The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2018, 11:59 PM   #26
Snake Eyes USA

Re: Where exatcly do the decals go for.....(Images added)

I wish. No father was decorated WW2 vet. Im just a civilain. Thank you for your service. Good bit of info to know though. California is a lost cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I get the sense that you are in the military. If so, I believe you can register your truck in a state other than California if your home of record is elsewhere, and your driver's license reflects that. Almost any other state will give you less grief. I had several stateside assignments and never changed the plates to register my car(s) in the duty assignment states...though my home of record was California.
Snake Eyes USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:59 AM   #27
randy.powell

So to continue this thread on different decal locations (and I have searched endlessly on the board and have seen them somewhere but can't find them now) could anyone post a pic of where the blue manufacturer date decal goes on the driver's door jam? Also would like a pic of the square "GM" decals that are on both the driver and passenger doors. I think this thread covers all the others.
TIA,
Randy
randy.powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #28
VWNate1

Post Re: Where exatcly do the decals go for.....(Images added)

Interesting thread as the truck doesn't need to be smogged in California, only 1976 > does so the decal isn't even required .

If your VIN inspection is being held up by this decal, you've got an @$$hole who's simply jerking you around .

Try a different CHP office or the Auto Club .

The decal's original location depended on the assembly plant as well as the mood of the guy who slapped them on when new .

Usually the owner's booklet and shop manuals showed them on the air cleaner housing, mostly on the vertical side, often on the snorkel but often on the radiator core support too, when I was a Dealer mechanic we'd make jokes about how often they appeared randomly placed, how drunk the assembly line workers were etc..... .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:45 PM   #29
Snake Eyes USA

You are correct for smog. But than there is emissions. 1968 and newer. One in the same to us but not to California who wants to be gas-less and green. The California CARB center is making it tough for us. We have been singled out. Lucky for me I have a few friends in right places who when I get to that point will make it easy to pass and register.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
Interesting thread as the truck doesn't need to be smogged in California, only 1976 > does so the decal isn't even required .

If your VIN inspection is being held up by this decal, you've got an @$$hole who's simply jerking you around .

Try a different CHP office or the Auto Club .

The decal's original location depended on the assembly plant as well as the mood of the guy who slapped them on when new .

Usually the owner's booklet and shop manuals showed them on the air cleaner housing, mostly on the vertical side, often on the snorkel but often on the radiator core support too, when I was a Dealer mechanic we'd make jokes about how often they appeared randomly placed, how drunk the assembly line workers were etc..... .
Snake Eyes USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #30
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Not sure what changed since I was a SMOG mechanic. Are they inspecting for proper equipment? The truck is exempt, BUT should still have the equipment installed. I'm puzzled though, why you're having issues. In general, anything produced before 1976 is exempt from any inspection at all. Now, if the block has a production code for 1976 or newer, that may not apply, and you may have to have the correct equipment and SMOG inspections for the newer engine. If there is a pile of equipment that needs to be installed, you might be able to get a waiver due to cost or lack of availability of the equipment. I've written waivers for both cases, in the past. Not sure what your situation is, though.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:56 PM   #31
VWNate1

Post Smog Decals

He doesn't know what he's talking about ~ this was how I made my living for decades .

When I brought my '69 C/10 in from out of state, they didn't care, they can't and are not allowed to .

Either there's more to this story or it's one more pissed off Chippie who likes to make problems for people, I see this fairly often .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote