The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2019, 12:00 AM   #26
Abomb

Re: What about “fixing” the patina

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Nice shoebox too!
Thank you, I’ve been slowly plucking away at that one for almost 10 years, maybe it’ll be done in time for my son to take it to prom....he’s only a freshman now...or maybe it’ll be broke down that day...
Abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:17 AM   #27
sick472

You've got a good patina'd truck. You only get that once, naturally. I believe in natural patina only. Clean it, buff, it wax it, maybe do some rust hole repairs and leave in primer, but no clear coat, no painting and sanding back through. About the only thing I would consider is adding a personalized fake patina'd logo to the doors. Beyond that, patina should be earned not made.

There are some great artist that can fake-tina really, really well, but it's not the same. I really like the last photo you post of your truck cleaned up. Maybe think about the white wheels, but the look you have is great. I might even think about some raised letters, but stick with the black rims the next time you need to buy tires.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:36 AM   #28
Abomb

Cleanliness won out, I’ve already touched up the doors, and next I’m going to mask and clean up the red on the hood and roof...I’m actually a pretty decent artist, and have already blended some patina in over repairs on another truck...it’s not too hard to do with just good quality paint in spray cans and a good buffer...you just need an eye for when, where, and how much paint would naturally wear and fade. My reasoning for this is the fact that a previous owner has already gotten carried away and over sanded to create “more” patina...it’s unnatural now, and I know I can fix it...plus, the existing paint is responding really well to some buffing....stay tuned for pictures....
Old 03-26-2019, 11:42 AM   #29
Abomb

And eventually, a door logo...My sons high school team is the Red Devils, so I’m thinking of a modified version of this...

Old 03-26-2019, 03:45 PM   #30
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
This ^^^ Drive and enjoy it. Save your money until you can afford a nice paint job.
I also have a belly button, er... opinion. As Ledd says, Drive it and enjoy it until you can afford a real paint job. To me, patina is a poor man's way to say I don't have enough for a decent paint job but I still want to sell it for top price. We can thank the cable TV shows for this craze. Eventually 'patina' will slink back into obscurity as the fad has almost worn off and people are stuck with vehicles they paid way too much for still needing an $8000 paint job.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:57 PM   #31
Abomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressbog View Post
I also have a belly button, er... opinion. As Ledd says, Drive it and enjoy it until you can afford a real paint job. To me, patina is a poor man's way to say I don't have enough for a decent paint job but I still want to sell it for top price. We can thank the cable TV shows for this craze. Eventually 'patina' will slink back into obscurity as the fad has almost worn off and people are stuck with vehicles they paid way too much for still needing an $8000 paint job.
It’s not about affording the paint job, I paint my own stuff, including the 55 pictured above, it’s the fact that it’s a daily driver that will be parked at a grain elevator at least 5 days a week...maybe someday I’ll turn it into a project, but for now I just want a neat driver that will turn heads, but not not make me scared to drive it daily....after you sink a year or two or three (who’s counting, it’s supposed to be a hobby) of spare time into bodywork and paint, you don’t want to park it in a dirty parking lot filled with heavy truck traffic...
Old 03-26-2019, 04:28 PM   #32
Coley

Cool Re: What about “fixing” the patina

The patina thing is an interesting thing...and has a lot of validity, so why does it sometimes bring on the flack?

For me, the idea of a nicely worn truck still in use is something I greatly appreciate. If it was a good runner and a solid, useful truck...then its earned its patina stripes and I probably wouldn't mess with it much....nor would I mess with most of its originality.
With those circumstances it would indeed be 'the real deal'...and we probably all appreciate that.

Where it seems to come off the rails is the portrayal of a truck looking worn....so not many people like imposters, lol...so the patina's sometimes bring criticism for this possibility.
Now this seems to 'amp' up when a patina'd truck starts to dip into the heavy 5 figure $$ investment range to get it there, so it looks economic or basic or cheap or?....then it starts to be a slightly confusing situation.

Regardless of opinion up or down, we are all different and have different tastes and would park beside a patina truck (original or 'made') all day long....no sweat, no trouble, no problems.
Build and drive what you like....and respect and appreciate those around you.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:14 PM   #33
saxart

I think your plans in the original post are good. If nothing else, it needs to lose the green hood. It's just too much going on. I like how you've tied the red from the roof into the top of the hood to make it more of a cohesive look. I could go either way on the blue shapes you've designed. I see what you're doing there, but to some it's a turn off. Have you thought about getting rid of that bottom blue section all together with some white paint? If someone were good with fogging it into the white that is already on the truck, you'd barely be able to tell, and could keep the worn doors and rear fender tops. (Don't go that high with the white paint and maybe scuff up the fender steps to bring back some of the worn look.)

Here's a philosophical thought for all to consider. You said the truck was delivered as a forest dept truck. Originally it was green, then someone obviously painted the entire truck red (you can see red paint showing through down under the blue at the bottom) who knows how the white and blue got there. So the truck has already been painted 2-3 times in it's life. It's painting it again really ruining anything? To me that's just another page of the history book. I'd make the top of the hood red, and get rid of the blue with white paint, then see what you've got. If you don't like that, you could always paint it that beautiful green the Grumpy suggested. LOL

Like Coley said above, build and drive what you like...and respect and appreciate those around you. This is a cool thread.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:39 PM   #34
Abomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
I think your plans in the original post are good. If nothing else, it needs to lose the green hood. It's just too much going on. I like how you've tied the red from the roof into the top of the hood to make it more of a cohesive look. I could go either way on the blue shapes you've designed. I see what you're doing there, but to some it's a turn off. Have you thought about getting rid of that bottom blue section all together with some white paint? If someone were good with fogging it into the white that is already on the truck, you'd barely be able to tell, and could keep the worn doors and rear fender tops. (Don't go that high with the white paint and maybe scuff up the fender steps to bring back some of the worn look.)

Here's a philosophical thought for all to consider. You said the truck was delivered as a forest dept truck. Originally it was green, then someone obviously painted the entire truck red (you can see red paint showing through down under the blue at the bottom) who knows how the white and blue got there. So the truck has already been painted 2-3 times in it's life. It's painting it again really ruining anything? To me that's just another page of the history book. I'd make the top of the hood red, and get rid of the blue with white paint, then see what you've got. If you don't like that, you could always paint it that beautiful green the Grumpy suggested. LOL

Like Coley said above, build and drive what you like...and respect and appreciate those around you. This is a cool thread.
It’s actually only been painted once, what looks like red showing through the blue is surface rust from sanding off a phone number. The spid shows special green paint, for the Forrest service, and then I believe the red white and blue dates back to Carr Auto Electric, who used it as a service or shop truck...Just the brush strokes that remain lets me know that their signage was on top of the red white and blue...if this had never been sanded off, I wouldn’t be touching it, but who knows how many previous owners have taken sand paper to it since...I get it though, you wouldn’t sell a company truck to someone and leave your information all over the side of it I guess....
Old 03-26-2019, 05:50 PM   #35
saxart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomb View Post
It’s actually only been painted once, what looks like red showing through the blue is surface rust from sanding off a phone number. The spid shows special green paint, for the Forrest service, and then I believe the red white and blue dates back to Carr Auto Electric, who used it as a service or shop truck...Just the brush strokes that remain lets me know that their signage was on top of the red white and blue...if this had never been sanded off, I wouldn’t be touching it, but who knows how many previous owners have taken sand paper to it since...I get it though, you wouldn’t sell a company truck to someone and leave your information all over the side of it I guess....
Oh, I thought I saw some red poking through on the driver's side rear fender step.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:56 PM   #36
Abomb

For better or worse, I did it...it still needs buffed some more, actually, the whole truck will get a good buffing, and a coat of wax...
Old 03-26-2019, 11:12 PM   #37
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressbog View Post
There's posts dating back over 10 years warning the dreaded demise of the patina look, and it's probably more popular now than it was then. It is mostly because the ridiculous price of a good paint job these days, but other guys spend $25K+ on cars/trucks and still not paint them. A lot of guys like a vehicle they can jump in and go anywhere and not worry about sand pitting, door dings, etc. I've typically driven my weathered vehicles more than my shiny ones.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:04 PM   #38
jbailly

Yes I know it's not a truck, but this is what I like when I hear patina all original and extremely well preserved. This was my Dad's '67 Impala that was parked fall of '77 and just back on the road August 2018. Only has 33,xxx miles.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2019, 10:04 PM   #39
67ranchhand

I agree with 67c-30. That is one of the reasons I bought a patina truck. This truck was used as a truck from day one. It shows it too. I am going to use this truck just like my 2006 truck. Except I won’t drive it in salt. But I built my Monte Carlo a couple years ago and I can’t drive it or use it for 90% of the things I do or the places I go. Just saying I like the “original” patina look. Painted patina is ok but doesn’t tell you what this truck has been through.
To the op, it’s your truck man. Whatever you like and want. Personally I think what you’ve done is great and after you put that logo on the doors, it will really look even better. Nice truck and this is just my 2cents.
67ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:26 PM   #40
Abomb

A little touching up, and a lot of buffing, and here it is...

Old 03-30-2019, 10:26 PM   #41
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

That truck is some 8" steelies on the rear and some '67 factory dog dishes from being perfect! (IMO)

My trucks

Old 03-30-2019, 10:44 PM   #42
Abomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
That truck is some 8" steelies on the rear and some '67 factory dog dishes from being perfect! (IMO)
Thanks, and I am actively looking for both...
Old 03-30-2019, 10:49 PM   #43
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Are you planning on white or chrome caps?

My trucks

Old 03-30-2019, 10:58 PM   #44
Abomb

Quote:
Are you planning on white or chrome caps?
I just looked on eBay, holy cow, people are proud of those...I guess I’d rather have stainless or chrome, however, if I stumble across white ones, they sure looked good on white wheels on your 68...
Old 03-30-2019, 11:05 PM   #45
saxart

Wow! That truck looks 1,000-times better already. Nice work. I agree about the 8" steelies and maybe some 255's/70's. Nice job!
Old 03-30-2019, 11:20 PM   #46
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomb View Post
I just looked on eBay, holy cow, people are proud of those...I guess I’d rather have stainless or chrome, however, if I stumble across white ones, they sure looked good on white wheels on your 68...
Yeah, they are crazy expensive if they are nice, but if you're willing to accept some with dings and not perfect chrome, you can pick them up affordably - but you usually have to get them one or 2 at a time. Patience is key!

My trucks

Old 03-30-2019, 11:24 PM   #47
Abomb

Quote:
Yeah, they are crazy expensive if they are nice, but if you're willing to accept some with dings and not perfect chrome, you can pick them up affordably - but you usually have to get them one or 2 at a time. Patience is key!
I’m in far northwest Kansas, I’m sure there’s 10 full sets within 25 miles of me right now...it’s just a matter of stumbling across the right farmer’s pasture at the right time.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:44 AM   #48
clay68c10

Wow, that looks great. I’d drive that anywhere.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:33 PM   #49
HO455
Post Whore

If your going to logo the door may I suggest something vintage like these as opposed to the "Generic Speed/Hotrod Shop". Which you find at every car event.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:42 PM   #50
Wyo George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Here's a nice fix for the patina .
That's the proper way to fix it!
Wyo George is offline   Reply With Quote