The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2019, 10:34 PM   #26
factorystock

Re: 50$ each to mount new tires on split rims

The old 3 piece 17" is definitely a piece of history, rarely seen today for reasons already given. However, it was a common wheel installed on many heavy duty 3/4 and 1 tons from the late 40's to '68, the last year cataloged. Its old school, lots of heavy metal and lots of rubber, usually 7.50-17 bias ply. If a 100% restored '68 was seen at a car show with 17" rims, I'm sure the wheels would be noticed. This unit was auctioned off in the early 80's by a public utility company with its 17" wheels still intact.
Attached Images

factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:13 PM   #27
saxart

I've always wondered...

Is the danger with these split rims only during the airing up process, or are they always a danger once aired up, even when the wheels and tires are mounted on a truck?

If it's literally just during the airing up process, then I'd get a remote clip on air chuck with plenty of air hose and have at it myself. If the rims could be a danger when mounted on a running truck, then it may be time to look for new modern (one piece) rims.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:29 PM   #28
Killer Bee

^ mostly while inflating, that's why tire cages and clip-on chucks with extension hoses are recommended..

however, there is still some risk of separation of multi piece wheels while in service that a one piece drop center or billet wheel would not experience..

these failures could be caused by improper assembly, defective or corroded components, or impact damage from road hazard, collision, etc..

hope that helps..
Old 04-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #29
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

^ Yes, properly mounted and undamaged, these wheels collectively have rolled many millions of miles without a problem. It's only when someone doesn't know how to work on them or they get damaged in service that they are trouble. I've only ever worked on the 20" wheels, though, as we had a fleet of trucks to service (I worked in a gas station- it was a fence company- not "our" trucks) and only the big ones had the split rims.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #30
factorystock

The term " split rim" has become generic term for any multi piece rim, but rims used on Chevy pickups were multi piece rims, not " split rims" . Split rims, a design in which 2 equal pieces of rim came together in the middle an twisted into place were used only on 1 1/2 ton and 2 ton truck weight range, such as a C 50 or C 60. It was indeed not the greatest design, it had problems when rust set in and pieces were joined together properly. The other design multi piece wheels which the rings were on the outside where considered a much better design and still used in many applications today. The only problems on this style rim is when incorrectly mounted or when non original rings were mis matched to rim. It was the preferred wheel in heavy duty construction where sidewalls had to be very tuff off road and tubes would hold the air better when hitting rocks or curbs. Another reason for the multi piece wheel was it much easier to slide a heavy duty bias ply tire onto a rim in the field instead of using a tire machine to bend the bead over the lip of a solid rim.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:31 PM   #31
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Indeed. The wheels you saw on the '70 Z28 and then in '71 on the SS Chevelles and El Caminos until the "colonnade" vehicles were technically a "split" rim.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:36 AM   #32
68panelman

Personally, I would have to do it, your truck looks great with OE 17" rims.
I always gringe when my dually needs new tires, or one of the other trucks with 35's $$$, just one of those items that aren't cheap anymore, not that they ever were, but prices for services have gotten ridiculous

Last edited by 68panelman; 04-11-2019 at 06:46 AM.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:28 AM   #33
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Indeed. The wheels you saw on the '70 Z28 and then in '71 on the SS Chevelles and El Caminos until the "colonnade" vehicles were technically a "split" rim.
Split rims ?

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #34
special-K
Special Order

I was think (watch out!) ing... They make fake bead lock wheels so guys can have the look of real bead lock rings. How about if someone would make fake 2pc rim-look trim rings so guys can have the look of real 2pc rim wheels? Just thinking

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-12-2019 at 07:52 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:01 AM   #35
68panelman

Sometimes the tires basically weld themselves to the rim with rust. The price reflects this, they might cut you a break for any easier dismounts
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:05 PM   #36
Rooster73

the solid ring type was horrible, beat the ring down, find the small notch, break over lip, and hit it. after years of service they become oblong. the 2 piece had dimples that lined up and locked together, if no tire cage [field service] you would air up on rear dual , would blow inward. big mistake not to air up just enough to seat, then check your gaps. the 2 piece rings, spilt ring locked into solid outer was very safe, a million kids walked by them getting off school buses 9.00x20, before they all went solid 11r 22.5 common. flats on D.U.C.K.S.was the worst, decades under water.
Rooster73 is offline   Reply With Quote