The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2020, 12:48 AM   #26
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: New cabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
My opinion is there are pretty much no rust free cabs. Maybe no rust visible but nothing rust free. There's always the VIN issue on a replacement.

Here's a link. Probably a bit far but give it a click.
I've seen some amazingly good stuff from southern OK, so you might check OK city and south CL for grins.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pt...159786660.html
Thanks.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:11 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

I see rust free cabs go for $2,500 at Carlisle, usually from AZ. Maybe they cost more now, I didn't ask. Even if minimal rust is fantastic and would put you miles ahead compared to buying a new cab for all that money. I was drooling over an original paint small window '67 cab last weekend. It only had rust at the outer floor on the passenger side.

When I saw a perfect pair of N.O.S. doors for $2,500 my first thought was "What about the rest of the truck that would be worthy of those?". I'm having the same thought on the new cab. I'm picturing close to a six figure truck.

We use rust free as a relative term, everyone knows that. Same goes for "perfect", which the new cab and doors would appear to be. I think it's great a whole cab has been developed. Just noting I could ever dream of buying, or much of anyone I know into these trucks. I think anything replacement part developed is a good thing.

There is more to consider when it comes to fitment with a reproduction cab than Sheetmetal.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:23 AM   #28
franken

NOS doors for $2,500? I've got a pair of essentially perfect Ocher 71 doors for my 72 in the other room--if you disregard the large shallow dent in one and the bullet hole from a passenger shooting the truck accidentally. I think I paid less than 100 for the pair.

All these trucks rusted in the rockers and cab corners. It's just a fact of the design, prep, and painting of the time, and they rust from the inside. Thus, a rust free cab is rusted, we just can't see it--yet.

And yes, to me rust free means surface rust, but no rust holes. Correct me if I'm confused, which I often am.

Last edited by franken; 08-15-2020 at 01:43 AM.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:01 AM   #29
Leonard1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfcamaro View Post
I remember the Dyna Corn 67-69 Camaro bodys were more 8-9 yrs ago
AND I remember the huge argument over them on the Camaro forums...

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
https://mrc10.com/product-category/1...gm-truck-cabs/
...This hobby is going to the rich. This ole blue collar boy needs to start restoring Cadillacs
The very reason I had to quit messing with first gen Camaros almost 20 years ago, and moved on to my second favorite GM vehicles (these trucks)
Leonard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:31 AM   #30
maverickmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1 View Post
AND I remember the huge argument over them on the Camaro forums...

The very reason I had to quit messing with first gen Camaros almost 20 years ago, and moved on to my second favorite GM vehicles (these trucks)
Me too. Had a '67, actually got out of it with minimal damage to the wallet (which is subjective, of course ). Currently in C3's and these trucks.

Not to brag, but I don't need alcohol to make really bad decisions.

1969 GMC Short Step Side
maverickmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:45 PM   #31
bhemingson

That price is more than i paid for any of my trucks. I just bought a pretty decent parts truck. '68 1/2 ton good bed sides and near rust free cab (needs 6"one outer rocker) no running gear. Missing a door and fender for about $1500 USD ($2,000 CDN) That leaves me $9,000 for labor or other parts.
bhemingson is offline   Reply With Quote