The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2004, 02:20 PM   #26
Low87on20s
Live from Atlanta

Hey ChevyChic, sorry to hear about your truck. But congratulations on the new drop top!

I have only owned 1 drop top in my life, 89 5.0 Convt LX Mustang, and I will never own another! It was fun at first during the summer in Atlanta, but when the colder weather came I was ready to let someone else own it. I used the $$ from that sale to drop my 87 and put the 20s on it.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:35 PM   #27
Prerunner1982

you certainly need a good heater.. the soft top jeeps i have ever been it had pretty damn good heaters.
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 02:48 PM   #28
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally posted by Prerunner1982
you certainly need a good heater.. the soft top jeeps i have ever been it had pretty damn good heaters.
Aint that the truth...my fiance's 99 TJ will just about melt ya!
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 04:05 PM   #29
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by bigblock73

Aint that the truth...my fiance's 99 TJ will just about melt ya!
What makes them so hot? Do they just run higher temp thermostats in them, or do they supplement the heat with something?

Heather,
Still waiting for the pics of the "Chick-mobile".

Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 05:19 PM   #30
chevychic

Thanks for the support guys!!

CRroy: I'm debating on whether to keep the 700r4 tranny when I rebuild. To be honest, I'm about sick of those transmissions cuz it's not like I ran it hard, low, or hot. I'm seriously considering going manual when the time comes. I'm just not sure exactly what. I still have to get out there and find out exactly what's wrong cuz it may not be the tranny.

Zilverado: It's a nice sunny day today so when I get off work, I'll take some pics

Oh and it has a very good heater. And A/C...not that I need A/C in a convertible but if I don't want the top down messing up my hair, I can still keep cool :p

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
chevychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 05:38 PM   #31
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Heather, while you're at it, go with a 465/205 combo to replace your 700R4 and 208(?) then when you get that 60 you were talking about a few weeks ago you'll have a bulletprrof truck.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 05:46 PM   #32
PHOENIX

For a 4wd the sm465 is a great tranny. Its very tough!
I have two of them right now and dont want either for my 2wd.
The gearing is not good for a street truck, but great for 4x4.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:24 PM   #33
Grim Reaper

Ohhhh you got a devil car. The car satan designed. Thos year VW's have assured my place in hell and as my torture I will be working on them and installing transmissions and timing belts for eterinity.

I have never had a vehicle cause me so much frustration as those. At one Time I had a GTI, My Mom had a Jetta, My romate had a Cabriolet like yours, my best friend had a Jetta I dentical to my moms except his was stick and was a real german on and my moms was a US built. I have had the transmssions out of all of them at one time or another. I made up MANY new cuss words to assure my place in hell

Went to do a timing bely in moms at 60k, 3 days later after having to drill three stripped out bolts for the crank end, removing all accessories to get the water pump house off to drill out 5 broken off 6mm bolts.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:18 PM   #34
chevychic

Grim, That sucks.

Luckily I have 2 friends locally that are experts with these cars. I work with one of them and he says I got a great deal. I know there are some minor things that need replaced but they don't cost much and I plan to get them taken care of right away.

The funny thing is while I've been researching this car for the past few months and talking to people I know that have had them or know people that have, everyone has loved them and says they run forever. You're only the second person that I've found that doesn't like them and coincidentally the other person worked on them too.
Either way, I figure this car will get me by for now and if I end up selling it cuz of problems, come spring and summer time, it'll have a decent resale value.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
Old 02-11-2004, 12:05 AM   #35
Grim Reaper

I am a little harsh. My GTI neve gave me trouble whne it wasn't in the body shop getting pasted back together. Other then replaciing the clutch in it and my roomins Cab they were routine maintance. My buddy had a old lad pull out in front of him and he hit her so hard it wrinkled the roof when it was a month old and they didn't total it. Other then a clutch he paid me to install he had no problems. He ran that car into the earth and gave it away the day he graduated dental School and got his diploma.

My moms Jetta was a lemon and jinxed. It was stollen two weeks after she bought it new. Recovered with $4k in damage.

With 20k on the odometer it puked a transmission. 3k later it puked another and they accused my mom of being at fault. I just about ripped the service mangers spin out of his A$$ for the comment. at 60K it puked another tranny and we had to get VW america to eat it after a huge fight with the dealer JIM ELLIS. Then I went to do the general mainatinace and had a fun three days sweating if I was going to ruin the crank. Off and on durring this time the car developed a run problem that I could not find. 2 new fuel pumps, many FI parts exchanged I could not find the problem. I washed my hands of the POS.
Mom finds this VW shop and it took them 2 weeks to finnaly find the problem. The guy was totaly kewl and did not rip her off. She had already spend over $1k trying to fix this. He just started swapping a part drove it till is screwed up then swapped another. It was a bad Fuse box. Bad connection on the fuel pump fuse and it had formed electrolisis. This guy charged my mom $150 total.

Now understand this car is babbied. Alsways garaged, always premium, Always had oil changed at 3k. It was never abused in any way but when it was stolen.

In 2001 the car has 87k on the clock (it's a 87). My grandmother is on her death bed. Mom flies up to Detroit. My sister and I are supose to meet her in Detroit 2 days later in this car. 250 miles from home it pukes it's 4th tranny . I dump it at a Mr. Transmission he tries to screw me over and I am now in a lawsuit over them ripping us off for $400 and fruad. Rented a car got to Cincinatti when My wife calls me to tell me her mom passed. Turned around and came home.

Next day go fetch that POS with a truck I paid $1 for.

Ithrew a $250 used tranny in it. to get it rolling My mom was so pissed she traded it for $300 off a 2001 Toyota Rav4 (now has 5k on it).

That car was cursed I tell ya!

I use to have a huge soft spot for VW's. I was riding in VW's since I was 2. I came home in a 356c Cabriolet Porsche My sister came home in a 67 Squareback. My first car was a 73 VW 412 my folks bought new. It was replaced with a Vanagon and I got the 412. I also had a 62 Bus. You could say I have run the gamit on VW's then I found Chevy's. I do have a soft spot for the Cabriolets. I think it's more because I'm a convertable guy. Up till a year ago all my vehicles were topless (70 LeMans convert, Supra Targa, 75 Jimmy, 79 Blazer)

Last edited by Grim Reaper; 02-11-2004 at 12:10 AM.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 12:31 AM   #36
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

grim- i dont know whats worse, owning all those vee dubs or having to work on them

heather: keep me informed about your truck. Like ive said before if you lived down the street (I-5) a little closer we would have your truck running so damn good. ahh well. What can you do? If it is the tranny and its not under warranty, bowtie overdrives has a great deal on their level 1 tranny ahem.

oh- did you ever go out and see if "park" holds the truck from moving? im sure curious to find out what happened to that thing.

good luck

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 12:55 AM   #37
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

4 speed, 4 speed, 4 speed.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:24 AM   #38
bulkin'up73chevy

Who lives near I-5. I'm near vancouver and looking for some info and maybe some local help. Kinda new to the whole mechanics thing. thanks guys. Oh and what part of I-5 i hope near washington
77 GMC FLATBED 502 CADDY BB.
85 CHEVY BLAZER (wrecked)
86 CHEVY LB 2WD 77,000 ORIGINAL MILES
86 RX7 "SOLD"
88 RX7 "SOLD"
88 SUPRA "SCRAPPED" DIVORCE SUCKS
2003 HONDA CBR 600 F4I "SOLD" DIVORCE SUCKS
bulkin'up73chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:58 AM   #39
chevychic

So when you moving closer to Oregon Mike??? You could even still stay in Cali since I'm only 20 miles from the border. The Oregon girls are much more down to earth than the Cali girls too

bulkin up: I live in Medford along I-5 in Southern Oregon. There are couple of members near Vancouver. If you're looking for someone more local, you might find them by posting on the general discussion.
Oh and welcome to the board

Grim: At least it was really only one really possessed car that caused you a lot of problems.
Glad to hear that you don't have to worry about it anymore.
I've also found a really cool VW mechanic in case my other 2 people can't help me or it's beyond them if I have problems.

- Christopher Robin

Last edited by chevychic; 02-11-2004 at 02:01 AM.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:26 AM   #40
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

ok, the fun is over Heather, go put the transfer case back in gear, and the husband will be amazed that you fixed it so easily (with the help of us of course) and you'll get to keep your new ride.

Last edited by 1FaastC10; 02-11-2004 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:30 AM   #41
chevychic

LOL

That's a cool pic Jeremy but it doesn't do me much good :p

- Christopher Robin
Old 02-11-2004, 02:35 AM   #42
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

sorry, i attempted to steal a smiley from CK5, that's all that was. :/
Old 02-11-2004, 02:41 AM   #43
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

if you're looking for pics that will help you, maybe this will work.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:25 AM   #44
chevychic

Dang...I was hoping you were directing me to a link that maybe had a solution to my problem.

Mike: I forgot to tell you that I didn't try that yet. Hopefully tomorrow evening. We need to push the truck back some anyways cuz it's parked on the street and partially blocking my driveway. Have I mentioned that I really need a garage???

- Christopher Robin
Old 02-12-2004, 01:45 AM   #45
ElCaminogirl65

Thats too bad but you'll have her back in no time I would guess.

Steph
ElCaminogirl65 is offline   Reply With Quote