The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2004, 02:04 AM   #26
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Mike, Look into Dynomax Super Turbos. They are pretty quiet to me, and I HATE loud exhaust. In fact I hate loud music. I am very protective of my ears and avoid loud music at all cost. If you can't appreciate it at a normal level it isn't worth listening to.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:09 AM   #27
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Yeah, you don't have to be "old" to have hearing loss. I'll jump in this thing too. I have had the same ringing for years now. I got tested when I was in my 20's and got the same results.

Along with too many front row tickets to rock concerts when I was a kid, I also worked in a sheetmetal shop. They thought any kind of protection device was for p@ssies. Beating the weld flat on 10" pipe with a small sledge does wonders for your hearing
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:40 AM   #28
Grim Reaper

Keep this to the top when you try mufflers.

The burb needs one. It's restricting flow. Like you I want quiet. This is the family ride and tow rig for our camper. Want the performance.

The stock muffler is HUGE and it has a resinator after the muffler. I always thought they went before. Little rumble would be ok to let you know it's a big block at idle Some noise at WOT would be fine. It has to be quite and not droan between 2000-3500 RPM. WIth the TH400 and 3.73 my normal 70mph cruise is 2900 RPM.

Surprising to me I ran a super Turbo on my Supra and while It made some noise outside it was quiet inside. I ran a set of 40 series on the 79 K5 and they droaned horribly. NEVER EVER run them again on a SUV.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:52 AM   #29
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

The DynoMax Super Turbo is engineered with patented flow directors to channel exhaust gases and minimize turbulence. In addition, the exhaust unit features large internal tubes to maximize exhaust flow and to offer a pleasing mellow sound tone. Super Turbo mufflers are manufactured using aluminized steel materials; depending on the model, each muffler is either doubled wrapped or arc welded for long service life. Super Turbo mufflers are available in both round and oval configurations in a wide range of sizes, including many direct-fit models. Some direct-fit options feature T-304 stainless outlet spouts. Other muffler offerings include a Heavy Duty Super Turbo for truck and RV applications and a Hemi Super Turbo that's ideal for big block engines.

http://www.tenneco-automotive.com/ne...1021999_6.html

Copy from a magazine testing quite mufflers.
http://www.boyleworks.com/ta400/psp/exhaust.html

Link to sound byte of regular (not hemi) dynomax turbo mufflers.
http://pysales.com/movies/68GTO-out-25nox-sturbo.MPG

The model number is 17749
http://www.dynomax.com/documents/super_turbo_specs.pdf

With oval mufflers longer ones are quieter than the shorter ones.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:20 PM   #30
78chevstepside

I have enter ear problems. for the last three months. I have vertigo and constant fullness in the head, dizziness with some ringing . I have been to two e.n.t. doctors . the first e.n.t. said I had lateral( left ear) menieres disease. ( meniere's org .com good site for enter ear problems ) inter ear problems are very hard to diagnose. I have had every test you can think of. hearing, Mri, blood, e.n.g. balance test( they blew air in my air and I got vertigo right now). a lot people with tinntius also have real bad vertigo( fall down dizziness alot like being sea sick but alot worse). Lucky me I dont have fall down vertigo or throw up. There is nothin more scarry then your first vertigo attack. I went to the emergancy room they thought I was having a heart attack. Caffiene and achohol, salt intake aggravates inter ear problems along with stress. I can drink coffee and feel sick right away. for the first 2 months I have been unable to work( things are real slow anyway) cause I kept having attacks of vertigo. I would be unable to get out of bed for 2 days. Anti-vert and valuim tend to make you sleepy. Then I would get well enough so I could drive , then I would feel good for a couple days then bingo, another attack. I finally found a e.n.t. doctor that helped. the first doctor put me on a duretic dyazide. this helped me be able to at least function. but I wasnt right. He put me on some medications that didnt do squat. The next e.n.t said that I had allergies not menieres. He put me on alprazolam so I wouldnt be dizzy 24/7. So I had allergy tests. They found I was allergic to dust, mold, trees . I went and bought a air purifier for my house and I felt alot better away( less fullness in the head). this week I start allergy shots. I have been a field construction boilermaker welder for 24 years. I never used ear protection unless I was like arc gouging or something like that. For a while I thought I would never be able to work again. Well at least not crawling around on boilers or being able to do x-ray pressure welding. Now I guess I will be wearing a half mask respirator all the time and ear plugs. Loud noises do tend to bother me now. Alot of people with tinntius put one of those electric water falls in there bedroom so they can sleep at night. I have been doing alot of reading over the last three months on enter ear problems. alot of the time with a hand over one eye so I can focus on the puter screen. Yep bringing up enter ear problems struck a nerve with me. This has been a ongoing thing for me for a while . And these enter ear problems can be real fustrating . Not all ent doctors are equal. I learned more on the puter then any doctor. But last ent seemed to found some help for me. I would have never even thought of allergies. You might consider running double mufflers to make your truck quiet.
78chevstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 09:44 PM   #31
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Dang, looks like you've seen it rough. I hope everything works out for you. Keeping my fingers crossed for you for sure.

Mike
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 10:43 PM   #32
TOMMAY

Talking

Thought I had it too,but when I got rid of my last ex,the noise went away.

Seriously,my mother has suffered from Meineres disease for several years now and it's devastating.She'll be better for a while and then out of the blue another attack.She's afraid to drive now and she really hates that.

Good luck to all of you.

Tom
Old 03-02-2004, 01:29 AM   #33
Bowed

Mike , A lot of us have tinnitus . I have had it for many years . At first it bothered me greatly because it was an intrusion that was always there but after a while I learned to dial it out . The more you can get yourself to ignore it the smaller the effect will be on you . Good luck .
Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 03:38 AM   #34
Low83

Come on guys what's with all the whinning , i'm 51 and still love the sound of the ole SBC, my 83 has the FLOWS dumped in front of the axle and I still love to cruise with the rest of em'. call it second childhood or whatever but you only live once so go out there and have some fun, as the saying goes"If it's too loud ,your too old" , if the trucks too loud and the ride too rough then sell it and buy your self a BUICK.

P.S. After 20 years of working on NAVY jets my hearing is still pretty good and yeah I like to listen to my music loud and watch my Home Theater loud too with no ringing. IMPACT.
Low83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:04 AM   #35
78chevstepside

you may be right I was blowing off some steam. It made me feel better. all I might add is that when you have meinieres or tinntuis loud noises hurt. your right noone wants to read whinning or gloomy threads. sitting on my watch ,so I can be on time. :p
78chevstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:38 AM   #36
DCRANER

Hey Mike.

I can tell you from years of experience in restoring SS 396 / 454 Chevelles that the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers, due to their design & long length, are a very good choice and still maintain good flow. Also, you can check with Ausley's Chevelle Parts right in your area and simply add the resonators like a stock SS 396 / 454 Chevelle. Place the mufflers as close to the middle as possible and the resonators in the rear with a 2 1/ 2 inch pipe. The 2 1/2 inch pipe will maintain exhaust velocity & low end torque. This combination used to give the Chevelles a factory sound inside & out with no interior resonance, but better exhaust flow.

As to the suspension I would just go with stock GM rubber bushings, shocks, etc.

Thanks & take care of yourself man.

Doug
86 GMC SWB, DK. BLUE, ZZ430,TH400, 4.11'S, HEADMAN CERAMIC HEADERS, WELD BILLETS, BFG 275 / 60 / 15, 325 / 50 / 15 DRAG RADIALS, FIBERGLASS COWL HOOD, B&M SHIFTER. MSD, MARCH PULLEYS / ALT. / PWR. STEER PUMP, BECOOL RAD., BILLET GRILL & GRANT WHEEL.
DCRANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 11:33 AM   #37
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I ran a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler on this truck awhile back. Had it about 2 feet behind the converter. It got do hot from all the heat, it busted the seams open on the muffler. It was a single inlet and dual outlet, and it was loud too. Not as loud as the dual Aero's, but I think it would still be louder that what I'm after now. Still thinking on this subject.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 03-02-2004, 03:03 PM   #38
8t5Silverado
Mudslides 'r my specialty

My truck is currently quiet, but I am going to put Flowmasters on it.

Mike, that is a cool setup you've got.

Maybe these trucks have some affect on our ears.

I think I have a very slight Meneires (sp) disease. It is horrible and comes from nowhere.

I turned my head one morning, and it was instantaneous vertigo and other stuff I won't mention. I mentioned it to my mom, and she said "Oh yeah, your Grandpa and Great Grandma have that."

First I had heard of it.

Anyway, the only time I get it lately is when I am on my back, working under the truck. Very strange.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/500339
8t5Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:14 PM   #39
03glide
Sell it before it's finished

I'd like to be 2nd in line if ocbaud doesn't get the muffs.
03glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:26 PM   #40
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally posted by 03glide
I'd like to be 2nd in line if ocbaud doesn't get the muffs.
You are third, I am second in line.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 10:30 AM   #41
elwood
Keep it gangsta!

Try some California turbos, made by Thrush. I have them (and an H pipe) on my rig, and they are pretty quiet, close to stock, and not restrictive. Easy on your wallet too...around $20 each. I wouldn't recommend them in the rust belt, as they are pretty inexpensive, they wouldn't last very long.

It's old school, but moves along nicely...

'78 C-20 - SOLD
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 02:48 PM   #42
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Sorry to hear about everything Mike Hopefully you can get teh truck where you want it to be soon and get rid of the mufflers that are not hyelping your ears. On the bushings is the poly not giving enough play? Just curious on why you're changing out when I thought rubber wo out unlike poly's.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 03:33 PM   #43
Lester

Mike,

Too bad about your hearing, eventually everybody's hearing goes away some sooner than others. I know mine has faded some, starting with the first time we fired a round from an M60, it was so loud even with head gear I though we had been hit. I think hearing is probably # 4 or #5 on list of things that quit working as you get older I can't recall what the other are...

You may recall that I do custom hand built exhaust systems from time to time.

I have worked with several exhaust systems and you are right not one does everything, flow verses noise. The aerochamber which I have on one of my trucks with a 454 is basically a wide glasspack. If you recall you could see right thru this muffler. I think Hooker thought they could build a glasspack that would fit under most vehicles and sound good without being really loud. They were almost right. Using the glasspack as model the longer the glasspack the quieter and the shorter the louder. Hooker appears to have the idea that short and wide was the same as long...close. My aerochambers are loud by themselves but with glasspacks behind them they are much quieter. You can't do that in your case. BTW whoever did you exhaust did a very nice job. Good design too bad its too loud now.

IMO Dynomax makes a cheap muffler they do fall apart easily, the turbos, the unltra turbos and super turbos will all fail just like you described the seams split and the muffler unravels just like a stock muffler will. The RV version which you can buy from Jegs or Summit does not seem to have this problem has good flow and is fairly quiet. The Hemi version of this muffler does tend to stay together about as well. I have never done a redo or had any complaints on the RV or Hemi version.

I am not a Flowmaster 2 chamber muffler fan, but I have had good luck with the 3 chamber BBC version of their mufflers, both personally and for others. They do stay together, much like the aerocambers. I have a pair of 3 chambers BBC units under a 2wd 77 C10 that sound nice. My mufflers are in front of the axle with an H pipe and exit under the bumper. This truck has a 454. At some point I will be adding glasspacks behind the axle to see what that sounds like.

The aerochambers were part of a trade so I used them on my truck to see what they sounded like.

There are two kinds of resonators. One goes in front of the muffler(s) and are empty. The work by suddenly expanding the hot gases which takes the noise out of the exhaust and slows it down so when it hits the muffler you don't get the boom boom boom sound in the muffler and lets the muffler remove the rest of the exhaust note. The other type of resonator has baffles inside and usually lives behind the muffler to help reduce high frequency noise from the exhaust the muffler could not handle. These are intended to help reduce the drone in your exhaust but do not reduce the pounding sounding you can hear inside the muffler.

I think aerochambers miss the boat because they are too short and wide does not make us for being short.

I'd consider adding glasspacks in front of your mufflers in front of the axles, if possible. The longer the better. Long glasspacks can handle a strong engine and will resist blow out. As they age they will evolve into an empty resonator.

Exhaust systems are trial and error, can be expensive to twiddle because everybody and every set up is different.

email me at videos@bright.net if you'd like to discuss further.

Good luck.
Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 08:10 PM   #44
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

What would be a good dual inlet and outlet muffer to but behind the converter and in front of the axle? Maybe adding another muffler like this would quieten it down a bunch. I really hate buying more mufflers since I like the Aeros. And you are right, it does get expensive experiementing with this stuff.

Still thinking as I'm in no hurry. I want to be pretty sure whatever I do will work to my satisfaction.

I'm open to suggestions on a dual inlet/outlet muffler.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

On the hearing thing, I have to go tomorrow and have ultra sound on my thyroid gland. The ENT doc said my right gland feels like it has a groder on it. It is enlarged. My luck. Go for a hearing test and find another problem. Probably have my throat slit next. My brother in law had a growth took off his several years back. The doc said most of the time they are not cancerous, but who knows. Then on the 11th, I've got to go have a ABR test run.

Mike

If it ain't one thing, it's ten.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:01 PM   #45
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

My Flowmaster 50 for the 96 Vortec 350 sounds like what you might want. Dual in dual out and supposedly very efficient. Not super loud either....just when you stomp on it

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 10:51 PM   #46
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

I have dynomax super turbo's on my truck and I really like em. I personally bent & welded all the 2.5" exhaust between the doug thorley's, and the mufflers, and never got around to continuing the pipes from the muffllers on, and its not that loud. They dont drone at all (but i swear they did when I first installed them ??) anyways, so with the exhaust dumping right after the muffler, they are very very reasonable. And I am happy with the quality. after at least a couple years now, they are holding up just fine. Even if they werent, for the price you cant go wrong. If you really want I could somehow get a sound/video clip of my exhaust..

as for everybodys setup, and taste being different- thats very true. But with my truck cruising in overdrive (first time ive gotten to say that!) the wind noise coming thru the aged weatherstripping is louder than the exhaust.. So I end up turning the music up to drown out the wind, not the exhaust...

mike, I wouldnt write off the dynomax stuff just yet! you might be surprised. I bought them a long time ago because I NEEDED a pair of muff's and I didnt have a lot of $ to spend on them at the time. to this point im very satisfied with them and would probably buy them again. I too want performance, but not a lot of annoying noise from my truck.

heres another thought--- my '91 suburban with a 454 and single exhaust has one muffler.. and yeah its huge but damn that thing is quiet. If you had two of those puppies, it would have to have excellent flow and would be soooo quiet.. I Think it would be really cool, in fact.

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 11:13 PM   #47
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Mike,

the last part of your post is exactly what I've been thinking about. Quiet and noiseless, but a killer. Sleeper for sure. Most people, even me, listen for exhaust note when I pull up beside another vehicle. The sound of the exhaust isn't what I listen for. It's the note of the cam and what lick it's hitting. If someone couldn't hear it, you could really make them sick when you beat them. Also, to tell you the truth, I'm just sick of hearing all these trucks running around my parts with Flowmasters on them.

Trouble with Dynomax Super Turbos on my truck is the cat converter. The one I had before was cooked in no time. A converter puts off tons of heat. More than any muffler that's not welded can take. This is one reason I put the mufflers at the back of the truck. I was wanting two mufflers and didn't have enough room up front. Damn emissions.

Right now at this moment, I'm leaning toward some type of big ass stock muffler. Could probably buy a couple pretty cheap just to try them. It wouldn't be hard to cut the pipes at the back and stick them on.

But, for time being, I've got other fish to fry. I really appreciate all the help from you guys. Keep it coming. I'm still thinking.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:42 PM   #48
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

doh. oh yeah, you already tried the super turbos

on the topic of quiet as hell exhaust, my burb is soooooo comfortable and pleasuresome (is that a word?) to drive, one of the key reasons being that its so quiet and the ride is xlnt.. The captains chairs help too If my 77 K25 is ever half as comfortable to drive as the 91 burb, Ill be in heaven

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 02:02 AM   #49
apstguy
LED King

I know they might not flow well, but stock 96-99 Tahoe mufflers are HUGE and don't let any sound escape. You can hear a very slight rumble if you listen.

1985 C10 305 w/ Bowtie OD TH700R4 3.42 LSD 202,000 miles
2006 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed Stick
2016 Chevy Spark EV
Gone: 2002.5 VW GTI 24v VR6
Gone: 2008 VW R32
apstguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 07:47 AM   #50
Mike76251

I have two of the biggest Dynomax Heavy Duty Super Turbo RV mufflers on my ride.
My main goal with the system was no noise from the truck 10 feet away at anything under 10 mph.
I certainly succeded and have VERY little back pressure to boot.........around 2 psi.
I would have put even bigger mufflers on there if anybody made 'em.
Mike76251 is offline   Reply With Quote