The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
CRGRS 66

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Hey McMurph, nice to see you chiming in here and there, and nice to see some pictures of your truck. I will be starting a thread in the near future for the work I have planned this winter, then you can pester me for updates

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
well thanks for check in on me mike, happy b-day and tell the wife happy b-day as well!! you have some really nice cars as well as land, when ever you come to oklahoma you have to let me know!! i got my wiring harness today i was surprized, i didnt think i would get it for another week!!

if you go with shorty headers or mid-length headers you will be ok to run your exhaust thru you trailer arm crossmember, as long as your exhaust doesnt hang below your frame you wont have to make to many bends in it! what kind of trans do you have?? there are some you can buy pretty cheap that will bolt right in!!
I have a 4 speed muncie 20 I am bolting in. It has the bolt holes at the end of it like an automatic does, so I figure a common cross member will work. If worse comes to worse I will try making one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modges'66 View Post
Looking very good!
Glad to see that you are back at it!
You gotta cherish the fact that your wifey digs it too!...How cool is that!
you have a good gig going there, Keep her happy!
She says I do....
We had a little birthday for her last weekend with a few friends, and while I was getting local coaching for my tranny rebuild I came across 15x8" Crager SS rims for her car for $300. Never been mounted with the lug nuts still in the bag, I figured I could not pass on that deal, and they are what she has always wanted for her LeMans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 View Post
Hey McMurph, nice to see you chiming in here and there, and nice to see some pictures of your truck. I will be starting a thread in the near future for the work I have planned this winter, then you can pester me for updates
It will be pretty cool to see what you come up with in your thread !! I look forward to it!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Beautiful Pontiacs you've got, I especially love the Tempest and the fact that you aren't trying to call it a GTO. Very cool! And the pickup looks like it's coming along nicely as well, keep at it my friend!
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:58 AM   #4
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

It's cool that your wife is right there digging into it with you. You both have very nice rides . As I was just reading & catching up on your build, I realize once again how much I enjoy these builds that are much like a life story. Since redoing my build thread, I'm trying to do the same. I think "Markeb01" does a very nice job detailing things in his build that make it more like reading a novel (& i'm typically not a big reader )...& I think you're another that does this well, along with many other guys here. It's nice to take a glimpse into the life of the person sitting behind that computer, possibly thousands of miles away, who shares the same passion for automobiles & other things in life. I think it just makes it more personal, & you feel like you get to know that "invisible" person better...and if you're fortunate like some of us (hopefully all at some point), you'll get a chance via this forum to meet some of these fellow members in person someday.

Good luck with your continued progress!

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
clemdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by likaroc13 View Post
It's cool that your wife is right there digging into it with you. You both have very nice rides . As I was just reading & catching up on your build, I realize once again how much I enjoy these builds that are much like a life story. Since redoing my build thread, I'm trying to do the same. I think "Markeb01" does a very nice job detailing things in his build that make it more like reading a novel (& i'm typically not a big reader )...& I think you're another that does this well, along with many other guys here. It's nice to take a glimpse into the life of the person sitting behind that computer, possibly thousands of miles away, who shares the same passion for automobiles & other things in life. I think it just makes it more personal, & you feel like you get to know that "invisible" person better...and if you're fortunate like some of us (hopefully all at some point), you'll get a chance via this forum to meet some of these fellow members in person someday.

dang, that was poetic. very well said... x2, and i don't use this little yellow guy often.
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.

I don't see any new pics of shhtuff goin on over here...Whats the hold-up? LOL!
Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #7
CRGRS 66

Quote:
kinda hafta agree, but I guess that I am not really in a position to talk now am I

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
Old 10-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #8
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryer1979 View Post
Beautiful Pontiacs you've got, I especially love the Tempest and the fact that you aren't trying to call it a GTO. Very cool! And the pickup looks like it's coming along nicely as well, keep at it my friend!
Thank you Fryer, I take that as a high compliment indeed! I am no purist by any stretch, I suppose if Hollywood approached me to use one of my rigs in a period piece, I would rethink it all; but for the most part no.
I came to realize one day with my original Tempest Custom that there were a lot fewer of the Tempest and LeMans at car shows than there were GTOs and clones. I would rather build or make something great, than imitate it. (for the most part... LOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by likaroc13 View Post

I know I am a pretty lucky guy, just as I know a lot of you out there have to beg, borrow, or sneak your time into the garage to work on your builds. I try to never take it for granted, even though it can be kind of spoiling me...
As for the story telling I have to look to Alan, MarkB, and Flips72 as they were the ones I recall the strongest for adding the human and living of life elements to their threads.
Me on the hand, I just like to write....

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
dang, that was poetic. very well said... x2, and i don't use this little yellow guy often.
I agree !!

Quote:
I did not get anything done, but now I do have some stuff done... here are your pics!!

Quote:
kinda hafta agree, but I guess that I am not really in a position to talk now am I
Your comments are always welcome here!
Like Modges and all the other guys, it is very motivating to know someone is actually reading this junk I put up here !!

So when I took my rear-diff cover off I had to massage it some from being dented up on the bottom edge. So to prevent that, and to give me a place to put my jack, I welded on a plate with a gusset under it for support.
Name:  23sep12.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  42.4 KB

Then I rolled that mess back up under the frame that I cleaned up and painted, and bolted all that back up again. The only addition I made to the stock set up was lock washers on the ends of the U-bolts. Better safe than sorry!
Name:  28sep12 (2).jpg
Views: 793
Size:  52.0 KB

Just a different view, like I told the wife today; I may not be able to make it work right, but I can make it pretty!
Yeah, she just laughed at me too ......
You can see the jack plate I made too. The gusset or brace is 2x2 square tubing I cut at angle. Nothing NASA here folks, sorry.
Name:  28sep12.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  46.2 KB

Well I meant to get my transmission married up to the engine today and REALLY have something to share, but alas, I was ganked by the guys at NAPA. The fly wheel I got was right diameter, right tooth count, wrong diameter for the crank shaft and bolt pattern to mount it on.... Talk about a disappointment !!

So then I got to looking at my power brake set up (I installed fresh rubber lines to the front calipers today too which put my mind in that frame). I had kept the steel lines from the donor rig, and in my tool buying frenzy I remembered I picked up a tube flare tool at some long lost garage sale. As soon as I found my tubing cutter I started dinking around with those steel lines.
Name:  30sep12  resiviour to porp-valve (3).jpg
Views: 778
Size:  34.4 KB

I thought it turned out pretty good, especially after I polished up the lines like chrome. (sorry no picture of that yet as I had to disassemble all this and shoot some paint)
Name:  30sep12  resiviour to porp-valve (4).jpg
Views: 778
Size:  36.7 KB

I got a plasma cutter a couple weeks ago, but really had not used it yet. So today I cut some 1/4 inch plate into some lifting shackles for the engine. I got it off the engine stand (to mount up my tranny) today and they worked great! I need to shoot a pic of them done which I forgot to do before I employed them.

I will save that for a raniy day, tomorrows post is going to be something special ..... well ...... special to me I suppose !!
See you then !

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 10-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Looking good McMurphy!!

BTW... it's tomorrow!

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_man5 View Post
Looking good McMurphy!!

BTW... it's tomorrow!
I agree, looking good... and it is tomorrow, yup, it is... Don't leave us hanging all day McMurph

Old 10-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #11
piratexpress1369a

nice work fur sure ..now lets see that bling lol

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5457281
piratexpress1369a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #12
chad64chevy

hey mcmurphy, the truck is looking good, i really like your progress pics! those brake lines came out great, its 7pm my time so weres the special update pics, lol!!! i have no room to talk but got to give you some motovation!!
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #13
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_man5 View Post
Looking good McMurphy!!

BTW... it's tomorrow!
Quote:
I agree, looking good... and it is tomorrow, yup, it is... Don't leave us hanging all day McMurph
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a View Post
nice work fur sure ..now lets see that bling lol
Ok some of you guys (see above) were up way too early today on top of the time zones away !! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
hey mcmurphy, the truck is looking good, i really like your progress pics! those brake lines came out great, its 7pm my time so weres the special update pics, lol!!! i have no room to talk but got to give you some motovation!!
I cannot understate the level of motivation this site gives me. You know that saying that it takes a village to raise a child yes?
Well you are all my village and I am the village idiot, and you all raised me !!!

So I figured a post on the one year anniversary of my starting this thread would be appropriate, with a couple of look-back comparisons of what I started with, and where I am at.
Kind of a photographic gut check for myself to keep me focused on the fact that I now have a goal of the 4th of July weekend to have this bad boy back on the road!

This is the truck the day I bought it. Just looking at it from this angle I have since shaved the leading edge of the cab roof, and repaired that old CB antenna hole, top center of the roof.
Name:  22sep11 1966 Chevy Stepside (2).jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  89.0 KB

Sadly all that old shag carpet had to go.... what a throw back to the '70s that was....made me want to keep on truckin' !! Among other things you can see the shave job I did on my fuel fill too.
Name:  22sep11 1966 Chevy Stepside (8).jpg
Views: 956
Size:  64.8 KBName:  01oct12 update (2).jpg
Views: 879
Size:  50.6 KB

Sadly I dont have the new engine in yet like I would have for these photos, but soon... kinda mind numbing when you see what I started with. Gosh I sure wish I had bought that pressure washer a LOT sooner than I did !!
Name:  22sep11 1966 Chevy Stepside (11).jpg
Views: 912
Size:  59.4 KBName:  01oct12 update (1).jpg
Views: 876
Size:  54.0 KB

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 10-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #14
McMurphy

And just a few more.

Not much more than a walk around shot of before and after,

Name:  25sep11 (3).jpg
Views: 878
Size:  66.8 KBName:  01oct12 update (4).jpg
Views: 864
Size:  45.5 KB

And for those who remember this mess.
I guess this was when I really knew I was in for a penny, in for a pound... probably one of the first and most proud parts of this build I have done so far. I was certainly out in uncharted waters when I did this job !!
Name:  26nov11 p-side bondo removal (6).jpg
Views: 876
Size:  41.2 KBName:  01oct12 update (3).jpg
Views: 874
Size:  31.9 KB

And that is all really for now.
On my to do list is getting my:
o engine and tranny married up and installed.
o plumb brake lines
o new shocks all the way around (ordered today)
o new door locks and door checks installed (got the parts in)
o finish the dome light mod / cyclops light (I add them together due to the shared access hole they will have.
o get the seat re-upholstered and installed
o new carpet / deadner
o possibly mod my vents from handles to cables
o drink more beer
o do my head light mod
o get my GMC hood straight and ready, with its mods
o get the bed wood mod done
o modify my tail gate from chains and hooks to latches
o add my '68 DeVille tail lights
o flirt with the wife a little more...
o swap out the 5 lug rotors in the front back to 6 lug
o finish the under dash extension and install stereo
o and maybe ..... just maybe ..... refurbish that wooden camper shell that came with the truck

Whew, whatta list, and that is just off the top of my head !!
Well guys sorry it isnt much, and if you think I am bragging .... please dont .... I am actually starting to sweat the dead line !!
Its only 9 months away !!!!!!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 10-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #15
Bomp

Man,,,,you gotta list! At least you have a dead line.
Im so far out in uncharted territory that a finish date is out of the question right now.
You totally inspired me to get crackin'. Great Job!
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #16
McMurphy

Quote:
Awesome comparison pics dude!
I'm sure it helps you to keep moving forward.
I constantly look at old pics to get a stance on how far that things have progressed with my build!
I do that as well, you never really get a feel for how far you have come unless you take a look back at where you started every once in a while !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Man,,,,you gotta list! At least you have a dead line.
Im so far out in uncharted territory that a finish date is out of the question right now.
You totally inspired me to get crackin'. Great Job!
I HAVE to have this done, we are hoping to get a change of duty station as early as next September, and I want to make sure this rig is road worthy before I take it home and store it!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 10-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #17
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.

Awesome comparison pics dude!
I'm sure it helps you to keep moving forward.
I constantly look at old pics to get a stance on how far that things have progressed with my build!
Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #18
C@rnut001

Man, that looks great sitting down in there where it is supposed to go! Thanks for the pics and updates, it is awesome to see your progress and I bet your wife was really happy to see that!
C@rnut001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #19
pdxhall

The front end is really coming together nice. Great work.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #20
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I agree.....looking good
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #21
CRGRS 66

indulge away, looks great McMurph!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:31 AM   #22
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

What a great milestone to achieve, on top of all the other excellent progress! Hang in there.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #23
piratexpress1369a

way to go 2 thumbs up

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5457281
piratexpress1369a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #24
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by C@rnut001 View Post
Man, that looks great sitting down in there where it is supposed to go! Thanks for the pics and updates, it is awesome to see your progress and I bet your wife was really happy to see that!
She was surprised I got it in all by myself, I told her it was better that way because the hoist was being a little brat, and with it slowly losing pressure I was constantly having to jack it back up.
Needless to say there was colorful language involved....
and in those situations she can sometimes take that personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
The front end is really coming together nice. Great work.
Thank you pd, it is therapudic like you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I agree.....looking good
Always great to see you here John, thank you for taking a look!

Quote:
indulge away, looks great McMurph!
Thanks man, I cannot wait to start putting body parts back on !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
What a great milestone to achieve, on top of all the other excellent progress! Hang in there.
Yeah, though I may have to pull it back out, I have some questions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a View Post
way to go 2 thumbs up
I guess the color scheme is not too over the top? (though in the photos the colors are not what you see in real life. The red is not that glaring, and the white is not white but a pewter grey)

Yesterday was consumed by trying to get my throw out linkage in for the clutch. Once I figured out the existing holes in my engine block were not going to cooperate, I had to make an adpter plate.
I have to admit that I really like fabbing stuff up, and if yesterday is any indication I am getting better at it !!
My template worked like a charm and the plate was a first time go for fittment and functionality !!
Woot !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 10-09-2012, 01:31 AM   #25
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Does your block not have the rear boss for the bellcrank ball stud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Yesterday was consumed by trying to get my throw out linkage in for the clutch. Once I figured out the existing holes in my engine block were not going to cooperate, I had to make an adpter plate.
I have to admit that I really like fabbing stuff up, and if yesterday is any indication I am getting better at it !!
My template worked like a charm and the plate was a first time go for fittment and functionality !!
Woot !!
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote