The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2016, 10:57 AM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: 85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

I have an NOS pad that the trim fits better. I paid a premium price for it s I'm keeping it for a truck that needs a replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKNOWME View Post
Most all the 81-87s look like that to me. The trim and dash pad don't have the same angles

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 12-06-2016 at 11:23 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #2
LDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKNOWME View Post
Doesn't this drive you nuts? That alone makes me prefer the 73/80 dash.
How did you secure the MDF to the back wall?
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDO View Post
How did you secure the MDF to the back wall?
On my 84 build everything fit very tight and we used screws hidden in each corner. I do everything possible to avoid drilling holes that go to the outside. I don't want to encourage leaking or rust.

Jeff Drew had an ingenious idea for installing the back panel. He used Velcro stripped in each recess along the back panel. He says it's solid as can be and no holes drilled. I love that thought process.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 12-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #4
LDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
On my 84 build everything fit very tight and we used screws hidden in each corner. I do everything possible to avoid drilling holes that go to the outside. I don't want to encourage leaking or rust.

Jeff Drew had an ingenious idea for installing the back panel. He used Velcro stripped in each recess along the back panel. He says it's solid as can be and no holes drilled. I love that thought process.
I would think it's some type of industrial strength velcro right?
Old 12-11-2016, 05:53 PM   #5
rustytruck50

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDO View Post
I would think it's some type of industrial strength velcro right?
Yep...3m makes a real heavy grade for interior trim, headliners, etc...
Last I knew, you could find it in the paint & body supply stores or napa.

'05 RCSB Sierra 2WD
'71 Sierra 2WD Longbed
'98 Silverado K1500 Xcab...sold
'72 Highlander"Raymond"...sold
rustytruck50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:15 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Last night I squeezed a couple of hours of shop time in. Chris had helped me pull the headliner so I focused on making the inner skin acoustically dead. Research tells me it's not necessary to cover the entire panel so I tested that theory.Since the liner board is a tight fit around the perimeter, I concentrated on the center mass areas. I was very pleased with the results.

My thump test reveled that the roof skin now has the same dull thud when tapped with my knuckle as the rest of the truck. I plan to insert a thin foil liner to add additional heat resistance as well.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 12-06-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:35 PM   #7
TKCR

Quote:
Last night I squeezed a couple of hours of shop time in. Chris had helped me pull the headliner so I focused on making the inner skin acoustically dead. Research tells me it's not necessary to cover the entire panel so I tested that theory.Since the liner board is a tight fit around the perimeter, I concentrated on the center mass areas. I was very pleased with the results.

My thump test reveled that the roof skin now has the same dull thud when tapped with my knuckle as the rest of the truck. I plan to insert a thin foil liner to add additional heat resistance as well.
I did the same thing with the stuff that I used, FatMat. Used it on the floor, roof, doors and behind the storage panel. I only wish it was the stuff your using, that looks like it was easier to install!! I also put a layer of foil back jute material on the floor.
Attached Images

TKCR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:39 PM   #8
TKCR

You might know this already, but you can get the storage trays that were originally in the trucks. I got one and put the speaker/amp carpeting on it.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
I did the same thing with the stuff that I used, FatMat. Used it on the floor, roof, doors and behind the storage panel. I only wish it was the stuff your using, that looks like it was easier to install!! I also put a layer of foil back jute material on the floor.
Based on my experience with other brands I have no doubt my install time was reduced by 40%
Quote:
You might know this already, but you can get the storage trays that were originally in the trucks. I got one and put the speaker/amp carpeting on it.
I considered that, but had a hard time paying 75.00 plus shipping for a cardboard tray.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 12-06-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:44 AM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I had to work late and do some Christmas shopping last night. When I got home I had a delivery from my buddy Jeff Drew (Bigblock73). He had shipped Scarlett her first Christmas present. For those that dont know Jeff, he runs www.73-87.com a site thats dedicated to the history of our beloved squarebody trucks. Jeff also designed and sells a line of premium quality 73-87 cab corner speaker mounting brackets. He has sets for 67-72 and 47-55 as well.

I did a bit of mocking up last night, and I can tell you these literally fall in place. No doubt that they work exactly as intended.

Scarlett says thank you Jeff, and Merry Christmas.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 12-08-2016, 11:00 AM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Another long day so I got a short stay in the shop. I managed a bit of time early this morning too I do have some progress on share. I marked and drilled the mounting holes for the speaker plates.

This is no easy task for the bottom two screws. I drilled and tapped the top hole, then stood on my head to mark the bottom holes. Trying to use a punch in the tight confines of the cab corner is a test of will too. My suggestion is install these with the seat out. It was raining outside or I would have pulled mine to gain access.

Regardless of how you do it, these brackets fit very well. Thanks for creating such a fantastic solution to mounting speakers in the cab corners Jeff. www.73-87.com
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 12-08-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:51 PM   #12
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Another long day so I got a short stay in the shop. I managed a bit of time early this morning too I do have some progress on share. I marked and drilled the mounting holes for the speaker plates.

This is no easy task for the bottom two screws. I drilled and tapped the top hole, then stood on my head to mark the bottom holes. Trying to use a punch in the tight confines of the cab corner is a test of will too. My suggestion is install these with the seat out. It was raining outside or I would have pulled mine to gain access.

Regardless of how you do it, these brackets fit very well. Thanks for creating such a fantastic solution to mounting speakers in the cab corners Jeff. www.73-87.com
Thanks Ken. For the bottom holes, all you need to do is mark the two holes with a fine tip marker or a scratch awl...pull the bracket back out and drill your holes on the truck.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:09 AM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
Thanks Ken. For the bottom holes, all you need to do is mark the two holes with a fine tip marker or a scratch awl...pull the bracket back out and drill your holes on the truck.
Jeff I managed to get it done by marking and drilling the top hole first. This allowed me to maintain proper position for the bottom holes. I still had to stand on my head to get to them with the seat in the way. Certainly not a big deal, but it would have been easier with the seat out.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 12-12-2016, 11:17 AM   #14
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Countdown to Throwdown.
The week, and weekend went by in a blur. I managed to get a lot done, but I still feel like I am behind schedule. With that in mind, I decided that I would not add the Kenwood powered sub in the storage tray as I had planned. I will focus on that after Lonestar Throwdown.

What I did manage to get done was finishing up the design and mock up of the install. I managed to squeeze a decent size storage tray behind the seat with no compromise on seat travel. The back just barely touches with the seat all the way back. I wasnt sure about the speakers firing in to the side of the tray, but feel it wont be an issue.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 12-12-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:32 AM   #15
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

A word of caution for those wanting to duplicate this storage tray. Be sure to buy the material you plan to cover it with before you finish the design and final fitment. I based my calculations on a vinyl with a thicker backing than I actually used. Consequently my gaps needed to be adjusted accordingly.

With the storage tray completed I countersunk all the screw flush, and sanded down the sharp edges. Once the entire tray was smooth Chris and I plotted out how to wrap the box. With the vinyl having a thinner backing I was able to wrap it in one piece. The end panels required some stretching and shrinking, but they are one piece as well.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 12-12-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:19 PM   #16
TKCR

Quote:
A word of caution for those wanting to duplicate this storage tray. Be sure to buy the material you plan to cover it with before you finish the design and final fitment. I based my calculations on a vinyl with a thicker backing than I actually used. Consequently my gaps needed to be adjusted accordingly.

With the storage tray completed I countersunk all the screw flush, and sanded down the sharp edges. Once the entire tray was smooth Chris and I plotted out how to wrap the box. With the vinyl having a thinner backing I was able to wrap it in one piece. The end panels required some stretching and shrinking, but they are one piece as well.
You guys do awesome work!! I'm find myself waiting with anticipation to see what you have done. And I love all the pictures. I'm the kind of person that I like to post pics and I like seeing pics. It feel it really helps illustrate the project your working on.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #17
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
You guys do awesome work!! I'm find myself waiting with anticipation to see what you have done. And I love all the pictures. I'm the kind of person that I like to post pics and I like seeing pics. It feel it really helps illustrate the project your working on.
Thanks. It helps keep us motivated seeing our progress unfold.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 12-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #18
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

We discovered that the carpet kit had been cut short, and the speaker grills forced the storage tray far enough away there was a gap there too. To compensate Chris designed a filler block to go under the speaker plates. It will hide the bare floor and give it a more finished look.

I wrapped the speaker plates and left spare material on each side. This will tuck behind the tray andfill the gap. It will be attached with Velcro to make it removable if ever needed.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 12-12-2016, 07:56 PM   #19
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDO
Hey, was reading your thread on Scarlett.
Did you use that silent coat on the doors too or some other form of insulation? Looks like you used duct tape along the edges and wasn't sure because your door now looks flat and I know there are alot of contours on the door panel.
LDO I hope you don't mind me giving you an answer here rather than private message.
The product I use behind the door panels is manufactured by Reflectix as SKU#BP24010
It is a double reflective insulation that reflects 94%+ radiant energy according to the manufacturer.

I use it as an added radiant barrier and sound deadner in conjunction with the sound deadner inside the doors. Its very light weight and cuts with scissors. As you can see I use duct tape to hold it in place and help create a seal. The combination of Reflectix and Silent Coat along with new beltline seals and vent windows from Precision Replacement Parts my doors are as quiet and air tight as possible.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 12-19-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #20
LDO

Quote:
LDO I hope you don't mind me giving you an answer here rather than private message.
The product I use behind the door panels is manufactured by Reflectix as SKU#BP24010
It is a double reflective insulation that reflects 94%+ radiant energy according to the manufacturer.
Not at all! I appreciate the info!
Old 12-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #21
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I had to go Christmas shopping last night. I got home late so I only spent a short time in the shop. I played with the fitment of the www.73-87.com speaker plates that are now wrapped in vinyl. Our plan will work, but I need to buy some velcro in length. All I have are small pieces.

I did get an email from Greg Stroik at Precision Replacement Parts saying my vent windows would ship out this week. That means I should be able to have the interior put together by Christmas.

For quotes on getting your vent windows rebuilt contact-
Greg Stroik
4611 Camp Phillips Rd.
Weston, WI. 54476
(715)-359-7837, Ext. 8235
greg.stroik@prp.com
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 12-13-2016, 02:10 PM   #22
LT7A

Good eye with your interior color matching!
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:26 PM   #23
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Good eye with your interior color matching!
Thank you. My 84 Sierra had a lot of different colors which is typical of GM trucks of that era. It drove me crazy but I was pressed for time so I had to do the best I could.

I decided from the beginning that Scarlett would not be the same. I wasn't sure about dying the seat vinyl till I tested it. I'm convinced it's more durable than the plastic trim now.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 12-14-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:51 AM   #24
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Countdown to Throwdown! I had a successful day yesterday. Despite day filled with chaos at work my crew wrapped up a job that had been hanging over us for several weeks.
I also had a successful stop at the outlet mall scoring a smoking deal on some Christmas presents.
To celebrate, I spent some quality time with my side chick Scarlett. She was so happy to see me that our time together went smoothly.

I installed the www.73-87.come speaker plates adding velcro to the excess material to fill the gap between the plates and the storage tray. The other side tucks under the door seal. I installed the Kenwood 6x9 speakers in the plates and tightened everything down.

I am content that everything fits as we intended. I need to make a filler piece to go above the speaker plates that will smooth the transition and tare it apart for color matching. Everything except the speaker grills and trim rings will be Napa red.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 12-15-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:09 PM   #25
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Why not red instead on the speakers? Factory look anti-theft provision

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote