The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #476
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Having the straight on pictures make it easier to be accurate. From the middle like that one is, perspective comes into play. I can give it a whirl though!

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #477
piratexpress1369a

McMurphy you have to post up what he gives you ..play nice now lol

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5457281
piratexpress1369a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #478
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Pirate, you are first in line when I get that far.

When I get the basics for the '60 - '63 done, and the '64 - '66 done, it is just tweaks to make them fit the specifics for each year, so it will be semi-easy to modify the drawings.

Got the rear view of my truck almost done last night. I'll post them all up in my thread once I get them done.

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #479
McMurphy

Well I tell ya....
Talk about a forehead smacking weekend.

Bad enough I didnt do the proper research and bought the external coil spring compressors, because then I could not figure how to get the clearance once they were installed, to back them off. There just was no physical way of doing it that I could find!

But then a couple weeks ago, I had gotten my upper and lower ball joints and when asked at the parts store I totally told them it was for a 66 half ton. It never crossed my mind to tell them I needed them for a 1981 GMC 1500 (which was the donor front end for my spindles and disc brakes...). What ensued yesterday was a long and painful lesson in trying to install ball joints that were about 1/2 inch too short.

Yes I did totally destroy a complete set on one side.
The threads on the upper ball joint were stripped down to a smooth shaft, and I ballooned the bottom of the lower joint to the point that it looked pregnant!

I am not one to generally string cuss words into full sentences or fling tools (particularly my 8lb sledge) around but I succumbed to the tidal wave of frustration and had the first temper tantrum of my life since age 3.....

Thankfully I have a wife that picks up on these hard to read mood changes and she took a quick Youtube peek, then came down stairs and showed me that it was my lack of good sense, and not my lack of skills that was the problem by holding up the old and the new joints to show me the length difference.
My non-calibrated eyes would have sworn they were identical

Anyways, I should post pics of my destruction so that generations to follow will not forget these awesome details when combining differing aged rigs...

Hope the rest of you had better progress than I did this weekend!!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #480
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post

I am not one to generally string cuss words into full sentences or fling tools (particularly my 8lb sledge) around but I succumbed to the tidal wave of frustration and had the first temper tantrum of my life since age 3.....
Outatanding!!!
Now I feel that we are on the same level!!!
I had an episode just like this one during the weekend, when after 9 hours of total time block-sanding on a box-side (it was ready for paint), I noticed that one spot-weld where the upper outer meets the lower outer wasn't good. So I drilled the ledge thru the first thickness on the inside of the box & plug welded it. Simple fix right?
You can just imagine my response when I walked around to see that the primer was bubbled on the outside of the box!
I was so F-ing PO'd that I cussed out loud for about a half-hour(probably longer)
I feel your pain!
Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #481
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

It's called tuition, the cost of learning. We all have moments like that. If you make the same mistake again then there might be an issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #482
CRGRS 66

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #483
Jeff La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
It's called tuition, the cost of learning. We all have moments like that. If you make the same mistake again then there might be an issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
The more you pay the better the lesson learned, I think that's how it works
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #484
piratexpress1369a

hard lesson from the school of hard knocks

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5457281
piratexpress1369a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #485
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modges'66 View Post
Outatanding!!!
Now I feel that we are on the same level!!!
I had an episode just like this one during the weekend, when after 9 hours of total time block-sanding on a box-side (it was ready for paint), I noticed that one spot-weld where the upper outer meets the lower outer wasn't good. So I drilled the ledge thru the first thickness on the inside of the box & plug welded it. Simple fix right?
You can just imagine my response when I walked around to see that the primer was bubbled on the outside of the box!
I was so F-ing PO'd that I cussed out loud for about a half-hour(probably longer)
I feel your pain!
Modges, I am just glad it was not a person that was the object of my outburst. No doubt many police and at least one hospital would have been involved had that been the case. LOL . Sometimes it amazes me the level of language I can sink to due to my Soldiering experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Someday I will be a graduate from this University of Life, and that might be a bad day indeed... I could not imagine you losing your cool like that on your build. I read every page and your build had some set backs, but seemed like it went very smoothly. Perhaps I did not read between the lines very well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 View Post
Yes CRGRS, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
The more you pay the better the lesson learned, I think that's how it works
You may be right Jeff, the higher the dollar amount the deeper the lesson learned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a View Post
hard lesson from the school of hard knocks
Yeesh, they suck sometimes dont they?

Ok boys and girls, todays lesson is to ALWAYS remember what the original vehicle was for the parts you are working on! This is what happens when you are working with 1981 suspension, but tell the kids at the parts store you want ball joints for a 1966:

This is as far as I can get those castle nuts on with the incorrect ball joints. This is finger tight, but trust me, they dont go much farther...
Name:  22jul12 balljoint bad day (1).jpg
Views: 794
Size:  91.5 KB

I am sometimes reminded that as a grown man, armed with power tools, it is possible to be mightier than things like nuts and bolts!! As soon as I took the socket off the castle nut and saw the hair-thin strands of metal I just knew what had happened....
Name:  22jul12 balljoint bad day (2).jpg
Views: 796
Size:  43.3 KB

No, boys and girls, these are NOT supposed to bulge on the end like that, eveyone that noticed right off gets a gold star for today!!
Name:  22jul12 balljoint bad day (3).jpg
Views: 802
Size:  67.9 KB

So now resupplied with another $130 worth of ball joints, I am ready to try this again. Oh, and I have the right spring compressor now too.... just sayin

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #486
CRGRS 66

Did you ever find your 8lb sledge?

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
Old 07-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #487
McMurphy

Quote:
Did you ever find your 8lb sledge?
Yeah.... I can fling it like a manly man having a temper tantrum like a 3 year old child, but I am still not Superman. It did not go far after bouncing off the deflection plate on the bottom of the crossmember.

Scared the out of my poor wife though. I am usually the calm and collected voice of reason.

Thanks for asking though, taking care of one's tools is important

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 07-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #488
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Yeah.... I can fling it like a manly man having a temper tantrum like a 3 year old child, but I am still not Superman. It did not go far after bouncing off the deflection plate on the bottom of the crossmember.

Scared the out of my poor wife though. I am usually the calm and collected voice of reason.

Thanks for asking though, taking care of one's tools is important
We all have our moments, hope you are back on track my good man!

Old 07-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #489
clemdaddy

[/QUOTE]

well lets see... does a field goal kick of her cat count for uncontrolled anger.
when the cat decides my, new from the upholstery shop seat, is a scratching post, i can invent new profanity with a fast physical reaction... wifes still not speaking to me but i got the 3 point goal.
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #490
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
well lets see... does a field goal kick of her cat count for uncontrolled anger.
when the cat decides my, new from the upholstery shop seat, is a scratching post, i can invent new profanity with a fast physical reaction... wifes still not speaking to me but i got the 3 point goal.[/QUOTE]

yet another reason to dislike... if not detest cats

Old 07-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #491
McMurphy

Ok... this is definately a support forum.
I like this !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 07-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #492
McMurphy

Has anyone used these?
They are Gabriel Load Carriers. We have these on both our Pontiacs and I really like the ride they give (and the look would fit this build awesome) !!

Name:  Gabriel Load Carrier Shocks PN 43060.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  27.5 KB

As I start my reassembly of this rig, I am probably going to be asking a lot of questions about parts like this, so any comments would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks guys, and yeah CRGRS I think I am tracking now.... until I melt down again!!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 07-26-2012, 04:07 AM   #493
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Wow, seems you've had a bit of a rough go at it for a bit. Like mentioned about though, that is the cost of knowledge sometimes. Glad to see that you have it under control, and are back on track. Aren't understanding wives/girlfriends great? lol. Keep it up my friend.

fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:18 AM   #494
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Question for ya, did you get your distributor orientation issue figured out? I know some tricks I use all the time from when I was a mechanic that are darn near fool proof....heck, they are Fryer proof, lol. I've never had one lined up wrong or fail to start on me yet (assuming parts are all good of course).
Old 07-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #495
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryer1979 View Post
Question for ya, did you get your distributor orientation issue figured out? I know some tricks I use all the time from when I was a mechanic that are darn near fool proof....heck, they are Fryer proof, lol. I've never had one lined up wrong or fail to start on me yet (assuming parts are all good of course).
I have not revisited that issue yet, no.
Right now my front end has consumed me, and now I am on a short time table, wife and I are going home on leave next week so I am really trying to get the front end done and back on the truck before we bug out of here.

After the front end it should be engine and tranny install ..... then ???

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 07-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #496
dbomb53

Quote:
when the cat decides my, new from the upholstery shop seat, is a scratching post, i can invent new profanity with a fast physical reaction... wifes still not speaking to me but i got the 3 point goal.
yet another reason to dislike... if not detest cats[/QUOTE]

LMAO!
Old 07-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #497
shok

I have cats so kicking one seems idiotic to me at best.
I did have to throw a kleenex box at mine today tho, didn't exactly intimidate the little bastard.
shok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:15 AM   #498
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
Missed this the first time through, and it is a perfect example of one of the many reasons why I don't have cats anymore. I grew up with them and have always had them until a couple years ago...just got sick of it all I guess. I love my little Boxer pup!

Quote:
I have not revisited that issue yet, no.
Right now my front end has consumed me, and now I am on a short time table, wife and I are going home on leave next week so I am really trying to get the front end done and back on the truck before we bug out of here.

After the front end it should be engine and tranny install ..... then ???
Well, when you start getting close to the time to get back on it shoot me a PM. I've got a real easy way to get it all set in there right, and I'll bet it fires on the first try (again if everything else is working right). I'd be happy to help you out bud.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #499
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryer1979 View Post
Missed this the first time through, and it is a perfect example of one of the many reasons why I don't have cats anymore. I grew up with them and have always had them until a couple years ago...just got sick of it all I guess. I love my little Boxer pup!

Well, when you start getting close to the time to get back on it shoot me a PM. I've got a real easy way to get it all set in there right, and I'll bet it fires on the first try (again if everything else is working right). I'd be happy to help you out bud.
Thanks Fryer, I am going on vacation later this week, so it will certainly be September before I am ready to do this.
First though is getting my transmission completed so I can slide it in along with the motor in one stroke.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 07-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #500
McMurphy

Sooooo I got some stuff done!!

Once I got the proper ball joints installing them was a piece of cake. The cool thing about learning things the hard way, is when you learn how to do them right.... well suddenly what you thought was going to be a cruddy task turns out to be not so bad at all.

After that it was a simple matter of putting everything back on it and completing the suspension. Bolting that sucker back onto the frame was quite a satisfying moment for me. Keep in mind I have never done anything so aggressive as this build before, so my small victories are pretty awesome still for me !!!

I knew before hand that the engine frame mounts were going to take some attention. This is how I attended to it:

The top of the frame mount where it bolts to the frame rail needed some holes drilled, and it had a 1/8" gap I was not happy with. I made these shim plates to fill at least half that gap space.
Name:  28jul12 (5).jpg
Views: 701
Size:  63.8 KB
Name:  28jul12 (7).jpg
Views: 692
Size:  30.9 KB

I also sunk a hole for the bottom of the frame mount so I would have 4 bolt points.
Name:  28jul12 (8).jpg
Views: 700
Size:  30.8 KB

And here it is all together....
Name:  28jul12 (9).jpg
Views: 706
Size:  46.1 KB

And here is my front end as it looks now! I got the PS pump on, and I really have to echo the props to Captain Fab for his adapter plate and the fantastic template and instructions he provides!! He stuff bolted right up like it was supposed to be there !!! Also that collapsible steering column shaft works like a charm too, and bolted right up to the rag joint on the PS pump.
Name:  28jul12 (10).jpg
Views: 706
Size:  54.3 KB

I was so pumped up with putting stuff back on the truck that it was hard to stop, but a growling stomach convinced me it was time to head up and get some dinner and call it a day.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest