The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #476
cooperhw

Re: Meet Homer (the motor home)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat english View Post
Looking good!I cant wait to see the steps on it...
Thanks Pat. Probably be a month or so before steps are in place. Gotta have them and the rear bumper sandblasted, and might have to narrow the steps. Haven't got that far yet. B a while.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #477
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

It's a good looking vehicle. I've always liked the 67-72 body style.
I stick with 60-66 for 2 main reasons.. 1 my favorite and 2 they are cheaper.. :-) if I ever did get a 67-72.. I'd want a lwb 4x4

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #478
nlped

Wayne,

Homer has come a LONG way & looks a hell of a lot better in this configuration. That's going to be a fun truck to drive for sure.

I'm hoping to get to start tinkering on mine this fall, but who knows.

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #479
pat english

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
Thanks Pat. Probably be a month or so before steps are in place. Gotta have them and the rear bumper sandblasted, and might have to narrow the steps. Haven't got that far yet. B a while.
Right on.I was wondering if you needed to modify those.
pat english is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:18 PM   #480
Sicksty8

Just read through the whole thread. All I can say is what a transformation. The truck looks a million times better with no motorhome on there. Keep it up
Sicksty8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #481
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlped View Post
Wayne,

Homer has come a LONG way & looks a hell of a lot better in this configuration. That's going to be a fun truck to drive for sure.

I'm hoping to get to start tinkering on mine this fall, but who knows.
Rome wasn't built in a day. I have a couple stalled projects, but hopefully, this fall/winter,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicksty8 View Post
Just read through the whole thread. All I can say is what a transformation. The truck looks a million times better with no motorhome on there. Keep it up
Thanks a lot Sicksty8. I agree. The motorhome was rotten inside and the roof had caved in a bit allowing water to intrude which caused mold. I cannot even vision trying to restore that thing. Many times I have wished I never saw the ad for this truck for sale, then I get something else done to it, and I am getting happier and happier with the finish line closer.

Another note, here's a couple pics of the 71 seat I got out of my donor cab. Had it upholstered a little thinner, with some bolster in place. Wanted it to look old. Guy says the more you drive it the material will keep looking more distressed as time goes on. Just what I was looking for.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #482
CRees

Looking good all put back together, Homer is definitely one of my favorite builds on here.
CRees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #483
flashed

Homer dont look Homely anymore ,turned out great .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:44 PM   #484
Elliot949

dayam!!!!! That looks killer!!!!

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:54 PM   #485
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRees View Post
Looking good all put back together, Homer is definitely one of my favorite builds on here.
CRees, thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Homer dont look Homely anymore ,turned out great .
Flashed, Thanks buddy. I agree. Not quite so homely anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot949 View Post
dayam!!!!! That looks killer!!!!
Elliot949, Thanks man. That's what I was hoping for. Kinda cool ole Homer is finally starting to live up to the vision that was only in my brain for the last 8 months.

Here's a few last pics of the weekend. Yesterday I sanded down and primed the bumper. Today I wet sanded it and shot it in my dark color. Wasn't looking perfect but ok till it rained on it. Now it's got little buckshot marks on it. No biggie. I'll just re=shoot it later. Really just wanted to see how it looked dark. If it didn't look good I would just order a repop bumper. I think it looks good. How about you guys? Dark or Chrome? As I said, "I'm still on the fence".
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2015, 10:06 PM   #486
Advanced Design

Looks good dark!
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:19 PM   #487
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Looks good dark!
Thanks A.D. I use the term "dark" as opposed to black, because it's not black.

Just for info.

I was at my paint supplier about a month ago and noticed a gallon of their premier brand paint on the mis-mixed rack. I asked about it and he said someone ordered it and didn't like the color. I said how much? he said, "if you buy the activator ($90 quart) you can have the paint for free. It was a really gross med. blue. So I said let's do it. Take it in the back and keep adding toner till it's blacker than a wh***s heart. So even standing next to it, nobody realizes it's not black till I tell em. Then they look closer and say "hey, yeah, you're right. It's kinda blueish". Kinda cool. 5 quarts of good paint $90.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:59 PM   #488
trac209

IMHO this is the coolest truck build on here. would love to have one like it
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:15 PM   #489
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by trac209 View Post
IMHO this is the coolest truck build on here. would love to have one like it
Trac209, thanks man. We might have to start a fleet of em.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:25 PM   #490
pat english

Bumper looks good.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:46 AM   #491
slick copper

Looks good, but I think if you're going with the standard trim and those wheels it would look better overall chrome. On the other hand if you painted grill trim and other pieces to match the bumper and went with some steel wheels painted to match it'd work. Course that's just my opinion. Keep up the good work!

1967 Chevy C/10 LWB Custom Optioned "big window truck" AKA Copper

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=452594
The story of how I got the truck:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=450939
Ole Smokey Build Thread 2002 Silverado 8.1L Crew Cab **SOLD**http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=618402
slick copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:50 AM   #492
71Sleeper

Really just wanted to see how it looked dark. If it didn't look good I would just order a repop bumper. I think it looks good. How about you guys? Dark or Chrome? As I said, "I'm still on the fence".[/QUOTE]

You know I'm a fan of Homer but I'm not liking the dark color. If I were to choose a painted bump it would need to be white especially with the body color Homer is painted in. I also think that chrome would look great to because of the wheels you are running. Just my opinion
71Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:51 AM   #493
cooperhw

Yeah, I hear you guys. That's why I asked the question. Didn't really want a white bumper anymore, so I thought I would take a look at it painted dark. I am kinda right in the middle right now. I think it looks cool, but, a chrome bumper with new brightwork might match the rims better. Decisions, decisions.
Gonna be a slim next 30 days for progress as a coupler trips are coming up. Will give me some time to ponder on it.
Thanks for the input guys. It's always nice to hear honest feedback.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #494
pat english

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
Yeah, I hear you guys. That's why I asked the question. Didn't really want a white bumper anymore, so I thought I would take a look at it painted dark. I am kinda right in the middle right now. I think it looks cool, but, a chrome bumper with new brightwork might match the rims better. Decisions, decisions.
Gonna be a slim next 30 days for progress as a coupler trips are coming up. Will give me some time to ponder on it.
Thanks for the input guys. It's always nice to hear honest feedback.
Some playboy mud flaps would tie it all together..Jk.Looking forward to see what you do.I think its hard to make these trucks look bad,The black looks good And i can Picture it done cream with black everything else.But i like chrome too.Whatever you do,its guna look sweet.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:42 AM   #495
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat english View Post
Some playboy mud flaps would tie it all together..Jk.Looking forward to see what you do.I think its hard to make these trucks look bad,The black looks good And i can Picture it done cream with black everything else.But i like chrome too.Whatever you do,its guna look sweet.
Thanks Pat. I am just trying to find something that I will be able to replicate on the back bumper. Gotta put some kinda finish on it. It's pretty terrible looking. Something about the dark color just doesn't 100% look right.
Oh well. It's just paint. I may try it body color next.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:14 AM   #496
350TacoZilla

Looks great man, I actually ran across a post you made about widening the tailgate and bed in another thread and figured I would try and find your thread to comment in.I hope you dont mind the Hijack.

I'm kicking around the idea of widening my 63 long bed stepside to wide dually width where the step fenders are basically past the cab width entirely like stock dually pickups normally are, I wouldnt feel too bad cutting it up since the head board and floor are completely rotted out and the tailgate is missing but cant decide if I want dual wheels or not. Either SRW or DRW it will be on a 1994 ram 2500 4x4 frame and axles with LS power.

Here is what it looked like when PO bought it then one of it when I got it.

350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #497
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
Looks great man, I actually ran across a post you made about widening the tailgate and bed in another thread and figured I would try and find your thread to comment in.I hope you dont mind the Hijack.

I'm kicking around the idea of widening my 63 long bed stepside to wide dually width where the step fenders are basically past the cab width entirely like stock dually pickups normally are, I wouldnt feel too bad cutting it up since the head board and floor are completely rotted out and the tailgate is missing but cant decide if I want dual wheels or not. Either SRW or DRW it will be on a 1994 ram 2500 4x4 frame and axles with LS power.

Here is what it looked like when PO bought it then one of it when I got it.

Man I don't mind at all. I think the whole idea of "Hijack" is B.S. I come on here to talk to other like minded folks. Don't care if we meet and chat from my thread, your thread, other thread. I thought that was the whole reason we all came on here. I guess some only come on the "talk about their project"? Not me.
As to your build. Sounds cool enough to me. I would def. look at making it a dually if that's what you want. I considered making Homer a single wheel truck and thought that would remove part of his soul or part of his cool factor.
It would be really easy to get a complete metal bed floor from a fleetside that has the inner wheelhouse tubs in place. Narrow the bed floor so the tubs inner clears your inner tire by an inch or so, and weld her up. Header panel is super easy to extend by grafting on sections on either side, tailgate is another story. It would be way easier to get two good tailgates and slice them so you use one left side and one right side as long as you are not hung up on using the letters. My tailgate now reads CHEVIVROLET.
Keep me posted on your progress or decision on which way you go with your truck. I am def. interested.

Last edited by cooperhw; 09-09-2015 at 09:42 AM. Reason: add
Old 09-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #498
350TacoZilla

I like the dark bumper if thats going to be a color you use other places to accent the truck.

As for the tailgate I was going to either buy the cheapie plain repo ones that dont have any writing on them or build one from scratch. Either way I would then use a second set of grille letters on it.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #499
pat english

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
I like the dark bumper if thats going to be a color you use other places to accent the truck.

As for the tailgate I was going to either buy the cheapie plain repo ones that dont have any writing on them or build one from scratch. Either way I would then use a second set of grille letters on it.
If you have a gmc tailgate you can widen it without cutting into the letters.You just need two gates.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:37 PM   #500
350TacoZilla

True you could cut on both sides of the M and then make two fill sections, but none of the tailgates have letters that are a match for the grille lettering so I plan to use a second set of them anyhow.