The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #5051
lolo33

Re: What did you do to your truck today!

waiting for delivery of a new red carpet and some stuff from Eckler's.
hope not to have bad news under the old one when I will take off it...
Old 10-08-2012, 04:57 AM   #5052
69vetteside

PAWS 72 was pretty much even.
half looked under the vette hood the other half looked under the rear end of the truck
Old 10-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #5053
CURSED GEARS

Sanded down the rust on my rear quarter where the Hit and run driver shaved paint off. Took it down to bare metal, primed and painted damaged area so the metal don't rust through this winter. Will eventually be repaired correctly. (Truck was hit three times this year)
Old 10-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #5054
VWNate1

Post Re : Running Hot

O.K. , till no idea what size the engine is but , since you're having the fans work O.K. , I'd think too much total advance @ 36 degrees and certainly too few rows in the radiator . I always like to have three at least and I run 6 Bangers , remember ? .

Is this the rig that chews up starters ? .

20 # cap is WAY overkill , 14 # is max .

You didn't mention what temp. T-Stat , I hope you've drilled a 3/16" hole in it's flange ? .

You sound close to where you want to be so I suggest doing the simple things first , correcting the vacuum avance timing and the all in tming too , the coolant mix sounds right to me .

Have you yet tried adding " Water Wetter " ? my Son uses it in his Race Cars and it certanly works well ~ I don't much like how the temp. gauge varies so much but it never , EVER overheats and you'd have to watch him on the Track (or commuting) to understand why this is such a big deal .

-Nate
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRandy View Post
Hey Nate...ya' geezer. This is Randy, you met me at Bob'b Big Boy in Downey with the C10 club guys, red '69 no wood in the bed. Ring any bells?

Anyway, not spewing any coolant, running 210* - 215* on freeway@70 - 80 mph. Running 220*+ in traffic on 100*+ day.

2 row 1.25" tube radiator core, aluminium radiator. 20lb cap.

Timing is 10* base, 36* total (vacuum can unplugged), all in at 2500 rpm.

ZZ502

Here's the link for Entropy Radiator: http://www.entropyrad.com/. Tony is in Chicago.
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
Old 10-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #5055
VWNate1

Thumbs up Re : Ol Dollar's Rig

I really like that " Texas Country Edition " badge you put on the glove box door .

For those who don't " get " Work Trucks , this is the quintessential Work/Farm/Ranch/Shop Truck GM had in mind when they designed trucks ~ simple and minimal , easy to drive , cheap to buy and operate , well planned out with good base options ~ the LineLine 250 CID L6 and white upper cab for less heat in the summer .

I only hope that one day before I die , my green truck looks anywhere near this good .

Lastly , there's never any need for a glove box door knob ~ simply replacing the squashed rubber bumpers will ensure it easily pops open and doesn't rattle when closed .
Old 10-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #5056
ole dollor

VWNate1 : thanks for the good comments on ole dollor, the badge says cowboy edition i put them on both ft fenders and the glove box...i really like them...,on the knob , i did that when i first got ole dollor and it was still a three hundred dollar truck....it was very hard to get the glove box door open....i am hoping i can find a cool looking knob one of these days to replace it with....the rubbers still look good, you may be right about replacing them....thanks....ole dollor
Old 10-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #5057
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Washed mine to get rid of the green slime that was starting to grow on her. I really need to get on with sorting out my new (to me) garage so I can get her out of the weather. Unlikely to happen now until next year as I need to re-roof it so I can make the doorway high enough to get her in!

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Old 10-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #5058
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

I useto run pure anti-freeze until I changed my engine. I think they both need to come on at the sametime. I did not have a fan shroud and have been stuck in traffic and the needle did not go past 180*. Im still using the old style fan on the water pump. I see the fans are connected to a panel, can you just mount the fans to the radiator without the panel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRandy View Post
Vince, I have a 180* thermostat. Fans come on a bit early, one around 160* the other comes on around 175*. Radiator is aluminium with a 2 row core and 1.25" tubes. Coolant is about 70/30 (water/anti-freeze, we live in So. Cal.).
Old 10-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #5059
dliving69

This saturday went to a local car show. Entered my truck.sorry for the quality, edit done on smaller screen on phone
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #5060
VWNate1

Thumbs up Re : SWEET !

After a hard morning's job of suspension works , I decided to take the rest of the day off and do my mandated P.T. by walking in my local Pick-A-Part Junkyard , I happened across a '72 Chevy Van with two steel hubcaps still on it , one only had two small dents so I bought it .
Old 10-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #5061
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Yesterday I was proud to use the 68/71 as a real truck. Helped the kids move to another house in our town. When I finished taking a load to their new place,
I went back and cleaned out the shop of the final slop from the 68/71 build...adding some of their stuff to the load for a run to the dump.

Today, Mrs. M17 and I went for a mellow ride to the dump....Well, almost. We got about six miles. Came home like this....

I'll tell you. I've built a lot of stuff. And some stuff that was certainly more complicated than a 1/2 ton Fleet 350/350 C10/20.....
Never, ever have I had so many burps at the end of the road.

I think the gas tank, which appeared clear of foul and foreign stuff during the build, has foul and foreign stuff living in it. I'm not sure.
More filters in the line and such today, Then, we'll see. Gas thank will probably have to come out.
Attached Images

But always a rat.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #5062
ole dollor

man having to be brought home by a tow truck really sucks.....hope you get her fixed....
Old 10-09-2012, 12:49 AM   #5063
hpcgmc

Got mine started last weekend, after 9 years in storage! Time for the real work on a light restoration to begin!
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #5064
heathbirkendahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcbmw View Post
Got mine started last weekend, after 9 years in storage! Time for the real work on a light restoration to begin!
Where in northern CA are you? I'm in San Jose/Campbell area.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #5065
Clrussell

Opened up my birthday present last night..got new rockers, new arm rests and power window kit! Has anyone installed the power window kit from lmc? And pointers? Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #5066
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcbmw View Post
Nice truck, what are your plans for the resto

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Old 10-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #5067
jmdemon55

had my 2 used doors i bought media blasted. drivers door is in terrible shape. i have never seen bondo put on so thick. easily an inch deep over (get this) lawn chair webbing to cover some previous mirror holes. looks like it was beat down with a sledge hammer and filled over. also has the same approach over 2 huge dents in front middle and front lower part of the door. think this one is headed for the scrap pile. passenger door looks better other than where the sport mirror had been. bashed in, webbing,and inch deep bondo to cover the 3 mounting holes? pulled pryed and beat it back to workable shape. ugh some days are better than others, the push continues!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #5068
hpcgmc

Heath - I"m about 40 miles East of Sac, so quite a ways from you in the Bay Area. I'm hoping to find some truck owners up here in the Sierra Foothills.

Bennet - my plans are to get the brakes working well enough to drive the truck, then drive it while I work on it. In the next 1 year I hope for most of the rust to be addressed, a primer paint job, a set of rallye rims and maybe disc brakes up front. In the next five years, a new motor (would love to put in a 327, as that was in it when I got it in about 1977), new trans (no need for granny gear) and a paint job. My truck looked an awful lot like yours when I got it. Same blue paint with the white front grill, but mine had some sort of stripe off the nose of the truck, running back along the sides. I'm guessing the original owner did this. Still trying to find the one picture I have of it with the original paint job.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #5069
Hard Luck
I've got grease on my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud.man.rj View Post
Well took my truck for a run yesterday but the big block was a bit cold and I almost stalled it so sidestepped the clutch a bit and turned at the same time while shooting out a tooth from the side spider gears right thu the rear cover so brought it home and gutted the rear diff. Now I need some info guy's in the know. I have a crappy 73 and up gov. lock posi unit, could put new spiders in but is it worth it, heard they are the "worst" GM diff. Will an Eaton or Auburn posi unit swap in place in the same diff housing (12 bolt). Here are a few pic's. Too much power and tire combo.Haha.

So anyone in the know on the swap.
Tru Trac, Auburn, and Eaton all make a unit that fits this rear, just depends on the gear ratio you want to run as there is a carrier break. While it does "bolt it" it will require a whole new set up. Reset the pinion, ring gear, and the back lash. You can use the old bearing off your carrier as "set up" bearings, just slightly ream out the ID of the bearing to save on pressing on and off new bearings as you work out the carrier shims.

Good luck!
Old 10-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #5070
lyrikz
PITbut

Re: Re : SWEET !

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
After a hard morning's job of suspension works , I decided to take the rest of the day off and do my mandated P.T. by walking in my local Pick-A-Part Junkyard , I happened across a '72 Chevy Van with two steel hubcaps still on it , one only had two small dents so I bought it .
I read that as you bought the whole van. lol

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #5071
jc70chevy

finally tore big block out of truck to find a very fresh bottom end 40 over pistons and 20 over crank. hmmmmmmm. what should i do with this..
Old 10-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #5072
DevilDog Aggie

Actually drove Reveille to work today!!!! First time since I brought her home. She did great. Still some back fire through the carb when cold and some dieseling when shutting down. But all in all, I am happy!!! Hopefully a buddy of mine will be joining soon. He has a '49 GMC that he is working on. He is in the same boat as me: not a wrench turner but wants his girl running.
Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...87#post5503187
Semper Fi and Gig'em Aggies!
Old 10-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #5073
VWNate1

Post Re: What did you do to your truck today!

Turned on the headlights and got no headlights ! everything else wprked so I flicked the knob with my finger and of course , the headlights blinked on and I drove on my merry way .

So , I reached into the box o' junk I carry in the bed and withdrew an old light switch , ever so carefully spead the clips and took it apart , cleaned out the old rock hard grease then polished all the contacts to a mirror finish (Electrical Tech Tip : never , EVER scrape nor abrade electrical contacts ! polish them instead then grease them ) before greasing the various contacts & sliding bits & re - assembled it , will install it in short order as no lights is bad , very bad indeed .

Al this laor to $ave $7 for a new (Chinese yuk) light switch but now , I know it's good to go for another 40 + years .
Old 10-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #5074
Hotrob72

Finally got to drive my truck to town a few weeks ago, reverse had been kinda touch and go when the trans warmed up. After about 10 miles 3rd gear was no more as well...drove it home in second but got home. I do have a lift so I thought it was a good time to buy a tranny jack. Just so happens I went to the Redmond Swap meet and found a nice Quality tranny jack and the guy just so happened to have a "good" 350 trans they had pulled but were not gonna need it...and wanted $30 bucks with the torque converter. So I thought what the hell its only time and not money so I used my new jack and put in my 30 dollar trans. it seems to work great. Also picked up a nice dash cluster as I was looking for a tach. Haven't put the cluster in but did get my new tilt installed, pushed it as far forward as I could (bought off the board, motor home tilt) and nice new repro wheel (also bought off the board) been a great couple weeks.......
Attached Images

1941 Dodge COE
1932 ford roadster
the rest are normal drivers
Old 10-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #5075
jeffg1010

Midnight oil change...

Posted via Mobile Device
1986 C30 Crewcab - 63K original miles, original paint

Members I have met: mikey531, gcburdic, bashed, burbman69, TonyPieras, Blazester, GCncsuHD, custombuilt67-72, tsnow678, highrpm, PanelDeland, tanman722001, 47thriftmaster, babyblueoval, 68stepbed, JesseWebb, Andy4639, xs-style, TobyArnot, BigOrange, frednoah, brn_agn, k5hart, Graham57a, bhelton, AJohn6, SilverC10, 69CST, '71 Flame, RaceAGMC, Liz, Josh, MattPSU, 68corvair, Chevy350V8, mdeal, ccrorymc, mrhurt73, dmxxpert, Custom68, 84GMC, BionicABs1, BigBlockBurris, Ebfabman, ATP...
Closed Thread