The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #501
El Campo

Re: Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

I like the way you are thinking with the intake etc! Will be anxiously waiting to see it.
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #502
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Not really, intake is $600 and four new carbs are $13-1400. So only around $2k for the main components- just need linkage, filters, and fuel lines to be complete. Way cheaper than 8 stack EFI with 100% of the performance. Other than cold start ups, the IR intake/Dellorto carbs on my VW run as smooth as the LS2 in my sisters TBSS and have 1000x better throttle response. The two minutes of running smooth at start up isn't worth spending 2k+ more for EFI. It's an old truck, it's supposed to have some quirks!

I'm going to make my own linkage and the filter will be in the hood... Going to make an air box in the hood to seal down on the carbs.
Posted via Mobile Device
http://www.jegs.com/i/Borla/157/200067/10002/-1

I guess I was looking at the wrong one then. I could see the carb's being cheaper then a efi setup...but $13k vs $2500 is a big difference. The Borla setup is almost $13k and I thought the Inglese was too.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #503
jcramsey

Wow...can't wait to see how that engine turns out with that intake and those carbs. Very interested in how it will perform!

The Government Mule
jcramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #504
Frizzle Fry

IR intakes (EFI or Carb'd) are cool as hell!
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:52 PM   #505
JR25

I definitely want to see this in person! I have a No Limit rack on my 55 with the solid front axle. Their craftsmanship seems to be good, dont have the truck on the road yet, so I cant comment on how well this particular rack performs.

How far are you from the mall? I work at the old Lowes building across the street from there. (Active duty with the National Guard)
Posted via Mobile Device
JR25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #506
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrusk View Post
very cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
I'm glad you're able to get back to work on the truck. I've been patiently waiting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Campo View Post
I like the way you are thinking with the intake etc! Will be anxiously waiting to see it.
Thanks dudes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom View Post
http://www.jegs.com/i/Borla/157/200067/10002/-1

I guess I was looking at the wrong one then. I could see the carb's being cheaper then a efi setup...but $13k vs $2500 is a big difference. The Borla setup is almost $13k and I thought the Inglese was too.

Yeah the EFI cost is crazy! I couldn't afford that, and wouldn't want it if I could. I can't adjust/tune efi with a screwdriver and wrench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcramsey View Post
Wow...can't wait to see how that engine turns out with that intake and those carbs. Very interested in how it will perform!
You and me both, I have dual two barrels on IR intakes on my 90 HP '64 VW bug and the throttle response in 1-2 gears is near violent! I can't imagine what it would be like with 500+ hp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
IR intakes (EFI or Carb'd) are cool as hell!
Yes they are! Not only looks but they perform soooo much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR25 View Post
I definitely want to see this in person! I have a No Limit rack on my 55 with the solid front axle. Their craftsmanship seems to be good, dont have the truck on the road yet, so I cant comment on how well this particular rack performs.

How far are you from the mall? I work at the old Lowes building across the street from there. (Active duty with the National Guard)
Posted via Mobile Device
We're right off 28 bypass behind Westside High. Come over some time and take a look! You might know my brother Chris Glenn, he's in the Guards.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #507
theastronaut

The No Limit Rack came today, looks to be a very well thought out kit. Next purchase will probably be the intake; definitely want to get my hands on one of those while they're availble. I imagine they're a pretty low production part so I'm worried about how long they'll be available.

Also bought another cluster to restore/flip. These things are addictive!

Old 09-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #508
duallyjams

But you make the cluster resto look easy.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #509
theastronaut

Just threw the rack kit on to check clearances... there's not enough room to raise the crossmember 1.5" like I'd wanted to unless I can find a smaller harmonic balancer. The only other option would be to raise the engine, but that would mean swapping to a high hump floor. I really don't want to raise the engine up since that would raise the center of gravity. I can't move the engine back any farther to get the pulley behind the rack either; it's already against the firewall pretty tightly. Anyone know of a smaller diameter balancer?

I know the rack is in crooked, forgot the donut bushing to center it in the passenger side mount.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #510
duallyjams

That's hot rodding, one thing leads to another, changing to smaller one going to change the ratio of all the accessories and moving the engine forward will give you unwanted nose weight. With your skills move the fire wall and move the engine back, I know you didn't plan on doing it but you can do it.

65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto

IG duallyjams

Old 09-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #511
theastronaut

I did some more looking around and found a chart that shows the depth of different factory pulleys. Vette balancers only stick out from the front cover 2 1/8", that may be enough to get it behind the rack. The one that's on it now isn't seated all the way either, I'll measure and see if a Vette balancer will fit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #512
jdoisher

Quote:
I did some more looking around and found a chart that shows the depth of different factory pulleys. Vette balancers only stick out from the front cover 2 1/8", that may be enough to get it behind the rack. The one that's on it now isn't seated all the way either, I'll measure and see if a Vette balancer will fit.
Posted via Mobile Device
If the vette balancer works let me know, I have a new Trick Flow that I can not use, I threw away the box. 150.00 and its yours.
Jason
Old 09-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #513
JR25

The hardest part of rebuilding my engine that I ran into was pulleys! But at least you have a thousand options with your engine! Look on Summit Racing, and have fun!
Posted via Mobile Device
JR25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #514
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoisher View Post
If the vette balancer works let me know, I have a new Trick Flow that I can not use, I threw away the box. 150.00 and its yours.
Jason
Appreciate the offer! I found a 6.2" diameter 25% underdrive balancer that should fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR25 View Post
The hardest part of rebuilding my engine that I ran into was pulleys! But at least you have a thousand options with your engine! Look on Summit Racing, and have fun!
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah there is so much available for the LS engines, I'm used to VW's where they've mostly been using the same aftermarket parts for 10-15+ years!
Old 09-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #515
theastronaut

Found a vid of a LS3 crate engine with IR EFI. They haven't tuned it yet so it won't idle, but the throttle response and sound is ridiculous!

Old 09-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #516
LoRollinLS

that thing sounds nutz! can't wait to hear it in your truck!
LoRollinLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #517
TommyDuncan

I used to work at a high end engine shop. We built mostly trophy truck engines which have almost no rules engine wise, other than they have to be naturally aspirated and no nitrous.
We mostly built big, injected small blocks. Usually around 430 cubic inches and 850 horsepower. They actually had to tune some of the throttle response out of them for driveability reasons. Getting knocked around flying through the desert made it hard to ease the throttle...
ironically these engines almost always made a tad more power on the dyno with a carburetor. In a drag race the injected motor would probably win though.
We also built a few IR injected all aluminum FE big blocks for brand new Shelby Cobras. One was 500+cid(I think it was a 513... been a few years) with a belt driven supercharger.
Posted via Mobile Device
TommyDuncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #518
theastronaut

I moved the frame into the shop after work today to get started on raising the crossmember 1.5". First order of business was to do some housekeeping.

With the critters exiled, I layed out a rough cut line. I don't like that I'm going to lose the upper two mounting points above the upper control arm studs. Gotta find a way around that. This is with the frame flipped upside down, they're the bottom two holes. They'll be right at the upper frame flange, and there's no way to relocate the hole in the crossmember any lower. I do want to drop the upper control arm studs .5" for a better camber curve, so that may drop the holes back down into the side of the frame rails. I might be able to squeeze a couple smaller diameter bolts in there then, but it would be super close.

I'm also thinking about dropping the lower rail (upper in pic) 1.5", then cutting out the whole center of the frame rail and filling it with flat plate so I can make clean mounting holes. There's no way to cut 1.5" out without butchering the holes like I have layed out here. I'd rather just section the crossmember itself, but then the R&P mount wouldn't fit.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #519
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRollinLS View Post
that thing sounds nutz! can't wait to hear it in your truck!
I can't wait either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDuncan View Post
I used to work at a high end engine shop. We built mostly trophy truck engines which have almost no rules engine wise, other than they have to be naturally aspirated and no nitrous.
We mostly built big, injected small blocks. Usually around 430 cubic inches and 850 horsepower. They actually had to tune some of the throttle response out of them for driveability reasons. Getting knocked around flying through the desert made it hard to ease the throttle...
ironically these engines almost always made a tad more power on the dyno with a carburetor. In a drag race the injected motor would probably win though.
We also built a few IR injected all aluminum FE big blocks for brand new Shelby Cobras. One was 500+cid(I think it was a 513... been a few years) with a belt driven supercharger.
Posted via Mobile Device
I've always heard that drag racing VW engines made more peak hp with carbs vs EFI. Carbs are able to better atomize the fuel at WOT, I think.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #520
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Quote:
I moved the frame into the shop after work today to get started on raising the crossmember 1.5"....
...With the critters exiled, I layed out a rough cut line. I don't like that I'm going to lose the upper two mounting points above the upper control arm studs. Gotta find a way around that. This is with the frame flipped upside down, they're the bottom two holes. They'll be right at the upper frame flange, and there's no way to relocate the hole in the crossmember any lower. I do want to drop the upper control arm studs .5" for a better camber curve, so that may drop the holes back down into the side of the frame rails. I might be able to squeeze a couple smaller diameter bolts in there then, but it would be super close.

I'm also thinking about dropping the lower rail (upper in pic) 1.5", then cutting out the whole center of the frame rail and filling it with flat plate so I can make clean mounting holes. There's no way to cut 1.5" out without butchering the holes like I have layed out here. I'd rather just section the crossmember itself, but then the R&P mount wouldn't fit.

John, I sent you a PM response. From you pic, those upper to holes should end up completely above the top flange of the frame rail on yours. If so, weld on a "tab" to run the bolts thru or weld on a couple of threaed blocks for a bit a a cleaner look.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #521
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
John, I sent you a PM response. From you pic, those upper to holes should end up completely above the top flange of the frame rail on yours. If so, weld on a "tab" to run the bolts thru or weld on a couple of threaed blocks for a bit a a cleaner look.

Thanks for the PM, that confirms what I was thinking. I didn't really want to do anything above the rail since the inner fenders don't cover that spot, but if I have to then I have to.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #522
theastronaut

Got one side roughed in tonight. I decided to cut all the holes out and just use plate to fill in the sides. Should look cleaner when it's done that way.

Laid out more precise cut lines.

Cut out.

Welded back in place. I need to get some plate steel to fill in the hole.

I mentioned earlier that I was doing some wheel and suspension changes on the VW. Just got the thin porta-walls in today. I built the front wheels using 15x5.5 Porsche 911/912 steel rims, and welded in the VW centers. The rears will be 7" made by welding 3" bands into the original 4" wheels. Gotta get adjustable rear spring plates to lower it a little more, pick out tires, and paint the rear wheels. Need a mild rear sway bar too. If I can get it all done in time I want to take it to Goodguys Charlotte and try out the autocross track.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #523
duallyjams

went to the Rodder Journal show at Pimlico
this was the only VW on the grounds
Name:  IMG_1780.jpg
Views: 2232
Size:  59.4 KB
there were a lot of induction of all kinds, these were the two really impressive ones
Name:  IMG_1753.jpg
Views: 2175
Size:  65.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1798.jpg
Views: 2225
Size:  68.5 KB

65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto

IG duallyjams

Old 10-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #524
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Got one side roughed in tonight. I decided to cut all the holes out and just use plate to fill in the sides. Should look cleaner when it's done that way.
Killer work on the frame.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #525
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Quote:
Gotta get adjustable rear spring plates to lower it a little more, pick out tires, and paint the rear wheels. Need a mild rear sway bar too. If I can get it all done in time I want to take it to Goodguys Charlotte and try out the autocross track.
I never heard of adjustable spring plates, is that something new? I always lowered or raised by adjusting the rear spring plates. You would need a protractor to be accurate on both sides.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!