The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #501
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

Re: "Slowly but Surely" Big J's build thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post
and Tim and Bryan are doin' a fine job.
Well thanks! Maybe I missed my calling...or maybe not.

BTW Big J, keep up the good work.

2009 4x4 Chevy Crew Cab 6.0
1989 4x4 Siverado (270,000 miles)
1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton
1970 Corvette (sons project)

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09
Chevyman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:16 PM   #502
jaros44sr

Quote:
Between you and me and everyone who reads this thread.... If I had the money I'd pay someone to do the body for me, lol... But I don't so I'm gettin' r done. The answer is yep, I'm sure I don't want to. and Tim and Bryan are doin' a fine job.
JMHO, but those guys earn their money the ol' fashioned way. Mine will be going into Bodyshop Prison

Tim, ya just missed the 500th post

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 12-19-2008 at 01:17 PM.
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #503
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

Hey I forgot that I needed to vent a little.... Went over to the garage last night for some sanding and drilling... Found a real nice big greasy hand print on the side of the bed. I'm talkin' grab a 30 year old oil soaked motor greasy. Someone (neighbor) had leaned against it for one reason or another. I can't really complain because the space is free. But its always some kinda sillyness, my tools strung out here and there or sumthin'. I think one of two things is gonna have to happen. Either take it to a shop and have them finish the bodywork (it stays way to dirty in its current home for it to turn out like I want) or find the funds to build a pole barn in the back yard. I don't know, just kinda bums me out. I really enjoy garage time workin' on this or helping fix that and the general bs'ing. Just wish everyone that walked through had respect for the work and equipment. rant over...

My Build
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:58 PM   #504
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Man that isnt cool, that grease could very well cause your paint to fisheye.

I really like what you are doing with your blazer, I always wanted to do the fuel door with mine like you did to yours because I could never get mine to fuel easy.

I think it is going to be auful sharp when its done. Dont lose hope just have to keep plugging away.

And IMO having your own shop space is the best thing you could ever do for yourself. I have recently realised that dream myself and it is amazing, even though my garage is a piece of junk, it is a million times better than not having one.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #505
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

Quote:
Hey I forgot that I needed to vent a little.... Went over to the garage last night for some sanding and drilling... Found a real nice big greasy hand print on the side of the bed. I'm talkin' grab a 30 year old oil soaked motor greasy. Someone (neighbor) had leaned against it for one reason or another. I can't really complain because the space is free. But its always some kinda sillyness, my tools strung out here and there or sumthin'. I think one of two things is gonna have to happen. Either take it to a shop and have them finish the bodywork (it stays way to dirty in its current home for it to turn out like I want) or find the funds to build a pole barn in the back yard. I don't know, just kinda bums me out. I really enjoy garage time workin' on this or helping fix that and the general bs'ing. Just wish everyone that walked through had respect for the work and equipment. rant over...
IMHO you're rant is justified! Like you stated, it's all about having respect for other peoples stuff. Good luck with finding a way to build the new man space.

1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09
Old 12-19-2008, 06:06 PM   #506
vtblazer

Quote:
I think one of two things is gonna have to happen. Either take it to a shop and have them finish the bodywork or find the funds to build a pole barn in the back yard.
Option two, you'll never regret it.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:01 AM   #507
Big J

Welp, talked it over with my wife and she's gonna check into pulling enough out of the 401K to build me a 24'x30'. Not sure if we can, I'll find out Monday. Shoulda done it sooner, lol, we lost enough this year to build a 30'x40', lol. I went over and did a couple things last night. Mounted up the tie down points in the bed floor. The rear are mounted through the crossmember. The front just through the floor. I need to make a couple reinforcement plates for the front.
These should be strong enough to pick up the tub. They came off a military trailered generator, probably weighed 1500 or so. I also came up with an option 3 for the moment. PLASTIC, lol. Shoulda done this sooner. duh...
Attached Images

My Build
Old 12-20-2008, 09:10 AM   #508
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

Good luck with the potential shop build. As Kurt said (or wrote), you'll never regret it.

1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09
Old 12-20-2008, 09:15 AM   #509
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Yep, I hope that can work out, shops sure make life a bit easier, having more room.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:50 AM   #510
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Home Depot has a couple of great books on building garages, I would highly recommend picking them up, should cost you 40-50 bucks, they even have plans in em.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #511
C10 Club Tennessee

J, I'd be furious too. I took my father in law and two brother in law's over to see the blazer last Sunday. My father in law slammed the passenger side door. WITH NO RUBBER IN THEM YET!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yep, you guessed it it chipped the paint on the top of the bed side where the door shuts. It's about the size of a dime. I didn't know what to say, well I actually did, but couldn't get them out fast enough. Jason was angry as I've ever seen him. He's out of paint so, he cleaned it up best he could, and probably will never be noticed by most people. I'll always see it.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:41 AM   #512
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
J, I'd be furious too. I took my father in law and two brother in law's over to see the blazer last Sunday. My father in law slammed the passenger side door. WITH NO RUBBER IN THEM YET!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yep, you guessed it it chipped the paint on the top of the bed side where the door shuts. It's about the size of a dime. I didn't know what to say, well I actually did, but couldn't get them out fast enough. Jason was angry as I've ever seen him. He's out of paint so, he cleaned it up best he could, and probably will never be noticed by most people. I'll always see it.
hard to hold your tongue

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:48 AM   #513
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
hard to hold your tongue
Ain't it the truth!!

1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09
Old 12-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #514
Bentblazer

As far as the separate shop, You'll never regret it, I have a 30x40 and planning to add no this spring. The rant well justified, With a black car I just love it when someone rubs their finger down it and says it sure needs washed(killem)
1930 Chevy two door rat
Bentblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:11 PM   #515
Bigbore
just stuff and more stuff

Hey Jay I'm kinda new here but nice job! The transfer case looks like a New Process 203 or 205, I would have to go out into the shed and look to see which one is which, I gottem both. But I believe the 205 is gear to gear and 203 is chain driven. I think this transfer case was designed after the dana 300 which is bullet proof, or at least thats what I hear. Either way you have a good case! The only thing most people complain about it the weight, but I like full size trucks so who cares about weight. Just as long as it doesn't break!
Bigbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #516
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbore View Post
The only thing most people complain about it the weight
...and the anemic 1.96:1 first gear ratio.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:16 PM   #517
Big J

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 View Post

It never fails, most of the people I know think that because its a truck you have to slam the doors. Even in my late model dodge people slam the doors. Sorry to hear about the damage. Probably wouldn't hurt to go ahead and buy a quart or gallon of paint just incase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentblazer View Post
As far as the separate shop, You'll never regret it, I have a 30x40 and planning to add no this spring. The rant well justified, With a black car I just love it when someone rubs their finger down it and says it sure needs washed(killem)
I've been thinkin' of going with a different color for that very reason. Talked to the place I got the paint and they said no problem on a exchange. Still not sure what color though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbore View Post
Hey Jay I'm kinda new here but nice job! The transfer case looks like a New Process 203 or 205, I would have to go out into the shed and look to see which one is which, I gottem both. But I believe the 205 is gear to gear and 203 is chain driven. I think this transfer case was designed after the dana 300 which is bullet proof, or at least thats what I hear. Either way you have a good case! The only thing most people complain about it the weight, but I like full size trucks so who cares about weight. Just as long as it doesn't break!
Welcome to the board. Yep, I'm runnin' a 205 gear drivin' case. No need to worry about breakage here though. No intentions of beatin' on it.

My Build
Old 12-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #518
Big J

Talking Re: "Slowly but Surely" Big J's build thread...

Well its a no go on the funds so I'm going to make the best of it. Don't get me wrong I'm extremely thankful for the space and its been fun. Just wish everyone would keep their dirty hands to themselves, lol. I'm going to get back after it this weekend.
sand sand sand----sand sand sand-----sanding all the day
Oh what fun it is to sand-------have a wonderful sanding day-----HEY! dashing through the dust------making metal nice-----oh what fun it is to sand, choking all the night----Oh sand sand sand------etc. and so on. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

My Build

Last edited by Big J; 12-24-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:37 PM   #519
Bentblazer

Sorry about the funding but you still have a place to do it all. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas
1930 Chevy two door rat
Bentblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:24 AM   #520
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

Quote:
sand sand sand----sand sand sand-----sanding all the day
Oh what fun it is to sand-------have a wonderful sanding day-----HEY! dashing through the dust------making metal nice-----oh what fun it is to sand, choking all the night----Oh sand sand sand------etc. and so on. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
And Merry Christmas to you as well sir!

1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09

Last edited by Chevyman63; 12-25-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:17 PM   #521
Big J

Hey GREAT NEWS! I found out today that I've over stayed my welcome. So I'm going to move my tools, mig, air compressor, Blazer, whatnots, lol, over to my old hang out. Over to the inlaws is a nice big garage we turned into a apartment thing, lol, several years ago. Down came the rollup door and up went a wall. So now, down comes the wall and up goes a door.... They don't use if for anything, not even storage and invited me to use it. So its mine until I'm done. Its gonna be a JOB moving everything over. Wish me luck.

On a nicer note, check out the sweet Thunderbolt One model my favorite aunt and uncle got me for Christmas!
Attached Images

My Build
Old 12-25-2008, 11:41 PM   #522
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

Hey J, hate to hear that you have to take time out of the build to relocate. Hope not a lot of ill will comes out of it. Good luck my friend.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket

Last edited by Ron 586; 12-25-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:25 AM   #523
Big J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron 586 View Post
Hey J, hate to hear that you have to take time out of the build to relocate. Hope not a lot of ill will comes out of it. Good luck my friend.
Nope, no ills.... Its been a fun ride. Just hope I can get it done by July!

My Build
Old 12-26-2008, 07:02 AM   #524
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

That's awesome! Congrats on the new space.

And that model is very cool also.

1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09
Old 12-31-2008, 08:47 AM   #525
Big J

I started cutting, packing, bolting, cleaning, loading, tossing, cussing, moving, unloading, on Saturday afternoon. As of right now all I have left are some parts upstairs, air compressor, and engine crain. I'll soon be back to sanding! Heres some pics.
Attached Images

My Build