The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #1
halfstep

Re: SPID Picture thread?

Thanks. We may be somewhat of a minority. I suspect there are a lot more trucks here that were green to begin with...
halfstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #2
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Clean looking spid too. The upper LH corner has come undone a bit on mine. I figure to cut the bad off, and match it with 3M protection film. May even top the entire spid off with another sheet. That is unless someone has a better idea.
Since you are pushing for an original appearing truck I'd advise against altering the SPID. Generally I advise people to have a reproduction SPID made and attach it to another restored glovebox door thus keeping the original safe and intact. Keeps you from having the dreaded repaint masking line around the SPID as well.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:17 AM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Since you are pushing for an original appearing truck I'd advise against altering the SPID. Generally I advise people to have a reproduction SPID made and attach it to another restored glovebox door thus keeping the original safe and intact. Keeps you from having the dreaded repaint masking line around the SPID as well.
You know that's a good idea. May depend on the cost of a nice glove box door. From what I'm seeing, not bad. Nice to hear from you SS.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:32 AM   #4
cheyenne shortstep

Here's one from the 69 GMC 2500 I picked up today.
Attached Images

cheyenne shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:57 AM   #5
Ed F

Can't help but notice the condition of SPIDS. Some really show their age while others look brand new. The one in my '70 C10 is long gone. I recently looked at a '72. The SPID was covered with a plastic film like it was it was laminated and looked brand new. So I have a couple questions.

Did GM start laminating them at some point. And if so about when did that happen?

I imagine there are reproduction ones out there. How can you tell if it's original or a reproduction?

In a case like mine where the truck no longer retains the original, is there a way to get the correct information to make an accurate reproduction.

Is there any way to verify if the truck was built to the SPID or if the SPID was created to match the truck?

I guess the answer to my second and third question would also answer the last question. And people who create reproductions do so on the honor system.
Ed F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:29 AM   #6
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed F View Post
Did GM start laminating them at some point. And if so about when did that happen?
Yes. I don't remember what model year but it varied by final assembly location. My '87 is laminated, and I think my '80 was laminated.

Quote:
I imagine there are reproduction ones out there. How can you tell if it's original or a reproduction?
Site member "chipflyer" does reproductions. I'm sure he can tell an original from a reproduction. http://outintheshop.com/

Quote:
In a case like mine where the truck no longer retains the original, is there a way to get the correct information to make an accurate reproduction.
You can contact the GM Heritage Center Archives, depending on your model year. For US built and/or sold light trucks after 1976 you can send them your VIN and $50 and they will return the actual vehicle invoice for your specific truck, which includes RPO content and pricing.

http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/?page=1

GM of Canada has information reaching a little farther back, for vehicles sold in Canada, or vehicles produced in Canada for US consumption.

http://www.vintagevehicleservices.com/options.html

If you don't fall in either of those categories you are out of luck.

Quote:
Is there any way to verify if the truck was built to the SPID or if the SPID was created to match the truck?
For the original build: The SPID is a service document. The truck is contented and all of the build information broadcast throughout the assembly plant to the areas required. The build manifest, specific build sheet, tuneup labels, tire pressure labels, VIN tag and SPID document are all created to match the truck as a result of that process. The build sheet is what communicates to the assembly floor how the truck is to be built.

40 years after the fact: It's a mixed bag. The hardcore restorer will build the truck as originally equipped; some percentage of guys build the truck the way they want. A few will make a new SPID to match the added content; from what I've observed most do not go to that effort*. You probably won't be able to tell unless (a) you have the build sheet or something else documenting the original content or (b) you ask them.

*In reviewing this thread I see one person that made a new SPID to match their added content.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 02-11-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:33 AM   #7
geunther

72 Cheyenne Super. Grease pencil underneath. I never noticed that before.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2016, 04:05 PM   #8
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by geunther View Post
72 Cheyenne Super. Grease pencil underneath. I never noticed that before.
It happens sometimes.

What is the trim color of your truck? Baltimore didn't generally list the code on the SPID. If it is a blue or olive trim I'd love to see a picture or two.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:58 AM   #9
colgad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Yes. I don't remember what model year but it varied by final assembly location. My '87 is laminated, and I think my '80 was laminated.

Site member "chipflyer" does reproductions. I'm sure he can tell an original from a reproduction. http://outintheshop.com/

You can contact the GM Heritage Center Archives, depending on your model year. For US built and/or sold light trucks after 1976 you can send them your VIN and $50 and they will return the actual vehicle invoice for your specific truck, which includes RPO content and pricing.

http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/?page=1

GM of Canada has information reaching a little farther back, for vehicles sold in Canada, or vehicles produced in Canada for US consumption.

http://www.vintagevehicleservices.com/options.html

If you don't fall in either of those categories you are out of luck.

For the original build: The SPID is a service document. The truck is contented and all of the build information broadcast throughout the assembly plant to the areas required. The build manifest, specific build sheet, tuneup labels, tire pressure labels, VIN tag and SPID document are all created to match the truck as a result of that process. The build sheet is what communicates to the assembly floor how the truck is to be built.

40 years after the fact: It's a mixed bag. The hardcore restorer will build the truck as originally equipped; some percentage of guys build the truck the way they want. A few will make a new SPID to match the added content; from what I've observed most do not go to that effort*. You probably won't be able to tell unless (a) you have the build sheet or something else documenting the original content or (b) you ask them.

*In reviewing this thread I see one person that made a new SPID to match their added content.

K
I did it to mine. Not perfect but it was fun doing it.
Attached Images

1955 Red-Cream, Chevrolet Nomad, restoration on hold
2004 Black, Corvette Z06 LS6 convertible (Rock solid Fun) 2011/2018 Power Tour
colgad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:22 AM   #10
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

My 67 CST has a 71 glovebox door. Just pick this one up today to replace it.
Not sure what the "J63 FRT & REAR SHIELDS" are. I assume they are some kind of brake shield from the "J" prefix.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1456028098
Attached Images

Canuckvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:01 PM   #11
jamesmadconductor

My 71 C20 Cheyenne's SPID and an exterior shot

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

1949 Chevy 3800 Panel Truck
1971 Chevy C20 Cheyenne BB402
1958 Cadillac Series 62
1958 MG-A
1940 LaSalle Series 52 Coupe
1912 Ford Model T
jamesmadconductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:43 PM   #12
SS Tim

Canuckvetter, That existing Oshawa SPID is a nice one in itself. Is there a better picture posted somewhere? It would be a nice addition to my collection.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:48 PM   #13
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Quote:
Canuckvetter, That existing Oshawa SPID is a nice one in itself. Is there a better picture posted somewhere? It would be a nice addition to my collection.
Here you go Tim. Thats the best I have. Took the acetone to it just minutes ago. Would have been a sweet truck in Seafoam Green with Fawn interior.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1457149415
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2016, 11:52 PM   #14
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Quote:
I have 2 more Oshawa SPID's if your interested 67&68
Old 03-05-2016, 12:29 AM   #15
SS Tim

Thanks for taking the time. As to the other two need you even ask? Of course we would like to see them as well!!! :-)
Old 03-05-2016, 01:01 AM   #16
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time. As to the other two need you even ask? Of course we would like to see them as well!!! :-)
Post 513 on this thread is my other 67.

This truck I had made a deal, gave him 20% down, rented a trailer, drove 1-1/2 hrs. of a 2 hr. trip to get a phone call that he changed his mind.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1457153995
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #17
crf250r

Only have the glovebox door, sure wish the rest of the truck came with it.
Attached Images

Last edited by crf250r; 03-09-2016 at 03:33 PM.
crf250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #18
Tomahawk30

Here's one that I snapped of a truck for sale over the weekend... Looks like it was built up in Canada.

1972 C10 Custom Deluxe Highlander - sold
1971 Cheyenne Super Longhorn -sold
1972 Cheyenne Super SWB 4x4 -sold, bought back, sold again... I'm dumb.
1970 Chevy C10 SWB "Sprout" -sold
1972 Cheyenne K20 -sold
1969 GMC Shortbox Stepside 4x4 -sold
1972 GMC Jimmy 4x4 -sold
Tomahawk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:52 PM   #19
elpound

Here is my finished product on my "obviously" fake SPID. I didn't want to use a typewriter as someone suggested. It's not perfect, but I'm happy with it. It will enhance my build and presentation.
Attached Images

elpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:39 PM   #20
jocko

generally speaking, 500 series RPOs are conventional two tone (different top only) and 400 series are deluxe two tone (i.e. white top and middle for 71/72 and top and bottom below lower belt for 69/70). I think 69/70 used a different term than "deluxe two tone" for the 400 coded RPOs, forget what it is off the top of my head. 534 is white top/med olive rest of body.
EDIT: Looks like your tailgate was originally med olive - and can see it peeking out of the upper left corner of the SPID where the clear is peeling as well as see the overspray/tape line on the SPID itself where the dk olive was sprayed - lots of work! Just sounds like a thorough repaint - but it's odd they'd go to the trouble of the inside of the cab but not the inside of the tailgate... Is the inside of the bed painted dk olive? Maybe used to have a bed liner?

Last edited by jocko; 04-10-2016 at 03:07 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:59 PM   #21
layinrocker65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
but it's odd they'd go to the trouble of the inside of the cab but not the inside of the tailgate... Is the inside of the bed painted dk olive? Maybe used to have a bed liner?
So the truck had a camper on it for most of its life. The metal bed is super scratched up but in great shape and no sign of respray in the bed. They had two plastic huelga bird decals (guy claims it was for migrant farm workers and not for the norteno gang which is odd since he told me he is selling the truck to pay for defense lawyer fees and court fees and was possibly going to prison for his crimes) any ways the birds were just double side tapes to the dash and door panel and that was taped off when sprayed. I removed them and now there are medium olive huelga birds in its place.
‘74 Chevy C10 SWB 5.3/4L80e, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, US Mags
layinrocker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:42 PM   #22
layinrocker65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
but it's odd they'd go to the trouble of the inside of the cab but not the inside of the tailgate... Is the inside of the bed painted dk olive? Maybe used to have a bed liner?
So the truck had a camper on it for most of its life. The metal bed is super scratched up but in great shape and no sign of respray in the bed. They had two plastic huelga bird decals (guy claims it was for migrant farm workers and not for the norteno gang which is odd since he told me he is selling the truck to pay for defense lawyer fees and court fees and was possibly going to prison for his crimes) any ways the birds were just double side tapes to the dash and door panel and that was taped off when sprayed. I removed them and now there are medium olive huelga birds in its place.
‘74 Chevy C10 SWB 5.3/4L80e, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, US Mags
layinrocker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:27 PM   #23
Boyd67

Just a plain jane. You can't see it very well
Attached Images

-67' C10 SWB FLEETSIDE LS 5.3 4 speed muncie
Boyd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:09 PM   #24
jocko

Ha, that's pretty funny. What are you going to do? Stay dark olive or go med olive? Both are nice!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:55 PM   #25
Highlander72

Here's one I saw today, still owned by the same family. Pretty sparse, just radio and posi! lol
Attached Images