The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #526
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: Rebuild on a shoestring.....continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxCHEVYMANxX View Post
Hi Johnathan, just checkin in on you. any updates?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Sleeper View Post
X2...anything new?
sorry guys, no work on the truck since last update. Been pushing it in and out of the garage to get parts to sell...does that count?
Old 12-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #527
71Sleeper

As long as the funds are going to the truck as well, then I would say it counts.
71Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #528
XxCHEVYMANxX

Yep, sounds hands-on to me.
1977 Trans Am (Project)
1965 Chevelle (Project)
XxCHEVYMANxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #529
BuiltwithIvy

Just do what I do with PS boxes, pick them up from junk yard for $30, spend $30 on a rebuild kit from rockauto, and then drive it until it falls apart, rinse and repeat, though I have still yet to have one fall apart, but one did seize up quite violently, which made steering home about as much fun as jumping up and down on my steering wheel, which I also had to do come think of it....
"To speak of the art of one loom, the art of one river, the art of one tractor, or the art of one automobile is not preposterous; it is to point to the size and importance of the gap between general knowledge and situated knowledge" - James C. Scott
1969 C10 - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=492064
1930 Tudor Sedan
BuiltwithIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #530
FrankieD

You could hire a neighbor kid for $10 to pressure wash it
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:47 AM   #531
VA72C10
VA72C10

Truck is listed for sale...trying something different....offering the next owner the chance to have me complete the truck the way they want it. LWB, SWB, stock, dropped, bagged, custom, trim, no trim, whatever you want

So...no...I'm not giving up on the project....just wanting to make sure I complete the project the way the next owner wants instead of simply doing it the way I think it should be done....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...p?product=5956
Old 12-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #532
slick copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Truck is listed for sale...trying something different....offering the next owner the chance to have me complete the truck the way they want it. LWB, SWB, stock, dropped, bagged, custom, trim, no trim, whatever you want

So...no...I'm not giving up on the project....just wanting to make sure I complete the project the way the next owner wants instead of simply doing it the way I think it should be done....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...p?product=5956
That's a great idea man. It'll make someone real happy that doesn't have the know how or experience. Wish I had the $$ for another truck, I'd have you build it for me! Guess I'd better stick to mine. Just gotta get people to buy my stuff so I can work on it!

1967 Chevy C/10 LWB Custom Optioned "big window truck" AKA Copper

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=452594
The story of how I got the truck:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=450939
Ole Smokey Build Thread 2002 Silverado 8.1L Crew Cab **SOLD**http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=618402
slick copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #533
watahyahknow

nice build .... subscribed
about the caulking : use a stiff brush or a partly taped up round paintbrush to push the sealant intoo the grooves instead of youre fingers that way you dont cut them on any sharp edges and it will push the sealand in deeper

for the welding to sound like ripping cloth , i allways was told it should sound like bacon in a fryingpan so with a little more splatter so you get deeper penetration on the weld without the exces wire being added to it

the idea of the hood and the magnifyingglas is definetely sumting im going to try out on the cheap weldinghelmet i have , it has a electricly darkening glas but it helps to be able to see just that little better
my eyesight isnt to good and i got some wearable magnifyingglasses i use for reading small print and working on realy small things that i can stick inside the helmet , this just might work for me making better welds im allso considering sticking one of those forehead/hiker/handsfree flashlights to the helmet to light up the suroundings a little more

for the wiring : get some painterstape and a sharpy write wat the connection is for on the tape tear it off and stick it fold it over the wire the picture usually only work as in wat direction and wat location some things are mounted like on the firewall and stuff like that

youre doing a great job on the budget but remember the devil is in the detail you will be suprized how must the last little rubber thingies stickers coverplates and other little stuff to complete the truck will cost you
i once bought a cheap donor car for the engine and suspension to be build in a better body i had , it was missing the aircleaner and i couldnt find the one with the correct inlet on the wreckingyard , that one inletrubber new and the seperate parts needed to get it to fit the aircleaner i did found doubled the total costs of the build

looking forward on seeing the rest of the build

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:08 AM   #534
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
nice build .... subscribed
about the caulking : use a stiff brush or a partly taped up round paintbrush to push the sealant intoo the grooves instead of youre fingers that way you dont cut them on any sharp edges and it will push the sealand in deeper

for the welding to sound like ripping cloth , i allways was told it should sound like bacon in a fryingpan so with a little more splatter so you get deeper penetration on the weld without the exces wire being added to it

the idea of the hood and the magnifyingglas is definetely sumting im going to try out on the cheap weldinghelmet i have , it has a electricly darkening glas but it helps to be able to see just that little better
my eyesight isnt to good and i got some wearable magnifyingglasses i use for reading small print and working on realy small things that i can stick inside the helmet , this just might work for me making better welds im allso considering sticking one of those forehead/hiker/handsfree flashlights to the helmet to light up the suroundings a little more

for the wiring : get some painterstape and a sharpy write wat the connection is for on the tape tear it off and stick it fold it over the wire the picture usually only work as in wat direction and wat location some things are mounted like on the firewall and stuff like that

youre doing a great job on the budget but remember the devil is in the detail you will be suprized how must the last little rubber thingies stickers coverplates and other little stuff to complete the truck will cost you
i once bought a cheap donor car for the engine and suspension to be build in a better body i had , it was missing the aircleaner and i couldnt find the one with the correct inlet on the wreckingyard , that one inletrubber new and the seperate parts needed to get it to fit the aircleaner i did found doubled the total costs of the build

looking forward on seeing the rest of the build
Thanks. Planning to get back to it soon. I need to get it complete to sell it! Here's the for sale ad where I'm offering to finish it how the next person wants.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...1-21-21&cat=12

The good news on the "little things" is that I basically have a 67-72 store in my downstairs with gaskets/weatherstrip/lenses/handles, etc etc to pull from....I bought everything from the son of a man who passed away...he was in the process of opening an antique truck parts store in our area and I ended up with all the 67-72 parts...
Old 01-15-2012, 06:11 AM   #535
watahyahknow

wow you must feel in walhallah when youre here then

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:47 AM   #536
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

I'm tuned in to see what happens next.
Posted via Mobile Device
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:28 AM   #537
slick copper

Hey Jonathan! Any progress?

1967 Chevy C/10 LWB Custom Optioned "big window truck" AKA Copper

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=452594
The story of how I got the truck:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=450939
Ole Smokey Build Thread 2002 Silverado 8.1L Crew Cab **SOLD**http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=618402
slick copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #538
mx574

that is a cool idea. someone should jump on this.
mx574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #539
truckzilla

Subscribed.
truckzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #540
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
I'm tuned in to see what happens next.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick copper View Post
Hey Jonathan! Any progress?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx574 View Post
that is a cool idea. someone should jump on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckzilla View Post
Subscribed.
I had several interested in the truck but no one's made the commitment yet. Thinking of selling the bed as it's nicer than 95% of them around here...then buying back my 72 swb frame that's a roller and making this a 67swb with my 67 front end and an all new bed....
Old 02-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #541
treveiger

Lookin good!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #542
JRBECK64

My Hats off to you, Ive tried to forget about that kind of rust since I left Michigan and the Salt for the Great NorthWest... Cant wait to see the finished product... Keep the pictures coming...

JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #543
VA72C10
VA72C10

Project stalled while I waited for a buyer....after several possibilities but no firm commitments I'm going to get back to working on it. Going to get it over to the body shop this week to mitigate the last rust

Then will start sanding/prep for paint. Hoping I can find a buyer before paint but if not, I'm thinking a nice "resale" red...any opinions on that? Any guesses/opinions on a "good deal" price for it when painted?
Old 04-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #544
litew8

I'll take curtain # 3 Monte! Considering you have a warehouse of parts at your disposal and your paint/body man sounds professional - I'd say $7,500 give or take a few. This isn't a frame-off is it?

Last edited by litew8; 04-08-2012 at 11:51 PM.
litew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #545
TchncnDen

I had to look through this thread since you've been checking in on mine. If your going to paint it to sell you know how I feel about rustoleum satin black. You could do the whole truck for about $40. Buy it in the quart cans, or gallons if they have them and spray it with a gun. That's how I did the bike and the firewall in my build. The only drawback is that it takes forever to dry. You can touch it the next day, but it needs at least a week or longer to really be handled.
TchncnDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:49 AM   #546
67cheby
67cheby

Looking forward to seeing some progress
Posted via Mobile Device
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #547
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
I'll take curtain # 3 Monte! Considering you have a warehouse of parts at your disposal and your paint/body man sounds professional - I'd say $7,500 give or take a few. This isn't a frame-off is it?
No not a frame off. But could be if I get a buyer wanting it it is going to be a nice solid driver with nice paint as I currently plan it. Thinking around that price depending on what options I finish it with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TchncnDen View Post
I had to look through this thread since you've been checking in on mine. If your going to paint it to sell you know how I feel about rustoleum satin black. You could do the whole truck for about $40. Buy it in the quart cans, or gallons if they have them and spray it with a gun. That's how I did the bike and the firewall in my build. The only drawback is that it takes forever to dry. You can touch it the next day, but it needs at least a week or longer to really be handled.
I love that look but since I have a body shop pro willing to paint it in his booth at a good deal I am going to take advantage of that awesome opportunity to make it a really nice driver for someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
Looking forward to seeing some progress
Posted via Mobile Device
Me too
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #548
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

The 69 Chevy Garnet Red is a great color to go with. Good appeal to even people who don't normally like red.

Here is a friends car in that color for those who don't know which red I am referring to. It gets brighter in direct sunlight and looks almost black at night.
Attached Images

68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:49 AM   #549
VA72C10
VA72C10

I definitely will consider that. I plan on a black interior and the bedliner will be black and I like how that looks with the black stripes....
Old 04-14-2012, 12:48 AM   #550
VA72C10
VA72C10

Glenn...the guy who will be painting the truck....mentioned hugger orange tonight...

I'm thinking about it...

I have the paint divider on the cab so I could do a white roof and white grill (68) and white lettering in the tailgate...

Think that would look really sharp with a black interior and I could paint the engine orange like I planned and it would look good there as well....

Opinions?