The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2007, 12:40 PM   #551
lyrikz
PITbut

Re: LFD's low buck truck build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Went by the paint store before comming home sick for a few days. I guess it is not a smart move to work in the shop in 45* temps when you have 103 temp your self

Well the body shop is open! Here is part of the stash for the paint job and the main body color. The roof will be bright white like John F's. I think it will also get the lower trim now since I have it and it will look better with the light mod I did (It will be a How-To article) and not the lowering one

Dropped $525 on 2 gal of blue, 2 qts of white and 1 qt of black for the top of the dash and inner fenders. Plus all the hardener and reducers.

Kevin
LFD inc.
166hrs main build
$5500.00 main build
25 Paint hrs
$555.00 Paint
I like the running total that your keeping. ahah Where do you get those disks at? Local hardware or paint store???

On that fender mod, did you cut out the template like that on both sides, then flipped it over and welded it on the other fender??? NICE...

Im thinking of cutting my lights out completely, just making it flush... I think that looks clean.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #552
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Went by the paint store before comming home sick for a few days. I guess it is not a smart move to work in the shop in 45* temps when you have 103 temp your self

Well the body shop is open! Here is part of the stash for the paint job and the main body color. The roof will be bright white like John F's. I think it will also get the lower trim now since I have it and it will look better with the light mod I did (It will be a How-To article) and not the lowering one

Dropped $525 on 2 gal of blue, 2 qts of white and 1 qt of black for the top of the dash and inner fenders. Plus all the hardener and reducers.

Kevin
LFD inc.
166hrs main build
$5500.00 main build
25 Paint hrs
$555.00 Paint

Kevin - why don't you buy one of those kerosene space heaters? My buddy used to use one of those in his 2400 sqf shop and it worked like a champ. He has since added central heat and air, .

R
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #553
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
I like the running total that your keeping. ahah Where do you get those disks at? Local hardware or paint store???

On that fender mod, did you cut out the template like that on both sides, then flipped it over and welded it on the other fender??? NICE...

Im thinking of cutting my lights out completely, just making it flush... I think that looks clean.
No I cut one out and turned it 180* and welded it back inplace on the same fender. I get the disks at the goodguys show from the same person year after year but I have no contact info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Kevin - why don't you buy one of those kerosene space heaters? My buddy used to use one of those in his 2400 sqf shop and it worked like a champ. He has since added central heat and air, .

R
Kerosene is to messy but I do have a few propain heaters that work well but I did alot of teh DA work out side. You know how it goes you start to work, get warm and pull off the jacket, get warmer and pull off teh knit hat and soon you are in a T-shirt thinking it is 80* out Once I set up the booth it heats up to 85 real quick. Then I turn them off, spray and heat back up till the next coat.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:05 PM   #554
Webrigs

Thumbs up Re: LFD's low buck truck build!

[QUOTE=Rokcrln;2491516]Well maybe if I would stop making things harder on my self!
I did a few "Light Mods" today to match my bed that I did months ago. I don't even think any one noticed the bed "Light Mods" untill the post after this one

Got to give it up for skchevota, he noticed your bed light mod on 3/21/07...

You do amazing work Kevin; I check on your build threads every chance I have & plan to attempt my own version of Low Buk with my 72 LWB leaf spring Cheyenne outlined in this thread. (Except staying with the stock drivetrain.)

Thanks for all the info you share with the rest of us!
Old 12-19-2007, 08:34 PM   #555
rss396

103 degree temp!!!! Take a break you are not a kid!!! Awesome work but even us that only lurk know you need a break. Take care of yourself. Lots of old trucks only one Kevin.
rss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:31 PM   #556
Rokcrln

Being sick sucks! But the good news is the Brown Santa has been here the past two days giving gifts to those who have been good! Sure glad I ordered under my wife's name

Yesterday I recieved the parts from ECE, inner and outer rockers and A post bottoms. Then today the big slay dropped off the glass box from LMC. I bought all new glass for the truck, Windshield with green tint and the shaded top section, door, wing and rear glass as well all tinted a UV green. That should help a bit with the sun and here in Ca. it is the only legal side window tint as long as it is a factory tint not a film. Now I have all my parts but just not any time but that is better than time but no parts. I hope to head back to work in a day or so and get back on the truck in the same time at night.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
166hrs main build
$6043.00 main build
25 Paint hrs
$555.00 Paint
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 12-21-2007 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:16 PM   #557
Rokcrln

Well not much has happened in the last few days but bad eating and alot of TV watching So today I am felling better and went out to the shop and sealed the rain gutters since it will need a few days to fully cure I thought might as well get it out of the way. I feel it turned out well for my first time! I just taped off the roof side about a 1/4" up and then squeezed in about a 1/4 - 3/8" bead, let it sit for a few minutes. Then with rubber gloves I used a finger and smoothed it all out. Let that sit for about 5-10 min. and pulled the tape off. I used about 1 1/2 tubes of the 3M stuff shown in the pic.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2007, 12:26 PM   #558
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Well not much has happened in the last few days but bad eating and alot of TV watching So today I am felling better and went out to the shop and sealed the rain gutters since it will need a few days to fully cure I thought might as well get it out of the way. I feel it turned out well for my first time! I just taped off the roof side about a 1/4" up and then squeezed in about a 1/4 - 3/8" bead, let it sit for a few minutes. Then with rubber gloves I used a finger and smoothed it all out. Let that sit for about 5-10 min. and pulled the tape off. I used about 1 1/2 tubes of the 3M stuff shown in the pic.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Some of those guys get that **** like glass smooth.... You will see the waves in it and what not.. When the sealant dries, can you do a light film of filler over the sealant.. So you can sand it smooth, or do you not care?? I think it looks good, but you will see a small lip where the tape line is wont you?

Im addicted to your posts like a crack head is to crack...
Old 12-21-2007, 01:30 PM   #559
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
Some of those guys get that **** like glass smooth.... You will see the waves in it and what not.. When the sealant dries, can you do a light film of filler over the sealant.. So you can sand it smooth, or do you not care?? I think it looks good, but you will see a small lip where the tape line is wont you?

Im addicted to your posts like a crack head is to crack...
Yes you will see some but I put in over my Epoxy primmer with the intention of spraying it with my fill primer and then sand that down a bit to hide any tape lines. Keep in mind this is just a driver that I might be going over board on but it is still just a driver for me! The rear smooth stuff is a two part self leveling caulking but I did not want to deal with that.

Kevin
KFD Inc.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:36 PM   #560
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Yes you will see some but I put in over my Epoxy primmer with the intention of spraying it with my fill primer and then sand that down a bit to hide any tape lines. Keep in mind this is just a driver that I might be going over board on but it is still just a driver for me! The rear smooth stuff is a two part self leveling caulking but I did not want to deal with that.

Kevin
KFD Inc.
They sell a self leveling caulking??? Dang.

I definetly want pics of those rails when your done... Hope you get better soon so we can get more pics. ahah
Old 12-22-2007, 03:57 PM   #561
Rokcrln

Spent about 35min tonight getting started on the rockers. I will post a few shots here but all the info will be in another post so it can be turned into a How-To thread for the FAQ section of the board. Krue needs a few more for his list Here is the thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2496658

Here are a few pics!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2007, 04:28 PM   #562
GREASEMONKEY72

can you just weld that seem up and it be fine or do you have to caulk it?

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #563
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREASEMONKEY72 View Post
can you just weld that seem up and it be fine or do you have to caulk it?
What seam?
Old 12-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #564
GREASEMONKEY72

Quote:
What seam?
the drip rail

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
Old 12-23-2007, 08:39 AM   #565
64shortc10

Looking good Kevin! One day it will be my truck your making look this good! I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas. Later

Tony from Norcal
64shortc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:03 PM   #566
Rokcrln

Quote:
the drip rail
I think it would be a bad idea to try this. The metal in their is always a bit rusty and trying to weld it would be tough and ugly. If you did get it all welded and ground smooth their would still be the problem of sitting water in the drip rail that I feel would work its way thru the paint and start to rust. If you are woried about looks then go with the self leveling drip rail caulk and call it good. Or shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64shortc10 View Post
Looking good Kevin! One day it will be my truck your making look this good! I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas. Later

Tony from Norcal
Tony Merry Christmas to your wife, Daughter and your self! I keep waiting for you to pop out from a corner of the shop and say hi

Kevin
LFD inc.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #567
jott_06
Camaro Club

kevin,
I've been following this build for along time now and its really looking good. I'm trying to do the same low buck theme on my 68 gmc. Keep up the good work
jott_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:34 PM   #568
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by jott_06 View Post
kevin,
I've been following this build for along time now and its really looking good. I'm trying to do the same low buck theme on my 68 gmc. Keep up the good work
Thanks it has been fun! Here are a few sneak peaks of the driver side

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2007, 07:32 PM   #569
Rokcrln

Well we were supose to go down to my parents yesterday but that changed untill first thing in the morning so I got a bit more work done. I put in about 20hrs in the last two days and made good progress. I started with some very un-straite fenders and doors not to mention alot of holes, 45 just in the pass side door!
Well after the dust comed down I had the fenders and doors in build primer and now they are ready for the first round of block sanding.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2007, 07:36 PM   #570
Rokcrln

Now a sneak peak at a How-To yet to come

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2007, 09:27 PM   #571
GREASEMONKEY72

i want to keep the drip rail, i was just wondering if you could get away with just welding it up instead

i like those lights, nice and flush, now whered you get them?

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
Old 12-25-2007, 11:25 PM   #572
Rokcrln

Quote:
i want to keep the drip rail, i was just wondering if you could get away with just welding it up instead
See 566 And for were you will need to wait for the How-To to get finished up

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 12-26-2007 at 05:45 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:15 AM   #573
msgross

Quote:
i like those lights, nice and flush, now whered you get them?
flush and lower too.... nice work. Any chance you want to move to Central PA? I need a buddy that can do good body work!
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:17 AM   #574
onetonk5
Cereal Killer

looks cool

Last edited by onetonk5; 12-26-2007 at 08:22 AM.
onetonk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:42 AM   #575
Frizzle Fry

Lowered the badges to match. Nice touch
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote