The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
Mr Pops
Ridin' Dirty

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

I think this might be my favorite thread on the board.
1988 V3500 Crewcab
1988 R2500 Crewcab (Mint, Ex Fire Dept)
1968 Chev Suburban (4x4 conversion) LINK
1970 Chev C20 Suburban (driver/cruiser)LINK
2005 Impala (Incognito vehicle)
2004 Yukon XL Denali (Kid hauler)
1947 Case tractor
Facebook Page(1000's of pictures of GM cars and trucks organized into albums)
YouTube Channel
Mr Pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
RINC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
When we left, we headed past the scenic SRP Navajo Generating Station:

Oh snap ! I know that place !

We load fly ash there

'69 C-20
'04 Jeep TJ
RINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
kikkegek

great stories and photos . Keep m comin!
kikkegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
RatRod68

I will agree with you. Utah is probably one of the most gorgeous places in the United States, maybe even the world. We went to Moab last year and it was absolutely amazing. I recommend to everyone who has a 4wd that likes to do more than look at it, take it to moab and go ride a couple trails. You will not regret it.
D-Ranged Ford Ranger on steroids

Semper Fi
RatRod68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:45 AM   #5
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pops View Post
I think this might be my favorite thread on the board.
Thanks!! I think it might be mine too

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkegek View Post
great stories and photos . Keep m comin!
Thanks!! Will do. We are just past noon on the second day so far here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRod68 View Post
I will agree with you. Utah is probably one of the most gorgeous places in the United States, maybe even the world. We went to Moab last year and it was absolutely amazing. I recommend to everyone who has a 4wd that likes to do more than look at it, take it to moab and go ride a couple trails. You will not regret it.
Hmm, Moab. I think I will have to go there. Lots of good stuff to see in Utah.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
RatRod68

If you have never been, it is a must-see. I can't wait to go back
D-Ranged Ford Ranger on steroids

Semper Fi
RatRod68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
justcuz

You did almost the exact same route we did. We did Prescott to Page, Page to Durango (through Kayenta), Durango to Moab, Moab to Tuba City and finally Tuba City back to Prescott through Sedona. Then saw the rodeo in Prescott on the 2 and back to Caklifornia on the 4th of July for our sons birthday. The indians at the canyon there only drive Chevys. I asked them why and the driver told me long term they hold up the best. Kind of a pleasant surprise because I had 2 other couples with me and they are both die hard Ford guys! Our guide in the canyon took our camera and probably took 100 pictures in there, she knew all the good spots!
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:00 AM   #8
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
You did almost the exact same route we did. We did Prescott to Page, Page to Durango (through Kayenta), Durango to Moab, Moab to Tuba City and finally Tuba City back to Prescott through Sedona. Then saw the rodeo in Prescott on the 2 and back to Caklifornia on the 4th of July for our sons birthday. The indians at the canyon there only drive Chevys. I asked them why and the driver told me long term they hold up the best. Kind of a pleasant surprise because I had 2 other couples with me and they are both die hard Ford guys! Our guide in the canyon took our camera and probably took 100 pictures in there, she knew all the good spots!
It may get a little more familiar. So far I have only posted to about 1400 on the second day. I'm slow at this. It aggravates Larry. I'm ok with that.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Quote:
I'm slow at this. It aggravates Larry. I'm ok with that.
Yeah, what the heck slow poke? I’ve already chewed my nails down to a nub waiting to see your pictures.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #10
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Yeah, what the heck slow poke? I’ve already chewed my nails down to a nub waiting to see your pictures.
Fingernails or toenails??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
He's not the only one.

Here's the deal. Telling us you have tons more pics and that you are barely into it makes the aggravation build.
[MrBurns_voice]Exxcccellent[/MrBurns_voice]

Quote:
If you had said nothing at all about that, we all would have just oooohed and aaaawed and posted dumb things like "That's great!" and " I wish I could do that" etc. and been perfectly content to wait until the next adventure (or just pics of it on a dirt road somewhere) got posted up.

But NOOOOO, you have to keep telling us about all these other awesome pics that you just can't seem to find the time to edit and make all pretty and stuff.
Quality can not be rushed. What the man in the stall said to the man waiting, "Give me time".

Quote:
You're killing us man! Can't you see what your doing? Just stringing us poor meatheads along on your rides in the wilderness a few bytes at a time.
It sounds like you are volunteering to take the pics on the next run and post them up. Sweet!! Let me know when to pick you up at the airport!!

Quote:
Just enough to keep us hooked. You're a dealer, thats what you are. Like the guy selling pot down by the playground.
For your listening enjoyment:

Quote:
Here we are just innocent bystanders that have to live vicariously through other peoples accomplishments and you're playing with our souls man.
Man, that's fantastic. Who would have thought that posting pictures of the building of my truck and the subsequent adventures it takes us on would turn me into The Soul Crusher!! Now, would it make you feel better if I told you that I am slow because I am making some awesome mods to my Suburban?? Really cool stuff?? I am taking alot of pics of those too, but I am so far behind on my trip photos that I can't post them yet?? Feel better yet??

Quote:
OK, I'm all better now.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!!

Oh, BTW, the next couple batches of pics from the trip are so cool and I was going to post them up but I spent so much time dealing with rowdy passengers on our little internet road trip here that I they will have to wait until tomorrow.

Bwahahaha!!!

Last edited by mosesburb; 08-29-2012 at 12:08 AM.
mosesburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #11
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
I'm slow at this. It aggravates Larry.
He's not the only one.

Here's the deal. Telling us you have tons more pics and that you are barely into it makes the aggravation build. If you had said nothing at all about that, we all would have just oooohed and aaaawed and posted dumb things like "That's great!" and " I wish I could do that" etc. and been perfectly content to wait until the next adventure (or just pics of it on a dirt road somewhere) got posted up.

But NOOOOO, you have to keep telling us about all these other awesome pics that you just can't seem to find the time to edit and make all pretty and stuff. You're killing us man! Can't you see what your doing? Just stringing us poor meatheads along on your rides in the wilderness a few bytes at a time. Just enough to keep us hooked. You're a dealer, thats what you are. Like the guy selling pot down by the playground. Here we are just innocent bystanders that have to live vicariously through other peoples accomplishments and you're playing with our souls man.

OK, I'm all better now.

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #12
1985-GMC
Chevy Enthusiast

^ Ut oh, same girl? lol
1989 Burb (D60, 14BFF, 12V, NV4500, NP205, 37" tires in progress)
1985-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #13
justcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985-GMC View Post
^ Ut oh, same girl? lol

Who knows! But she was a real nice lady and took some great pictures.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:17 AM   #14
DirtyLarry

Ooooo....ahhhh....Purdy! Yeah, once again I have to agree with hgs. What else you got?
Old 08-30-2012, 12:29 AM   #15
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
That all you got?
Nope. Not by a long shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Ooooo....ahhhh....Purdy! Yeah, once again I have to agree with hgs. What else you got?
I have parts coming in tomorrow.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:45 AM   #16
vectorit
What?

Very nice!
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #17
justcuz

Nice, although we stuck to the highway, that all looks familiar!

Thanks for the suggestions on the build. I would probably redo a 14 bolt gov lock into a healthy LSD. Its easy to do since the carrier seperates you just remove the centrifigal locking parts and add some frictions and shims. It makes a pretty tight LSD for off-road use. I like the HP 44 and drivers drop t-case for the simple reason that it tucks up the driveline a little higher in the chassis and you can reduce your lift by an inch or more. Actually if you can find a HP44 out of an F150 (they only came in extra cabs) it would be another reason to swap outers. I am not dead set on this but once in a while I can get lucky in wrecking yards around here and find the HP 44's.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:36 AM   #18
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
Very nice!
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
Nice, although we stuck to the highway, that all looks familiar!

Thanks for the suggestions on the build. I would probably redo a 14 bolt gov lock into a healthy LSD. Its easy to do since the carrier seperates you just remove the centrifigal locking parts and add some frictions and shims. It makes a pretty tight LSD for off-road use. I like the HP 44 and drivers drop t-case for the simple reason that it tucks up the driveline a little higher in the chassis and you can reduce your lift by an inch or more. Actually if you can find a HP44 out of an F150 (they only came in extra cabs) it would be another reason to swap outers. I am not dead set on this but once in a while I can get lucky in wrecking yards around here and find the HP 44's.
That is a lot of extra work for not much return in regards to the front diff. You aren't going to be doing rock crawling and whatnot, so I'd stick with the GM low pinion stuff and blow the money elsewhere on the rig.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #19
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Stop it! you are making me want to build a cummins burban and an airstream to tow behind it.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #20
71CumminsBurb

Moses.....AWESOME BUILD! It was one of the things that inspired me to pull the 350 out of my rig and go cummins.

I have a few questions on your set up though...

What did you do for your fuel system?

How did you get the clutch slave cylinder to work with what I assume (yup, i said it) is the stock peddle configuration? I tried a position similar to yours and I cant get the slave actuated enough to cycle the clutch.

If you could do it again, would you keep the 4.10's or go higher? I am going to be running 35'-36's and am not quite sure what to regear to. I am using the Getrag over the NV but from my research the gearing is pretty close.

Lastly: having done the hydro boost conversion...is it really worth it in the long run? I have access to a hydro unit but I've had bad experiences with leaks, burst hoses etc and when something fails in those, the rig is virtually immovable. The donor cummins has a vacuum unit on it that functions just fine. I like simple and reliable...

Thanks for any insights!!!!!
71CumminsBurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #21
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CumminsBurb View Post
Moses.....AWESOME BUILD! It was one of the things that inspired me to pull the 350 out of my rig and go cummins.

I have a few questions on your set up though...

What did you do for your fuel system?
The whole fuel system is covered in this thread, so I am not sure what part of it you are asking about.

Quote:
How did you get the clutch slave cylinder to work with what I assume (yup, i said it) is the stock peddle configuration? I tried a position similar to yours and I cant get the slave actuated enough to cycle the clutch.
I did a bunch of research to figure out the correct mounting point on the pedal and then referenced all of my mounting points off of it.

Quote:
If you could do it again, would you keep the 4.10's or go higher? I am going to be running 35'-36's and am not quite sure what to regear to. I am using the Getrag over the NV but from my research the gearing is pretty close.
I got rid of the 4.10's a couple years ago (it's in the thread here somewhere). I am running 3.73 gears now. With a 33" tire, I think it is perfect, but I can't say about a 35 or 36. If you do the math and find 4.10's with your tire diameter turn about the same as 3.73's with 33's then it will work at least as well as mine which I think is very good.

Quote:
Lastly: having done the hydro boost conversion...is it really worth it in the long run? I have access to a hydro unit but I've had bad experiences with leaks, burst hoses etc and when something fails in those, the rig is virtually immovable. The donor cummins has a vacuum unit on it that functions just fine. I like simple and reliable...
Hydroboost is worth every minute and dollar it took to install. I have never met a properly functioning hydroboost setup that I did not like. Buy a new one or a take-out from a late model truck--never a reman. Use a factory replacement hose or have some made at a hydraulic hose company. The hoses that are sold at almost every parts store are made by a company called Edelmann. They are re-boxed into many different boxes, but they are all of the same crap stock. OE hose from GM or Mopar are quality, as are custom hoses from the hydraulic hose joints, but the other is junk out of the box. You will find that unless you set your motor very high, you will not have room for two vacuum pods, only one--the lower one. The one that hangs on the side will hit the frame rail. This leaves a situation of only having half of the vac available. If either of these are bad, one NEW (not rebuilt--seeing a pattern yet??) cost more than a hydroboost unit--seriously. I'm not sure I would put a vacuum booster on anything I am building anymore--even a passenger car. I like hydroboost.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:17 AM   #22
71CumminsBurb

Quote:
The whole fuel system is covered in this thread, so I am not sure what part of it you are asking about.

Ive been through the thread a bunch of times but I guess I missed it. I did just find the lift pump you swapped but still cant find the rest of the system from there back...

I did a bunch of research to figure out the correct mounting point on the pedal and then referenced all of my mounting points off of it.

Would you mind sharing a pic or two? Mine is mounted almost identically as yours, albeit slightly right towards the fender. MAybe the save unit Im using got damaged when I pulled it from the donor truck ...?

I got rid of the 4.10's a couple years ago (it's in the thread here somewhere). I am running 3.73 gears now. With a 33" tire, I think it is perfect, but I can't say about a 35 or 36. If you do the math and find 4.10's with your tire diameter turn about the same as 3.73's with 33's then it will work at least as well as mine which I think is very good.

I remember reading about the van rear end...for whatever reason i was thinking it was 4.10's....

Hydroboost is worth every minute and dollar it took to install. I have never met a properly functioning hydroboost setup that I did not like. Buy a new one or a take-out from a late model truck--never a reman. Use a factory replacement hose or have some made at a hydraulic hose company. The hoses that are sold at almost every parts store are made by a company called Edelmann. They are re-boxed into many different boxes, but they are all of the same crap stock. OE hose from GM or Mopar are quality, as are custom hoses from the hydraulic hose joints, but the other is junk out of the box. You will find that unless you set your motor very high, you will not have room for two vacuum pods, only one--the lower one. The one that hangs on the side will hit the frame rail. This leaves a situation of only having half of the vac available. If either of these are bad, one NEW (not rebuilt--seeing a pattern yet??) cost more than a hydroboost unit--seriously. I'm not sure I would put a vacuum booster on anything I am building anymore--even a passenger car. I like hydroboost.
I've got room for the double vacuum unit. I know this because its mounted on the motor, which is in the truck already. I think i may forgo the work of swapping it for now, mostly for the sake of getting this thing on the road sooner rather than later. The hydroboost unit I have is in a 72 blazer, mounted to a 350 sb, so some adaption will be required to go from the cummins to the gm unit.

My biggest issue is that I am 3 hrs from the closest autoparts store so I cant just run out and grab a part or run to the nearest machine shop to have something made....sure makes it interesting though!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:29 AM   #23
mosesburb
I had a V-8

How did you clear the frame with the vertical vac pump?? Motor not centered or mounted much higher that I did mine?? It will work. Obviously Dodge did it for the masses, but I don't like it. As far as adapting hydroboost, the only thing that needs to be dealt with is the second return line. Add another nipple to the reservoir or put a "T" in the existing return line. The pump on your Cummins (provided it is out of a Dodge) is a Saginaw (GM) pump, so it will work as designed with hydroboost.

Keep looking on the fuel system. I posted about the pump, the tank, even the lines I bent up for it.

I will have to do some looking for the pics on the clutch. I did a whole writeup on it and something happened and the post didn't take and got lost in the bowels of the internet and I never went through and re-did it.

The van rear axle was purchased for two reasons. One was it was van width, second was it had 3.73's.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:04 AM   #24
71CumminsBurb

Uh..now I m second guessing what I have as far as vacuum pumps go...mine isnt vertical. Its about 8-10" long (hehe) but is horizontal. Ill post a pic tomorrow before work...

The fuel system is fairly simple so I'm sure my plan will work. I plan on running a large fuel filter and separator then a electric fuel pump to a regulator to step it down to a steady and consistent pressure before the lift pump. I chose to do this because I kept reading stories of the lift pumps not supplying enough fuel under load or extreme situations thus causing running issues. Maybe I'm rethinking the wheel here but this is what a lot of the cummins guys are doing.

Ive got the stock 3/4 ton axles under the truck now with 4.10's in them. I bought what was supposed to be a mild wheeler with x-over steering, selectable lockers, NP205 splitter kit, hydroboost, brand new 40 gallon fuel tank, dana 60 front and ff14 rear axles and 4.10 gears. I thought I had won the lottery when I found this rig because it had a lot of hat I wanted/ needed for my burb......

WRONG-the dana 60-ff14 ended up being a dana 60 & dana 70 dually set up with 4.56's and lincoln locked axles. At least the axles had been upgraded to disks and converted to single wheel (via hummer wheels and a different hub assembly up front), but still a large expense to re-gear and replace carriers depending on how it was welded.

My biggest mistake was having my father in law check it out for me...i told him my plans but there was a huge disconnect because what showed up at my house was a complete rock rig/ basketcase.

Anyway, I figured I would try the 4.10's in the stock axles and re-gear the d60-d70 as I see fit afterwards.

Pics on the slave mounted to the pedal would be AWESOME!!! Im kind of stuck on that right now....

Last edited by 71CumminsBurb; 09-03-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:50 AM   #25
DirtyLarry

Dude, quit with the chit chat and on with the pictures already! Geesh! Where’d dem danm pics!?