The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
pimpston65

Re: What did you do to your truck today part II.

made it back home to Mi. with my 292. yeah now the disassembly and inspection of the engine, and parts list to buy starts, oh yeah!!!
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
jayoldschool

Rear suspension done. Rebuilt driveshaft installed. Exhaust installed front to back, used pipes, new hangers, $20 muffler that fits perfect. Started on a couple floor patches. Tomorrow I'll finish the floor, and install gas tank, seats, belts. Running by the end of the week

Pics tomorrow.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #3
jb9281

Finished bed wood. Now I need to mount the bed on the truck
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb9281 View Post
Finished bed wood. Now I need to mount the bed on the truck
that wood is as slick as a bowling alley, very nice!!!
Old 06-03-2014, 01:12 AM   #5
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpston65 View Post
Indeed.

You guys really do set the bar high.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #6
Jeff La

Quote:
Break out the ball and pins You did a fantastic job
Old 06-03-2014, 01:47 PM   #7
pimpston65

performed surgery today to see if any internal organs need to worked on!!!
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2014, 05:05 AM   #8
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

That is incredibly beautiful! I can hear the sound of the pins falling now!
Old 06-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
PanelFan

got the dash sanded an some primer sprayed on
Old 06-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #10
pimpston65

got bored so im taking the crank and rods to get ck'd. the PO said it had a spun bearing so off to the shop i go!!!
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2014, 04:45 PM   #11
Ronw435

Well got the frame hosed off with the power washer. Came out pretty good. Will have to do some more brushing but a lot better than when I brought it home. I should get at least 2-3 more mpg's with all the dirt and oil gunk that came off it.......
Here are some pics.
I'm not sure but the last picture I believe does not show the proper attachment of the emergency brake spring......................

Does anyone have a picture of what is supposed to be there holding the spring?

Thanks
Ron
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #12
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronw435 View Post
Well got the frame hosed off with the power washer. Came out pretty good. Will have to do some more brushing but a lot better than when I brought it home. I should get at least 2-3 more mpg's with all the dirt and oil gunk that came off it.......
Here are some pics.
I'm not sure but the last picture I believe does not show the proper attachment of the emergency brake spring......................

Does anyone have a picture of what is supposed to be there holding the spring?

Thanks
Ron
i dont have a picture, but i know another rod the same diameter as the spring is in place of the wire.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:53 PM   #13
jb9281

Got the bed put on the truck today. What do you guys think?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #14
jb9281

Forgot to upload picture .
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #15
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Very nice indeed!
Old 06-03-2014, 10:58 PM   #16
mattbert56

drove the truck to work again for the second week in a row since i finished the restoration. i swear, the more i drive these trucks the more i love them.especially mine and picked up a shipment of clay for work with the truck today also.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #17
earl84

Smile Re: What did you do to your truck today part II.

Been a very busy last week or so. Got the rear axle swapped out to a 14 bolt (thanks Captainfab for the perches), relocated the rear shocks, fabbed up a panhard bar and mount, and installed rear bags. Sorry for the crappy airbag pic, but you know what they look like. Put all the fluids in, fixed a couple leaking areas. Got all these ideas from others on this forum. Today hopefully stab the distributor and fire up the 454!!
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2014, 12:27 AM   #18
donthekawguy

I finally got my control arms back from powder coating. I forgot to tell them to mask off the threads and ball joint holes so I spent a couple of hours cleaning them up. Got the shafts in and took the lowers in to have the ball joints installed. One of the holes was so big the ball joint just slid in and had extra room. I decided not to weld it in. I found a used ont at the local wrecking yard and also a set of 5x5 wheels with ok tires for $30. Got the new to me lca stripped and ready to go to the coater. Of course I made sure the ball joint hole was tight. Got the uppers ready to put in. I just need to stop by Captfabs shop and pick up a steering box mount.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #19
Grizz1963

Ordered a complete new wiring loom for the truck tonight.

I have gone with EZ as Martin has gone that route, and he will be overseeing my rewiring, so if he has done one, a second one should be easier.

The EZ 21 wire/18 fuse kit was £144.00 delivered, and the Rebel kit, locally sourced is £159.00 so price of EZ is better, but I have also not heard one complaint yet.

I did order my EZ Wiring loom today, and less than an hour later got the message it had been dispatched.

Tonight was also the monthly hot rod and classic car gathering at Chatham dockside.

Loads of cars and a couple of quirky bits.

I was contacted last week by a member on Rods n Sods with a single electric cutout and pipe to sell.

So after looking at it and testing the close off valve, I bought it.

Now the trick will be to find or build another one.

I did not take many photos tonight, but there was one very quirky attendee which I hope some of you will like.

This Citroen was one of about 100 build for over night, transcontinental newspaper deliveries. Most were driven into the ground or crashed as drivers fell asleep.

However the 1964 Piper Comanche plane that had been converted into a small sleeping caravan was what got my attention.

Table and stools

Sleeping space.

Forward dash area.

Self contained galley.

Now I just need to find someone who can cut some ally on a CNC machine for me to the same spec as the one cutout valve.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #20
Grizz1963

I had forgotten about my MOT expiring this month, so when Nicola reminded me it was panic stations for a while.

Last weekend Martin came over and sorted out the side lights wiring etc.

This lead to me ordering in a full replacement wiring harness from the USA. £145.00 well spent I think.

So today I followed Martin who had his Mercedes booked in for MOT to a testing station, after which we were going to a spares warehouse.

Happy to say the truck passed its test (not that I had any concerns)

The tester commented that he thought it was a lovely bit of kit and he looked forward to testing it again once restored.

The station operates on a 1st come first served basis, so we were there by 08.10 for an 09.00 spot.

CHEEKY MONKEY, MARTIN suggested I just weigh in the truck for scrap as we were next to a scrapyard.

Up on the ramps and on with business.

After the test we went spares shopping, and I bought some long reach 1/2 inch sockets, a stumpy ratchet with 1/4 and 1/2 inch drive.

Then we went to Dartford to get some timber, taking a shortcut over the Woolwich Ferry. Only one ferry running, meant we had a 20 minute wait, but a chance to chat about the plan for the bits of equipment I would be building later.

Thames river in the background.

After the DIY shop, I came home with 12 meters of 6X2 inch lumber, and Martin went home to disconnect everything on the truck and remove his windscreen etc.

The design is a direct copy of a picture of one built by Pimpston65 in Corktown Misouri.

I came home to build a single handed cab lifter attachment to fit to the end of a 3 ton engine hoist which will be used tomorrow, and later possibly on my cab as well, If I do fool myself into removing my cab.

This actually fits just outside the door rubber ridges, stopping the cab from slipping off when you lift it.

This is the upside down view, imagine the diagonal timber is the boom of the engine hoist.

While I was at it, I also prepped all the wood for the cab trolley, onto which the cab will be mounted, I will also make up, or we may weld another 500mm raising table so that one can get to work on the sills.

This lot gets bolted together with 10mm coach screws. And then the wheels are mounted underneath.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Only problem is that Marin keeps on putting Carp ideas in my head, which creates more work for me.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #21
Davewltn

New Edelbrock intake, new Holly carb, new summit racing distributor and Taylor wires. My new headers will be in next week!
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #22
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz1963 View Post
I had forgotten about my MOT expiring this month, so when Nicola reminded me it was panic stations for a while.

Last weekend Martin came over and sorted out the side lights wiring etc.

This lead to me ordering in a full replacement wiring harness from the USA. £145.00 well spent I think.

So today I followed Martin who had his Mercedes booked in for MOT to a testing station, after which we were going to a spares warehouse.

Happy to say the truck passed its test (not that I had any concerns)

The tester commented that he thought it was a lovely bit of kit and he looked forward to testing it again once restored.

The station operates on a 1st come first served basis, so we were there by 08.10 for an 09.00 spot.

CHEEKY MONKEY, MARTIN suggested I just weigh in the truck for scrap as we were next to a scrapyard.

Up on the ramps and on with business.

After the test we went spares shopping, and I bought some long reach 1/2 inch sockets, a stumpy ratchet with 1/4 and 1/2 inch drive.

Then we went to Dartford to get some timber, taking a shortcut over the Woolwich Ferry. Only one ferry running, meant we had a 20 minute wait, but a chance to chat about the plan for the bits of equipment I would be building later.

Thames river in the background.

After the DIY shop, I came home with 12 meters of 6X2 inch lumber, and Martin went home to disconnect everything on the truck and remove his windscreen etc.

The design is a direct copy of a picture of one built by Pimpston65 in Corktown Misouri.

I came home to build a single handed cab lifter attachment to fit to the end of a 3 ton engine hoist which will be used tomorrow, and later possibly on my cab as well, If I do fool myself into removing my cab.

This actually fits just outside the door rubber ridges, stopping the cab from slipping off when you lift it.

This is the upside down view, imagine the diagonal timber is the boom of the engine hoist.

While I was at it, I also prepped all the wood for the cab trolley, onto which the cab will be mounted, I will also make up, or we may weld another 500mm raising table so that one can get to work on the sills.

This lot gets bolted together with 10mm coach screws. And then the wheels are mounted underneath.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Only problem is that Marin keeps on putting Carp ideas in my head, which creates more work for me.
make sure you use a metal square tube for the extension piece, i bought a 2x2" piece 12" long and drill a hole at the top and used the same bolt thats used to hold the lift hook on the hoist
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #23
Grizz1963

Today was a great day for me.

I spent about 5 hours over at mate Martins place today.

We removed his cab, which has set me thinking that I should maybe remove mine as well, to get better access to the underside of the chassis.

On removing the cab, he found a lot more rust, terrible historic patches an a load of sand inside the chassis outriggers.

I will post up the pics to tell the story of getting the "special tool" in and moving the cab away.

Final inspection before removing the last two chassis mounting bolts.

One broke off, despite all preparation.

Lifting jig fitted to three ton hoist.

AND THIS IS HOW IT WAS DONE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxcu...lt8TvG8KEwT5Kg

IMPRESSIVE STUFF, AND RESULT.

Next up we parked the cab out the way, the trolley needs another 24 inches of height, which will happen later.

Farmer Brown........

Lastly Martin removed the welded on front bumper and the truck was put back into its tight spot.

That was it for this weekend.

As we go on working together, I am learning more and more.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #24
pimpston65

hey Grizz1963 love that yellow seat cover, u should send it to me!!! glad you have a mate to help with things. now my cab hasnt been on the frame since 98'. so i hope yours doesnt take as long. if you thought it was fun taking it off the frame, bet you wet your nickers when its time to put it back on... keep up the good work.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:09 AM   #25
mjh1965

Quote:
hey Grizz1963 love that yellow seat cover, u should send it to me!!! glad you have a mate to help with things. now my cab hasnt been on the frame since 98'. so i hope yours doesnt take as long. if you thought it was fun taking it off the frame, bet you wet your nickers when its time to put it back on... keep up the good work.
Hi pimpstone it's actually my truck with the yellow seat cover the previous owner loved yellow . The chassis and the axel and dash were yellow as well .As for cab off if it goes on as easy as the removal I will be happy
Martin

My build thread. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611614
Closed Thread