The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #576
OrrieG

Re: Lurker OrrieG Progress Pics

Thanks guys. GR, the comment was mine, I have a local guy that keeps trying to sell me on a 59 slammed GMC as a future project. But I need to get the 64 Chevelle taken care of then I'll decide. Leaning toward a 50ish Willys Wagon with a woody theme. First car I really drove a lot with my Grandmother on fishing and camping trips. I was driving very early (like sixth grade) on back roads, turned out it was my Dad's idea so that if my Grandmother had a heart attack out in the boonies I could get her, or at least myself, back to town ok. My wife has a picture of her mother or aunt driving a grain truck in the Kansas fields about the same age (in the late 1930's). They would put it in granny gear and use the hand throttle to match the speed of the harvester.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #577
OrrieG

Welded up the bed notch and tailgate rectangular hole that was used for the chains.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #578
OrrieG

Also installed the CP hidden latches. They are designed for a step side, I will need to fab an extension inside the bed upright for the latch. It will be easy the old chain bracket holes are still there, piece of flat stock and some shims and I will be good. Glad I did not weld them up, I was just going to put in some bolts anyway.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #579
sgtusmc

Looks good. Let me know if you need help welding the tailgate shut. I'll send my wife over...haha
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=sgtusmc
U.S. Marines - Certified Counselors to the 72 Virgins Dating Club.
sgtusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:40 AM   #580
Kim57

That came out real nice.
Kim
Old 11-28-2011, 01:01 AM   #581
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtusmc View Post
Looks good. Let me know if you need help welding the tailgate shut. I'll send my wife over...haha
I'm too old to jump over it if it's welded shut. By the time I get it done I might need a drop down step like the really old people use on their RV's!
Old 12-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #582
OrrieG

A member asked what radiator hoses I used. The upper is a Gates 20416, I had to shorten the end that goes on the radiator. The lower is a Gates 20584, I had to shorten the radiator end on it too. The applications are not GM, I took in a bent wire and diameters. I got them at Reilys.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #583
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
A member asked what radiator hoses I used. The upper is a Gates 20416, I had to shorten the end that goes on the radiator. The lower is a Gates 20584, I had to shorten the radiator end on it too. The applications are not GM, I took in a bent wire and diameters. I got them at Reilys.
Thanks Orrie, this information couldn't have come at a better time. Just yesterday I removed the flexible hoses from my truck and wondered if there was a better looking replacement available.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #584
Nordic

Orrie.. just a quick couple of pic's.. you mention a Willys wagon. here are a few pic's of one I finished and sold about two years ago just thought you might like them.
Attached Images

Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #585
bajabob

Orrieg
Looks like things are coming along nicely.... Any idea on ETC ???
bajabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #586
bajabob

double posting..... wth ???

Orrieg
Looks like things are coming along nicely.... Any idea on ETC ???

Last edited by bajabob; 12-04-2011 at 10:44 PM. Reason: double posting
bajabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #587
Berg

I was on the Offroad Design website and noticedthey have a twin stick kit for the NP203. I don't know what your current configuration is but I saw on the beginning of your build that you were using this case so I figured I'd share the info just in case you were interested in either getting a kit or duplicating it on your rig. The following is taken from the www.offroaddesign.com website:

NP203 twin stick shifters: $185

That's right, we can twin stick the 203! You get rid of the trouble prone and typically worn out factory shifter box and replace it with 2 levers for much more positive gear selection. One lever will shift the case through Hi-N-Lo and the other will control the differential lock, or on cases converted to part time, the other lever will control 2WD-4WD. This shifter can also be converted to a Doubler shifter with a simple linkage change. Available for GM, Ford and Dodge.

Here is a photo of the GM203 twin:
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #588
Berg

It would be cool if you could fab up some sort of linkage to release both tailgate latches with one handle. Almost like the twist handles or lever action handles we got on our firetrucks to mount on the inside of the tailgate to pull the tabs open. I'm not quite sure how someone would go about fabbing up something like that on a gate without much of an inner structure to hold the guts though... It would have to be one hell of a strong, small handle.
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #589
OrrieG

Berg - thanks for the comments, I converted my own to twin stick here is a link to the detailed process, much less than $185. Took about 3 hours including head scratching and photos, only cost was a piece of flat bar I had laying around. here are some photos to wet your appitite!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=360447

On the tailgate, I had a lever and latch set up from a later model I was going to mount on the inside, but decided to go with the pulls to keep it simple. Right now I am focusing on getting it on the road, I can always change it later if it turns out to be a problem or not strong enough for daily use. I have an extra tailgate I am keeping.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #590
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Man OrrieG you have been getting things done. I need to get busy, thanks for making me feel like a slacker.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #591
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Orrie.. just a quick couple of pic's.. you mention a Willys wagon. here are a few pic's of one I finished and sold about two years ago just thought you might like them.
Looks like Grandmas, except her's was 2wd and no wood. Same dark brown color. My dad had a early 50's 4wd he painted a metallic emerald green in the mid 50's. I still have the sweeping "4 wheel drive" stencil he made from the original. I will see if I can find any photos of grandmas, I don't remember any off hand.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #592
Green 1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Man OrrieG you have been getting things done. I need to get busy, thanks for making me feel like a slacker.
Indeed, he is the man. Lots of great ideas on this build, keep em coming!!!
Old 12-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #593
OrrieG

Thanks Green and Bam, seems like I am just slogging along. Bam I especially appreciate your comment, coming from a craftsman like yourself. Now get back out to the garage.....8^))
Old 12-06-2011, 10:05 PM   #594
beanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Also installed the CP hidden latches. They are designed for a step side, I will need to fab an extension inside the bed upright for the latch. It will be easy the old chain bracket holes are still there, piece of flat stock and some shims and I will be good. Glad I did not weld them up, I was just going to put in some bolts anyway.
I sent you a PM
beanyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #595
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

what did you change to fit the wider springs? Im currently in a debate between using the stock 55 frame or using a 73-87 style frame with body mount brackets that bolt right to the 73-87 frame. Just wondering if you had any post swap thats that might help influence my decision. I will probably be doing a 4" lift, crossover steering, rear mounted blazer tank, and some form of efi.

Also wondering your thoughts on the frame mounted brakes, seeing as you kept them Ill assume there is no problem having them there. I dont plan on burying this truck in the mud, but I do like going on trails. If I do go that route, ill probably build some sort of shield for them. My axles will likely end up being 3/4 tons with the rear 14b ff converted to discs.

http://www.e-zchassisswaps.com/1955.htm

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:31 AM   #596
OrrieG

I used the stock 59 1/2 ton springs, they bolted up to the 74 K10 axles ok. 73-85 1/2 and 3/4 ton GM trucks have the same spring width. I drove it as a DD and off road for 15 years without any problems. In 59 the 3/4 ton trucks had thicker frame metal and was a little wider section. If you are not concerned with load capacity and just want the 3/4 ton axles it should not be a problem.

If you mean the frame mounted brake lines, again I ran the same basic configuration as shown in my thread, just upgraded to braided SS lines this time. I've been thru some pretty knarly stuff (poor desert trails, logging roads, old jeep trails, forded streams) and never had a problem with things catching. If you notice everything is tucked up above the bottom frame except for the transfer case and drive lines of course. The 203 is cast iron and sits much higher that the axle center housings, I use them a as gauge for clearance issues. And carry a high lift jack in case I get in a bind.

I would look at some the the build threads that used 73-87 frames for TF, even the 2wd. It is much more than the body brackets. The biggest is that the frame is wider and runs thru the TF step area, or gets lifted really high. I believe the bed floor needs lifted to to clean the rise over the rear axles. And you have to deal with the radiator support/front clip and front bumper mounting. Also remember that the axle width can push the tires out side of the fenders. I run skinny tires on stock steel rims so its not an issue with mine.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #597
_Ogre

orrieg
just finished your build thread, nice work. very nice.

if your still looking at bed bolt kits, check out boltdepot.com
i bought all stainless, boxes of 100 for less than the truck shops wanted for 68 steel bolts.

i bought my 59 panel in 76, too bad i didn't keep it up like you kept yours up

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #598
OrrieG

Thanks for the tip. I may be going with stainless, my SO offered some good input on her vision of the bed and reminded me that I've put in to much work to start going cheeeeep now. Only reason its in as good of shape as it is, is because it was a good AZ truck to start with and I drove it daily, trying to keep up with the little rust issues as I went. When I did tear it down and it sat, it was inside the garage, in our high desert climate.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #599
gmjim4x4

I am new on this forum and have been looking around for someone who is doing something similier to my build. I have a 57 chevy 3100 that i am changing to 4x4 with 1979 dana 44 front, 12 bolt corporate, NP 205 and SM 465. I have a similier power steering setup as you installed. I know that you showed the power steering 3 or 4 years ago, but I am trying to figure out how to stop that travel from going to far when you turn right and stop it from coming up and rubbing the tire on the turning arm. You mentioned a bolt to stop the travel. Do you have some pics of where this is on the power steering or what you fabricated? You have done some awesome work on your 58. Congratulations! Any help would be appreciated. Jim
gmjim4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #600
1985-GMC
Chevy Enthusiast

I didn't go back through to find it but this is probably what your looking for.

1989 Burb (D60, 14BFF, 12V, NV4500, NP205, 37" tires in progress)
1985-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote