The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #601
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: Rebuild on a shoestring.....continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
How long do you expect it to be in paint jail? Good luck.
I'll be working with the painter. Shooting for around two weeks He has seen/worked on the truck and thinks we'll have no issues with that...I remember spending weeks sanding my blazer but I'm also not as experienced as he is...
Old 05-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #602
JRBECK64

Gotta tell you that Im really amazed at the challenges you East Coast Guys go through dealing with rust and corrosion issues. Im thinking im pretty lucky with the projects I have tackled here on the West Coast. Looks like your project is really moving along and I cant wait to see the Paint on it. Your right you cant go wrong with red... Your doing a great job and I look forward to more pics of it..

JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:05 AM   #603
VA72C10
VA72C10

Thanks! Got a good amount done this afternoon/evening. Got the old 2 into 1 exhaust off. It was held on with wire in a few spots and used the corrugated style pipe in the rear....planning true duals on this one...

Then I cleaned up the firewall a bit by removing some extra wiring some PO had installed and started removing things to prep for paint.

Then I started cleaning the engine bay and front clip. I chiseled off the dirt off the upper a-arms and scraped off years of dirt/grease. As I've found in the past all that dirt/grease is a good thing as it seems to protect the parts beneath....the rubber boots look good on the ball joints/tie rods and the brake lines look like new after power washing. The power wash was the second step. Then some more scraping and power washing. After blowing off the water then letting it dry I sprayed gunk engine cleaner and am letting that sit overnight. Will power wash one final time tomorrow morning and possibly paint in the evening if the weather holds and it dries out...
Old 05-24-2012, 02:34 AM   #604
VA72C10
VA72C10

Pics from today

Where I started then after chiseling. After power washing and overall just before spraying with gunk.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2012, 03:02 AM   #605
VA72C10
VA72C10

One thing I did which will end up being a good solution is I unbolted the steering box without removing it entirely... I am going to convert to power steering...but at this point since it's going to paint I am going to simply spray the frame with the steering box loose...then will bolt it back up for the trip to the body shop and to make it easier to move around the body shop. Keeping the stock wheel/column in also since I don't care if that gets overspray on it. That way once the paint is finished I can install the new column and wheel and the power steering gearbox all at once...
Old 05-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #606
FrankieD

If you can find this stuff is a wonder cleaner it will actually melt off any rattle can paint slightly corrosive but man does it clean. It will save you a lot of time and no oils left over like Gunk. On line they say Home Depot sells it.
Attached Images

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #607
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Glad to see something happening with this one. Good luck.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:19 AM   #608
VA72C10
VA72C10

Thanks guys. The gunk worked pretty well and seems to have washed off with the pressure washer. Still had some areas I found since I did the last spraying at night. And of course the suspension is all together. If this was a show truck it would come completely apart but the steering components are good on this so it will be painted together (mostly). Busy day but did the final power wash then some more scraping, wire wheeling, and then got the great idea to remove the sway bar. Man I need a large compressor in my garage. Hand tools stink you really get spoiled using them. Thinking now I might wait till it gets to the body shop so I can use their air tools. Need to get an air chisel for the manual tranny crossmember anyways. Then it'll be easier to get the sway bar off. I have new rubbers for it and plan to paint it a contrasting color to show it off and add a little detail when looking under. Probably do that and the panhard bar silver as well as the springs possibly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2012, 01:25 AM   #609
VA72C10
VA72C10

Picked up the intake gaskets today and have a fuel pump. Also got my pulleys and brackets (ordered a blasted and painted set from livrat and will sell my setup later. Have to save time when I can and at 100 shipped for the pulley and bracket setup complete I couldn't pass it up. Here is the only pic from the evening. Doesn't look like much but once primered and painted it will look nice!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #610
VA72C10
VA72C10

I wish I had a closeup of the spindles and arms. It's an amazing difference. It's satisfying work but dirty planning the hammered paint on the frame then have the body shop spray semi gloss black on the core support, inners, and main firewall. Mainly writing all this to put my thoughts down so I don't forget
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2012, 01:42 AM   #611
David67

can't wait to see it painted! I like to say when I'm going to do things so that I actually feel obligated to do them

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015

IG: david_r67
David67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:08 AM   #612
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by David67 View Post
can't wait to see it painted! I like to say when I'm going to do things so that I actually feel obligated to do them
Me either I will have to be patient though...going to be next weekend most likely...

That's another good reason to put things on here...to have guys motivate me to get them done or give me options if something I plan doesn't make sense...
Old 05-25-2012, 02:10 AM   #613
David67

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Me either I will have to be patient though...going to be next weekend most likely...

That's another good reason to put things on here...to have guys motivate me to get them done or give me options if something I plan doesn't make sense...
Exactly! So next weekend it is

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015

IG: david_r67
David67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #614
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I can't believe you don't have an air compressor yet. It is a must have for anyone doing this much work on trucks. A typical 60 gallon single stage 2 cylinder compressor does not cost that much and will do pretty much anything you need for a home shop. Its what I have and I can sandblast with a little patience and it will provide plenty of air for any of my tools. Fathers Day is coming up, lots of sales.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #615
watahyahknow

buy the little better airtools , i skimped on mine and got thin airline to boot , the airchissel gut out totally after 30 minutes of use and the airwrench doesnt have the torq needed
i need to buy better or get one of those nifty batterypowered ones

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #616
67cheby
67cheby

frame looks CLEAN !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #617
fakerwade

I'm starting to catch up on your build (too). Your frame looks great, looks like a lot of work. I still have to do mine. Keep up the good work!!
Build thread "TANGERINE" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498570

Board Members Met: bigblock68, ol_skool_chevy ,68TT,atvpro
fakerwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #618
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
I can't believe you don't have an air compressor yet. It is a must have for anyone doing this much work on trucks. A typical 60 gallon single stage 2 cylinder compressor does not cost that much and will do pretty much anything you need for a home shop. Its what I have and I can sandblast with a little patience and it will provide plenty of air for any of my tools. Fathers Day is coming up, lots of sales.
My first few builds were at another guys garage who had everything. This one I have everything when I have it at the body shop. The issue is room and garage location right now. No room at all for a big compressor and the garage is under our bedrooms and I have neighbors all around. So no using it at night anyways which is mainly when I'm able to work on it. I will have the truck towed to the body shop next week and be able to use the air tools then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
buy the little better airtools , i skimped on mine and got thin airline to boot , the airchissel gut out totally after 30 minutes of use and the airwrench doesnt have the torq needed
i need to buy better or get one of those nifty batterypowered ones
If I find a deal on a battery powered set I'm going to get them. Been looking. I've used a cheap chisel on rivets before and it isn't any fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
frame looks CLEAN !
Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #619
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakerwade View Post
I'm starting to catch up on your build (too). Your frame looks great, looks like a lot of work. I still have to do mine. Keep up the good work!!
It's a lot easier if you disassemble everything. I have spent almost as much time on this front clip as I did on my complete frame for my 70 not counting painting. Still have to pressure wash and wire wheel the rest of this frame too. Getting to all the nooks/crannies is the issue with it all together.

But since this truck has new drum brakes and the original suspension components are in good shape and I'm not lowering it...there is no need to tear it apart and risk tearing ball joint boots/etc. It will look nice when done and make a great driver/weekend cruiser for the next owner.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #620
VA72C10
VA72C10

The next truck I will build once this one is done is starting from a bare swb frame. Hoing to be able to afford to blast that frame although it is a lot cleaner than this one is already. The front suspension is all new and has been coated in por15 so a coat of paint on that and the trailing arms and I will be bolting together a clean frame. Definitely the way to go!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #621
67c10rustbuket

Good job on the frame clean up, I will be knee deep in that goo pretty soon as well. Nice to see some progress again on this.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #622
FrankieD

Pressure washing all that gook off is nasty, a cheep rain suit comes in real handy especially if you are going to do the under side. Here is my before and after with POR 15 & top coated with Rustolem Semi Gloss or satin don't remember which but it came out pretty good

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #623
watahyahknow

looks like new

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #624
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieD View Post
Pressure washing all that gook off is nasty, a cheep rain suit comes in real handy especially if you are going to do the under side. Here is my before and after with POR 15 & top coated with Rustolem Semi Gloss or satin don't remember which but it came out pretty good

Nice, that's the plan for mine as well...
Old 05-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #625
CC69Rat

Looking good buddy ! I need to clean up the GMC like that when the bed comes off.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote