The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #1
Grizz1963

Re: What did you do to your truck today part II.

Collecting parts, learning along with Martin on his truck and actually having a spare pair of hands is all part of this build.

The caravan/shed has been baptized by a South African friend as "THE KENNEL" and even if it becomes a camping caravan later, it will be known as The Kennel.

As usual I already have the next two incarnations in mind.

Once the truck is completed, the plan today is to have Nicola turn the inside into a cool little weekend away space.

The exterior may well end up in some mad NASCAR livery........ Think Sinclair Oil Corporation, or other similar with Red as a major component. I like the idea of having a Dinosaur on the rear, with its head poking around to the side of the door.

Today I spent about 5 hours washing the interior surfaces, undersides, topsides etc by hand with a rag and loads of Cillit Bang! About 6 buckets of water etc. I also cleaned the Porta Potty and other items that were in it when I got it. The awning and poles were wiped down and packed away under the mattress-less bunks.

The caravan was really only good for a bonfire, and to be honest, anyone who kept his dog in that thing deserved to be punched in the face.

After the interior, I spent a few more hours with a pressure cleaner, getting the roof, sides etc cleaned up.

Imagine a Dinosaur looking around the corner.

After that I parked it up outside the garage in front of the woodwork shed.

BEST NEWS AT LUNCH TIME TODAY........

My E-Z Wiring complete replacement loom arrived from America.

This is probably one of the most sensible lumps of money I will throw at the truck, you do not spend all the time and money on getting an old car sorted, and then have it catch fire and burn out due to faulty wiring, a lot of what my truck has.

Looking forward to bootfairs in the morning.

May also put a coat of good quality paint on the interior of the caravan, as I scrubbed a lot of the print from the ply walls inside.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
Chevy Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz1963 View Post
Collecting parts, learning along with Martin on his truck and actually having a spare pair of hands is all part of this build.

The caravan/shed has been baptized by a South African friend as "THE KENNEL" and even if it becomes a camping caravan later, it will be known as The Kennel.

As usual I already have the next two incarnations in mind.

Once the truck is completed, the plan today is to have Nicola turn the inside into a cool little weekend away space.

The exterior may well end up in some mad NASCAR livery........ Think Sinclair Oil Corporation, or other similar with Red as a major component. I like the idea of having a Dinosaur on the rear, with its head poking around to the side of the door.

Today I spent about 5 hours washing the interior surfaces, undersides, topsides etc by hand with a rag and loads of Cillit Bang! About 6 buckets of water etc. I also cleaned the Porta Potty and other items that were in it when I got it. The awning and poles were wiped down and packed away under the mattress-less bunks.

The caravan was really only good for a bonfire, and to be honest, anyone who kept his dog in that thing deserved to be punched in the face.

After the interior, I spent a few more hours with a pressure cleaner, getting the roof, sides etc cleaned up.

Imagine a Dinosaur looking around the corner.

After that I parked it up outside the garage in front of the woodwork shed.

BEST NEWS AT LUNCH TIME TODAY........

My E-Z Wiring complete replacement loom arrived from America.

This is probably one of the most sensible lumps of money I will throw at the truck, you do not spend all the time and money on getting an old car sorted, and then have it catch fire and burn out due to faulty wiring, a lot of what my truck has.

Looking forward to bootfairs in the morning.

May also put a coat of good quality paint on the interior of the caravan, as I scrubbed a lot of the print from the ply walls inside.
I put the EZ Wiring harness in my truck. Had a friend of mine do some of it as I was really busy and it was making my head hurt looking at the wires. All in all a pretty good harness and it is working fine. The power window wire is hot all the time so the windows work without the key on, if you have power windows that is.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Old 06-14-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Got me some "Engine Formula" today....gonna put that lube in the oil an see if it'll help the ol engine a little...also went to a car show today.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
Grizz1963

Used it as a truck again.

This morning early, before going off to work, I popped into the scrap yard to check out the chassis and wagon Mickey had told me about.

I guess it looked a bit weird, me arriving in a suit, and him in a bright green health and safety suit.

I approved of the chassis and wagon.

Tonight after work, I went home and grabbed the truck and went down to fetch my treasures.

Can you say Junk Yard Dog ??

Loaded, with Mickey standing by.

Then off to drop the wagon at Martins place as he will be using the wagon for his chassis.

Once at Martins we removed the sides and he too it in, he had been at home today, dismantling his truck even further.

Thats all for today.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #5
Chevy Fleetside

Put plywood in the truck so now I can acually use it as one. Even made a cut out so I can get to my battery without climbing under the truck. All that work for something that is temporary. I guess you can tell how I get gas in the truck..
Attached Images

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Old 06-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #6
64shortbox

Not exactly today but over the last few weeks. I removed the rear springs & installed air bags with separate Schrader valves. I removed the home made receiver hitch that was welded on the truck and bought a used Reese receiver hitch off Craigslist for $30.00 - modified it, painted it & installed it. I wrapped the exhaust pipes with a fiberglass cloth where they passed near the air bags. I installed & wired a Curt brake controller ($55.00 off eBay). I finally hooked up the truck to our 28 foot travel trailer and took it for a jaunt around town. I was surprised how well the truck handled it but I didn't take it up any hills. Hills and rust haven't been invented yet out here in the central California. I still need to drop the stabilizer hitch down a notch or 2 but it's 109 degrees out here now and that's going to have to wait.
Tuesday morning the truck goes to the upholstery shop to get the front seat recovered.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2014, 06:04 AM   #7
robber grin

We discovered that the rear bumper for the 62 was actually 63 to 66 (duh) -so we had to figure out the mounting since I had it powder coated already.

I’m really "smart" like that.

Took some 1½” x ¼” mild steel bar stock and 1/2"-13 Grade 8 bolts & made adapters for the bumper mounting bolts.

Now we can still run the 60-62 brackets that we have on hand while mounting the 63-66 bumper that we had coated white.

rg & ray~ray
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2014, 01:18 AM   #8
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64shortbox View Post
Not exactly today but over the last few weeks. I removed the rear springs & installed air bags with separate Schrader valves. I removed the home made receiver hitch that was welded on the truck and bought a used Reese receiver hitch off Craigslist for $30.00 - modified it, painted it & installed it. I wrapped the exhaust pipes with a fiberglass cloth where they passed near the air bags. I installed & wired a Curt brake controller ($55.00 off eBay). I finally hooked up the truck to our 28 foot travel trailer and took it for a jaunt around town. I was surprised how well the truck handled it but I didn't take it up any hills. Hills and rust haven't been invented yet out here in the central California. I still need to drop the stabilizer hitch down a notch or 2 but it's 109 degrees out here now and that's going to have to wait.
Tuesday morning the truck goes to the upholstery shop to get the front seat recovered.
Man that looks nice! The truck is beautiful and sure makes an attractive tow rig with the trailer attached. How do you like the manual air bags? Has it helped with trailer handling or braking? Also - do you have a build thread?
Old 06-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
Ronw435

Question? If you were going to partially restore a 65 C-10. Would you paint the frame and suspension parts. This truck will be my driver and will be taken on trips around the country. I don't have a sand blaster so will be scraping and wire brushing the frame before priming. Was wondering if anyone has used the industrial paints for the frame. I believe that was what was put on them from the factory right? BTW I have the body off the frame at this point.

Thanks for any responses.

Ron
Old 06-10-2014, 04:50 PM   #10
pimpston65

hey if the cab is away from the frame,its a full on resto in my opinion. well today i did the final sanding before primer, if this beast aint clean after all these suds...
Attached Images

Last edited by pimpston65; 06-10-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #11
joesscamaro

Hey pimpston...mind me asking how you removed the old sound deadener off the bottom of your cab?
Old 06-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #12
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesscamaro View Post
Hey pimpston...mind me asking how you removed the old sound deadener off the bottom of your cab?
i used a putty knife til i rounded the edges and a cup style wire wheel, wasnt bad. im lie'n. cab sat outside for a few yrs rusted i sand blasted sat some more, then i had a guy blast it again then he prime'd it with some hellofa stuff, wasnt easy to even scuf with 80grit,but thats all behind me now...
Old 06-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #13
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Drove it!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #14
jayoldschool

New front brake lines, bled brakes. New rear shoes/combi, greased front end. Upper ball joints are still OEM, and tight! Repacked wheel bearings. Getting closer...
Old 06-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #15
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
New front brake lines, bled brakes. New rear shoes/combi, greased front end. Upper ball joints are still OEM, and tight! Repacked wheel bearings. Getting closer...
quick question, i installed the inner and outer bearings on the front spindle, i noticed they call for a inner bearing seal that goes on first, closest to the backing plate. dumb question is it needed? cuz i pounded like heck to get the inner bearing on, i guess i could use a puller to get em off if needs be...
Old 06-11-2014, 02:14 AM   #16
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Today, I hooked up a wideband, worked on my SD-tune, and grumbled about getting around to coating my bed.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
Old 06-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #17
Turtleman

Very Nice Shortbox.. I really like the steering column,, whats it out of?
Old 06-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #18
WhippinSaw

Put some paint on my fender I got from TJ, now I can start working on my rear bumper again,
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #19
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippinSaw View Post
Put some paint on my fender I got from TJ, now I can start working on my rear bumper again,
WOW!!!!! That fender went through a complete transformation!!! I blown a way! LOL!
Old 06-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #20
evolve520

I had mine towed to the shop
Old 06-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #21
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippinSaw View Post
It's so rewarding seeing what looks like brand new parts hanging in fresh paint! Nice job.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #22
pimpston65

cleaned up the future paint booth( my garage and shed)
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #23
Softpatch

life has taken another turn...
all I will say is

Best time to take a cookie.?...When cookie's are being passed.!

...........mine is for sale
if anyone on here see my ad on the interweb
I will give the a CT discount

. keep'n my 63 Fleetside
1966 C-20 .....Swap 91 G-30(5.7 FI)/4L80E
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=789617
59 Viking Revival .. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632341
Old 06-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #24
lha1992

Gonna grind this stuff down. Prolly making a decision on whether to keep the old girl or buy this 66 gmc with bbw, 351e an the new process 4speed and buddy buckets power steering an brakes! Guy had been working on the rust in the gmc an finished most of the drivers side an has the replacement metal for the passenger. Rot in the firewall is none so just gotta wait an decide what I want?? Kinda torn an can only keep one.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:40 PM   #25
64shortbox

Thanks for the positive comments on my seat. I actually figured most folks would find it too much.

Turtleman - my column is out of a 72 Chevy van. I bought it off eBay. I was the only bidder @ $98.00 & $13.00 shipping if I remember correctly. The seller had crummy pictures but he answered all my questions.
Closed Thread