The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2016, 02:18 PM   #1
SS Tim

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
.... I guess, if we were smart, we'd start a thread on how ugly the plaid interiors are and really make em sound like something nobody would want.... Hmmm.
We that is kind of the whole point of the thread they were and still are unloved by many. While I am sure many of the "Hidden Highlanders" out there are due to an unavailability of "catalog" or cheap, correct seat covers, just as many have to have fallen into the "what were they thinking?" catagory.

To me it is a bonus option to find on a truck but not really an "added value" enhancement. While some combinations are very rarely found it doesn't make them typically more valuable to most potential buyers.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
SS Tim

More Highlanders please.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:30 PM   #3
Coley

...lol, yep hard to say if the entire highlander look was a good thing or not.
I have a buddy of mine who thinks it (the plaid) is the tackiest thing he has ever seen.
I have been threatening to have an entire suit made out of the highlander plaid material when I have the seat redone....and get an extra pair of pants made for him personally....lol.
All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:57 AM   #4
mechanic350

yeah they are definitely an acquired taste for those of us that do like them. i get some weird looks and responses just to the ochre and white paint job from the factory that i want to redo let alone the grey plaid interior.

2018 Toyota Tacoma but hunting for another C10

Link to my build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=607303
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/72c10shortbox/?hl=en
mechanic350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:51 PM   #5
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Hers another for sale on EBay and its had couple of tweaks. This truck has the YG7 package which doesn't have A/C yet someone added A/C along the way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-C-...m=391492294357
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:23 AM   #6
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Here is another and it looks to be unmolested YG8 Package Highlander even having the PA1 hubcaps. He is asking, shall we say, all the money for the truck. Got a question on this one and SSTim probably has the answer. Would the factory have painted the tailgate letters yellow?

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5643460441.html
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Old 06-27-2016, 01:41 AM   #7
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
... Would the factory have painted the tailgate letters yellow?...
On Custom and Custom Deluxe trim level pickups optioned with the Deluxe Two-Tone paint (coded 4XX), the tailgate letters were the primary body color. So in this case the Light Yellow letters are correct.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #8
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
On Custom and Custom Deluxe trim level pickups optioned with the Deluxe Two-Tone paint (coded 4XX), the tailgate letters were the primary body color. So in this case the Light Yellow letters are correct.
Thanks for that info Tim. I know this is off Highlander topic a touch but does that mean the Cheyennes and Cheyenne Supers had primary body colour letters as well?

Old 07-01-2016, 09:31 PM   #9
jocko

Quote:
Here is another and it looks to be unmolested YG8 Package Highlander even having the PA1 hubcaps. He is asking, shall we say, all the money for the truck. Got a question on this one and SSTim probably has the answer. Would the factory have painted the tailgate letters yellow?

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5643460441.html
That is a beautiful one Greg. If it had 5 miles on the odometer, the price would still be a little crazy... But it is VERY original, not many still have the PA1 wheel covers still on them. I wonder what the mileage is on its odometer...
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #10
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
That is a beautiful one Greg. If it had 5 miles on the odometer, the price would still be a little crazy... But it is VERY original, not many still have the PA1 wheel covers still on them. I wonder what the mileage is on its odometer...
The seller is claiming 100,127 and the odo is showing 00127.5

If anyone should get its SPID please post it up here.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2016, 01:50 AM   #11
SS Tim

Quote:
Heres another for sale on EBay and its had couple of tweaks. This truck has the YG7 package which doesn't have A/C yet someone added A/C along the way...
This truck is a long from "as delivered", aftermarket A/C is certainly justifiable down in Houston on those 99*/99% summer days.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #12
SS Tim

Cheyennes and Cheyenne Supers included woodgrained tailgate appliques covering the debossed lettering visable on Custom and Custom Deluxe tailgates.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:17 PM   #13
Mike's money pit

Here is a really well optioned Highlander on the Wichita, KS Craigslist. I would love to have this one!

1972 Chevy 1/2 Truck Factory 402,Auto,Tach,Tilt,Air, More

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/5638394836.html
Attached Images

Mike's money pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:18 PM   #14
Mike's money pit

Exterior:
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2016, 11:19 PM   #15
Mike's money pit

Interior:
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2016, 11:34 PM   #16
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

This one was posted by another board member on the "Post your Craigslist Finds " thread.

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/5623121422.html
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2016, 09:34 AM   #17
Chulisohombre

Nice looking 85. I was going to Say truckseats vender in here as well. I don't have any clue besides him where to get the correct fabric.
Posted via Mobile Device
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:39 AM   #18
Ed F

Or SMS has the fabric and you can have it sewn locally. I got green from back in March and we cut the stitches from the original and sewed in the new keeping the original vinyl.
Ed F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:11 AM   #19
Coley

Smile Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?

So here is a question for the Highlander group....of which I am one:

If you needed your seat redone would you consider maybe using the 'Cheyenne' type cloth material in place of the highlander plaid in order to update (arguably improve?) the interiors appearance?...or would you absolutely stick with the plaid?
I have been considering this when I get my seat redone...but I'm still on the fence with this. I don't really mind the appearance and I think for the better part, I simply don't think about it all that much....but I do get a kick out of the comments it (the plaid) gets and it has me looking more closely at the appeal of the highlander material in my own mind.
I don't think it would change the history of the truck, etc and it could be changed back at some point....regardless, what do you think?....are you lovin' that plaid?

All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:07 PM   #20
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post

If you needed your seat redone would you consider maybe using the 'Cheyenne' type cloth material in place of the highlander plaid in order to update (arguably improve?) the interiors appearance?...or would you absolutely stick with the plaid?
I have been considering this when I get my seat redone...but I'm still on the fence with this. I don't really mind the appearance and I think for the better part, I simply don't think about it all that much....but I do get a kick out of the comments it (the plaid) gets and it has me looking more closely at the appeal of the highlander material in my own mind.
I don't think it would change the history of the truck, etc and it could be changed back at some point....regardless, what do you think?....are you lovin' that plaid?

All Good
Coley

Interesting point Colin. I have original buckets with the console and new foam for my Highlander and next is to order the seat covers. My plan is to order the green plaid covers like used on Blazers but weren't available for pickups. I do have thoughts of maybe going with the scroll parchment seat covers instead or like you the Cheyenne cloth. I'm thinking as I'm scraping the money together for the covers.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #21
SS Tim

Quote:
Interesting point Colin. I have original buckets with the console and new foam for my Highlander and next is to order the seat covers. My plan is to order the green plaid covers like used on Blazers but weren't available for pickups. I do have thoughts of maybe going with the scroll parchment seat covers instead or like you the Cheyenne cloth. I'm thinking as I'm scraping the money together for the covers.
Any way you do it the result won't be factory correct.
a couple of poins to remember are that the Blazer Highlander was based on the CST~Cheyenne trim and not the Custom Deluxe as the Pickup and Suburban Highlanders were.
Chevrolet didn't offer bucket seat upgrades on Custom Deluxe pickups. Base truck buckets were offered as well as the Cheyenne and Supers (using Cheyenne vinyle seats).

In fact Highlander Blazers were the only CK series trucks offered with cloth insert buckets. All those Houndstooh buckets are aftermarket creations.

If you simply must install bucket seats, remember the floor cross brace/reinforcement (p/n 3990368) is an important component to bring the floor to factory A50 specs.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #22
SS Tim

Quote:

All Good
Coley
IMHO if you have and like a Highlander's trim combination then keep it!
In a sea of fake Cheyenne Supers, a Highlander plaid stands out (good or bad). :-)
Old 07-06-2016, 07:53 PM   #23
jocko

Quote:

All Good
Coley
Once you go plaid, you never go back... Stay plaid! Good question - Plaid is more unique, but that only really counts if you like it. Cheaper to get a Cheyenne Super Custom Cloth (houndstooth) seat cover if $ is the issue. I've had the same thoughts myself - if I ever owned a Custom, for example (i.e. lowest trim), would I stuff in a Custom Cloth seat cover if it needed one. Yes. I am just not a fan of the vinyl - have normally lived in hot places, and got tired of frying the back of my legs. Anyway, for me, if I have a Highlander (and I do), I like to stick with the factory plaid. All comes down to what you want. If you like the houndstooth better, then by all means do get that one. But if on the fence, I'd stick with the cool stock plaid.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:47 AM   #24
Chulisohombre

Stay stick plaid. It looks awesome to me and just stands out more than the plain vinyl.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:23 PM   #25
GR8-68

That looks like factory paint in the pic but the spid says orange red and white. Is there evidence of repaint ?

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote