The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #651
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

NIce work on the bed. I have been using the quart size hammered finish Rustoleom on my project. I was able to use my primer gun with very little thinning. The finish turned out really good. My biggest problem with it is it doesn't seem very durable. I have scratched and chipped a few spots on my frame while installing parts. Maybe powdercoat or chassis paint would work better? IDK? it is cheap though and looks good.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #652
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Probably the last update for a while. Heading to Idaho in the morning. I got some things done on the rear end so the bed can be set down and I shouldn't have to move it to work on it again. Got the gas filler hose connected to the tank.

Then got the hot lead and a new ground connection done on it.

I ran the tail light harness back there also, but it's not fastened to the frame yet, or routed into the cab either.

I realized I forgot about the axle vent tube, it was cracked so I pulled it off and the vent was completely plugged, so I cleared that, but will have to buy some more tubing. That can be done with the bed on though. I put a 2 page list together of all the things I could think of to complete the build. There's more I know, but I have most of it down.

Think the guys from the body shop will take the hint here...

Lastly, here are a couple pics of the power brake linkage and bracket set up for Steve-W. The pedal rod is attched at the lower hole in the bracket.

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #653
Steve-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Lastly, here are a couple pics of the power brake linkage and bracket set up for Steve-W. The pedal rod is attched at the lower hole in the bracket.
Ahhhhhh now I understand!! there is a linkage arm!
Great, thanks so much for your help and your project is an inspiration for me to keep going!
1950 GMC 100
1958 Chevy C60 Viking ratrod
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:01 AM   #654
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Got home this afternoon and the bed was getting sprayed at the time. So I have a couple days to get some things done while it's sanded and polished. I have to sandblast some pieces and spray some black on them. Should be some updates soon with pics.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #655
VA72C10
VA72C10

cool! Welcome back
Old 07-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #656
Steve-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
........ Should be some updates soon with pics.
Finally! the suspence is killing me!
1950 GMC 100
Old 07-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #657
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Just some cell phone pics for now, but the bed and tailgate are sprayed and wet sanded. They forgot to spray the hinge parts though. Should be getting it home in the next day or so. Cripes it's hot and humid out. Especially after spending the last several days in SE Idaho where the dew point is normally in the 40's or less. All I did so far was drop off parts with the sandblaster, and sprayed some undercoating on the bottom rear edge of the cab, then sprayed some black rustoleum on the frame to cover the primer overspray. If I can get the hood hinges, and battery tray, etc painted today, I'll be happy.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #658
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Man that looks awesome! You're getting real close now! I was hoping to have mine drivable by the time you got yours done. Uh, that ain't happening.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #659
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Man that looks awesome! You're getting real close now! I was hoping to have mine drivable by the time you got yours done. Uh, that ain't happening.
Driveable? Sure. Done? It'll be a while. I'll be working on it through the fall I'd bet. Just ordered part of the exhaust.

I have 2 1/2" collectors from the headers, into this part:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PYE-XVA10/

Then see if the mufflers will fit directly into the x pipe, or if I need to get some tubing with bends, etc to fit it. Since I moved the gas tank under the bed, I'm thinking a suburban tail pipe set should work as a fairly direct replacement part. Approximately the same wheel base and axle, same gas tank in the same location. May need some modification for hangers.

Also ordered an adjustable vacuum set up for the HEI.
Amazon.com: Mr. Gasket 6010 HEI Adjustable Vacuum... Amazon.com: Mr. Gasket 6010 HEI Adjustable Vacuum...
Once the exhaust is on and I can tune the EFI (without damaging my ear drums), I want the ignition to be tuned better than stock also. And I ordered new polished aluminum plug wire looms:
Amazon.com: R&M Specialties 1101P Polished... Amazon.com: R&M Specialties 1101P Polished...
I need to get over to the lumber yard and find a nice piece to use for mounting the ECU for the EFI so I can finish the right side of the dash assembly. Maybe my parts are done getting blasted too.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #660
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Either way, I'm going to bet yours is a driver before mine. Mine keeps hiding parts on me.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 07-28-2011, 01:20 AM   #661
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I found some 1/4" plastic board to use as support for the ECU to mount under the glove box. My parts were blasted. But the dew point was hovering around 80F and my daughter had a double header, so nothing else was done. Oh well. Maybe tomorrow will be a bit nicer for working outside.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #662
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Good luck with the dew point going down.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 07-29-2011, 12:29 AM   #663
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Good luck with the dew point going down.
You laugh, but it did. It was much nicer today. So I started out gathering the parts that need sprayed black. I couldn't find the radiator hold downs. I looked for hours, no luck. I moved on without them. Made a hanger for everything to hang from, nothing fancy, but it worked and primer was sprayed.

A bit later, one of the body guys knocks on the door and asks me if they can bring the bed over. Hell Yeah! We figured out it would be easiest to just roll the truck to the shop, set it down, then they could polish the driver door also. And with a plan, we proceded...

I like the reflection with the Jimmy on this pic.

Nice and straight...

Door is polished...

I was able to stand and watch the door get buffed out and learn a bit, which was nice. But then it was time to get back to work and get those parts painted.

Then I had to move everything from one side of the garage to the other. I have a driveway that tapers together towards the street with a tree along side. In order to move the truck into the right side, it kind of rubs the cedar, so instead, it'll get parked on the left side for now. All of my neighbors with an interest in my project stopped by and told me how great it was looking, which is always appreciated.

And for some reason, I've always loved how a garage looks in the evening with the doors up and the lights on. It just seems so right to me.

Couple more shots of my mess...

The downside of having a nice fresh shiny paint job, is that it makes all the less shiny bits really stand out. My wife said I have to do something with those wheels and tires, even if it means replacing them. I think the tires will clean up fine. Just a few thousand miles on them. The wheels I'm thinking are powder coat candidates. Any opinions on that?

Oh and wouldn't you know it. the raditor hold downs showed up while I was moving stuff around, about an hour after I cleaned up the gun, and dumped the left over paint.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:34 AM   #664
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Another note, the body shop forgot to paint the tailgate hinge parts, so I should be getting those in the next couple days and can mount it up. If the hood hinges are dry enough tomorrow I'll mount the hood.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:09 AM   #665
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looks FANTASTIC!!! Love it!!! Congrats!!!

What color powder are you thinking of for the wheels? A silver or maybe an anthracite?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #666
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Looks FANTASTIC!!! Love it!!! Congrats!!!

What color powder are you thinking of for the wheels? A silver or maybe an anthracite?
Thanks. As close to the bright aluminum color as I can get, or maybe more chrome or polished looking. I'd like to see what it would look like first. I might end up buying a coating gun and cheap oven to try it on a used wheel myself. I've seen similar wheels in the junkyards to test on.

Tailgate brackets getting painted this morning. I think I'm going to pull out the old seat, get the ECU mounted and lay in some more sound fatmat today. I really should bleed the brakes so I can maybe test drive it.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #667
67cheby
67cheby

all of your long hours blocking paid off ...NICELY DONE !!
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #668
lowdown72

truck looks awesome great work
Old 07-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #669
Steve-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
it sure did..the truck looks immaculate!! gawd damn what a great looking paint job.. congrats!

I keep going over the pictures trying to spot something..but it's perfect,, just perfect!
1950 GMC 100
Old 07-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #670
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdown72 View Post
truck looks awesome great work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
it sure did..the truck looks immaculate!! gawd damn what a great looking paint job.. congrats!

I keep going over the pictures trying to spot something..but it's perfect,, just perfect!
Thanks a lot. Even people driving by are stopping to say nice truck. One of the body guys was leaving work early today. He stopped by my place just to see what I was doing and check my progress. He's the one that did all of the buffing on the bed, and a lot of the sanding. His brother did the painting. They both said they were impressed with how straight I got it. He told me if I lost my job I could be a bodyman. I said I'll think I'll stay where I'm at.

Anyway, todays progress. I started the day wanting to get the ECU mounted. I cut a cardboard template of the bottom of the glove box, then used it to cut a piece of 1/4" sheet plastic. Then marked the mount holes from the ECU and drilled 1/4" holes. I tried to get fancy with tapered head screws that would be flush when counter sunk in the plastic, but that didn't work so well. The bit would grab the plastic and in less than a second, a 1/2" hole would appear. So I just used regular 1/4" bolts and mounted the ECU under the glove box. It can only be seen when you get low enough to look up at the glove box, but I can still reach the knobs for adjustment.

Now you see it...

Now you don't...

I got a different rattle can black for spraying the bolt heads. The rustoleum just takes too long to dry. And I finally got the battery tray mounted. And started routing the wire harness for the EFI. I used a grommet from a newer car floor drain hole. I might re-route the harness behind the engine for a cleaner look.

I also got the e-brake assembly mounted, but the cable isn't connected yet and I need another painted bolt for where it bolts to the dash bottom.

The UPS guy dropped off a couple boxes today...

Then I decided to get the door seals in and the latch catches mounted. I have new stock replacement seals, but didn't care for how loose they were in the frame and having to glue them in. While I was at the body shop one day they were replacing the driver side of a 2009 ford truck, quad cab. The door seals were still like new and they let me try them on my truck. They fit great, hang right on the rail no problem, have a double squish area for a good seal, and they were free.

The latch catches took a little trial and error to get right, but I eventually got both doors to shut tight. While Marv (the bodyman) was available, he helped me get the hood mounted. I think it turned out great. It used to have a fairly significant dip in the middle, but you can hardly see it now. And the way the shop caulked up the skin under the bracing made it much more solid. I love the reflection of the cab roof on the hood.

I ended the day getting the tailgate installed. I was happy with how straight it can out. That gate has seen a lot of abuse and I probably spent more time on that than just about any other panel for sanding.

And so, there it is. A truck again. I was going to bleed the brakes, but the first bleeder I tried broke off. I've got more work to do. But I need a break. It's been an awesome few days, and sometimes I just sit and stare at it, wishing my dad was still here to see what I did with his old truck. He never saw it the same way I did, but I know he would have loved it.

PS, I cleaned up the tires, there's a bit of overspray on one, but the wife still says I need new ones. It'll have to wait for funds though.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #671
spike38

It's looking good!
It wont be long.

Spike

P.S. Isn't it great, Even as grown men,
How excited we get when we see that UPS,
Or FEDEX truck pull up.
spike38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:51 AM   #672
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

It's looking great! I'm loving the color and I think the wheels look good on it. If you could get them polished, I think it would make them pop. That is a nice johnny popper in the first pics as well.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 07-31-2011, 05:34 PM   #673
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike38 View Post
It's looking good!
It wont be long.

Spike

P.S. Isn't it great, Even as grown men,
How excited we get when we see that UPS,
Or FEDEX truck pull up.
Cardboard wrapped presents, and it's always just what I wanted.

Quote:
It's looking great! I'm loving the color and I think the wheels look good on it. If you could get them polished, I think it would make them pop. That is a nice johnny popper in the first pics as well.
Yeah the wheels will need some work, or replaced. It's pretty low on my priority list right now. The neighbor grew up on a local farm and about a half dozen of the old tractors are still out there. A few years ago he started restoring them. That's his little A, and they have a 60 and 80 I think done also. They take them to local pulls in the summer. Great neighbors too. Their son was into snowmobile racing (still does) and just bought a 68 chevelle for his first car project. My old 350 from my Jimmy will be it's next engine. They don't mind the sound of my open headers.

It's too damn hot today, I just cleaned up some of the disaster area I call a garage and called it a day. Probably won't get back to the truck til next weekend. I apologize to those who think I can do this everyday.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:42 PM   #674
litew8

no excuses!
punch a hole in the garage wall to the living-room to get the central air moving and get back to work!
Old 07-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #675
VA72C10
VA72C10

On the rims....what about just cleaning them up and spraying them with anthracite wheel paint and clear for a quick and cheap way to make them look up to par with the rest of the truck