The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
LT1 Burb

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

I put my new AC compressor in my suburban and cut the rocker panel off of my 65 Cab.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
joedoh

took off the bed to mount some big old fatties, they wouldnt fit no matter how high I jacked it up!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
Old 07-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
Wolfinthesnow
I put the laughter n slaughter

Those look good joe.. Got the specific size by any chance?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
joedoh

295/70/15 BFG radial T/A

they havent made them in a couple years, I got lucky and a guy had them still brand new on craigslist from his 33 open wheel ford. still trying to get rid of the drag stars they came on, but cant complain about the look

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
Old 07-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
Chevy Fleetside

battery is nice and snug in its new home on the truck and I got to see the lights come on for the first time in over 6 years..
Attached Images

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Old 07-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

My son and I got the engine into his truck.

The 292 does not use the same mount between the frame mount and the block as the 230, so we are now looking for a new drivers side mount. Bell housing and passenger side mounted though.

Lots left, but it's a good start!
Attached Images

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
Old 07-29-2013, 12:31 AM   #7
mud.man.rj

Nice work, what color is the 292, is it a factory color or something you liked.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
robber grin

Wow Jason - motor looks great!

My son and I got the rear brakes installed on our 62 C10 and played with pinion angle too. Cleaned up and polished the chrome reverse wheels. Installed the blazer tank and started the fuel line.

We went with the 66-68 rear cables but I need to find these goofy looking little clips to hold them to the trailing arms.

There has to be a local source - I hate the idea of ordering two little cable clips and paying twice the cost to get them to the house...

Good weekend.
rg
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud.man.rj View Post
Nice work, what color is the 292, is it a factory color or something you liked.
Thanks Mud.Man! It is forest green and cast iron high temp engine paint. I think Duplicolor, but I don't remember for sure.

The '63 292 came in a dark green, but not quite this color. We were looking for a dark green, and saw the cast iron and decided to go with this combo.

Thanks Robber Grin!!

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
Old 07-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
donthekawguy

Yesterday I finally got started on my tailgate. It had a pretty thick layer of surface rust. I did the inside of the gate a month or so ago. I hit it with a wire wheel in my drill. On the bare metal I sprayed on Permatex Rust Treatment. I still have some rust to remove and I found some bondo under a couple of spots of primer I will need to sand smooth. After all that I'm going to give a try at painting. I have some Hot Rodz flat sublime green. I have a minor surgery tomorrow but I get 10 days off paid to work on the truck. Future plans for the 10 days are-get the bed off and Por15 the frame and cross members of the bed, get the wood cut and sealed, maybe sand and paint the back of the cab and front of the bed while it's off just to make it look like I got something done.

Last edited by donthekawguy; 07-29-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
tonythezeek

Saw some wheels on CL that were reasonably priced so I made arrangements to purchase them this weekend. Unfortunately, the guy backed out on Friday (would not answer my text). So I thought to myself, "I've already allotted these funds for the truck.. maybe I should put them towards starting the vehicle." So off to a salvo of auto parts stores picking up various odds and ends to get the engine started. Got back to the house and started working.

Cleaned the carb that had been sitting since 2009, added oil and changed wires (i know i should also changed the plugs but the goal was to just get it to start. also i was missing a plug wire because i helped a friend out when he burnt up one of his lol). Hooked up the battery, jumped in the truck and.. "POP!" ...blew a fuse.

The old wiring harness was starting to look like a rats nest so i suspected that there may have been a short somewhere down the line. Luckily, i squirreled away an EZ wiring harness some years back. After running back and forth between the garage and the internet and after some minor distractions, today.. at 8:50pm... she was brought back to life. I still need a starter (this one sounds like its on its last leg and it also may have contributed to the blown fuses) and a new battery (the one installed is from a salvage yard). I also need to finish running the wiring harness.. but i'm going to take my time routing and tucking it the right way this time.

...and for the record, open headers sound bad ass!!!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #12
Chevy Fleetside

I cleaned and hooked up more wires then I pulled it out of the garage, turned it around and drove it back in. Now I just have to get some insurance so I can register it.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Old 07-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
aclew62

Unhappy Re: What did you do to your truck today?

I started running the exhaust!! Can't seem to upload a pic from the "smart" phone....
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
64c20crewcab

Started the widening of the stepside bed. Bed mount rails are being cut in 1/2 then im welding in 4" sections. This will set the bed more in proportion with the cab and the rear fenders will clear the current tires on the current Eaton rearend and clear narrower tires on the late model 14bolt thats going in. 14bolt is 3.5" wider... Slow progress but its progress...
Posted via Mobile Device

1964 C20 Long Stepside 3 Door Crew Cab
- Armbruster-Stageway Conversion

Y2K INDN Chief

"ONE OF A KIND, NOT ONE OF THE CROWD"
Aug 2010 - Front end frame cleanup & engine swap done!!!
June 2011 - Rear end bagged
Sept 2011 - Rebuild motor top end
Sept 2012 - Parked and slowly working on it.
Aug 2013 - Front end bagged - finally!
Aug 2014 - Stepside swap conversion done. Finally ready to start bodywork! Have a few KEWL ideas...
Here is my build thread:
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=335427
Old 07-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #15
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Got my new fuel tank sending unit in the mail today! Hopefully the fuel gauge will
work now!
Old 08-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #16
jbgroby

Picked up the tailgate from the painter.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #17
JWheeler331

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgroby View Post
Picked up the tailgate from the painter.

Sweet. Who are you using? He letting you do a few parts at a time or did you send it all at one time?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #18
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Unhappy Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Decided to wire the fuel pump to a switch so I could manually turn it on and off.... Well... that did not go to well Took it for a drive after and when I was on my way back(only 2 miles from home) I smelled smoke under the dash and turned out that my wires melted themselves together causing it to short! The truck died on the road and I was able to shove a wire on the hot battery cable to get home. How it happened I don't know cause I had a 14 gauge wire coming from the battery to the switch and a 12 gauge going to the pump, so they were thick enough....at least I thought. There was no fuse, so I am glad I did not blow my pump, so I re-wired it back to the starter so all I have to do is turn the key and off we go...I hope! Good ole chevy!
Old 08-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #19
jbgroby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWheeler331 View Post
Sweet. Who are you using? He letting you do a few parts at a time or did you send it all at one time?
I'm using a local guy email me off bb and I'll give you his name and number. Because I'm not using metallic in the paint, he can paint it one part at a time.

Jake
Old 08-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #20
Fastest32

Scored 3 free steelies on craigslist, still need one more but this one cleaned up nice.
Posted via Mobile Device

GO SPURS GO!!!
Old 08-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #21
tmills213

Decided to take the wife for a nice ride to the beach. It was nice until the ride home. Made it about 3 minutes and after a pop sputter and knock I was on the side of the road scratching my head, especially since I drove around previously in the day just fine. Tried turning it over a buncha times getting hints of random sputters (eventually nothing), got nothing. No one answering the phone, figured tow was inevitable.

Random guy and his wife show up on a motorcycle and he knew what he was doing unlike myself. After insisting that he would go home and had everything i needed (mechanic) he returns in an amazing 60s mustang with a garage worth of parts. Narrowed it down to coil not getting charge from MSD digital 6 plus. I figured time for a flatbed.... he whips out an HEI, changes it in 5 minutes and I was done. Never saw that coming... faith in humanity restored. I kinda just stood out of his way in amazement of what was happening.

Parts will be returned in the morning but sure glad he showed up.

Now i'm not sure what I should do for ignition. It seemed to have more piss and vinegar on the way home than when running the digital 6 and mallory unilite.
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #22
Vernski

That's cool the big truck in the sky was watching out for you. Haven't heard any bad raps about MSD but can't say the same for the unilite. What did your new friend say about it?..Vernski
Old 08-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #23
tmills213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernski View Post
That's cool the big truck in the sky was watching out for you. Haven't heard any bad raps about MSD but can't say the same for the unilite. What did your new friend say about it?..Vernski
He actually said he doesn't trust the 6-plus and has had many 6A's for 20+ years. Don't remember what he had to say exactly about the unilite but it was along the lines of its not really needed/unreliable.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #24
donthekawguy

I got most of the frame cleaned up and painted. I went with rattle can cuzz I'm thinking about a body off rebuild next year so why waste 40 bucks worth of por15. And BTW that goofy exhaust is going in the trash this week while I have the bed off.

Last edited by donthekawguy; 08-05-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #25
donthekawguy

Finally got the wood and strips out. I had to grind and use my air chisel to get the bolts out. I did mess up a couple of holes but nothing too bad and they won't be seen. Now to the powder coater and Ziggy's to get wood. I have all new bolts and everything should look nice when done. I'm saving all the repairs for next year when I have more money.