The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Re: Are you proud of your american made automobile ?

We died in wool "Buy American" types are fighting to protect the American worker and the corporations who are in cahoots with the foreign companies we refuse to patronize.
It`s in my blood.It`s noble yet futile,IMO.It`s more like "Try American" now.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-19-2009 at 10:12 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:47 AM   #2
RunninLo
3DrDwn--the 'burb not the band

My dad and I used to have this argument about 15 years ago because I chose to drive a Nissan Sentra. It was my first brand new car and I only had to give $6500 at 15 y.o. and paying with my own money the big 3 didn't have an option.
Now my dad drove an S-10 at the time that had more maple leafs and mexican parts on it than anything else. My lil Nissan assembled right here in Good ol Smyna TN. You tell me which is more american?
My fathers argument was that he would rather see his doller go to a handful of white collar american CEO's than overseas. Mine was that I felt the 3400+ blue collar regular working folks there in TN benefited more with my purchase.

The waters of the auto industry have been so muddied over the years by different mergers and partnerships that a car of sole country of origin is a fictional being and this argument is futile. I will continue to support my local bakery, bar, fab shop, barber and mom and pops where I know I can get good quality local goods but when it come to my auto purchases I will not delude my self into thinking I can buy american and thus go for the best for my dollar.

Josh

'89 GMC Dually crew build page coming soon.
88 4x4 crew DD

duallys past/present pics here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...46#post4001246

89 1 ton Dually rear flip kit install here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=354327
RunninLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
Skirkpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninLo View Post
My dad and I used to have this argument about 15 years ago because I chose to drive a Nissan Sentra. It was my first brand new car and I only had to give $6500 at 15 y.o. and paying with my own money the big 3 didn't have an option.
Now my dad drove an S-10 at the time that had more maple leafs and mexican parts on it than anything else. My lil Nissan assembled right here in Good ol Smyna TN. You tell me which is more american?
My fathers argument was that he would rather see his doller go to a handful of white collar american CEO's than overseas. Mine was that I felt the 3400+ blue collar regular working folks there in TN benefited more with my purchase.

The waters of the auto industry have been so muddied over the years by different mergers and partnerships that a car of sole country of origin is a fictional being and this argument is futile. I will continue to support my local bakery, bar, fab shop, barber and mom and pops where I know I can get good quality local goods but when it come to my auto purchases I will not delude my self into thinking I can buy american and thus go for the best for my dollar.

Josh
Did you by chance mean " More U.S." There is more than one country in America Josh, Canada, and Mexico are both American Countrys. I know what you meant though.

So your argument is that A Japenese company that sends all profits to Japan, Sources all parts, or most from Asian companys, and simply assembles a car here is more American or U.S. , than a Company That is based in Michigan, and employs American union labor, and at the time you are reffering was sourcing almost all parts from U.S. companys ( even if they sub-contracted to Canadians, and Mexicans)? You have an argument, just not a good one, sorry your Dad is right.

What really makes me laugh is all of the people sticking up for the foreign companys and saying they are more "American" than the Big three...

You do not have any Idea how the industry runs, the reason G.M., Ford and Chrysler source from Mexico, and Asia is because of this Country's unrelenting assault on the manufacturing base, We cannot be competitive, because The United States Government, And the American workforce has made it immpossile to compete with the company's that you are Comparing here. You cannot build a wiring harness in the U.S. and compete with Toyota building one in Asia if we built parts here the cars would cost as much or more than BMW's,

I know that what I am saying is not going to get through to most of of you working at Min. Wage with no benifits , but If you ever want to make more than $7.00/hr. and would like to be able to send your kids to the Doctor without the taxpayers footing the bill on Medicare, We as a Country sould try to salvage the few well paying jobs that we have, not criticize men who EARN every penny they get. You should start looking at who you support, if you want to buy a Toyota, say it's because you like them better, or the ashtray is bigger to hold my butts, or the little guy on the commercial makes me giggle, but leave the Patronizing Patriotism out of it..You are an Citizen of the U.S drive what you like, thats what we are, FREE, if anyone tells you that it is unamerican to do what you want , tell them to exercise there right to go away in the car they like, whatever it is!

Just My Opinion, Sorry if it offensive.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Why does anyone think the unions got us anything other than more money out of your pockets. I have worked for 30 years and never had a union help me at all except spend more money everytime I buy a car.

SC is a right to work state and unions just have no place here. I worked 40 hrs a week for years with 3 day weekends payed hollidays, 5 weeks vacation, sick leave and there ant no union here!
UAW workers work hard... how hard is it to work on assembly line.
As others have stated if there were vehicles cheap enough when I needed to get one I to would have owned nothing but GM, but since the union's have increased the prices of american products we can't always afford what we want, so I bought what I could afford and didn't go in debt over and above what I knew I could pay back just so the govenment would bail me out.I own 5 vehicles one is totaled and the sorry you know what that stole it can't pay for it.
The other one is my daughters car so she can get to college.
The other three are in my drive way and they are all GM.
Sorry for the long post.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
... how hard is it to work on assembly line.
I do it 40 hrs a week. That said...it's not for everybody. One of my good friends that I used to work with had a relative that constantly asked him the same thing. He was cool about it, just kinda shrugged his shoulders and let it go. The next time our plant was doing some hiring he helped his relative get their foot in the door. His relative lasted less then a month....Never gave him a hard time again about "how hard is it to work on an assembly line?"
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
Skirkpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten View Post
I do it 40 hrs a week. That said...it's not for everybody. One of my good friends that I used to work with had a relative that constantly asked him the same thing. He was cool about it, just kinda shrugged his shoulders and let it go. The next time our plant was doing some hiring he helped his relative get their foot in the door. His relative lasted less then a month....Never gave him a hard time again about "how hard is it to work on an assembly line?"
I hope you can take my opinion without feeling that I am beig adversarial, this is not my intention.

Andy, how long exactly have you worked production ? I am going to assume never because of the response above, If I am wrong please enlighten me...

Missouri is a right to work state also, we have alot of great union jobs!! glad we do it sets the bar a little higher for the lesser employers, Oh and before you say I am Biased because I work for the union, please note that I am self-employed, and have been for years . But I still support the Men and Women who sacrificed for this country, and the Union Worker is what made America Great!!

State Unemloyment Rankings Nov. 2008 http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lis..._unemployment/

1 MICHIGAN 9.6
2 RHODE ISLAND 9.3
3 CALIFORNIA 8.4
3 SOUTH CAROLINA 8.4

According to CNN SC could use any jobs, especially secure Union ones?
Old 02-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

At age 31, almost all of my vehicles have been US made (or at least in name):

79 Chevy Luv 4x4 (made by Isuzu)
60 Ford F250
89 Olds Cutlass
76 GMC C1500
99 GMC Jimmy
91 Suburban
04 Durango

Now the wife has had 2 different years of Nissan Pathfinders (95 and 01) but I do not claim them since neither was ever in my name, and I talked her into our current 04 Durango.

I myself am a GM nut, and have no problem with Chryslers... but always had problems with Fords so I refuse to buy any more. I personally see no problem with a limited number of these non-big3 but the way so many US businesses have bend over forwards to take it up the tail pipe just bothers me so I keep with the 2 brands I trust... even if the newer ones may be 35% canadian parts, I never buy new anyways...
-------------------

Last edited by screwballl; 02-19-2009 at 12:58 PM.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
big_al_71

somehow there will always be the "Buy american" arguement.

I personally buy whatever fits my needs and I can get more bang for by buck. It does not matter to me who,where or how it was built or by who.
At the end of the day all it matters to me is that we make as much money as possible and stay profitable so we dont have to ask for a bailout

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandler62 View Post
I almost never buy new so my car money gets spent in the US no matter what I buy.

(My Toyota is 78% US. btw)
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
somehow there will always be the "Buy american" arguement.

I personally buy whatever fits my needs and I can get more bang for by buck. It does not matter to me who,where or how it was built or by who.
These two statements pretty much sums it up for me too. I don't buy new vehicles, except for my motorcycle. And it's not made in American, or in the USA, but it was the best value for what I wanted.

If I only bought American, or only bought USA, my house and shop would be veeeeeery empty! Are there any electronic items made here anymore?

Heck, my US passport is not even assembled in the United States! Blank passports are sent to a company in the Netherlands to add the RFID chip, then it gets sent to Thailand (!!!) where the RFID antennas are installed.

I'm surprised to hear that Toyota and the like are sending all of their money back to the mother land. What are they paying their workers then, salami and crackers??

But I am proud of my 68 C10, even though it doesn't run at the moment. Heck, it's not even assembled. I am proud of my 70 K10, even though it only gets driven once a month or so at best. I am very proud of my 92 Subaru, with it's 30 mpg at 226,000 miles and all. I'm proud of my wife's TrailBlazer, even though it is not 100% USA produced.

My next vehicle will be an Audi A6. Sorry Powell! Sorry USA.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #10
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

I almost never buy new so my car money gets spent in the US no matter what I buy.

(My Toyota is 78% US. btw)
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....

Last edited by panhandler62; 02-19-2009 at 03:04 PM.
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #11
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

Dang GM quality,I have a 94 Sonoma with a 2.2 engine that blew up on me.It made the list of the ten worst motors.I hauled all kinds of stuff around,Even stove pellets a ton at a time.......if you caught it just right you could only get 3rd gear scratch...........can't believe all i got out of it was 221,000
Attached Images

powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #12
leddzepp

Unions are a double edged sword...sometimes they are good, sometimes they are bad. Globalization has done more to ruin this country than anything else.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

When I say that, I mean your in a controlled envorment to a point. If you work on a assembly line you have the one job to do for that station. At least I think that's how it works.
I'm outside, inside working on all kinds of differant equipment.
I have to adapt for whatever work I'm given. Running a nuclear fuel crane to move fuel around, taking a 200,000 ton head off to refuel a reactor vessel or going out and adding 3 oz of oil to a pump motor or tearing it apart to trouble shoot it.
Most of my work is with 18' poles, working under water with nuclear fuel.
I couldn't work in a assembly plant I hate standing in one place all day.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #14
boatpuller

31 years in the union.i wouldn't have it any other way.iv'e noticed in my time on this rock that those opposed to union's,aren't in one.they have some bad points.sure. but,they do alot of good for the members too.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:11 PM   #15
boatpuller

oops,sorry.it wasn't my intent to turn this into a anti vs union post..thought i'd defend the other side though.the original post states are you "".proud of your american made automobile.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #16
Skirkpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
oops,sorry.it wasn't my intent to turn this into a anti vs union post..thought i'd defend the other side though.the original post states are you "".proud of your american made automobile.
Good point. I am sorry please exscuse my ranting, All cars rule, people on the other hand I am not so sure of some times, I am one of those people???? Please forgive me,
Old 02-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #17
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Oops... double post
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 02-19-2009 at 08:36 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #18
67ChevyRedneck

Quote:
seems everything i buy these days
has got a foreign name
from the kind of car i drive
to my video game
i got a nikkon camera
a sony color tee vee
but the one that i love is from the u.s.a.
And standing next to me.

My baby is american made
born and bred in the u.s.a.
From her silky long hair to her sexy long legs
my baby is american made.

She looks good in her tight blue jeans
she bought in mexico
and she loves wearing french perfume
everywhere we go
but when it comes to the lovin' part
one thing is true
my baby's genuine u.s.a.
Project "On a Dime"

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 02-19-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #19
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

If it wasn't for union wages do you think non-union would pay as well. Nope, they keep there wages up to keep unions out. So thank a union if your makin' 20 or more a hour!!
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #20
67ChevyRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel29gm View Post
If it wasn't for union wages do you think non-union would pay as well. Nope, they keep there wages up to keep unions out. So thank a union if your makin' 20 or more a hour!!
So, who do I thank when entire companies say **** this country when operating costs (usually wages) get so high they pack up and leave?

Rhetorical question
Project "On a Dime"

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 02-19-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #21
Skirkpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
So, who do I thank when entire companies say **** this country when operating costs (usually wages) get so high they pack up and leave?

Rhetorical question
Lazy Americans who won't work for 60.00 a week, oh yah, Americans can't live on that can we?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #22
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirkpat View Post
Lazy Americans who won't work for 60.00 a week, oh yah, Americans can't live on that can we?
Toyota line workers and GM line workers take home the same pay but GM has nearly double the labor rate. Unions god? Unions bad? There probably isn't a simple answer to that question but unions are certainly part of the equation that has GM bankrupting one of their lesser divisions today.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:55 AM   #23
Skirkpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandler62 View Post
Toyota line workers and GM line workers take home the same pay but GM has nearly double the labor rate. Unions god? Unions bad? There probably isn't a simple answer to that question but unions are certainly part of the equation that has GM bankrupting one of their lesser divisions today.
I do agree that the Labor contracts are an issue, I will not stick up for the union leadership that has bloated contracts with rediculous benifits. But the truth is that Labor costs are a relatively small amount of the cost of an American car.

"The total labor cost of a new vehicle produced in the United States is about $2,400 which includes direct, indirect and salaried labor for engines, stamping and assembly at the automakers’ plants.

This represents 8.4 percent of the typical $28,4513 price of a new vehicle in 2006. The vast majority of the costs of producing a vehicle and transporting it to a dealership and preparing it for sale – including design, engineering, marketing, raw materials, executive compensation and other costs – are not related to direct or indirect manufacturing labor."
http://www.uaw.org/barg/07fact/fact02.php

All I am trying to say is I love my American Made Cars, Whether it is an import, or Domestic, but given a choice I will stick up for the Domestic brands because they use union Labor....The reason being that Union bargaining is what made Tha U.S. great, and while there are alot of downfalls, I believe it is still the best enviroment for an unskilled Laborer to work. I have alot more to say about American cars but I will spar eyou my long winded ramblings..

Oh and I currently own:

1969 Suburban 2wd
1969 C-30 cab & Chassis (Ramptruck or Shortbed?) 74,000 mi
1995 2500 Extended Cab 4x4 350/700r4 180,000 mi.
2001 HD 2500 4 door SHORTBED 496 big block, Allison Auto 172,000mi
2005 Ford 500 42,000 mi.
1995 E-250 Work Van 164,000 mi
1999 Explorer Sport 2wd 94,000 mi
1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 148,000 mi
AND
2004 Mazda 6 51,000 mi

Luv them all and thanks to the men and women who built them all !!!!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #24
67ChevyRedneck

It cost more than that to fill my truck up last year.
Project "On a Dime"
Old 02-19-2009, 10:02 PM   #25
Skirkpat

it's hard to blame the bean counters who run these companys, if you could buy a new Corvete for 50,ooo or get the exact same thing with a Korean nameplate, for 5,000 which would you buy? Same with Labor.