The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #51
burkeens

Re: The torch is passed.

Wow, I was surprised to see this thread revived. Thanks for your interest, oldblue68.

After reading all the suggestions back when this thread was first posted, I took the advice of just getting to know the truck and enjoying driving it for a while. At one point, I decided to have a really good paint job done on it with a bonus I thought I was going to get at work, but the bonus never materialized, so that went on hold. But since the paint issues are mostly patina rather than rust, I am OK with that for now. I did have the dealership name engraving in the rear farm bumper painted back in. (My uncle had painted over the bumper at some point, but the indents were still there.) I had them repainted in the original red by a sign painter who did a great job. And I put a new set of whitewalls on it.

I thought about putting bigger tires on it, but decided to stay with roughly the original size. I believe it had 215/70R15s on it and I replaced them with a new set of Firestone FR380 whitewall 215R75-15s. I know some folks think that looks to small, and it does look odd compared to a new model truck, but I like the originality of it and more importantly, this is the way I always remember the truck looking. The truck still has the original spare underneath, so there is something to compare to.

Unless I get an unexpected pile of money soon, my next projects are going to be small. I probably will get a seat cover, maybe one of those saddle blanket kinds. The seat is in great condition, so I don't want to mar it. And I probably will have the same guy that repainted the bumper lettering to repaint the wheel covers. I might try the original alternate wheel covers, too, the smaller argent silver ones. My uncle had saved those and gave them to me recently. Maybe I will also put the original west coast mirrors on, too.

I am keeping it garaged indoors, but I take it out at least once a week when it's not raining. I have hauled 2 or 3 loads in it, but mostly I just drive it for fun and to keep avoid decay. Mechanically, the 307 still starts on the first turn and purrs. (When cold, I have to pull out the choke first.) I am definitely keeping the 3 speed on the column. I've really taken to that and want to keep that original. And I have kept the drum brakes. They work just fine for what they are and I drive it conservatively, allowing for plenty of stopping room, to the extent that is under my control.

Otherwise, I would like to put in 3-point seatbelts, particularly so my son can ride with me. (He did that some when I could buckle in his carseat using the lap belts, but now that he has moved to a booster seat, he will need a 3-point belt.) The truck probably will be his some day and really likes to ride in it, and even just to sit in it when it is parked. I feel a little bad that he will never know the truck the way I did growing up, riding down the highway and across my uncle's farm on the rear wheelwell, but I guess safety is more important.

I'd also like to redo all the window seals and felt, but that's another project that will depend upon funds and time. Maybe I should also replace the rear view mirror, which has lost of if its reflectiveness. And maybe even the windshield, which has clouded a little on the edges.

See, now you've made me think again about all the projects I would like to do. (My wife will not be happy.) But seriously, I have really enjoyed this board and learned a lot from all of you. Thanks very much.

Anyway, I will try to take more photos this weekend and post them soon. Thanks for the interest.

P.S. prariewolf, where in the lower cab corners are you recommending drilling the small holes? Do you have a photo of that? I didn't know about the cowl drain, so I will look for that, too. Thanks.
burkeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #52
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

I think you gotta wonderful plan!!!!!! More pictures though!

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #53
prairewolf

Hi burkeens, ... the rust points I was talking about are the same on all these trucks it seems, ... anyplace water can get in and sit and start working on the metal, they all seem to rust from inside out. ...lower parts of doors,fenders,cab corners etc. ..... and a good thread was on here a while back about rust prevention. ... not everyone can keep there truck always dry so it was helpful. .... part of the rusting from inside out might be from it being bare metal but I bet it is mostly moisture. ...my pictures just show the start of it. ...... my Idea for drilling a small drain hole just makes sense to me, It may not to someone else, I am keeping the truck forever so far so it will work.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2011, 11:34 PM   #54
litew8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
get it running driving and LEAVE IT ALONE
But first... check the underside for rust to repair. Love the LWB!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #55
litew8

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkeens View Post
Anyway, I will try to take more photos this weekend and post them soon. Thanks for the interest.

P.S. prariewolf, where in the lower cab corners are you recommending drilling the small holes? Do you have a photo of that? I didn't know about the cowl drain, so I will look for that, too. Thanks.
Read your post above and everything you mention sounds very good! While you are investigating your cab corners, look at your cab mount bushings (front/rear)!!! I bet they are totally squashed and you should consider replacing them (and the radiator support bushings in conjunction). Consider going original rubber for them.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #56
burkeens

Sorry this is like a year late, but here are the promised photos.
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #57
burkeens

a few more
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #58
burkeens

underneath
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #59
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I'm glad to see you have left it as it was. I wouldn't do anything to change the stock appearance of the truck including paint. Your truck even has the original factory crayon markings on the firewall and if you paint the truck they will be gone. If you want to change it up a bit you can do things that can be easily reversed like put different wheels, rallys for instance, and if yoiu relaced the cracked dash pad that wouldn't change the trucks appearance. You could also change the dash to une with gauges. These trucks are never done and remember, its yours to do with as you please and I'm sure you already know you can get all the advice and help you ned for your truck from the board members here.You mentioned putting shoulder belts in for your son which makes me thing 20/25/30/35 years from wouldn't it be cool to hand over the title to your son.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #60
David67

That patina is perfect. My favorite color combo. Remember, you can never get that patina back if it were to get painted.

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015

IG: david_r67
David67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #61
50bomb

I have always liked your truck alot. You did good keeping it untouched and leaving it a LONGBED IS WAY COOLER TOO!
Old 06-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #62
burkeens

Thanks guys. I have gotten a lot of good advice here.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:09 AM   #63
cleanfreak

Thanks for the new pics , real nice to se a survivor survive! Any body else notice the 67 armrests? I thought they were 67 only , any thoughts?
cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:10 AM   #64
sanford66

Nice truck, looks like it has cruise control on it! If so that would be pretty rare. I think you have maintaned it well! I would leave it as is, love it. Joseph
1954 Delray 2-door sedan [rat rod project]
sanford66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #65
burkeens

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanfreak View Post
Thanks for the new pics , real nice to se a survivor survive! Any body else notice the 67 armrests? I thought they were 67 only , any thoughts?
I didn't know they were 67 only. I know he bought it in the fall of 67 when the 68s first came out, so perhaps some of the early 68s had those armrests. Not sure.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #66
burkeens

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanford66 View Post
looks like it has cruise control on it! If so that would be pretty rare.
No cruise control. The third knob in the cluster is for the manual choke. It does not have a throttle knob.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #67
Rusbuilt

Nice!!! I live in Nashville too, maybe we can help you out some!
Rusbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #68
rkn463

I agree with all that said leave the paint alone (other than buffing it out). If it were mine I would do the power disk brakes. As for the gas tank in my opinion you can have your cake and eat it too. Put an under bed tank in it, remove the original tank and leave the filler in it, but cap the bottom and epoxy the cap on so that noone can ever put gas in the cab . That way you keep the original looks, get the additional saftey and convenience of getting it out of the cab and if you ever want to put it back stock it is a no-brainer to do so. With all of my vehicles I keep my modifcations to stuff that can be undone as easily as it was done in the first place. Just my two cents worth. And congrats on an awesome survivor!

-Richard

Wow, just realized this was an old thread!

Last edited by rkn463; 06-09-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: correction
rkn463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #69
chevy72blu

Yep, old thread. but someone already bumped it!

I am usually not a fan of the patina look but I absolute LOVE it on that truck. Not too in your face - just subtlely shows her age. I really dig the look.

If it were mine (and its not), i'd lower it a few inches, replace the dash pad, and drive the wheels off of it.

Your uncle took GREAT care of that thing.
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #70
sleepingbag

That is one beautiful old lady, glad you left her original.(and I am not stuck on leaving a truck original!)
sleepingbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:04 PM   #71
burkeens

A quick update for this old thread.

Thank you for all the good tips I received from this board.

I did drive the truck for a few years without any updates or modifications, and am happy I did that. However, I did not have a garage, so I had to keep it outdoors. Although it was kept covered, it was starting to develop more rust and bare spots.

So I decided to try to return her to a more original state. I also did so in the hope that my uncle would be able to see the truck looking new again. I had been collecting NOS and other parts along the way, knowing I probably would do this at some point.

I originally entrusted the truck to a local small shop, but six months in, no progress had been made. So I took the truck back and later took it to a more established shop. They were able to complete the job, with me doing parts sourcing and ordering to save some time and money.

Unfortunately, I lost my uncle in the meantime. I think he would have liked the finished product, and I will drive it in his memory. I tried to bring it as close to original as possible, including putting the original West Coast Jr. mirrors back on that have sat on a shelf for 45 years. My one accommodation was new shoulder belts instead of the original lap belts. Otherwise, it is essentially returned to stock features (still manual drum brakes, manual choke, original gas tank placement, etc.).

Anyway, here is the finished product. The good news is I now have indoor storage for the truck, so hopefully I can keep it in good condition.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #72
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Let me be the first to say WOW, very nice! Also, condolences to the family regarding your uncle.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:21 PM   #73
Ed F

I'll second the "wow"! Very nice truck!
Ed F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:43 PM   #74
35boulder

I have to say it too...WOW. Just read thru the post you did your uncle proud on this one. Very cool.
35boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:45 PM   #75
tommys72

Beautiful!!!

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote