The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
kevmic28

Vapor lock issues.

350 with stock intake and rochester 4bbl carb.
Temps outside 100 plus Im getting vapor lock. New glass fuel filter between mechanical pump and carb, so I can see that when it stumbles and dies in the driveway the filter is empty.
Carb has started stumbling on accel. Like its cold or fuel starvation.
I put a new coil and plugs on this weekend and also a new water pump because I noticed temps a little high and some seepage. Cap and rotor seem like the are good.
The problem I am having have been going on for a while but getting worse with the heat. I think the plugs and coil helped to keep it from dying at stop lights because it stopped. It idles fine now but seems like it is still fuel starvation on accel.
Saturday after a 180 mile drive it stumbled and died as I pulled into the drive way. Normally I can floor the gas pedal and start it back up. But this day I could not. Got out and the filter was empty and I could hear the gas boiling in the carb.

I have been reading a lot on here about phenolic spacers for carbs helping with the gas boiling issues but none that I have seen delt with a rochester carb boiling. I have the stock spacer that is about 1/4 inches thick on it now. So I am stumped..... Thinking maybe the fuel line was getting to hot by the block and the water hoses I temporarily re routed the line away from them to see if that stopped the problem. It may have helped but not sure. Fuel pump is about 9 months old, mechanical and I was thinking maybe its bad and causing the fuel starvation and vapor lock but I am leaning towards the spacer needing to be thicker to solve this.
I am kinda rambling here to think out loud so I would appreciate any ideas yall have.

Cause this is driving me nuts.

Last edited by kevmic28; 08-02-2010 at 10:11 PM.
kevmic28 is offline   Reply With Quote