The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2017, 05:47 PM   #1
The Rocknrod

Re: Window felt weatherstrip (beltline weatherstrip)

Okay, try this: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=686833 Should be post #6 and 17.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Okay, try this: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=686833 Should be post #6 and 17.
I am the author of post #6 mentioned above, and although raising the glass higher in bottom u-channel helped, I am still not happy with the way the glass fits in the upper seals. Like the other folks who posted here, the bottom channel still hits the outside fuzzy and the window does not go high enough. I am interested to know if the Repops beltline weather stirps are the answer. I used Precision strips, and in addition to the problem of restricting the window from being rolled all the way up, half of the clips broke when pressing them into the slots. I had to cannibalize my original sweeps for replacement clips.
Metalaroundstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:20 AM   #3
The Rocknrod

Yes sir, I'm dreading getting to this stage.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:51 PM   #4
Heater63

Thank you fellow Texans. I am sidetracked with work for a few weeks, but will post a follow up when I get a chance to address this again. For now, I just popped the outer fuzzy out so it won't bind. I'm not driving the truck yet so it's not a big deal at the moment.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:25 PM   #5
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Yes sir, I'm dreading getting to this stage.
And with good reason.

I just finished the passenger door on the '63. I used Precision rubber on the vent window, divider bar and the glass seal as well. All went in fine and fit well. The belt line seals are a bit more difficult though. They are a bit thicker (from the metal backing to the fuzz) and not as wide (from top to bottom) as the originals. In addition, they seem to sit almost 3/16 to 1/4" lower in the door than the originals. I think that it may be in part due to combined differences in the clips themselves and the narrower cross section.

I assembled the door with new weather stripping and left out the belt line stripping. I then tried rolling the window up and it went up all of the way into the upper glass channel. I then installed the belt strips and tried again. No go.

I did however get the window to roll all of the way up.

While the door was apart, I noticed that the regulator was worn among other parts. I was going to replace the manual regs but saw an opportunity to install power regulators (which I have wanted to do for a long time now). I went with the Nurelics set. With the door still off of the truck and my battery jumper pack connected to the power regulator, the window went up smoothly until the window channel hit the belt line. It forced through the belt line and seated in the upper window channel, closing completely.

I have only had the window up and down a few times so far (haven't finished the wiring) but it didn't seem to put much if any noticeable extra strain on the window motor and seemed as if the lower window channel spread the belt line stripping apart as it went up. I will see once Im using them more how everything holds up. It may just wear away some of the "fuzz" over repeated use or may end up snapping the clips off of the belt strips in which case Ill be back to square one.

I had thought of re lining the original belt striping (after I destroyed them on removal) with new felt or fuzz and wondered if anyone has done this or had thought about doing it?

The doors do close much better than before and the vent windows seal up nicely now. The window channels work great so far but the belt line weather stripping doesn't even come close to working right. Time will tell how they hold up.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:01 PM   #6
andyh1956

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe some "LOOP" portion of some industrial strength Velcro?
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #7
shp4man

The window won't close completely because the bracket on the outside of the lower window frame (2 of them) hits on the new fuzzy. The solution is figure out where those two brackets hit and grind the new outside only Chinese fuzzy so the window will close. The clips are so cheap that you can't take it off and on too many times or it breaks.
Good luck. Love that Chinese stuff!
Old 05-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #8
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by shp4man View Post
The window won't close completely because the bracket on the outside of the lower window frame (2 of them) hits on the new fuzzy. The solution is figure out where those two brackets hit and grind the new outside only Chinese fuzzy so the window will close. The clips are so cheap that you can't take it off and on too many times or it breaks.
Good luck. Love that Chinese stuff!
It may be Chinese made but someone in the states is engineering them incorrectly. You can have anything made incorrectly anywhere in the world.
That someone (I will not name companies here) puts a year make on a part and that part is sold all over the country. Just so happens we have a forum to vent on.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:47 AM   #9
forestb

It might also have to with model years. A company that makes good ones for a 64 might not make good ones for a 62.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #10
forestb

So precision sent me a set of belt line fuzzies. I have not gotten a chance to instill them yet but the clips look just like the originals.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2019, 11:39 AM   #11
blackula72

Hi all
just completed installing both door beltline weatherstripping.
I must say after 2 prior attempts of installing products from OER, Steele, I have found Repops brand to be the the best quality.
Pliable rubber, sturdy clips, and straight as an arrow. Minor trimming and shaving for good install.
First time using Repops brand, was happy with quality.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:06 PM   #12
RBW

Excellent news! Thanks for posting. I'll be ordering a set.
RBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:07 PM   #13
vet57air

So this thread is a couple of years old now. Wondering if the "Repop" brand of window fuzzies is still best?
vet57air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:25 PM   #14
karlbenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vet57air View Post
So this thread is a couple of years old now. Wondering if the "Repop" brand of window fuzzies is still best?
Just checked them out. Guess you have to call for prices and ordering?
karlbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:45 PM   #15
forestb

I found that all the ones that I tried did not work for me. I especially don’t recommend the Steel Rubber products version. I ended up removing the clips and raising them up to run flush with the window opening and using screws to attach them. I also removed the glass from the channel and ground off some excess metal and pinched the channel and used a glass setting material to install the glass in the channel. At the same time installing the glass in the channel a little higher in the channel than before. It all works vary well now and does not bulge out my sheet metal when I roll up my window. On the passenger side all I had to do is use screws on the fuzzies. I did not have the touch the channel and the glass.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:07 AM   #16
The Rocknrod

The precision units worked for me. After I made sure the mounting flanges were bent outward.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:03 AM   #17
fleetman

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
I know this has been discussed before but I can't find the thread. Where is the best place to get the Window felt weatherstrip (beltline weatherstrip) for the side windows?

People have said that buying the Window felt weatherstrips not in the a kit are better quality than the ones in the kit but I can't remember what company they were talking about.

I got the Side window run channel kit from Steele Rubber and the Window felt weatherstrip was horrible. The little stainless peace that runs along the bottom of the window is painted black and does not sit above the door but instead inside the door. (just because you pay a lot does not mean you will get a quality product.
try precision. check them out on utube.
fleetman is offline   Reply With Quote