The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #51
menace121978

Re: new wheel tire choice?

nice job Joseph! looks like you got busy last night

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #52
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

I have been looking in on this post and have not said anything because Ken has been doing a good job with helping you out. But when I saw this pic and said we have gone from wheels to now paint? That's ok, but you don't have to make such a big change, but this pic shows off the gray wheels very nicely. If you go with gray wheel this look makes it.
Attached Images

tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #53
jdurant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvblazer78 View Post
I have been looking in on this post and have not said anything because Ken has been doing a good job with helping you out. But when I saw this pic and said we have gone from wheels to now paint? That's ok, but you don't have to make such a big change, but this pic shows off the gray wheels very nicely. If you go with gray wheel this look makes it.
I struggled with whether I should even post those. I hope I didn't step on any toes. I just thought it would look good, and thought you guys would probably like to see it too. Since ehman said, "jdurant, go hard with some photochoppin! i need more ideas!!! (..or inspiration)", I figured it would be ok.

That one is my favorite too. I actually planned to work on it some more in the next few days.
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd

Last edited by jdurant; 08-26-2009 at 12:46 PM.
jdurant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #54
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by steemin_ehman View Post

that is another thought of mine, only using the "smoothies" as a starting point. however, i dont think very many options are available regarding offsets and widths. this is affecting my overall decision!
There is always the custom wheel spacer option to make the less expensive CL's work. There are some pretty tough ones out there now that can handle the abuse of auto cross racing & rock crawling so they should be able to handle a little spirited driving on the street.

The smoothies would definitely be a better starting point for a one-off budget conscious wheel.
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #55
steemin_ehman
False Lies

Quote:
"But when I saw this pic and said we have gone from wheels to now paint? That's ok, but you don't have to make such a big change, but this pic shows off the gray wheels very nicely. If you go with gray wheel this look makes it."
i wasnt initially thinking paint, but totally agree that the grey two-tone sets off the wheels perfectly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurant View Post
"I struggled with whether I should even post those. I hope I didn't step on any toes."
joseph, you continue to amaze me! wow, now you got me thinking paint as well... i had initial thoughts of two-tone, but was thinking a cream color.. but if i went with grey wheels, the grey looks awesome!! im open to creativity, keep 'em coming, im loving it!

the chops are in the right hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
"There is always the custom wheel spacer option to make the less expensive CL's work."
im definately looking into it.. and the possibility of widthening the rim to create a deeper dish for the rear...

-1979 Chevy CCLB, 6.7L Cummins swap - Project "RAMERADO"
-2015 Yukon XL Denali (Family ride)
-1977 Chevy stepside, carb'ed vortec 350 (SOLD)
-Father of three daughters who will also have something cool...
steemin_ehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #56
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Center Line used to be pretty open to custom requests. Give them a call and see what they say.

Just don't tell them you are going to cut them up or they may give you some legal mumbo jumbo about DOT approval and the like & not cooperate with you.

As long as you don't go nuts with removing material and stick close to what some of their other wheels have for rib sizes you should be OK.

Chances are they start with that same smoothie wheel to make a few of their other designs. They usually make several wheels in a series from a common base wheel.

Last edited by 68 TT; 08-26-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #57
jdurant

Quote:
i wasnt initially thinking paint, but totally agree that the grey two-tone sets off the wheels perfectly...

joseph, you continue to amaze me! wow, now you got me thinking paint as well... i had initial thoughts of two-tone, but was thinking a cream color.. but if i went with grey wheels, the grey looks awesome!! im open to creativity, keep 'em coming, im loving it!

the chops are in the right hands.
Thanks! I'm really glad you like it.
It's easy for me to spend other people's money.
I was thinking cream too. I wanna do it like that one, but cream with cream colored big rallies to see what it would look like. I think that paint scheme will kinda pull it all together if you wanna do the rallies especially grey, maybe cream. I love orange and grey together.

Ps.-- if you do a two tone with cream. We'll be able to call it the Dreamscicle (sp?)---mmm...Sweet.
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd

Last edited by N2TRUX; 08-26-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #58
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

White looks really good for an accent color on hugger orange. A friend has a hugger orange 69 Z/28 with white stripes. They look great together.

Give white a try for the paint & wheel centers.

You could also add a pair of Z/28 style hood stripes to match the side panel. Maybe even a cowl hood to go with it.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:00 PM   #59
steemin_ehman
False Lies

what about the two-tone being a "matt" color.. as in not shiny. give it some depth? ...also this way, i may be able to get away with a vinyl decal... one that would be alot cheaper, and that could be removed in the future if i decide to. if the decal is a matt color, it may hide the fact that it is a decal... or just look cheap all together lol. damn, the more i look at the two-tone, the more i like it. its already an expensive paint job, as its a pearl paint... lamborghini orange... oh to have an unlimited supply of money, the things a guy could do...

Last edited by steemin_ehman; 08-26-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #60
Chlsnk

This can give ya something to think about the MOPAR Cuda had matte black decals on the sides. and it looks pretty timeless.

Also just a thought you could add something like C-10 or your engine size into your decals.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #61
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Quote:
I struggled with whether I should even post those. I hope I didn't step on any toes. I just thought it would look good, and thought you guys would probably like to see it too. Since ehman said, "jdurant, go hard with some photochoppin! i need more ideas!!! (..or inspiration)", I figured it would be ok.

That one is my favorite too. I actually planned to work on it some more in the next few days.

Joseph,

Your a big help on here so don't think I was giving you a hard time. It's all good man keep it up..
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #62
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
what about the two-tone being a "matt" color.. as in not shiny. give it some depth? ...also this way, i may be able to get away with a vinyl decal......
Funny you mention this. That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the chop. You could go with vinyl graphics and this cost would be minimal.

How about a different Coy wheel...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:02 AM   #63
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Ok, one more. Since you like the bronze color Joseph is using, I couldn't resist posting these. The ad says they are a "prismatic" bronze...

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 08-27-2009, 12:13 AM   #64
menace121978

sorry Ken. not really 'clean' enough for that truck imo... i like those smooth 5 spoke from coy's. i'll see if i can find a pic...

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E

Old 08-27-2009, 12:18 AM   #65
menace121978

there3 on the coy's website called intro v-rod

Last edited by menace121978; 08-27-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:19 AM   #66
steemin_ehman
False Lies

oooo... i like...

Old 08-27-2009, 01:32 AM   #67
jdurant

Quote:
what about the two-tone being a "matt" color.. as in not shiny. give it some depth? ...also this way, i may be able to get away with a vinyl decal... one that would be alot cheaper, and that could be removed in the future if i decide to. if the decal is a matt color, it may hide the fact that it is a decal... or just look cheap all together lol. damn, the more i look at the two-tone, the more i like it. its already an expensive paint job, as its a pearl paint... lamborghini orange... oh to have an unlimited supply of money, the things a guy could do...
Man, get out of my head. I was thinking the same thing about the matte finish. I figured it would almost look 3D. I noticed when altering the color just how much depth there is in that orange. However, the one with the kinesis wheels was sort of a set up for this one.

And I don't know if you can do that in vinyl.
I like the other color better, and kinda like the placement of the color a little better on the earlier one, which if I had to describe I would say gray with a little brown, a touch of red, and a drop of blue.
But I like the pinstripe on this one.

Quote:
Joseph,

Your a big help on here so don't think I was giving you a hard time. It's all good man keep it up..
Thanks.
Heres a couple more:

How's this for different?

Still got a couple tricks up my sleeve...to be continued
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
Old 08-27-2009, 02:44 AM   #68
steemin_ehman
False Lies

i like the chops... the factory style grill helps place the big rallys... same with the missing spoiler... lol i know alot of you guys dont like it up there. but as far as the rallys go, i think this is a little more to scale, no? (hub caps)

ps. i love the pin-stripe with the two tone. man im seriously thinking about the two tone. damn you lol
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #69
menace121978

those ralleys w/ the stock grille are SICK!! do it!!

Old 08-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #70
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace121978 View Post
those ralleys w/ the stock grille are SICK!!
I agree, those do make me sick.

The gray stripes accents look good. Those rallies and stock grill look great if you want to take three giant steps backwards. As mentioned above, the rallies look good (to some) on Josephs Blazer because it has a stock appearence. Trying to "force" that style on a full custom truck is not working.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 08-27-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #71
menace121978

i deserve that one! i almost edited that this morning...

fwiw i still like the intro's i posted and the ever popular c-5's

Last edited by menace121978; 08-27-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #72
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

The rally's just don't fit the look of that truck.

Even at a larger size unless they are 20"+ and blatantly obvious that they are not stock it will just make the truck look unfinished like you are still saving up for the wheels you really want.

They would look great on a fairly stock looking truck but just not on this one.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #73
jdurant

Quote:
i like the chops... the factory style grill helps place the big rallys... same with the missing spoiler... lol i know alot of you guys dont like it up there. but as far as the rallys go, i think this is a little more to scale, no? (hub caps)

ps. i love the pin-stripe with the two tone. man im seriously thinking about the two tone. damn you lol
Yes, the center caps are a little more to scale. Good thinkin'. I see you made that rear tire even bigger and deeper--Jeez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I agree, those do make me sick.

The gray stripes accents look good. Those rallies and stock grill look great if you want to take three giant steps backwards. As mentioned above, the rallies look good (to some) on Josephs Blazer because it has a stock appearence. Trying to "force" that style on a full custom truck is not working.
I've looked at these chops a couple of times today and I normally don't like to agree with Ken, because everybody else always does.... But I don't think they really go that well. The finished product would be a little different, so you gotta use your imagination still, but not different enough IMO. Of course there is that other option that we spoke about.

There are a couple of other wheels that I still wanna try that I think will look
fantastic. Hopefully I'll have time for another session tonight.

What did yall think of the grey panel on the rollpan????
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
Old 08-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #74
3r!c84
Badass

Quote:
Man, get out of my head. I was thinking the same thing about the matte finish. I figured it would almost look 3D. I noticed when altering the color just how much depth there is in that orange. However, the one with the kinesis wheels was sort of a set up for this one.

And I don't know if you can do that in vinyl.
I like the other color better, and kinda like the placement of the color a little better on the earlier one, which if I had to describe I would say gray with a little brown, a touch of red, and a drop of blue.
But I like the pinstripe on this one.

Thanks.
Heres a couple more:

How's this for different?

Still got a couple tricks up my sleeve...to be continued
man your good on photoshop
u gotta do a pic of mine

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #75
steemin_ehman
False Lies

Quote:
"I've looked at these chops a couple of times today and I normally don't like to agree with Ken, because everybody else always does...."

"What did yall think of the grey panel on the rollpan????"
lol yeah, the more i look at the picture with the rally's, the more and more i agree with ken. my truck is asking for some low-pro mag-wheels. im thinking full chrome (without two-tone), or grey center (with grey semi-gloss two-tone)...with a matching semi-gloss grey, shaved & smoothed engine compartment... and lotsa chrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
ken, i agree. there, i joined the bandwagon! lol seriously, you strike an extremely good point, and one i think most everybody agrees on. (including me) it would need to be a stock-looking truck to make 'em work. i think im ditchin the big rally's... or at least putting the idea on the shelf for a future project???

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace121978 View Post
:"i still like the intro's i posted and the ever popular c-5's"
i do as well... i think im crossing out the c-5. although they look really good, especially for the price and wide size selection, their kinda cliché. IMO. however the intro's are very sweet looking... just lacking on size availability.