The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2009, 11:03 PM   #51
Rollinsqrbdy

Re: 6" Lift or 8" Lift Suspension? HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnit3 View Post
We obviously have 2 different opinions of offroading.. the kind I do requires airing down.. and your 18" dont like to hold beads very well.. and i dont believe I said anything about 15s being superior, but thanks
Well my 18" handle mud, and bolders just fine and if i remember rite alot of them PROFESSIONAL rock climbers use 17, 18, and even 20's bud. Also if i remember bead locks come in a few other sizes other than 15", but thanks
1984 k 10 Silverado...6" lift with 38.5 super swampers
New Mexico Member
--- Member of the Square Body Club---
Rollinsqrbdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:42 PM   #52
Eturnit3
Bloodied Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollinsqrbdy View Post
Well my 18" handle mud, and bolders just fine and if i remember rite alot of them PROFESSIONAL rock climbers use 17, 18, and even 20's bud. Also if i remember bead locks come in a few other sizes other than 15", but thanks
but do they run 35"s?
Eturnit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:37 PM   #53
OYMC
Account Suspended

So, I was at Les Schwab the other day, talking with a few buddies about wheel and tire combos.

This guy "Eturnit3" has been driving me nuts with his high and mighty, matter of fact opinion in running 15" wheels, and blowing bead issues...

After discussing this character and his feed back with my buddies, they all laughed, and we began to go through all the 16, 17, 18, 20, and 22" wheels.

Our conclusions determined that only the design of the 16.5" wheel has a slightly angled tire bead seat. All other wheels have a 90 degree seats.

16.5" wheels are known to be bad wheelin' wheels, do to their poor design. They are notorious for blowing beads when aired down.

One guy, who is a very avid wheeler, who also works at Les Schwab, has a 1985 Toyota with 40" Super Swamper Iroks and 20" wheels.

We measured the height of the tire side wall on his tire and wheel combination, and found that it nearly matched the side wall measurements of a 35" tire on 15" wheel.

The height of the tire side wall is ultimately what determines its ability to flatten or its track surface (The size of the tires foot print).

The bigger the foot print = better traction (Daaa)

In conclusion, if the design of both a 15" and a 16, 17, 18, 20 or even 22" wheel are identical, the ability to hold a bead is also the same. If a 40" tire on a 20" wheel creates the same foot print as a 35" tire on a 15" wheel, you have "zero" difference in traction...

I would agree that a 35" tire on a 18" wheel would not be as effective as a 35" tire on a 15" wheel (Foot Print size), for off roading purposes. But that wasn't the debate... I want a 18" wheel on a 38" tire, which is practically the same size side wall height as a 35" tire on a 15" wheel...

I am also not building a "Wheeler". Just out of curiosity, does anyone on this site object (Not that it matters) to building a clean, classic 4X4 with the intended purpose of looking good, and staying clean?

The responses to "Eturnit3" Ass-umption of the best wheel tire combo for wheelin' have all but proving this point...

There are many options, and not just one works!
OYMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:09 PM   #54
Brandoneh

I got 18's on my 35's and I think it looks great! Perfect Rubber to Rim look.

Looking to put 20's on some 44's on the Blazer. Had the 38's but sold them for the 3/4 ton setup.

I think 18's on 38's or 20's on 38's would look great man! GO FOR IT!
Old 07-31-2009, 08:12 PM   #55
Rollinsqrbdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnit3 View Post
but do they run 35"s?
Im sure they do in some classes. Get over it !
1984 k 10 Silverado...6" lift with 38.5 super swampers
New Mexico Member
--- Member of the Square Body Club---
Rollinsqrbdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:23 PM   #56
onlyifihadachevy

yes the rubber to rim on the titan looks good but i was stating on the old 67-72 body style they don't look right.

72 gmc 2500 2wd drive convert

My 72 thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=346712

THe other truck, wheeler 69 1/2 4x4, yellow and rusty.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=350300
onlyifihadachevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #57
71GMChevy

In Conclusion... I'd like to point out that this actually still is a free country, although maybe not for long... which means that everyone is entitled to their own opinions and you should take them as such.

Here is the link to look up opinion for those who do not understand what an opinion is:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/opinion

Nobody is wrong and nobody is right when it comes to rim/tire/lift decisions. Simply gather the facts and make a careful calculated decision based upon said gathered facts.

Here is the link to look up fact for those who do not understand what a fact is:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fact

It is up to you to make the best decision for you. Don't get upset over someone else's opinion. All you are going to do is scare them further down their own rabbit hole. There is obviously two majorly different opinions on what rim/tire size. Figure out what you like and go for it. Being from SoCal, I am assuming, you have a different sense of style and taste than the rest of the country, as do I. I can appreciate the 22" rims on 44" tires with powdercoated EVERYTHING. However, I would never put big rims on a truck I was planning on using off-road. Being a Baja racer myself, I cannot understand why anyone would put big rims on an off-road car/truck. But seeing as your truck will be a pavement pounder, WHOCARES. It looks good to you, do it. By the way, here is the article for that black truck. It's a sick truck and that lift should be really nice for you on-road. It will ride smooth. Good Luck, Have Fun, and most importantly, POST PICTURES.
http://www.truckinweb.com/features/0...k10/index.html
71GMChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #58
Eturnit3
Bloodied Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYMC View Post
So, I was at Les Schwab the other day, talking with a few buddies about wheel and tire combos.

This guy "Eturnit3" has been driving me nuts with his high and mighty, matter of fact opinion in running 15" wheels, and blowing bead issues...

After discussing this character and his feed back with my buddies, they all laughed, and we began to go through all the 16, 17, 18, 20, and 22" wheels.

Our conclusions determined that only the design of the 16.5" wheel has a slightly angled tire bead seat. All other wheels have a 90 degree seats.

16.5" wheels are known to be bad wheelin' wheels, do to their poor design. They are notorious for blowing beads when aired down.

One guy, who is a very avid wheeler, who also works at Les Schwab, has a 1985 Toyota with 40" Super Swamper Iroks and 20" wheels.

We measured the height of the tire side wall on his tire and wheel combination, and found that it nearly matched the side wall measurements of a 35" tire on 15" wheel.

The height of the tire side wall is ultimately what determines its ability to flatten or its track surface (The size of the tires foot print).

The bigger the foot print = better traction (Daaa)

In conclusion, if the design of both a 15" and a 16, 17, 18, 20 or even 22" wheel are identical, the ability to hold a bead is also the same. If a 40" tire on a 20" wheel creates the same foot print as a 35" tire on a 15" wheel, you have "zero" difference in traction...

I would agree that a 35" tire on a 18" wheel would not be as effective as a 35" tire on a 15" wheel (Foot Print size), for off roading purposes. But that wasn't the debate... I want a 18" wheel on a 38" tire, which is practically the same size side wall height as a 35" tire on a 15" wheel...

I am also not building a "Wheeler". Just out of curiosity, does anyone on this site object (Not that it matters) to building a clean, classic 4X4 with the intended purpose of looking good, and staying clean?

The responses to "Eturnit3" Ass-umption of the best wheel tire combo for wheelin' have all but proving this point...

There are many options, and not just one works!
I never intended to be hi and mighty.. you have just taken my difference in opinion to heart.. You are absolutely right about sidewall difference in 35x15s-38x18s.. I think you just didnt like the whole mall crawler comment and you have went way beyond the original topic at hand.. so you and your buddies from les schwab... if they were to say come on out to werock next weekend www.norcalrockracing.com maybe we could talk about it there? You can see what real wheelers run...
Old 08-06-2009, 12:52 AM   #59
sighlurr

You gotta go with 70's, son!
Attached Images

sighlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:55 AM   #60
Eturnit3
Bloodied Knuckles

bwahahaha
Old 08-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #61
dbmx66

def get the 8inch!
dbmx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #62
onlyifihadachevy

HE got the 8in a while a go did you put the lift on it yet?

72 gmc 2500 2wd drive convert

My 72 thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=346712

THe other truck, wheeler 69 1/2 4x4, yellow and rusty.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=350300
onlyifihadachevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:55 AM   #63
blazin

here is my 72 blazer.. no lift, 18 inch rims and 33-12.50's. its a money pit as it is. im sure as hell not going to take if off road. its a weekend crusier. im putting a 6 inch lift in it this weekend. but still going to be a weekend/summer road cruser.

Last edited by blazin; 08-26-2009 at 12:56 AM. Reason: no pic
blazin is offline   Reply With Quote