The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2009, 07:58 PM   #51
mr48chev

Re: Seat Belts -n- Seat Belt Tickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteSS454 View Post
I myself don't wear my lap belt. Anyone else that gets in my truck does but when I get pulled over I inconspicuously buckle it real quick. It sucks trying to get out of the truck when you're being held in and fall out the side like I have before. Plus, most things on the roads around me are little tin cans that would peel back if my truck even touched them.
Trust me it sucks a lot more if you get thrown around inside the truck if an when it rolls I did and packed the bruises from being bounced around for several years when My 70 long bed rolled in 1989. I had gotten in a hurry and didn't fasten my belt. I was very lucky not to be thrown out and have the truck land on me.

Seat belts saved my life twice in Viet Nam in two helicopter crashes. The first time I looked down after being in the air for 20 minutes and discovered that I hadn't fastened the belt/harness. less than a half hour later we crashed in tall trees and were hanging upside down about five feet off the ground.

When I rolled the truck I was just a mile from my house and a gal pulled out in my lane and waited for traffic to go by in the other direction. I missed her and hit loose gravel and spun and then rolled over a bank into a pasture.

In this state we have a manditory seat belt law but in this county we loose at least one person a week on the average due to being thrown out of a vehicle when it rolls. For some reason they are usually young, female, Hispanic and attractive, or they photo in the obits show that they had been.

When I was working as a mechanic in different shops in Texas an Washington in the 70's I couldn't count the number of cars I got in and found no seat belts and the owner bragged how he had cut them out because he didn't like them. For some reason those guys were almost always the age I am now.

That said, the biggest ongoing battle I have with my wife is that she doesn't like to wear seat belts. She has had at least two no seat belt tickets that I know of and I keep telling her that I don't want to have to call her mother to tell her that she got hurt or killed because she didn't have one on.

Last edited by mr48chev; 05-14-2009 at 07:58 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:09 PM   #52
leddzepp

I was in an accident in one of my CJ's Aug 22, 1996. It rolled over, and I was thrown from it. If I had been wearing a seat-belt, I would have been crushed inside the vehicle and killed. The windshield folded back into the drivers area, and the dash and steering column destroyed the entire drivers seat.

This is a one-in-a-million shot that wearing a seat-belt would have been fatal...even the cops on scene had to agree. Most of the time however, this is not the case.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:17 PM   #53
americanmusc1e

crazy question, but why is there a convienent threaded hole right in the right place for a shoulder belt. What was that hole for originally?????????????????

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:35 PM   #54
tim21391

i past a cop doin 70 one day and he did the same to me... that and suspected my window tint was to dark. he was wrong on both..
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:19 AM   #55
drivethechevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanmusc1e View Post
crazy question, but why is there a convienent threaded hole right in the right place for a shoulder belt. What was that hole for originally?????????????????
that hole is there for the shoulder belts that were an option in our trucks, how ever i have only seen one truck that originaly had that option, but it didnt have the belts

i was in a pretty bad accident in my car last fall and me my friend and my little brother were all not wearing our seatbelts and all 3 of us were very very lucky that we came out of it all with a few buises and a little sore, but ecause of that and ecause of the other vehicle involved i will never ride in a vehicle without my belt, and no one can ride in my vehicles without there belts on

1971 chevy k10 custom deluxe
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=341257
1968 chevy k/10 fleet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=334731
1948 desoto custom coupe fluid drive(family heirloom)
drivethechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:25 AM   #56
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I installed 3 point belts in my truck. Seatbelt saved my life in '97 when I cartwheeled my dad's truck down a steep as hill. Walked away without a scratch. Truck (86 toyota) looked like hell.

I was rear ended a couple years ago in the 67 (thankfully light damage!) but without the 3 points I would have done a face plant into the steering wheel.

I might get flamed, but I don't really care, I'm a fan of the "Click it or Ticket" laws.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 05-15-2009 at 12:28 AM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:35 AM   #57
danw210
69 K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
I installed 3 point belts in my truck. Seatbelt saved my life in '97 when I cartwheeled my dad's truck down a steep as hill. Walked away without a scratch. Truck (86 toyota) looked like hell.

I was rear ended a couple years ago in the 67 (thankfully light damage!) but without the 3 points I would have done a face plant into the steering wheel.

I might get flamed, but I don't really care, I'm a fan of the "Click it or Ticket" laws.

I totally agree. After reading all these posts, I fear for alot of you who think that you are tough enough not to need a seatbelt, or that your big bad truck could survive a crash with a "tin can" type car. The law of physics says that if your vehicle's forward motion stops, you the driver continue moving forward. Now I don't know about everyone else but I would much rather have that not so cool seatbelt catch me before I continue moving forward into that steering wheel or worse yet that steel dash or windshield. It's also funny that one guy said his wife made him put them in so his little boy could ride in the truck. Why did she have to tell you that, you should have thought the same thing, none the less for your own safety too. You only get one shot at this game called life, play it safe guys, please.
danw210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:01 AM   #58
lewisaric

I am a firm beliver in seatbelts, but i don`t think it should be mandated to anyone over 18. Also I think its
b-s that the cops can pull you over search you and your vehichle just for not wearing a "visible" seatbelt
lewisaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #59
tekno62

My son and I just put the 3 point seat belts from LMC. we also replaced the bench seat with some Ford Taurus buckets. the install was really easy on the belts.
tekno62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #60
ZombieWeinerDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanmusc1e View Post
well, my 72 had lap belts originally, but there was a hole their already. it didnt come with 3 point belts or were they ever installed, dont know why

Last edited by ZombieWeinerDog; 05-15-2009 at 12:00 PM.
ZombieWeinerDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:56 PM   #61
Garage Freak

Here in Georgia you don't even have to buckle up if you're in a truck. They just had another vote in the state legislature and one of the old politicians stated that "We don't want someone from up north (Washington) telling what they should be doing" even if it costing us millions in highway funds. Some people are still fighting the war down here.
Garage Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #62
Stock72c10
classic=of recognized value

There should be a waiver that people who don't want to wear belts could sign saying that if they were hurt due to not wearing their belts in a crash the other person's insurance would not be held responsible and that no Government help would be provided if they are not insured. If people don't want to protect themselves that is fine (Darwin agrees), but it should not be up to others to pay for their poor decisions. I for one buckle up and added 3 point belts to my truck.
Stock72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #63
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

I bought just lap belts for my 64, I'm thinking about getting the 3 point belts. The truck didn't come with them, But I have little boys. Their is no way i would let them ride without a belt!

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #64
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Ok....not to hijack, but what year trucks in the junkyard can I pull 3-point belts from???....do I take the hardware as well??...Thanks

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #65
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

Im not sure but make sure you pull the belt all the way out to make sure it wasnt a wrecked one. If the weaving is messed up stay away from it.

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #66
Skirkpat

If you have minor children it becomes my right as a taxpayer to say you should. I do not really feel like going to work to pay for your kids social security payment because you killed yourself in a car wreck, nor your medicare expenses if you wreck your bike and turn your brain to snot. The reson the Gov. tells you that you have to is because they get stuck with the bill if you don't wear it and crash. (all multi-millionaires please disregard)

And I do not wear mine as much as I should. Pot calling kettle,Pot calling kettle. Here in MO if you are in a truck licensed as 6,000 or over GVW you are exempt, even if it is an S-10
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #67
msgross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock72c10 View Post
There should be a waiver that people who don't want to wear belts could sign saying that if they were hurt due to not wearing their belts in a crash the other person's insurance would not be held responsible and that no Government help would be provided if they are not insured. If people don't want to protect themselves that is fine (Darwin agrees), but it should not be up to others to pay for their poor decisions. I for one buckle up and added 3 point belts to my truck.
so if I am riding with you and we have a wreck and your head smacks against mine causing brain damage am I then paying for your poor decision? Not talking about you of course but it's more than the "non buckler" that gets hurt because of their decisions.

1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #68
bac1755

I'm all for seat belts, but what I don’t get is in some states you don’t have to wear a helmet while on a motorcycle.... How is it they justify that?
Old 05-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #69
msgross

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1755 View Post
I'm all for seat belts, but what I don’t get is in some states you don’t have to wear a helmet while on a motorcycle.... How is it they justify that?
and i'm for personal choice there but think that you should have special health insurance if you decide not to wear helmets. They are causing my health care cost to increase...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #70
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1755 View Post
I was under the impression that only 2 states do NOT have helmet laws now. One of them is Iowa...
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #71
Uwe Blab

Quote:
I was under the impression that only 2 states do NOT have helmet laws now. One of them is Iowa...
Kansas does not require a helmet either. Some folks call the people who don't wear helmets 'donors'.

msgross, those are some sobering film clips...as I'm sure they are intended.

I have (3) sets of lap belts for my bench seat. I may need to consider putting in the shoulder ones. Has anyone seen a shoulder setup for the middle seat on a bench? I guess the should connection would have to loop over the back of the seat and connect below the back window sill.
Uwe Blab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:10 PM   #72
Camper Power

couple years ago and me and a few friends piled into my buddies truck, there were 4 of us in a 3 seater and i was the one that wasnt wearing a seat belt, there was frezzing rain that night and we were following another buddy in his car. when he stopped for a red light we just skidded right into him, wasnt going very fast but i nearly smashed my head into the windshield. and just a few weeks ago my buddy was screwin around with one of my other friends and he jumped onto his trucks front bumber, he accelerated and the guy started slipping so my buddy hit his breaks but that shot him off the truck and he fractured his scull, and that was only at parking lot speeds. so i always wear my seatbelt, even just for a quick trip across the parking lot. and i dont put my truck into gear until everyone buckles up. and when i first bought my truck it too only had lap belts, but my mom wouldnt let me drive the truck till it had 3 points in it. now if i dont want someone riding in my truck i can tell them i installed the seatbelts, and usually they'll jump right out

1970 Chevy C20 daily driver
1975 GMC Jimmy 4x4 project
1966 GMC C10 Dad's project
Camper Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #73
67ChevyRedneck

There's actually quite a few "no helmet law" states. SC is one of them.
Project "On a Dime"
Old 05-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #74
67ChevyRedneck

List of Helmet laws. Lots of "20 and under" and "17 and under" laws, but people over those ages don't have to wear them on motorcycles.

http://www.iihs.org/laws/HelmetUseCurrent.aspx
Project "On a Dime"

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 05-15-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #75
bac1755

Im not really sure but here in Texas I think the person must have health insurance and some form of life insurance, and they dont have to have a helmet.