The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #51
19seventeeCustom

Re: what a gorgeous 70 on ebay - WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
not me, that thing's pure "driver quality", made to drive like a rental and repaint when you're done. Undocumented, fake spid, mismatch of parts and options, ugly battery, rusty master cylinder, weird spot welds on panels, and the list goes on and on.

If this was someone's truck they painted up, i'd say "nice job you have a beautiful truck". But when its listed as "one of the best trucks that you will ever find", i laugh hard.

It's a $15k truck tops, and the reserve is over $20k at least.

Kind of like at barrett jackson when it says "no expense spared" and the stainless trim has never been restored.

Like i said, i wouldn't pick on the truck if it were offered with some humility.

Ps: Just one more thing... The v1029tah on the protect-o-plate leads me to believe it was a 307 truck, which if true takes it beyond sloppy and into the realm of scam, especially since it's being sold as having the original engine.
^this
Old 02-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #52
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRMW View Post
Mike your picture of the gold truck has CST badges on it and should have had woodgrain lower mouldings and the woodgrain band on the gate. Now you tell me about the paint pattern I had an elderly gentleman (about my age) ask me today if that was the original paint on my truck and my reply " Sir that truck is all original right down to the air in the tires.
Capt.,
Funny reference about the old air and elderly guy your own age I was only using that picture for the white cap roof reference. I read on here where 69-70 were only available with a second color on the cab and below the trim but not between the trim. THIS is pretty much exactly my paint scheme with woodgrain lower and tailgate trim and CST badging.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #53
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Not me, that thing's pure "driver quality", made to drive like a rental and repaint when you're done. Undocumented, fake SPID, mismatch of parts and options, ugly battery, rusty master cylinder, weird spot welds on panels, and the list goes on and on.

If this was someone's truck they painted up, I'd say "nice job you have a beautiful truck". But when its listed as "one of the best trucks that you will ever find", I laugh hard.

It's a $15K truck tops, and the reserve is over $20K at least.

Kind of like at Barrett Jackson when it says "No expense spared" and the stainless trim has never been restored.

Like I said, I wouldn't pick on the truck if it were offered with some humility.
Kinda harsh on it aren't you? Driver quality? I understand criticism about the seller's over the top verbage. But I highly doubt you or anyone on here could duplicate that truck for less than $15K and that's with you doing all the work yourself. It's probably about a $25K truck even with all the unoriginal things.

I know how much it costs to restore one of these trucks even at "driver" quality. It costs a crapload of cash. I am as tight as they come and find bargains everywhere I can. I'm at $10K and still lack probably another $10k to finish and that's with me doing all the labor. Just keep a running spreadsheet on your build and you'll be shocked how much all the nuts, bolts and on and on adds up. If you pay someone to do the work double it.

This is a very nice truck and I would love to own it even with all the knocks you pointed out. I agree the seller should tone it down a bit. He may not know how it was modified? Might just be a collector? Who knows, but he did put the disclaimer in there.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #54
gearys 5600

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Kinda harsh on it aren't you? Driver quality? I understand criticism about the seller's over the top verbage. But I highly doubt you or anyone on here could duplicate that truck for less than $15K and that's with you doing all the work yourself. It's probably about a $25K truck even with all the unoriginal things.

I know how much it costs to restore one of these trucks even at "driver" quality. It costs a crapload of cash. I am as tight as they come and find bargains everywhere I can. I'm at $10K and still lack probably another $10k to finish and that's with me doing all the labor. Just keep a running spreadsheet on your build and you'll be shocked how much all the nuts, bolts and on and on adds up. If you pay someone to do the work double it.

This is a very nice truck and I would love to own it even with all the knocks you pointed out. I agree the seller should tone it down a bit. He may not know how it was modified? Might just be a collector? Who knows, but he did put the disclaimer in there.

I agree 100% !!! I started out with a $12,500 budget on my 69 and ended up almost doubling that..I built it myself and even do my own paint and body work, I also consider my truck driver quality.

1969 custom/10 swb--SOLD
1968 swb 50th anniv.--SOLD
1967 camaro ss/rs..LS-6-speed, 16-year long project
1956 chevy nomad
1955 chevy 210 2-dr sedan
1978 el-camino ss 1-owner
Old 02-29-2012, 12:53 AM   #55
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearys 5600 View Post
I agree 100% !!! I started out with a $12,500 budget on my 69 and ended up almost doubling that..I built it myself and even do my own paint and body work, I also consider my truck driver quality.
$12500 huh, well my budget was $10K go figure. I have a chassis, a fixed up rusty cab and a room full of new parts. Still lack wheels, tires, carpet, paint, glass etc., etc.....Shocking how much these things cost! Mine will be "driver" quality too.

I'm amazed how often these super nice trucks on Ebay get knocked because the "high" bids.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:40 AM   #56
davepl

You guys seem to think that what a car costs to build determines what its worth. It doesn't. What people are willing to -pay- determines what it's worth.

I searched for four years for a truck before I bought one, and I've looked at hundreds of auctions. I see what people are asking and what they're getting (which are two different worlds entirely).

If that truck were done right, and it was a numbers-matching big-block or even 4x4 with original SPID and documentation, it might be a $35K truck. But its not (see the things I listed in my original post), and that's the problem:

People that are going to drop $25-30,000 on a truck like this are going to look for one that's right, not settle. That limits the market to people who want a nice-looking truck and don't care about the other factors, and I think their prices top out in the high teens.

But don't get me entirely wrong - it's a nice truck. Like I said in the first place, if someone here restored it I'd compliment them on it. But there's a big gulf between numbers-matching, original-engine, highly-optioned and "looks good in photos", and that gulf is measured in dollars.

My presumption is it never makes reserve, but it wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #57
litew8

I agree. It isn't a trophy trailer queen truck, or something that came out of a time capsule. I'd drive the hell out of it too if I were to buy that, just like I'm going to drive mine and utilize it for what it is, a truck. Why anyone would want to build/buy a truck only to shelf or not use it for it's original design is beyond my comprehension.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:38 AM   #58
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearys 5600 View Post
I don't consider it driver quality.
It is WAY NICER than that.
I would love to own it!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
Old 02-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #59
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
You guys seem to think that what a car costs to build determines what its worth. It doesn't. What people are willing to -pay- determines what it's worth.

I searched for four years for a truck before I bought one, and I've looked at hundreds of auctions. I see what people are asking and what they're getting (which are two different worlds entirely).

If that truck were done right, and it was a numbers-matching big-block or even 4x4 with original SPID and documentation, it might be a $35K truck. But its not (see the things I listed in my original post), and that's the problem:

People that are going to drop $25-30,000 on a truck like this are going to look for one that's right, not settle. That limits the market to people who want a nice-looking truck and don't care about the other factors, and I think their prices top out in the high teens.

But don't get me entirely wrong - it's a nice truck. Like I said in the first place, if someone here restored it I'd compliment them on it. But there's a big gulf between numbers-matching, original-engine, highly-optioned and "looks good in photos", and that gulf is measured in dollars.

My presumption is it never makes reserve, but it wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong.
You have me wrong for sure.
I would never expect to get what I have invested in mine to bring what I have in it. I was only stating it costs a boat load of money to make one that nice. Way more than your estimated $15k value. I was thinking the seller could seriously have invested $30-35k and could be taking a $5-$10K hit selling for $25K reserve. I may be way off but if you pay someone to do the work and buy all NOS parts it is very expensive. Not to mention dropping $10K or more on a "decent" paint job.

I'm only looking at it from my point of view and not purely as a buyer. I guess it's just from my prospective. I haven't been to a 100 auctions or anything like that. So I really don't know how much they sell for.

I have to agree about any truck's value is what someone is willing to pay.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #60
PHAT TONY

Quote:
You guys seem to think that what a car costs to build determines what its worth, but it wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong.
60 posts and not one refers to or assumes build cost determines end value. Every customer I've had so far knows there in for 65 cents on the dollar return or less for their investment on a vehicle.

Everyone can say what they want and pick away; it's still a very nice little truck!
1970 Chevrolet C/10-Sold
1968 GMC 4X4-Project
1968 Chevrolet C/10 Pro Street
1970 GMC 3/4 Ton-Parts
1997 2WD 2DR Yukon-Sweet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335664
Old 02-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #61
PHAT TONY

And it's technically over 20G's now.
1970 Chevrolet C/10-Sold
1968 GMC 4X4-Project
1970 GMC 3/4 Ton-Parts
1997 2WD 2DR Yukon-Sweet
Old 02-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #62
litew8

It's going to rust anyway.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #63
YBNORML

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAT TONY View Post
60 posts and not one refers to or assumes build cost determines end value. Every customer I've had so far knows there in for 65 cents on the dollar return or less for their investment on a vehicle.

Everyone can say what they want and pick away; it's still a very nice little truck!
Well said!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
Old 02-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #64
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I am really tempted just to lock this thread, but some of the responses force me to post. I think some of your blindly biased opinions are ludicrous at best. While there are some things that arent perfect or correct on the truck it is still a VERY nicely restored truck. For those of you that think it won't bring over 20k you were just proven wrong.

Please keep your posts in a positive manner or this thread will be locked.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #65
PHAT TONY

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
It's going to rust anyway.
LOL, yes, yes it will.
1970 Chevrolet C/10-Sold
1968 GMC 4X4-Project
1970 GMC 3/4 Ton-Parts
1997 2WD 2DR Yukon-Sweet
Old 02-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #66
Coley

Smile Re: what a gorgeous 70 on ebay - WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
While there are some things that arent perfect or correct on the truck it is still a VERY nicely restored truck. For those of you that think it won't bring over 20k you were just proven wrong.
Nicely put.
The good news with this kind of bid/pricing reflects back pretty positively on all of us. I love these trucks but I always think they kind of have a maximum value regardless of restoration level as compared to say....a 63' Vette, etc.
However, its good to see the market strong on examples (like this truck) that really are very high end in terms of condition, options and the 'ready to go' factor.
Here is another example that I think is priced very fair for the type/condition of truck it is. This is how I like to find them....more or less, plus this is a lot more within my budget
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-...ce35b614#v4-43
All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 02-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #67
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Nicely put.
The good news with this kind of bid/pricing reflects back pretty positively on all of us. I love these trucks but I always think they kind of have a maximum value regardless of restoration level as compared to say....a 63' Vette, etc.
However, its good to see the market strong on examples (like this truck) that really are very high end in terms of condition, options and the 'ready to go' factor.
Coley
I agree it is positive sign for our trucks unless of course if you are in the buyers market and not the seller market
Only problem for us GM made a bunch of these trucks so they just aren't that "rare". Within the group there are some rare optioned trucks though.
I think those truck will fetch the highest prices generally.

63 Vette on the other hand those are a rare bird indeed
Old 02-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #68
19seventeeCustom

it's quite sad, to know how many "nice" trucks
on this board and in general NEVER leave
the garage. you could dd that truck and in 5 years
the value would go UP! it's not a #s match, 1 off survivor
enjoy the truck, drive it!!!!

ps. I dd my '70, so I'm not just preaching.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #69
dubds10
Stalker Nate

I'd at least want a matching spare tire for $20gs!!! hahaha

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
Old 02-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #70
CC69Rat

I'd drive it and be proud to own it. One of the best looking trucks I have ever seen, I love the color combo. (Regardless of what it came with! .. it's still dead sexy)

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
Old 02-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #71
BOZO
Old School

If it were mine, I'd buy some agreed upon value insurance and PROUDLY drive it every day. Considering the amount of money I've got in mine and it ain't even rolling yet, the price on this one is fair. Also, remember what Thumpers mom said in Bambi. " If you don't have something nice to say, don't say nothin at all". It makes this forum a much nicer place to hang out.
#1 Project...69 Chevy swb Fleetside (Dad's truck)
#2...1983 El Camino SS (Choo Choo Custom)
#3...1974 Datsun truck (4.3L V6/4L60E)
#4...1951 Cadillac Limo (1975 Caddy running gear)
#5...1938 Dodge M38 3/4 ton Military truck
#6...1968 Sportster XLCH trail bike
5 GMC & Chevy parts trucks 68 to 72
Last but not least;
My 1978 Harley Davidson Electraglide
(trusted & reliable companion for the last 30 years)
Old 02-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #72
davepl

Don't make me type in all caps, because I'll do it. Really, I will. OK, here goes, since everyone seems to be either ignoring or misunderstanding my post:

1) It's a nice truck.
2) "You couldn't build it for X" does NOT mean "it's worth X"
3) There's a lot of wonky stuff with this one that I think will prevent it from selling for more than the high teens I predicted, which is about where it is now.

Spend $30K fixing up a shortbed big block, sell it for $35K. Spend $30K fixing up a Frankenstein with a fake spid, sell it for $20K.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #73
OC 72

Quote:
I am really tempted just to lock this thread, but some of the responses force me to post. I think some of your blindly biased opinions are ludicrous at best. While there are some things that arent perfect or correct on the truck it is still a VERY nicely restored truck. For those of you that think it won't bring over 20k you were just proven wrong.

Thanks!! Well put!.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #74
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

Location: Tarpon Springs,Fl & Annapolis,Md. ....................Quaint drinking villages with a fishing problem

BOZO You are right on.............. If it were mine, I'd buy some agreed upon value insurance and PROUDLY drive it every day. Considering the amount of money I've got in mine and it ain't even rolling yet, the price on this one is fair. Also, remember what Thumpers mom said in Bambi. " If you don't have something nice to say, don't say nothin at all". It makes this forum a much nicer place to hang out.

..................................... That truck is a daily driver if I ever saw one and a nice one too. So it has some stuff it ain't supposed to have (so what) now lets see a showing of hands of members that have a truck that don't have something it didn't come from the factory with. There may never be a Pebble Beach for trucks so grab some of those dime store trophys at the local drive in and drive it like you stole it. The more miles you drive the less it owes you. Here is a daily driver that I have owned for 22 years and have driven it 280,000 miles in those years so you don't need to destroy it by driving it. I'll say it again "NICE TRUCK"...An old man in an old truck, Roger
Attached Images

Old 02-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #75
davepl

Quote:

OK, I'm admittedly fairly new here, but what exactly are the criteria for you locking a thread? The fact that you disagree? That someone thinks a truck that nobody here owns is worth less than its reserve price on eBay?

I don't know if you were referring to my posts specifically, but I don't recall having any "ludicrous" opinions, or even seeing anything untoward on this thread. This is the weirdest moderator posting I've ever seen on the Internet, and I was on Compuserve.
Closed Thread