The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 03:48 PM   #1
R 78 PROJECT
<<< R 67 PROJECT

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortymac83
for those that say those cars are cheap, I don't understand. I look at it this way:

I got my delta 88 (2 dr, RWD V8) for $500. $3,000 later, it's driveable. If I wanted to be fast, I could have spent that $3,000 toward that end, and have had a 12 second street car.
shorty,you meen a 12min. car ,just messin w/ya bro
-67 C-10 stepside my toy
Old 03-10-2005, 04:14 PM   #2
chevydog66
GM ONLY BABY!!!

R 78 Project, I gave my freakin' opinion so lick my nads. It's a sport or a variation of one. Why do you see guys racing lawnmowers when they could be racing go-karts? What's the difference? To each his own, however the ricers do incorporate a lot of technology into their cars. Probably more than you could ever understand. Just like it makes the handicapped feel proud and special when they win.

66 Chevelle Malibu 406ci, 573hp, 10.99@121mph
96 Chevy Silverado Z71
72 GMC 1500 Super Custom LS 6.0/4L65 on airride

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/707879...mc-c-k-pick-up
Old 03-10-2005, 05:19 PM   #3
oldraven

A few of you are worried about the next generation not having anything worth rodding. I'd say, fear not. Have you seen what's hitting the market lately? A lot of RWD's, a lot of V8's, and no car is taken seriously anymore unless they've got 200hp. Trends are changing again. Muscle cars are coming back, and foreign cars are getting a lot more agressive. This generation(y) is getting it a hell of a lot better than mine(x). The next will have it even better, because the used cars on the market will be things like the 300 hemi C, Cadillac CTS-V, Audi RS-4, Retro Mustangs, GTO's, Solstice, Magnum, the upcoming 550hp Shelby Mustang Cobra........... I could go on all day.

Also, have you seen the extent of Rice in Asia? Be glad ricers here are a lot more refined. (yes, I did just say that)

And it seems a lot of people forget that hot rodding really got its' start with an air cooled 4-pot 1.6L VW. It was RWD, but it also had 40 odd hp to start with.

'87 TurboCoupe 2.3Turbo intercooled 5-spd
www.cardomain.com/id/oldraven

'93 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L
Old 03-11-2005, 05:27 PM   #4
bagged91
Out draggin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldraven
And it seems a lot of people forget that hot rodding really got its' start with an air cooled 4-pot 1.6L VW. It was RWD, but it also had 40 odd hp to start with.

HUH?!?!?! On what farfromgrooven planet did this happen on? Certainly wasn't here! Shoot, they were takin' airplane engines and putting them in stripped down Model T's in the teens & twenties...

As far as rice goes, there are some that I will say impress me but the overall Fast & Furryas* attitude is what turns me off. There are a lot of guys that have dumped TONS of $$$ into their cars and invested a lot of time & hard work to boot. They earned their respect with me but they still need to stop driving like A-holes. The one's that annoy me are the stock Hyundai Excel's(from the 80's no less)with plastic spinner hubcaps, cut coils, ect that think they are in the same class as the other guy's. Never happen clown....

One last thing, the Special Olympics comment wasn't funny & wasn't neccesary and was completely low class. Go to the library and check out the thing's with printed paper in them that they call books. You might be able to pull out another type of analogy the next time...
72 C10 Burb (ex. Cheesewagon)SOLD
72 C20 Burb parts truck
71 C10 Burb "project"
Old 03-11-2005, 06:18 PM   #5
oldraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged91
HUH?!?!?! On what farfromgrooven planet did this happen on? Certainly wasn't here! Shoot, they were takin' airplane engines and putting them in stripped down Model T's in the teens & twenties...
I'm sure some few guys were doing something like this, but I'd hardly call that the beginning of the Hot Rod scene. There was a huge, almost cult, group of enthusiasts squeezing power from VWs in the early days of rodding. Taking an otherwise vanila grocery getter and making a street peeler out of it. Not much different than what these guys are doing now with Golfs, Civics, and Cavaliers.

I wasn't saying that no one ever modified a car before VW's hit the market. Just that this is nothing new, and has been around since hot rodding was born.

'87 TurboCoupe 2.3Turbo intercooled 5-spd
www.cardomain.com/id/oldraven

'93 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L
Old 03-11-2005, 11:39 AM   #6
R 78 PROJECT
<<< R 67 PROJECT

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydog66
R 78 Project, I gave my freakin' opinion so lick my nads. It's a sport or a variation of one. Why do you see guys racing lawnmowers when they could be racing go-karts? What's the difference? To each his own, however the ricers do incorporate a lot of technology into their cars. Probably more than you could ever understand. Just like it makes the handicapped feel proud and special when they win.
YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING TO LICK IF YOU DID YOUD BE A MAN AND NOT A MOUSE BY TALKING ABOUT THE MENTALLY ILL.,WHY DONT WE TAKE A POLL AND SEE IF YOUR COMMENT WAS CORRECT OR PLAIN STUPID..........
-67 C-10 stepside my toy

Last edited by R 78 PROJECT; 03-11-2005 at 12:19 PM. Reason: re-wording so not to get booted from here because of a narrow minded A-hole
Old 03-10-2005, 05:41 PM   #7
shortymac83
hmm...

no, I mean 12 second. for $3,000 I could have a 500 HP olds 455. I"m good friends with a junkyard owner here, and almost everything else I could have gotten from him, including an 8.5" rearend, rear disc setup, TH350 transmission, etc. I'd be willing to bet that I could get into at least the low 13's for $5,000 if I were to do it again.

www.fcrperformance.com - wanna go...faster? talk to FCR.

Old 03-11-2005, 03:47 AM   #8
NORCAL_GUY73

I have to agree that you will most likely never find me wasting big money in a rice burner, but there are some pretty sweet rides out there. In there defense I have seen trucks here that look like a rolling JC Whitney catalog with so many doo dads on the vehicle it looked as if some poor hill billy all the sudden ran into some money and bought every gaufy item for his truck that he could. in restrspect the same goes for the import guys, the young ones think its cool to show how much money you spent by nuying as many useless items as you can and cluttering your vehicle with them, Shoot if I placed every after market items sticker that I have on my 72 I would never need to paint it because it would be covered.
Anyways the point is is first, you have to be honest with yourseleves, ego will bite you in the ass, there are imports out there driven everyday and parked in the high schools that will flat tear what we call muscle cars up inthe quarter mile not to mention they handle like a go-cart. Second, economically nothing is cheap to fix up once you get to a certain level you can expect to spend serious coin. third, as long as it looks clean I dont knock them, yeah I laugh at the guy with the stock sentra with the 5" exhaust and shopping cart handle wing on the back and the summit racing sticker but to each his own, and most time then not, when people talk #@$# about others it is usually out of jealousy........
Keep on truckin' is my motto.......
Old 03-11-2005, 08:09 AM   #9
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Wow, a lot of closed minded folks on here aren't there?

I've seen Honda kids import Hi-Po JDM spec engines from Japan and swap them into their cars for more power. That required different engine mounts, custom axles, custom shift assembly, on and on. Then, after all of the nuts and bolts, they have to integrate the foreign wiring harness to their chassis and tune all of the computer bugs out.

I've also seen these kids build custom turbo systems for their Hondas using tubing, welders, and junkyard turbos.

Hell, we got guys on here who can't even get their trucks to start and run. Should we lump all old truck guys together with them like everyone does with ricers?

I think not.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:53 AM   #10
shortymac83
hmm...

TX, as far as I'm concerned, there's a big difference between a guy that throws a wing and a fart can on a 4 door civic and thinks it's fast, and someone that goes out, buys the motor, does the stuff, and races his car. Those aren't the people I'm talking about, and frankly, a lot of those guys are very impressive. at the PRI show in Indy last december, there was a supra there sporting a turbo the size of my head and a dyno sheet that read over 1200 hp. that's racing.

there was a guy living in my dorm last year that had a honduh CRX that he spray bombed bumblebee yellow (you could see the overspray through the grille), tinted the windows (complete with bubbles), and had a big fart can on it, and a "carbon fiber" hood. This kid bragged about how many tickets he got, most were for speeding and reckless driving (I want to say 15 in a year). He said that with the old B12 motor, he was turning 11.98's, but now with "only a 1.8L" he hasn't raced it. I said, let's do it, so we lined up at IRP, and I smoked him in my 18 second delta 88. Those are the ricers I hate.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:07 AM   #11
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

Awww come on guys we were young once..........

now its fart cans......back then it was glasspacks
now it a sticker with japanese writing.......back then it was a hooker header & holley sticker..
now its f16 wings......back then it was whale tails or GTO wannabe rear spoilers

how about the not so distent 80s with the testorossa/miami-vice wannabe kits on f-bodys...man what where we thinking? LOL

"A fear of the Sawsall is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ~Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
Old 03-11-2005, 11:38 AM   #12
GirlRacer

I would like to comment here, cause I have chevys and hondas. I have raced both. I had a honda del sol, a civic si, and a civic hatchback. I had an 82 chevy truck, and now an 84 chevy truck. In the del sol, we took it apart, put in a Japan spec motor, put parts from an integra type R on the motor, and had it running low 14s, and that was without having anything done to it beside swapping the motor and some part. All were kept stock. If we would have gone through it and used different cams, pistons, and all the other goodies, it could have been a lot faster. The civic si ran 15.5 completely stock, and with a 50 shot of NX, it ran 13.8. The hatchback that I have now has a japan motor from a honda crv, the suv. it has stock internals, and the only thing after market is the full custom exhaust (not fart can) the ecu, and a cold air intake, (which actually does help, we test all of our upgrades on a dyno) It puts down 14.2 at the track, and is still being tuned. We are about to take it apart and improve the internals with sleeves, higher compression pistons, bore it to a 2.2 liter, and maybe through some NX on it. Low 12's. It's been done before. Adding up all of these things, I coudn't make my truck run that fast for as cheap as we've done all three cars. My truck is ready to run high 14's. If I wanted to go any faster, I'd have to do a lot more to it than we do to these cars. BUT, we don't put stupid stickers or wings, or big wheels on our cars either. And we don't race around through traffic, just at the track. I know many people who do this, and they really don't know what they are doing. They think they are cool, and fast, with stickers, think muffler can add 20-50 horses, and with an intake they can run 9's. I don't like those kinds of ricers either.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:00 PM   #13
PHOENIX

I havent read the entire thread, but some of it.
So far it looks like its going to get closed.
Anyway, what I dont like about the "ricers" is the ugly body kits, wings, funky graphic paint, interior paint, nasty loud exhaust and the carbon fiber body kits they put on those cars. Although some of the body kits look really good, most look oversized and or overdone with shape and design. Some body kits are nice and some just ruin the car. The unpainted carbon fiber hoods etc. dont appeal to me. I like a lot of these import cars, not more then I like my older Chevy's though. I like import cars with engine mods, a little lowering, and some different wheels. I know some refer any import as a ricer, some only refer to ricers as wanna-be fast cars. All I know is there are a lot of imports out there I would love to have.
I like simple clean style on any car.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:43 PM   #14
71Chevy4-speed
Speed Limit = Floorboard

I could go on and on about this topic, but I'm not going to.

Tell ya one thing... ricers sure as hell don't have the presence that muscle cars do. Even teenagers these days realize that, muscle cars have a certain personality that ricers will never have.

look at the pics... enough said.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2005, 07:17 PM   #15
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydog66

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 78 PROJECT
YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING TO LICK IF YOU DID YOUD BE A MAN AND NOT A MOUSE BY TALKING ABOUT THE MENTALLY ILL.,WHY DONT WE TAKE A POLL AND SEE IF YOUR COMMENT WAS CORRECT OR PLAIN STUPID..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOENIX
I havent read the entire thread, but some of it.
So far it looks like its going to get closed.
bingo!
Old 03-11-2005, 03:49 PM   #16
shortymac83
hmm...

forgot one

and hey, I'm still running glasspacks on my trucks!!! I love that redneck cackle of a straight six breathing through a 'pack!

Old 03-11-2005, 03:53 PM   #17
BodyShopDropOut12
9 months

The olds is nice, but those other definitely don't do it for me.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:33 PM   #18
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

I dont remember anyone rodding VWs in the muscle car years, unless it was for the sand dunes because thats the only place they would spin their tires....LOL

"A fear of the Sawsall is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ~Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
Old 03-11-2005, 07:01 PM   #19
R 78 PROJECT
<<< R 67 PROJECT

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis
I dont remember anyone rodding VWs in the muscle car years, unless it was for the sand dunes because thats the only place they would spin their tires....LOL
The v-dubs I was refering to were in the mid-late 70's.,there was one I'll never forget white w/heavy flake called "snow flake " this 11sec. puppy ate v8's every wkend until he wiped out.,he didnt beat'em all but he opened up my eye's all I know is it was 1875cc's and had a homemade turbo thats all the info he let out,again this was when I was a teenager way back when
-67 C-10 stepside my toy
Closed Thread