The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2012, 05:54 AM   #1
Woogeroo

Wink 1966 and later park brake system - layout with photos - no cross member

Below is a tech article I've had on my personal site for many years now about adding the 1966-1972 park/emergency brake cable system to a 1960-1965 model truck.

The main compelling reason for this swap is because the parts for the stock system have gone missing or because a later model automatic transmission has been added, which lowers down the original mechanism for the park brake system. This is only an issue if it is in your way because you wish to really lower the vehicle, etc..

In my case, I had a later model automatic transmission and a whole lot of nothing as the entire brake system had been removed from the truck. It was explained to me by the tribal elders of old Chevy truck land that it would be simpler & easier to just use the later model system.

I don't know every single thing about this swap, or even all of the names for all of the parts... the biggest challenge for this project will be running down the parts list and getting those all assembled. The only other thing is, if you have trailing arms/coil spring, you *may* have to drill a hole in your trailing arm to mount the bracket for the cables going into the rear drums.

I thought I'd stick this one in here for posterity... or for at least until the zombie apocalypse arrives.

Enjoy.

If you get any useful information out of this thread, please give it a rating up top, under 'rate thread'.

Thanks.

If you have some information, tips, tricks or advice or photos to add, please do so! If you add photos, please upload them to the server under 'manage attachments' in the post window, so we don't have to worry about pesky links to images disappearing.

If you have issues with posting photos, see the Tips for Posting Pictures & Photos under the Photo Threads category in Section 2C of the 60-66 FAQ Index.

For other information about Brakes on our 60-66 trucks, visit the Brakes category in Section 2B of the 60-66 FAQ Index.

-W

p.s. the 1966 -1972 trucks used this style cable system. This system is adaptable to the older (1960-1965) trucks, which is usually desired when a later model transmission is swapped in... or other modifications are made to the truck, such as extreme lowering.

p.p.s. Those of you with the 1966 trucks... if you have photos of your layout, feel free to add your photos in here.

If any of you know the technical name and/or the slang/nickname of any of these parts, feel free to add those to the pile as well!

-------

NOTE:

If you want to use the original parking brake mechanism for the 1960-1965 trucks, you can lower it down. This is usually fine if you are not dropping your truck to lay frame.

See how JimZ did his, here on his on his 1965 C10 with a 4l80e/ls3.

-------

Pictures of the Emergency/Park brake cable system on a 1966 Chevrolet C10(half ton) - Model 1504 - Long Wheel Base Pickup.

There are two different sets of pictures here, of two different 1966 c10, long wheelbase trucks.

The set of photos below these two sets are park brake related as well.

The first set is of a long wheel base step side showing the cable routing underneath with the bed still on. The second set is of a long wheelbase fleet side, without a bed on it, so you can see the view from the top of the frame and how the cables are routed, with the various guides.

8 pictures - 1966 Chevy Stepside lwb emergency brake cable system routing

Emergency/Park brake cable system pictures of a 1966 Chevrolet C10(half ton) - Model 1504 - Long Wheel Base Stepside Pickup.

These pictures were taken by and are the property of tommegow of the 1960-1966 Chevy Trucks and Vans Forum at Chevytalk.com. He sent them to me to help me setup up this system on my '65 c10. I have since had them posted on my personal webpage.

---------------------------------

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 31973
Size:  27.1 KB

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 36339
Size:  25.5 KB

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 29132
Size:  19.2 KB

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 29084
Size:  21.5 KB

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 29541
Size:  22.2 KB

---------------------------------

Last edited by Woogeroo; 02-13-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote