The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2007, 01:19 AM   #51
earl87gta

Re: 52 Suburban project thread

wish my projects moved along this quick. Looks like you got the frame work is going to move along just as quick as the body.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:20 AM   #52
tygaboy

A little while later and it's ready to head back to the shop to have the Corvette suspension brackets attached. Then we'll start to see some stuff...
Thanks for your patience with all this disassembly. Now we go in the "back together" direction!
Attached Images

tygaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:25 AM   #53
tygaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl87gta View Post
wish my projects moved along this quick. Looks like you got the frame work is going to move along just as quick as the body.
I hear you. While it certainly costs a bunch more, the time factor is why I decided to bite the bullet and pay someone else to do large chunks of this project. My free time is pretty much limited to weekends and it would take me years to get this done.
I'll have plenty to keep me busy with the interior design, fab, mold making and composite production parts lay up.
I think I'm nearing a design that I like. Should be pretty cool.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:33 AM   #54
earl87gta

Im going to have the body on my 68 burb done by some one else but im doing drive train and Frame work. your composite work is awsome I do some fiber glass stuff for my bikes but Ive never done any carbon work.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:19 PM   #55
ccpanel

still got the motor and other leftover parts?
ccpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:05 PM   #56
tygaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpanel View Post
still got the motor and other leftover parts?
I've been eBaying and Craig's listing all the stuff I'm not going to use. Just this morning a guy came by and bought the entire engine, drive train and front end - essentially everything I just stripped from the chassis. All I have left to sell is the gas tank (with straps and mounting brackets) and the spare tire hanger parts. Anyone interested?

I've recouped better than 50% of what I paid for the truck. And that works fine for me!

I'm off to look at a '93 3/4 ton 2wd Chevy with a 6.5 turbo diesel and 4L80E trans. With a bit of luck and good timing, I'll be driving home tomorrow with my latest donor vehicle! Perhaps an "all Chevrolet" approach will end up being the right move... Wish me luck.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:21 AM   #57
tygaboy

Well, that too, was easy! I bought the '93 Chevy so the official new plan is that I'll be running a Chevy 6.5 turbo diesel with a 4L80E trans. It goes pretty good in the 3/4 ton 2WD truck and the 'burb weighs WAAAAAYY less.
I'll be doing a few mods to the motor to improve breathing and fuel delivery so it should move right along.
Plus, the truck is in pretty good shape so I'll be able to part it out or sell it to someone who wants a platform that will never have to go through a smog check. Near as I can figure, once I sell/part it, I'll have about $1000 in my engine and trans. Not too bad.
Pics of this latest donor to follow.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:46 AM   #58
tygaboy

Slowly but surely... Both outer cowls are in.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2007, 12:48 AM   #59
tygaboy

And the 'vette suspension brackets are ready to go on. Nice rear end, no?
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2007, 01:04 AM   #60
earl87gta

The is going to be sweet. We almost have the same drive train Im have a 6.2 with a 6.5 turbo. while you have it out I would invest in a main stud gerdal and a fluid dampner for the 6.5 it will save you a lot of trouble down the road. that is the 2 main things other then heat that will give to trouble with the 6.5 engines.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #61
tygaboy

Quote:
The is going to be sweet. We almost have the same drive train Im have a 6.2 with a 6.5 turbo. while you have it out I would invest in a main stud gerdal and a fluid dampner for the 6.5 it will save you a lot of trouble down the road. that is the 2 main things other then heat that will give to trouble with the 6.5 engines.
Thanks much. I'm with you on the preventative stuff. I'm still researching but looking at the girdle kit, lower compression marine pistons (only 18-1 ), marine injectors, intake and exhaust mods.

What's your diesel in?
Old 10-30-2007, 12:04 PM   #62
tygaboy

OK, let's get into some composite fabrication! I want to start with a custom carbon fiber intake cover. Here's the motor in stock form. "Turbo Power" just screams for everyone to stand back! In this 5400 lb truck, I think we're all pretty safe. At least while it's in stock form.
Attached Images

Last edited by tygaboy; 10-30-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:09 PM   #63
tygaboy

Pop the cover off and we're left with a motor that looks like it asked for a "Flat Top" when it last went to the barber shop...
Kinda cool about turbo diesels that they really don't care (within reason) about the shape or length of the intake track. I forgot to mention that I'll also be adding an intercooler to reduce the intake charge temp. Not sure if it'll be air/air or air/liquid but big improvements to be had going forward.
Attached Images

Last edited by tygaboy; 10-30-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:12 PM   #64
tygaboy

FAVOR PLEASE? Can someone measure the width of the inside of their 47-54 engine compartment about where it looks like the turbo will sit? Maybe a series of measurements of width starting at the engine/trans surface coming forward?
My concern is that the turbo will interfere with the inner fender and I'm just trying to get an idea of how much. Not too big an issue, I hope, in that I can either mod the inner fender or perhaps build a riser to lift the turbo. Lord knows we have enough height under the hoods of these things.
I also have to consider the size of radiator I'll need to cool this thing.

Last edited by tygaboy; 10-30-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:23 PM   #65
tygaboy

And here's the stock cover. I'll be working on it today and will determine if I need to pull a mold from it or if I can use it directly as the mold. Either way, I'll have to modify it a bit and here's why:
Carbon fiber is woven - and it doesn't like to go around super sharp/tight corners. See all those grooves running down the top? No way the fabric can get in those little channels. So I'll fill them and maybe add a different shape to add to the section shape to gain the desired resistance to flexing.
I may also do something wacky like bond a set of velocity stack onto it, just to mess with people who don't know what diesels are about!

Pics as the fun happens. Wish me luck, I'm goin' in!

And if you want to see the process I'm about to use, here's a link to a motorcycle gas tank I made for a friend of mine. Hey, there's an idea! Maybe I should make a carbon tank for this project...

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=145975
Attached Images

Last edited by tygaboy; 10-30-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:33 PM   #66
tygaboy

Well, I'm going to pull a mold from the stock part after all. So I first have to make it "composite friendly". A bit of body filler, sanding and primer later and I have the nice surface I want.
Next I polish this "plug" and lay up the mold. Should be a nice looking part.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2007, 12:50 AM   #67
tygaboy

Well, not too exciting - but it is progress. Firewall and floors almost done. We have the body on a cart while the chassis work is being done. Still prepping the frame for the 'vette brackets. Thought I'd roll a 20" wheel in there to see if I like the size. So far, I do! And I sure do like the rear ride height. I'm not looking for UltraSlam, just a nice, speed bump and driveway clearing stance.

And I'm headed toward building a carbon fiber firewall cover as well as a full carbon/nomex honeycomb core (as in no steel) set of inner fenders. Essentially, the entire engine compartment will be carbon. , if you're into that sort of thing...
Attached Images

Last edited by tygaboy; 11-05-2007 at 12:55 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #68
paul5663

Looking fine! Firewall looks clean. Can't wait to see the C4 stuff underneath. Should give you just the stance (not to mention sweet handling) you are looking for. Keep postin'!

Paul
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=229882
paul5663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #69
Jebb1978

I am liking the direction you are heading. This is going to be a very unique burb.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #70
Igotachevyor2
Apache Club

looks great
Igotachevyor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:18 AM   #71
earl87gta

I have the diesel in a 68 burb thats going to be a cool cover. I was thinking of going with an aftermarket style intake that would look cleaner.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:39 AM   #72
tygaboy

Got a bit of progress made on the engine cover. Worked the shape a bit to make the "Turbo Power" stand out a little more. I also have a "Suburban" badge (see earlier in this thread) that I think I'll bond onto this as well.
Anyway, I layed up the mold and should have it out and ready for production part layup this coming weekend.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2007, 03:17 AM   #73
earl87gta

I didnt think you were going to keep the turbo power . I looking good cant wait to see the finished product. I need to lern how to lay carbon Ive done a lot of Fiber glass is it close to the same?
Old 11-14-2007, 10:55 AM   #74
tygaboy

Quote:
I didnt think you were going to keep the turbo power . I looking good cant wait to see the finished product. I need to lern how to lay carbon Ive done a lot of Fiber glass is it close to the same?
Until you start getting into pre-preg carbon, it's essentially identical to working with fiberglass. The fun comes when laying up the production parts in that the carbon fabric is there for all to see - why use carbon fiber if you're not going to show it off? - so care must be taken to postion the weave in the direction you want, seams are all visible so planning where each piece goes is important. And depending on the weave, the fabric 'moves around' more than 'glass and it can be tricky to get the look you really want. And I don't know if I'll vacuum bag this or not...

Here's a link to a carbon fiber motorcycle gas tank I built. It goes through every step of the process. If you're interested in composite fab, it's worth a read.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=145975

If you do a search on that forum for my user name, you'll see build threads for other stuff I've made.

I'm only going to document the major progress as I build this engine cover. Once I start on the interior, I'll provide more detail.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:26 PM   #75
tygaboy

One 6.5 Turbo Diesel engine cover mold, ready for use. This is a "make one part and toss it" mold so it's pretty flimsy. But it's all I need - no use wasting material on something that's essentially disposable. Plus, I could safely make a couple/few parts with it, if I needed to. Just have to be a bit more careful.
Attached Images