The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2006, 10:44 AM   #51
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Why are our trucks so popular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPNEJR
i like these trucks cause of their design they easily fixable can clean it off and go crusin if you want with em. i didn't grow up around these things but when my bro got a 71 C/10 i loved it and loved working on it with him and my dad.
Didn't grow up around them? Good God son, you're only 15 and we've had that truck since 1999, not to mention the 30-40 some odd I parted or sold between then and now.

These trucks are like the "popular" girl in high school, cheap and easy.

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:57 PM   #52
Matt67C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbgump
I think they are the best looking trucks ever made. They have nice curves and lines. Can be used for work or pleasure. They ride good and can be customized to whatever extent you want to go. Lots of parts are interchangable, so you have a large selection of parts that you can use. Just the best trucks ever in my opinion
Just because they're awesome.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #53
1LoC10
Insert Title Here

Mines a mix of my dad and my friends.......all my life growing up my dad always had chevelles and novas, so i was always into the muscle cars.. but when I could afford my first car i got an S10... spent about 10 years all mixed in with the whole minitruck scene... so I always loved old muscle cars and now love trucks.. so the best bet was an old truck.. and 67-72 is the only choice out there in my head

1000 pics of 67-72's>> http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...-72/?start=all <<
1LoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:04 PM   #54
rockinlocks

i dont know why they are so popular but i dotn like it.
im fixing the rockers on mine then its for sale!
70 chevy with gmc grill hood and tailgate
350 with rebuilt t350 trans
long box fleetside
rockinlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:38 PM   #55
kingsolver72
10/30/19

I have always liked older cars and trucks.My Grandpa had a 69 c10,lwb.350 with a four speed.He was a dairy farmer and he used that truck a lot.It was that truck that I learned about the ultimate granny gear.I learned to drive in that truck along with driving tractors and combines before I was old enough to get a license.I eventually bought it from him.Wish I still had now.I guess my gramps is part of why I have such a passion for these trucks.He knew a good value when he seen it.I don't work my trucks like he worked his,but I see a great truck when I look at one of my trucks because of him.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:25 PM   #56
barepaint

like a rock period...Rock out...long low lean fast...20 years now Bob Seger wheat fields...roomy seat to spread em wide...Country boys dream...Pick up Man...American...It doesn't get better then that...:bansex:
barepaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:35 PM   #57
larry may

They turn heads these old rides do. The peppier they sound the more folks smile at them. One I have rides as well as a caddy corners like a soprts car. Was easy to make it like that, and cheaper than a caddy or a sports car. plus taxes are cheap too!
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:18 PM   #58
asickber

I'm 21. My oldest brother had a 71 stepside that he drove me to school in. I loved that truck. Then my next older brother got a 70 that was built up a little and I rode to school in that. So it just had to be that I would get a 72. Simply put from my view, these trucks are just awesome.
asickber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:16 PM   #59
special-K
Special Order

Iliked them when they first came out.If I had to explain,you wouldn`t understand.They are as modern as a truck ever needed to be,until Capitol Hill took over the automotive industry.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:07 AM   #60
yote1234

wow..you guys are getting to me...i take delivery of my 71 cheyenne super in about a week...athough i was 15 when it was brand new and have driven many of the 70-72 trucks in construction jobs,"years ago".i took them for granted! as i do my new truck.but i cant wait untill i get it here... kool!
1968 Camaro 327
1968 Honda mini-trail z50a #377
1966 uh 1-D Huey
yote1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:36 AM   #61
shifty
Questionable

i bought mine for the outside looks and because it's all steel. sure, i like the thought of an airbag, but with all the heavy gauge steel in my truck, i'm sure it can take five times the impact a new car can without damaging me (i hope!)

oh yeah, and did i mention that the 68's are just damned sweet?

i was turned onto the 71-72 originally. had a friend that had one, then i saw that movie Dazed and Confused and the black 72 in there sold me on it - i hated the honeycomb grill, started looking at options, fell in love with the fleetside 68, but wanted a stepside and, bam! one popped up on Craigslist for a reasonable price. so, i bought it. now i've got more than twice the money i paid for it dropped into it but i love the truck! just can't wait to drive it....grumble, grumble1

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 04-07-2006 at 01:38 AM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:40 AM   #62
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACO
I think I am quietly revolting against the modern over complicated cars and trucks. It also helps that the body lines are great and you can't beat the sound of a V8.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:03 AM   #63
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by yote1234
wow..you guys are getting to me...i take delivery of my 71 cheyenne super in about a week...athough i was 15 when it was brand new and have driven many of the 70-72 trucks in construction jobs,"years ago".i took them for granted! as i do my new truck.but i cant wait untill i get it here... kool!
We must be about the same age.I remember working as a carpenter`s helper driving a`72 C/20 that seemed like an old beat truck at 2 years old.I tossed a 2x4 in the bed,hit the cab under the window and it shattered.Then,we were jumping it one day and it wouldn`t start the next day.The battery was all upside-down and between the motor and frame.I deserve 40 lashes!I`d go home and wax my pretty "almost new" 1972 CustomDeluxe after a hard days work.I guess I learned how not to treat mine on that work truck.Seriously,that thing was beat before I ever saw it.If that same truck was parked when new would be worth more now than what one of those townhouses cost back then.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-09-2006 at 09:49 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:18 AM   #64
from_the_edge

Talking Re: Why are our trucks so popular?

Well for me it was from a very young age. I am GM all the way I don't care for imports at all. Now 33 with a family it's time to live the rest of my dream. Get up in the morning to go to work in the sunfire to get the gas millege but insted get in the old truck and drive it like it needs to be driven. The truck is just something that draws you too it. Even when I see on in a parking lot it drives my wife crazy that i have to go and see it and talk about it to her. Don't get me wrong she is on board with the build but doesn't have the fever. So to all who don't have one get one and see the felling you get.
the truck is a mess but good times ahead
from_the_edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:18 PM   #65
Southpa

I have to admit I was pretty ignorant about these trucks (and all trucks in general) before I bought mine. I inherited some money from my grandma and put the word out to a buddy that I was looking for a "previously enjoyed" pickup truck. I could have wound up with a Ford, Dodge or whatever! My friend knew someone who was selling a 1970 GM so we went and had a look. If I knew what I know now about trucks I likely would have passed on this particular truck because of the rot underneath and around the cab.

Well, that was in 1995. Since then I have invested over $6000 in its upkeep, refurbishing and modifications. Did all my own welding, swapped to a disc frontend, tilt column from a van, replaced a few body panels, doors etc. and its still not all one color. But that truck has taken me over some of the roughest roads you can imagine. I literally beat the crap out of this thing. I drove it for a couple years with a bad radiator, 1/4 of it was plugged up. The aftermarket temp gauge I installed read up to 260 deg. F at times but that old 350 still held together.

What do I like about MY particular truck? Firstly, I can fix it myself. Its easy to maintain and parts are relatively interchangeable, affordable and available. A longtime friend of mine got his first ride in my truck a few weeks ago. He remarked at how smooth it ran.

As far as looks go, its no great shakes by itself. But in comparison to other years, makes and models out there the body lines are exquisite. Like I said, my truck isn't all one color but one of these days I'll get around to a good paint job. I KNOW I'm driving a diamond in the rough.

edit hours later: Just to give you an idea about the 67-72 body style, I stopped at a busy intersection today and overheard some guy saying "nice trucK" to his buddy in the van next to me. I kind of smiled and thought, "geez, wait til I get it painted!" Its about 8 different colors now! I'm pretty sure its those curves.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.

Last edited by Southpa; 04-08-2006 at 02:00 AM.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:01 AM   #66
barepaint

lust man lust...I was 15 when I got My first car and it was a truck 62 chevy long bed field truck 292 six and four speed...step dad said drive it in the field and learn how to shift...so I ground and dug and stalled...finally became the Master of the thing...from there I become a ridge runner...junk cars dirt roads and learned how to fix them...learn love in em and heart break...gave Me the skills for My job and life...why is a Harley better then a rice grinder...why is Bruce the boss...why do levi's fit right...why are country girls so sweet...why ask why...just is...like heaven...If u need to ask...u need passion and faith
barepaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:53 AM   #67
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

I think the thing I love most about them is that are a REAL truck. Since the early 90's most of the guys I know (and most of the public, in general) have been in love with bloated, oversized extended cab trucks. I hear them talking about how tough and how cool looking these long, ugly trucks are. I don't like Mama's truck. I like a Boy Dog! Drive by any daycare or grade school in the morning and count the number of Ext cab Z71's and F150's that kids are crawling out of. In most cases somewhere 'ol hubby is driving that beat up, worn out '83 Civic and telling his buddies that he drives it work to "save money on gas". yeah... Mama won't be putting the kids behind the seat of my trucks, because there's a gas tank back there!!
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:56 AM   #68
68gmcdually

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30
I think the thing I love most about them is that are a REAL truck. Since the early 90's most of the guys I know (and most of the public, in general) have been in love with bloated, oversized extended cab trucks...
Hey watch what your saying there boy!! I agree there is a large amount of King Ranches and extend a cab trucks in our neck of the woods but I happen to love my 3 extend a cab trucks, I find it too tight in the cab with a regular cab truck, mind you we have two dogs and a kid on the way and one of them is a work truck so I didn't have much say there, all I said was 4 X 4, a/c and powerful, the extend a cab was just the icing on the cake.

1968 930 Extend-A-Cab Dually 5.7l, 5 speed,
68gmcdually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:28 AM   #69
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmcdually
Hey watch what your saying there boy!! I agree there is a large amount of King Ranches and extend a cab trucks in our neck of the woods but I happen to love my 3 extend a cab trucks, I find it too tight in the cab with a regular cab truck, mind you we have two dogs and a kid on the way and one of them is a work truck so I didn't have much say there, all I said was 4 X 4, a/c and powerful, the extend a cab was just the icing on the cake.
HeeHee! My views on these Mama's trucks always gets a lot a fired up. Your dually gets a free pass though. You know I love that truck!! Its a 5 speed and its a dually, so it still qualifies as a manly truck. However, in my opinion, it would look about a million times better if it was a regular cab. But you made still made my point. A truck used to be a truck. I love knowing that my wife doesn't want to drive my truck around because it doesn't have for all of her or kid's junk. The Blazer will probably be another story. She's already getting hyped about it!! A 4 door truck, I have no problem with. 5 big guys can pile up into it and to to the job site or all go to race track. But, C'mon an ext cab is pretty much only good for kids, collecting junk that shouldn't be in truck and groceries!!!
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!

Last edited by 67_C-30; 04-08-2006 at 09:29 AM.
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:33 AM   #70
shortymac83
hmm...

Well, I hadn't ever given much thought to trucks before buying this one. I mean, it's a truck! WHo cares? I'm the musclecar guy, where if it seats 5 and goes fast, or is huge, seats a bunch and cruises down the interstate at 95 all day, it's my kinda car. So what did I do to end up with a ratty truck that is slow, seats 3 if the bench doesn't fall through the floor and won't do over 65 mph? I saw it, thought it was the most gorgeous thing around, and had to have it. I'd seen ones like it bagged and dropped to the ground with wicked V8's, and my dad's always been a Chevy guy (but has never owned anything more truck-like than a Jeep Cherokee), so he kinda goaded me to buy it.

I fell in love with it when we changed the ignition system and it fired right up and we moved 99% of our stuff in the back of it after it had been sitting for 8 years. That, to me, is a well built vehicle.

Also, it's a chance to "dare to be different." When most people are going with a V8 and an automatic, I'm going to keep the sixer and the 3spd. EFI and a gear vendors unit should help make it a bit more livable, as will 3.08's in the pumpkin. That way, I can still cruise at 95 mph down the highway and not buzz the motor. Besides, who ever sees an EFI'd sixer where it's not supposed to be?

www.fcrperformance.com - wanna go...faster? talk to FCR.

shortymac83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:48 AM   #71
jimmydean

Now that the 67-72 era trucks are in the mid 30's, they start to get noticed. It has always been a favorite body style for me. When I was in high school (class of '89) the classic truck to have was the '55 Chevy. Notice again the mid 30's timeframe for age.

At that time as well, some of my friends were building 60-66 body styles because of the lines, but those trucks hadn't "peaked" for age yet.

That's my $.02
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:53 PM   #72
Rdrdave
Broke and still trying

My dad had a 56 big window since we were kids. We sold it here on the board. When that truck was gone there was no way I was putting anything other that people in my 49 Club Coupe. I wanted a truck without having to deal with the smog issues here in CA. I spotted my 68 lwb and figured I'll need it for the rest of my life. Didn't care of the salvage title because i need a truck. Buying a 40K new one was just way out of the question. I had a 350 sitting around, found a deal on rims/tires and a M21 and have been commuting in it ever since. I look at all the "greenies" and figure hate me when I commute but don't ask me to use it on the weekend when you need to move! I love having a truck and it lets me get away without having a ton of people talking as I can't hear anyone with the 40 flows on it.
Rdrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:00 PM   #73
clay68c10

They just look good. Stock, jacked up, or lowered. And they're modern enough to be easy drivers. And easy to repair/modify. Did I mention they just look good...
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:24 PM   #74
72LNGHRN

Smile Re: Why are our trucks so popular?

DROVE A 72 BLAZER IN HIGH SCHOOL WAS A REAL CHICK MAGNET. JOINED THE MILITARY TOLD MY DAD IF HE EVER WANTED TO SELL IT I WOULD BUY IT. FIF TEEN YEARS LATER OUT OF THE MILITARY HE HAD SOLD IT. FORTUNATLY MY FATHER INLAW WAS SELLING A 72 LONGHORN BOUGHT IT AND HAVE BEEN HAPPY EVER SINCE.EVEN THOUGH IN AZ EMMISIONS IS STILL MANDATORY FOR A 72 IT PASSES WITH FLYING COLORS. NEVER HAD ABETTER TIME IN MY LIFE.
72LNGHRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:22 PM   #75
69face

I just love them like a good woman! I'm just 25 so they were here 15 years before me. I just remember my girlfriends brother having one that scraped the ground and looked so good doing it when i was in high school. It became my favorite truck of all times upon first site. The fact that they look good in stock form and custom form makes it even more ideal. Not married yet so they will be my loyal servants for a while!

I'M SO SO CAL!

Last edited by 69face; 04-08-2006 at 09:23 PM.
69face is offline   Reply With Quote