The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
rustbucket66

Re: Canadian Rustbucket 66

Big day today, for me anyways. Got the engine and trans ready, a 283 powerglide, bolted together and ready to go into the truck. Been looking forward to this day for a while.
Attached Images

rustbucket66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
CRGRS 66

don't leave us hangin dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
rustbucket66

Got it in there, and all the new mounts are tight. A long way to go, and a lot of pieces to attach from here. Nice to get it in there, and have an idea what it will look like. In the last two pics the air cleaner is just sitting on some wood blocks to mock where it will sit. The carb is being rebuilt right now. I am using the original 4jet carb with this cast manifold. I will need to find an adapter between the carb and air cleaner, as the diameter of the air cleaner base is larger. the 4jets have a small diameter for the air cleaner base. Pretty stock, this thing won't be a tire burner at all, mostly a driver that I can just put in gear, and drive it.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
CRGRS 66

looks beautiful, realy, really, beautiful, your hard work shows my friend

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
wannabelower

Looks very nice!
I love the pinstriping on the valve covers and air cleaner.
Mind me asking who did it? Once I have my truck finished, I'd like to get a bunch of things pinstriped on it, and I live relatively close to you.
Great build again!
wannabelower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
northern 85

Looks great!
northern 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
63sbssbbw
UCA63

Awesome work RB!!
Like everyone,I also love those wheels.
You're the same Rustbucket on Cdn Rodder??
T
member#7816
"63 sb ss bbw 350\350 12 bolt rear Pwr Fr Disc PS tilt
'61 GMC in progress
'63 GMC to use for parts
'90 Chevy Ext cab sbfs 5.7l (current d d)
63sbssbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
rustbucket66

Thanks for the nice comments guys.
In answer to your questions -1. The air cleaner is a 50s Cadillac air cleaner, it is a reproduction, and I think if you google the thing, there are several places to get it. Can't remember who I got it through right now.
2. The fella that did the pinstripping is Gary Millar from Calgary. He calls himself GAMboogie, and has done several other things for me in the past, including my glovebox door, the trim on the 57 Chevy golf cart I built, and the valve covers on my car. He is a very cool cat to talk to and has been doing this kind of stuff for years. Well known around Calgary. His website is www.gamboogiekustom.com, you should be able to get a hold of him from the website. 3. No I don't think I am the rustbucket guy from Cdn Hotrodder. I just called myself that because my truck was a real rustbucket to start with. If I had to do it again, I would go to Portland swap meet, or somewhere across the border, and buy a good truck with a mostly rust free cab. I'd be way ahead in both time and money. I just learned the hard way, like a lot of other things.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
rustbucket66

It's been a while, and there are a few things going on. The box is at a metalworkers having the boxsides fixed, and some changes to the tailgate. Pics on that coming soon. Bumpers and some other things are at the platers. Can't wait to get the stuff home, but it is always a big hit when you are picking stuff up from the platers. It drains your wallet fast. I have been installing the wiring kit, and have most of it in. I hid the wires and the washer fluid hose inside a steel tube under the inner fender. There is an aluminum giblet on the firewall that they come out of, then through a grommet and into the tube onderneath. I welded tabs on the tube front and rear, and mounted to the front hood hinge bolt, and an inner fender bolt at the rad support. Keeps wires and hoses out of sight and gives them protection from the water and dirt that the tire will fling around. Wouldn't work for a bagged truck, as the tire comes up in that area. If I did it again, I would have welded the big hole in the firewall, where the wires and hose come out, then have the hole come through the firewall where the inner fender goes around.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
rustbucket66

Also picked up the exhust mainfolds from the coaters. GM rams horns that I ground and buffed smooth, and then took them to these guys that have a paint/ coating that can handle 1200 dgrees. It coats on the inside also, especially good for headers. I am really pleased with how they came out. They almost look chrome, and won't turn blue after the engine has ran for a while.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
McMurphy

Those exhaust headers look very nice!
Did you get them locally or did you order them?

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
gimmy 64

that is really nice!!!!!!!!!
gimmy 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
rustbucket66

Installed the antenna, it is inside the frenched hole where the gas tank filler came out. Comes up with stereo turned on. Braced it on the inside and a drain hose for the antenna and the hole it sits in. The hose goes through a hole in the bottom of the cab.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #14
rustbucket66

I got these kickpanels with the speakers in them from Scott's. They are just held on with duct tape to see how they fit. Most of the air conditioning is installed, just waiting on a couple of other pieces for that. The vent holes are blocked off, as I don't think I will use them with A/C. The condensor and receiver dryer are on, and some of the plumbing. I need to shorten the hoses and get new ends crimped on, and a different bracket for the compressor that puts it more toward the passenger side. The unit under the dash takes up about 3 inches from the back of the glovebox, that you have to trim off. The kit includes a new piece that fastens on the back of the golvebox where it was cut off.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #15
66farmer

I have the same kick panels. How did they fit for you. I have not installed them yet I think it,s going to be hard to use the dimmer switch because of the speaker.

Your truck is looking great!
66farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #16
rustbucket66

I wondered about the dimmer switch also, but I sat in the seat and clicked it a few times. You have to turn your foot a bit sideways, but it wasn't that bad at all. I like the idea, better than cutting holes in the door for speakers.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #17
padresag

hey, wonderful work
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #18
williamsboys

Very nice build dude
Posted via Mobile Device
williamsboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:46 AM   #19
88Lt1wagon

I really like your gas tank design, ideally I'll run something like that eventually. Keep on keepin on

'66 C10 LWB 2 BBL 283 w/ T-5
'90 V1500 Suburban TBI 350 w/ 700R4
88Lt1wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #20
rustbucket66

Thanks for the comments guys. Bomp, I have been following your build for a while now. You certainly listen to a different station than everybody else. You've done a heck of a lot of quality work, and you're not scared of spending long hours on each part. I admire your work and you have some cool ideas.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:22 AM   #21
Killick

Your build looks excellent! Will be watching to see it running around when the weather is a bit more co-operative
Killick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:50 AM   #22
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I've gotten a little behind on your build. I have to say that your box is absolutely awesome Your sheetmetal guy is certainly very talented.

It's too bad we can't all have new box sides like that.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:03 AM   #23
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I’m blown away by your engine compartment and overall build. The details and color selections are striking. I haven’t seen bumpers that beautiful since the 1950’s. And the whole tailgate/bed stuff is unbelievable. Outstanding!
Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 AM   #24
rustbucket66

Wow, thank you for the comments guys, I appreciate it. Great motivation. I've started to install some wiring protectors that go through the cab and into the doors. The wires are for the window switch. First had to hack away some of the door support bracket to get the holesaw access to the front of the door. Man, I've done some cruel and evil things to these doors. First a big hole for the elec windows, and now this. You might notice the window track at the front of the door. That is for the one pieceside glass without a vent window. A lot of changes to the door itself. The first pic shows the wiring protectors that I will use. Next two show the inside of the door at the front, with a piece cut away for clearance. Next is the door jamb with both holes made.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #25
rustbucket66

First 2 pics shows the thing installed from inside the door, and in the door jam. The next shows the part that goes through the cab side of the door jam. You can see the nut through the hole. I had to make it that big to get my fingers in to start the nut, and to get a wrench in there to tighten it. Installed a rubber grommet for the hole, and it's ready for wires. There will be a side panel over top of the hole that has a speaker in it. Now, do it again on the other side.
Attached Images