The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #51
71K20chevy

Re: Cross country…or Bust? Long trip for C10..

The way I look at it is, if something's gonna break, it's gonna break. Whether you're 1 mile or 1000 miles from home. It's just more convenient 1 mile from home I'd do it.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #52
rambler
MOVE OVER

please post your trip plans,, there are tons of members here if you have issues, I am sure one of use is nearby... also looks like a member in Reno will help you look it over..

sounds like a great trip !
Old 03-04-2014, 06:20 PM   #53
gipper

Great looking truck! First thing I would do is change out that plastic fuel filter with a metal one. That plastic is a fire waiting to start!
gipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #54
freezmcnally

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipper View Post
Great looking truck! First thing I would do is change out that plastic fuel filter with a metal one. That plastic is a fire waiting to start!
its a good point, i thought of that when i first saw it. i will put that on the list. maybe move the location a bit too.
freezmcnally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #55
Thundarr

• Critical parts for these things are easy to find and abundant
  • You have a spouse that is unfazed and encouraging which is rare.
  • You have a full network of awesome people on this forum who could help you out if needed along the way.
  • Just have a reputable mechanic give it the full once over BEFORE you fly out there.
  • Signing up for AAA isnt a bad idea. You could cancel it after your trip.
  • You have unlimited storage built in to carry along any emergency items you might need (like a tent, extra fuel, a bicycle, cooler, etc)

Absolutely do it.
Thundarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #56
Orange Crate

Put a sign in the rear window "Arkansas or Bust" you will be surprised at how popular you are. I did that after picking my 72K20 up in Orlando and driving it back to Denver. People can't believe that some old trucks run that well. The only issue I had was the wipers squeaked like mad when it rained so I stopped and bought a can of spray-on white grease...aaahhh that was a nice ride after that. Oh, check the wipers too for good blades before you set off. Enjoy your new truck.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #57
jjzepplin

I drove mine from Cali to Fl. Nice and slow. 5 day trip. Took some time at Motels to check the rig over. Spun a new belt upside down in New Mexico but I had a bed full of Snap-On tools to help out. 2 jerry cans of fuel, 2gallon of oil,1 gallon of gear lube, 1 gallon of trans fluid, tire plugs and a compressor, a spare tire, bunch of cash a bunch of credit, a cell phone, a case of smokes, camp stove and coffee and a small TV extra battery and a dog. Will never forget that trip. 36" swampers for 3000 miles. Not a hiccup til my TCI converter blew up in Fl. About an hour from my final destination. Kept driving cuz it kept moving. Made it though. Lock-up went out. Had to replace the pump and converter.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #58
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

Drive her, I've done 2100 mile road trips in my 67 Chevelle (x3), 63 Chevy II (x2), and a 70 El Camino pulling my 63 Chevy II.

Get roadside assistance. If you break down and need a tow to the next town with a parts store it's invaluable. I personally use Hagerty's top level, it's 125 miles of towing for any vehicle (classic or not) and it was only $150 or $175/year. One tow of 20-30 miles will more than pay for a year's worth of fee. They'll even pay a company to bring gas out to you, that's how I found out my new gas gauge didn't work in my 63 in the middle of nowhere Missouri.

This year alone I've probably used $500 worth of tows: fuel problems in my K20 75 miles from home while pulling a trailer and retrieving my 97 S10 when I bought it with a rod knock 5 miles away. You can even request a specific tow company that's not on their contract, as I have a preferred local company.

Basic tools, a spare fuel filter or three, plenty of fluids, and some form of music (if the radio doesn't work). Just drive here where it feels comfortable and enjoy the scenery. It is a little more enjoyable to divide a drive into multiple days, but I've done half of mine straight through 30 hrs. But that's not fun in a modern car either.

Also, don't try and reset your timing a 3am in Denton, TX. I ended up chasing a miss that resulted from me adjusting the timing in an attempt to get a little better fuel mileage in my 63 Chevy II. After screwing away an hour in a gas station parking lot I undid the adjustment and continued driving for another 1000 miles without problem.
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #59
Beaumont@

Drive it!! That's how I got my 70 c10 flew down to Albuquerque with a wad of cash and drove 1700 miles up to Canada. Enjoyed the trip got to see the Grand Canyon but it was sketchy at times with a worn rag joint and no front sway bar lol
Beaumont@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #60
best view

I would drive it I once took train to ohio to pick up 63 impala with wife 20ooo mile original she wanted to drive it okay I said first toll booth she screams brake pedal slapping to floor I say go through were no cars I run back to booth and pay now shes done driving she says I go down to side street to find brake fluid of turnpike I run7 miles find gas station talk them into selling me some I run back 7 miles thank god I am ironman triathlon cause that was 14 mile round trip fill master good for 2 stops between fill ups 2 in morning a very big deer takes us out and totals car wife wont let drive one back so I ship from now on we tell that story all the time
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:50 PM   #61
Yooper truck

DRIVE IT!!! I did the same thing in 2009, but from Los Angelos to Northern Michigan via Rt. 66. It was a fun adventure that I still enjoy reflecting back on. My wife gave her blesssing.... but I did it alone.

A few tips.

1- Get a AAA membership before you go. They have a couple day requirement before activation so you cannot break down and then join from the side of the road.

2- Bring/buy some simple tools.

3- Do a test run before you leave of 100 or so miles. This lets you know about the cooling system, oil consumption, gas mileage, and allows you to listen for odd sounds before you start trekking across the desert. (Mine had a 3/4 plugged radiator.... glad I did a test run).

4- Enjoy! If everything works out, you have had a fun trip to share memories. If something breaks down, you might have to swallow your pride..... but it will make a good story a few years down the road.
Yooper truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:34 PM   #62
freezmcnally

Quote:
Originally Posted by best view View Post
I would drive it I once took train to ohio to pick up 63 impala with wife 20ooo mile original she wanted to drive it okay I said first toll booth she screams brake pedal slapping to floor I say go through were no cars I run back to booth and pay now shes done driving she says I go down to side street to find brake fluid of turnpike I run7 miles find gas station talk them into selling me some I run back 7 miles thank god I am ironman triathlon cause that was 14 mile round trip fill master good for 2 stops between fill ups 2 in morning a very big deer takes us out and totals car wife wont let drive one back so I ship from now on we tell that story all the time
uhhhh. wow.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:41 PM   #63
freezmcnally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crate View Post
Put a sign in the rear window "Arkansas or Bust" you will be surprised at how popular you are. I did that after picking my 72K20 up in Orlando and driving it back to Denver. People can't believe that some old trucks run that well. The only issue I had was the wipers squeaked like mad when it rained so I stopped and bought a can of spray-on white grease...aaahhh that was a nice ride after that. Oh, check the wipers too for good blades before you set off. Enjoy your new truck.
LOL nice
Old 03-04-2014, 10:55 PM   #64
dajn
Account Suspended

Go for it. The original motor was most likely replaced with a good 350 with electronic igntion. As long as the pickup is solid and in good working order when you leave you should have no problem. Have at least ten gallons of gas in cans in the box just in case and keep your eyes peeled for the nearest gas station at all times. 60 mph tops and take your time. Goodluck sir. Godspeed.
dajn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:59 PM   #65
slowcpe

With the popularity of this thread you are now required to start a thread and document your journey....with pics of course!
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:14 PM   #66
freezmcnally

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
With the popularity of this thread you are now required to start a thread and document your journey....with pics of course!
yes, by all means!, i really didn't think it would be that big of a deal when i started this thread. but i definitely will.
The epic journey will start on april 14th. so the unfortunate part is i won't be able to see my cool new truck for another month. but i will make sure we take lots of pics and write along the way.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:15 PM   #67
freezmcnally

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajn View Post
Go for it. The original motor was most likely replaced with a good 350 with electronic igntion. As long as the pickup is solid and in good working order when you leave you should have no problem. Have at least ten gallons of gas in cans in the box just in case and keep your eyes peeled for the nearest gas station at all times. 60 mph tops and take your time. Goodluck sir. Godspeed.
copy that! i will be buying two cans. thank you.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:18 PM   #68
In The Ten Ring

I would drive a truck back myself if I thought it would make it. I am not very experienced on these trucks though...

I think the advice on here is pretty good....I hadn't thought of contacting forum members along the way....

Myself I'd stay off interstates to give the truck a break and to see more of the country.

I assume you will bring tools that will allow you to survive becoming a victim in case you happen across someone that might want the truck enough to demand it. Be sure to abide by local laws.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:34 PM   #69
freezmcnally

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
I would drive a truck back myself if I thought it would make it. I am not very experienced on these trucks though...

I think the advice on here is pretty good....I hadn't thought of contacting forum members along the way....

Myself I'd stay off interstates to give the truck a break and to see more of the country.

I assume you will bring tools that will allow you to survive becoming a victim in case you happen across someone that might want the truck enough to demand it. Be sure to abide by local laws.
i have thought of that as well. need to figure that out how to fly there with tools and then journey laws
Old 03-04-2014, 11:50 PM   #70
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

This may help on the states that reciprocate for Concealed Carry.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Airline travel with a firearm:
http://www.wikihow.com/Travel-on-Airplanes-With-a-Gun
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:06 AM   #71
imjeff

Do it! We actually used to drive old trucks thousands of miles without a cell phone (gasp)! I flew out to pick my K10 up, gave it a once over, and drove it 600 miles home that afternoon. If it runs well and has fluid you should be just fine...and you can post pictures of a great adventure! Most problems seem to happen in town either starting or stopping. Go Captain Ron on it and have fun!

Jeff
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:20 AM   #72
silentt

My vote is do it!!

I did it once for my old 1980 c10 and also picked up a 1986 mustang gt for my buddy. I love all the crazy memories you get on the road.
silentt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:27 AM   #73
dajn
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post

I agree. So unbelievable that a person can't try to enjoy life without others trying to ruin everything . A pistol behind the seat is a good idea just in case. Just for peace of mind. It's too bad that's the way it is.
dajn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:09 AM   #74
JasonLS1

if your planned route has you passing thru Gallup NM, im here if you need any emergency help. Some areas of I40 have Route 66 to drive on, but mostly interstate only. I drove with the flashers on during the day and at night. Definitely plan extra days, take your time. When i picked up my K20 i gave it a once over and 6 hours later all was well. After i did that long trip I was more confident how dependable the truck will be, and a nice long trip exposes what needs fixing/improvement to make it better for the next long trip.

Like others have said, pics must be posted along the way
Old 03-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #75
hamjet

I'd go for it also, it sounds exciting, alot of good advice from guys, the only other thing I would bring are some ear plugs. 4 or 5 hours of hearing the engine screaming you'll wish you had them. unless the truck had alot of sound deadener, they can be noisy. good luck!