The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2010, 11:47 PM   #51
Twisted78SS
Wide n'Low

Re: Headed to court again...for restoring classic trucks!

Frank,

ETsC10 could not have said it better! and it reflects my sentiments exactly.

Anything we can do, please let us know!

Quote'

Frank that sucks big time!

I mean---you're off in the boondocks, keep a low profile, have your
second hand dealer's license, have documentation for the rigs...
...what the H??!!! do they want??

If there's anything I can do...(and I'm sure many of our other local
board members feel the same way)...I will write letters, show my
support in court, whatever......just say the word!

For Gods sake---we're talking 40 year old parts here!
Twisted78SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:53 PM   #52
neba

and what is the rest of the story? are you out in the country or in a residential area? how close are your neighbors? do you have a few trucks or 20 parked on the front lawn?
neba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:10 AM   #53
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Thanks for the great support! I am not looking for sympathy, but rather issuing a warning that authorities are increasing pressure on auto hobbyists, collectors and restorers. It threatens our very existence. Please don't make this about politics, but rather about our protection. The politicians can be our best allies to stop this. They can pass laws, we can't.
I am a member of SEMA and they provide good updates on actions in each state. They do not fight individual battles.
There is no problem with my neighbors. I am located on several rural acres, completely surrounded by heavy tree buffers and many of them are building cool rides too. The county actually allows "active restoration" of classic vehicles in our area, without limits.
The problems are coming from the state, as mentioned. They are increasing enforcement of these wrecking yard license requirements for restoration and parts...and their fines are soaring. They have elected to not recognize these county jurisdictions and act as if they don't exist.
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:53 AM   #54
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by neba View Post
and what is the rest of the story? are you out in the country or in a residential area? how close are your neighbors? do you have a few trucks or 20 parked on the front lawn?
You Paul Harvey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICKMUP View Post
Thanks for the great support! I am not looking for sympathy, but rather issuing a warning that authorities are increasing pressure on auto hobbyists, collectors and restorers. It threatens our very existence. Please don't make this about politics, but rather about our protection. The politicians can be our best allies to stop this. They can pass laws, we can't.
I am a member of SEMA and they provide good updates on actions in each state. They do not fight individual battles.
There is no problem with my neighbors. I am located on several rural acres, completely surrounded by heavy tree buffers and many of them are building cool rides too. The county actually allows "active restoration" of classic vehicles in our area, without limits.
The problems are coming from the state, as mentioned. They are increasing enforcement of these wrecking yard license requirements for restoration and parts...and their fines are soaring. They have elected to not recognize these county jurisdictions and act as if they don't exist.
Put me on the list of names if there's something to sign. I think it sucks royally.
highperf4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:56 AM   #55
VA72C10
VA72C10

Sorry to hear about this and thanks for the warning for the rest of us.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:45 PM   #56
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Brief update---I promise brief!
It was a grueling two days in the court hearing. Lawyers argued legal language technicalities. You know, IS IS or IS IS not IS type symantics.
1. The AG's case was: There was a used part sold-that's a violation and the fine should be MAX!
2. The WSP officer testified that sometimes a person CAN sell their parts and other times they must have a wrecker license. He doesn't have any specific standards or rules. He decides when that action becomes "commercial" and he does not issue warnings.
3. The high ranking DOL official that decides whether to process an action against a person, also testified that some persons CAN sell their parts without a wrecker license. There are no standards or rules to determine when or how much. She decided the pics of my home with trucks & parts looked well organized, with like-items stacked together, like a wrecking yard would have.
4. The judge will take a few weeks to decide...
I will let you know.
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #57
dirtball

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICKMUP View Post
She decided the pics of my home with trucks & parts looked well organized, with like-items stacked together, like a wrecking yard would have.
I am sure her pantry has like items stacked together, like a grocery store would have.

Last edited by dirtball; 02-26-2010 at 11:11 PM.
dirtball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #58
nickp51chevy
Registered Chevy Owner

From what I'm understanding is; if you want to have a bunch of trucks in your yard for parts or future projects, have them speratic on your property as to not resemble a wrecking yard. Organization leads to problems.

1970 Chevy CST C10 long box 350/400
2008 Chevy Silverado short box 4x4

Had;
1951 Chevy short box 307/T5
1988 Chevy shot box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C20 long box 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 350/350
nickp51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #59
67vetteal

OK, I have been having a Manhattan, enjoying a fire and watching the snow fall. It's at times like these that I think the most clearly. So here goes. Hopefully the Judge will realize you are a hobbiest from your photos. Civil Liberties provide for "The Pursuit of Happiness.". Case closed! Our trucks make us Happy. D&%#* Bureaucrats! Good Luck/Fortune to you my friend!
Al W.

Last edited by 67vetteal; 02-26-2010 at 07:07 PM.
67vetteal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:44 PM   #60
meyer4589

Same thing happened to my Uncle this past summer. He got busted for supposedly running a scrap yard in his backyard. He restores Oldsmobiles as a side job, and the neighbors were complaining about the three parts cars in his back yard so they reported him to the village he lives in
meyer4589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #61
Todersauce

An old deputy taught me a trick that he learned on the job about selling items for security for personal safety. He would load up what ever he was selling in his truck and meet the buyer at a store or lot some place because he didn’t want anyone to know where he lived or what he had in or around his home. I have tried to use this as well because I have tools and parts that I want to keep. Nothing like inviting a thief into your home to scope out you're belongings. Sounds like this is one more situation to add to the list of why not to sell items from my house, if they don’t know they can’t tax or fine me. This obviously won’t help you but some one else might use it.

Hope you’re cleared and continue life as normal so I can come buy parts from you.
Todersauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:14 PM   #62
John Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Have you thought about contacting SEMA are similar organizations? It might be worth looking in to.
Bingo! SEMA SAN (SEMA Action Network) www.semasan.com is good place to learn about what's going on with all of the new laws regarding our hobby, or lifestyle as I like to think of it. These things vary from state to state, but trust me during my years at CCT I spoke with a lot of folks in different states with some problems that would make one think Adolph Hitler was alive and well.

Beyond this wonderful new change the current administration is hellbent on shoving down all of our throats, scrappage laws, etc. I'm sure it's just all about the money... Pay 12-G's and it all goes away.

— That's my two cents
John Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #63
Huck

Can you provide pictures and bills of sale of restorations that you do? Examples of your "restoration business"might sway the Judge.
Did the pictures of the neatly placed items have any signs including prices? Do they have any evidence of pricing sheets or advertising? Are you listed in the yellow pages as a salvage business? Did the part purchased simply reflect an excess item from a restoration? If someone does "small engine repair" such as lawn mowers or lawn tractors--if they have an extra part from a repair and someone askes if you would sell it to them for their classic cub cadet lawn tractor---is this a salvage yard?
You need numbers----numbers of others who do classic restorations---John Deere tractors, old cub cadets, motorcycles, ---can you engage some car clubs to show up in the court room---if you filled the court house with people and signs----I think the judge would throw the charge out of court. If you are the Lone Ranger---it will cost you a bundle and the odds are you will probably loose.
Why not create a quick list of all our local board members--and ask them to come show their support---I think you might be surprized at how many guys will find the time to break away and come stand by your side---win or loose---it will make a big difference to you and to the court. Create a phone list with each guy promising to call 4-5 others--and before you know it----everyone within 50 miles will be aware and supportive. Can't hurt. Good luck---Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #64
nad24LA

Lets try and keep politcal statements to a minimum...or statements that can be taken that way. Thanks

Last edited by 70cst; 02-27-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Political????
nad24LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #65
special-K
Special Order

I have my parts organized and placed with like items,but don`t sell.It`s known as organized and appreciated by all "thinking" types with no other motives up their sleeves.What the common decent folk don`t appreciate is the opposite.Restoration is legal as long as you`re not organized?The best restorations come from an organized effort.But,what would a bunch of hob-nobbin`Hush Puppy wearin`pencil pushers know about that?Maybe we need to start petitioning their hobbies...such as poking their snouts in the business of others.What happened to the right to privacy?You`re in a private setting.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #66
nad24LA

Talking Re: Headed to court again...for restoring classic trucks!

You said it! It sound sounds like this WSP officer hasn't had P@#!%y since it had him. Or maybe he don't like girls.
nad24LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:32 PM   #67
glider_6969

It's those kind of "officials" that give the good officials a bad name.
Hope things work out in your favour. I agee with the rest of the guys that WSP is full of
glider_6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:39 PM   #68
OARNGESI

Just curious is the main issue with selling the parts or dismantling trucks
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:58 PM   #69
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I have my parts organized and placed with like items,but don`t sell.It`s known as organized and appreciated by all "thinking" types with no other motives up their sleeves.What the common decent folk don`t appreciate is the opposite.Restoration is legal as long as you`re not organized?The best restorations come from an organized effort.But,what would a bunch of hob-nobbin`Hush Puppy wearin`pencil pushers know about that?Maybe we need to start petitioning their hobbies...such as poking their snouts in the business of others.What happened to the right to privacy?You`re in a private setting.
Amen brother hope all goes well for you for the sake of you and the rest of us common folk
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:15 PM   #70
Sublvr72
Account Suspended

This thread is an interesting read, good luck. Can't wait to see what the end result is.
Sublvr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:27 PM   #71
LEEVON

I wish you the best of luck. Fight, fight, fight. Sadly these kind of laws have no effect on neighbors like mine, they have 40 acres full of 50+ years worth of relocated buildings, scrap, vehicles, you name it. Been hauling a semi load/month for 2 years and barely making a dent. None of my business really and I would never complain to anybody but I would be happy if all they had were a few choice vehicles that had a PURPOSE.

Is this a business thing or a storage thing? It seems to be motivated by business/tax laws..?
Old 02-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #72
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Unhappy Re: Headed to court again...for restoring classic trucks!

good luck on this Frank, it's real sad when it's illegal to have a hobby like our trucks. that cop must have been really bored and a real a$$hole on top of it all. my cousin and myself used to part out 67-72s at the house my aunt and uncle owned, even the though the street is lined with houses it is zoned commercial and we were never bothered by the authorities-we had no license and had as many as 30 trucks at a time in the back yard. i guess it helped that we sold parts to all the local law enforcement officers with 67-72 trucks. one officer lived directly across the street but he was into trucks too.
again, i wish you the best of luck. i hope they throw all the charges out and let you get back to your normal life.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:03 AM   #73
chev-obsession

WSP is always looking out for innocent people to pick on....

they give out tickets like its candy too
Old 02-27-2010, 01:08 AM   #74
Musclerodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtball View Post
I am sure her pantry has like items stacked together, like a grocery store would have.
brilliant
Old 02-27-2010, 01:11 AM   #75
nickp51chevy
Registered Chevy Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev-obsession View Post
they give out tickets like its candy too
I'm not defending them, but it's their only job; handing out tickets. I've even heard that they ticket their own.

1970 Chevy CST C10 long box 350/400
2008 Chevy Silverado short box 4x4

Had;
1951 Chevy short box 307/T5
1988 Chevy shot box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C20 long box 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 350/350
nickp51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote