The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
BMERDOC

New Guy, Real Question

Hey All, My name is Nick. I've gotta admit I've been spyin on you guys for a while to solve my problems but now I have a real one and I can't solve it. Im gonna introduce myself then tell you my problem, I'll try to be as brief as possible.

I'm a 37 y/o BMW mechanic, been with them since '96. I ended up that way because I grew up loving hot rods. Unfortunately, Richmond, Va is not the center of the Hot Rod Universe. So i looked for someone who had great benefits, high pay and something as close to a hot rod as they could muster. I found BMW. If you research them or know about them you know that even the most mundane BMW is a Hot Rod by definition, RWD, 4w discs, handling unmatched by competitors and so on.

I have always loved cars and life has not imersed me in a hobby, more of a job. Marriage, kids, bills, you know. Finally, I decided I need to do what I was born to do and tracked down number one on my list of all time favorite cars. I found a runnin, drivin 1967 short bed C10 for $700.00! I took minutes for me to tell the guy I wanted it. He brought it to the house on May 12, 2011. I've had to do a lot of work but I expect to be doin dounuts by the end of this comin weekend.

Enough about me, now my problem. Let me preface this by saying this truck will be upgraded and upgraded and upgraded somemore. I know about the upgrades but I need what I have to work now.

One of my final projects before leaving the driveway to go to the nearest gas station is the front drum brakes soooo... I replaced the brake hoses, whl cyls, and shoes. When refurbishing the drums I was installing the seal and noticed the seal didn't want to go flush with the back of the drum race. I guess I ruined it. My question is this: Should the rear seal on the front drums sit proud of the drum by several millimeters or should it be "driven home". The wear pattern on the spindle looks like it should sit proud to seal on the base of the spindle.

I look forward to talking, helping and sharing my experiences with you guys!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote