The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #51
joey8383

Re: build it in the A:: mint 69 lwb LS swap

I didn't have any spacer. Who knows what CPP sent you??.... Pics? Leave everything loose and play with it. I had to shave the back of my motor mounts. There was a ridge right in the middle. My motor mounts originally came from CPP but I ripped one trying to the motor down so mine are from the parts store now. They were identical. Had to grind the backs smooth on all them.
joey8383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:20 PM   #52
lowlyfec10

but i have plenty of pix posted on the 2nd page

the mounts have no ridge or dimple, the piece i was referring to is what Energy Suspension calls a preload plate. im removing them considering its a flat piece of metal and the adapter plate can do the same job lol i think i will have a better time bolting stuff up now
lowlyfec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:32 PM   #53
joey8383

I missed the pic.. Sorry. And that was a shot to CPP, not you.

Maybe Brian will Chime in, my set up is just their sheet metal stands, SBC mounts, and Ebay adapter plates. I'm not much help, sorry
joey8383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #54
lowlyfec10

lol all good. the part numbers match with what was ordered. i'll do the test fit again this weekend....might just say F it and run with the truck pan for the time being and swap pans when i bag it
Old 12-06-2014, 10:28 PM   #55
DKclassis72

sweet build! curious to what color code your truck is?
DKclassis72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #56
lowlyfec10

-havent looked at the spid lately if its on there but my guess is 503 light green...and i love it. im going to get some matching semi-gloss paint and do my valve covers in it. the block will get some black paint.

-couldnt redo a test fit last weekend due to crappy weather so i hope to do it this weekend.

-i finally finished up the harness last night. just needs some tape and to be re-loomed. every terminal was soldered along with any wire splices. and i figured out which one of the 2 pink wires i had coming from the NSS is needed for the reverse light function...hooray lol

-i am picking up a set of tbss manifolds with the downpipes for $50 from a local friend

-another friend found me a complete ls1 fbody pan setup for 180 shipped with a new oil pan gasket.

......so i guess you could say things are getting pretty serious now.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #57
mcbassin
Still Learning

Just about time for a fire up video.....
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #58
lowlyfec10

lol i wish!

still gotta do my whole fuel system setup. still undecided with what tank to go with in the back. and i still need a throttle body, trans linkage, figure if the driveshaft needs to be shortened or not, etc, etc....meh

but i just want to get it bolted in the truck atleast so i can throw the front clip back on lol
Old 12-10-2014, 11:03 PM   #59
DKclassis72

Thanks man! 503 doesn't look the same as your truck but who knows. its probably the same color. I've never had good luck looking up the old spid color diagrams that look accurate with paint jobs.

good luck with your build!
Old 12-10-2014, 11:05 PM   #60
DKclassis72

Thanks man! 503 doesn't look the same as your truck but who knows. its probably the same color. I've never had good luck looking up the old spid color diagrams that look accurate with paint jobs.

good luck with your build!
Old 12-11-2014, 01:51 AM   #61
lowlyfec10

here is the spid code.....says green/white two-tone is what it used to be originally....?? what color is 503 supposed to look like? i saw a bunch of seafoam/light green trucks when i tried searchin it up

Old 12-15-2014, 02:37 PM   #62
lowlyfec10

got some high temp primer on it after cleaning all the dirt and crap off lol

mmmm 6.0
Old 01-09-2015, 02:18 AM   #63
69sinker

Looking good! Ive been following your build, just thought Id subscribe. Ill be passing thru Atlanta again in a month headed for Florida, maybe Ill see you on the road again!
Old 01-09-2015, 07:33 AM   #64
jjzepplin

Gotta see how this turns out for sure. Quick progress! Where did you find a 6.0 truck for a grand? SCHWEET!
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:39 PM   #65
dkauffman05

Great progress man ! Another local c10 ls build.
dkauffman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #66
lowlyfec10

so searching has been disabled. why? idk.... lol but it sucks tryna find old threads and stuff.
anywho......made a lil progress. been quite cold and crappy weather in GA lately and money has been lean. would be easier if i had a garage, right? lol

managed to find an ls1 fbody pan setup for 170 shipped. the flexible dipstick he used/said he used turns out to be for a bbc and not an ls1 application so now i need a dipstick. oh well.
new oem pan gasket, rear cover gasket and rear main seal....free xmas present from a buddy of mine. score!
got the pan put on and new gaskets/seal put on. cleaned and painted the block gloss black. just cleaned the trans up....had layers of red dirt on it. replaced the input shaft/pump seal. bolted them together.

also noticed i have one broken exhaust manifold stud on the driver rear. gotta extract that.

sunday i managed to get the drivetrain sat down into the truck. unbolted the th400 trans member cuz it needed to be slid back a couple inches. had to put the cpp stands in the 6cyl frame holes so i need to drill the holes in the xmember for the bottom bolts. need to order a new 4l80 poly mount since the original was torn apart during removal from donor. then i will bolt the mount to the member and try to get the drivetrain centered out so i can mark the holes i need to drill....then permanently bolt the drivetrain down.

idk if thats just how the pan or member is made....but seems offcenter. i think the pan is made a lil narrow on the driver side.

passenger side. im guessing the stands will level out once tightened down. but brian said his did the same thing when using the 6cyl frame holes. i snugged down the sliders so the plates were pretty even on both sides but the holes on the stands are offset of eachother. -_- he also said his did this too.

and for the passenger side....

i have the sliders mounted so i have the most rearward movement possible. they arent all the way back but here is where the motor sets now.... i have about 4 fingers gap between the backside of the head to the inside curve of the firewall. should i push it back more?

Old 01-20-2015, 11:02 AM   #67
lowlyfec10

also, idk how cpp is claiming to use the v8 frame holes but there is no way the ls1 pan can clear with my setup in those holes.
i had to use the 6cyl frame holes, slider plates mounted for most rear adjustment......have atleast an inch if not more of rear adjustment but i am able to clear the pan from the xmember currently.
**just a note**
Old 01-20-2015, 11:56 AM   #68
Justin@EntropyRad

You can find me in the Aaaaaay....had to

Cool build progress!

I think i've seen your buddies Taco on another forum..only so many of them on RPF1s
Sales/Support
Entropy Radiator / Engineered Cooling Products
"The Sexiest Radiators For The Sexiest Hot Rods" - www.EntropyRad.com www.speedcooling.com
Justin@EntropyRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:15 PM   #69
lowlyfec10

lol yeah man. he only had 2 but just took them off recently to have all matching 350z wheels.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:00 AM   #70
lowlyfec10

bought a new ES poly trans mount and bolted to the xmember to start playing with the fitment more.
so i got the drivetrain to push back some more.....roughly 2-2.5" from the head to firewall now.

the th400 xmember is hitting a bracket on the driver side of the frame and the trans is hitting the pinchweld on the firewall.

guess i'll make sure the xmember is even and centered.....drill those holes and drill the holes in the xmember for the cpp stand lower holes.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:31 PM   #71
502ms

wow - you are making progress - I would not want to make it too snug to the firewall though....you might want to have some wiggle room later....not to mention the engine cover and getting to the oil sending unit on the top of the engine behind the intake manifold...not to mention if you change to different valve covers or to do service under there....just a thought.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:39 PM   #72
lowlyfec10

yeah im content with how it is currently. plenty of room to work behind the motor. just gonna bend the pinchweld up and start drillin holes to bolt her down for good! was hopin to do that this weekend but just remembered i gotta visit home in SC :\
Old 03-13-2015, 09:42 AM   #73
lowlyfec10

after going through some hassle with cpp (charging me for an exchange/not applying my forum discount/etc) i swapped the lac sliders for the standard sliders. after some more fighting i realized i had to remove the spacer/preload plates for the poly mounts to make everything fit.

now it all fits! lol waiting on the cpp trans member to come in...which should be today. ready to start buttoning this thing together then gettin all the lil bits and pieces for everything else...however i just found a local guy selling a pb dm..... -____- not what i needed to see since im already on a tight budget and want this swap done hahaha
Old 03-15-2015, 09:00 PM   #74
502ms

Glad to see you coming along! Let me know if you need any help or motivation.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:08 PM   #75
lowlyfec10

Got the cpp trans member bolted in today....glad to say she is finally set down in the position i am happy with. All i gotta do is snug all the bolts down then work on the rest of stuff needed. Still need to extract 1 broken exhaust manifold bolt but not a huge priority until im ready to throw the clip back on lol
I got the trans lines set up and cut the ends off in front of the motor. Ill flare the ends and run trans cooler hose to the griffin rad.
Attached Images