The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #51
bigblock73
yeller

Re: 6" front drop question

Ooooh man, am I furious!

I called STD, basically I am screwed because I installed the coils! No refund or exchange..he did offer me a discount on shocks...

This guy insist that the Western Chassis springs are rated/designed based on engine size. As an argument point from his side, he swears that my 1" Bell Tech (BT) springs are 1" springs for a small block, but they are 3" springs for a big block. I told him BT doesn't specify a difference based on engine size, he said "Yes they do"...but his "book" doesn't break it down that far.

My truck sat exactly the same, regardless of engine size...there is no way my truck sat 2" lower than it did just because I put in the big block.

He then tried to turn it around saying it was my fault I didn't tell him I had 1" BT springs from the get go...he said he could have figured out the correct spring for me based on that info. This coming from the same guy who insist my truck now sits 2" lower than it did once I put in the big block. I have pics to prove it doesn't!

So, moral of the story...DO NOT ORDER FROM SPORT TRUCK DIRECT! I have been burned by them twice, that's enough!

Last edited by bigblock73; 05-21-2007 at 02:05 PM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:25 PM   #52
jr2

That blows Jeff!!!

I have found out many times now that ordering online or over the phone gives the companies an easy way out in almost everyway. Mainly because you are not stainding in front of them and threatening them with physical bodily harm! I feel for ya man!!
-1967 Nova 2dr HT & a couple others...

Last edited by jr2; 05-21-2007 at 02:26 PM.
jr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:07 PM   #53
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
Ooooh man, am I furious!

I called STD, basically I am screwed because I installed the coils! No refund or exchange..he did offer me a discount on shocks...

This guy insist that the Western Chassis springs are rated/designed based on engine size. As an argument point from his side, he swears that my 1" Bell Tech (BT) springs are 1" springs for a small block, but they are 3" springs for a big block. I told him BT doesn't specify a difference based on engine size, he said "Yes they do"...but his "book" doesn't break it down that far.

My truck sat exactly the same, regardless of engine size...there is no way my truck sat 2" lower than it did just because I put in the big block.

He then tried to turn it around saying it was my fault I didn't tell him I had 1" BT springs from the get go...he said he could have figured out the correct spring for me based on that info. This coming from the same guy who insist my truck now sits 2" lower than it did once I put in the big block. I have pics to prove it doesn't!

So, moral of the story...DO NOT ORDER FROM SPORT TRUCK DIRECT! I have been burned by them twice, that's enough!
thanks for the heads up. no more ordering or sending orders their way.
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:33 PM   #54
69BBsuburban
Right in front of you.

That sucks Jeff........so what's the plan now????
'68 Dodge Charger R/T
1930 Ford Model A
69BBsuburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:08 PM   #55
jr2

Hey maybe we could all chip in on the cost of a cutoff wheel for ya It only takes 1 or 2 to chop a set of springs.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:12 PM   #56
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2 View Post
Hey maybe we could all chip in on the cost of a cutoff wheel for ya It only takes 1 or 2 to chop a set of springs.
LMAO!!

I already cut my BT coils last night, took off half a spring...did it with ONE cut off wheel too!!

I will put them in and see where I sit (no pun intended).
Old 05-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #57
jr2

I TOTALLY feel for ya Jeff.. Been there before.. Chalk it up to experience.. The world just ain't the happy/friendly place it used to be.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #58
AirMale

I am reading this post late but just want to say if your springs don't seat correctly it won't show how much it trully has dropped. If the truck drives then take a spin around the block and make sure to bounce the front of the truck too. Good luck and where are the freakin pics?
AirMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:16 PM   #59
bigblock73
yeller

Airmale, truck does not drive...but I have bounced the front up and down, and pushed it back and forth from the garage/driveway a couple times (while pushing up and down..challenging in itself).

I will get pics of the truck when I get the BT coils back in.

Last edited by bigblock73; 05-21-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:57 PM   #60
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Jeff, if I had known you were about to order from Sport Truck Direct, I would have told you not to. They are a bunch of jerks and don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Not but one place to order drop parts from as far as I'm concerned and that is Performance Suspension Components. They know what is what and won't lie you just to get out of something.

Hate to hear you got ripped. I had my dealings with them long ago and for sure won't go back.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:45 PM   #61
bigblock73
yeller

Mike, my first order from them was my flip kit and c-notch. The flip kit came with the incorrect U-bolts (they were larger than my axle), and I was shorted two nuts for the bolt in c-notch. I called them and they said this stuff ships direct from the mfr, and since their 48 hour return policy passed, I was SOL.

I kind of believed them, that is was not entirely their fault...but I still felt they could have tried harder to keep a customer in me. Now I will make it my mission to inform everyone who has drop kit questions NOT to go thru STD!
Old 05-21-2007, 09:29 PM   #62
boatpuller

Quote:
Hey jeff,
If you can slide a fullsize jack under it it ain't low enough... This shot is before I added fluids and everything else for weight. This is 3" drop spindles and 3" drop springs.

BUT~ I do not have standard offset wheels either ( I think) 5" backspacing with 1.5" spacers (good ones not junkers) and 235x60x15 tires. It looks really good because it get's the wheel/tire package back out of the fenderwell.

Doesn't hit the inner fenders or the fender lip. The control arms are lower than the rim lip (which is lillegal but I didn't plan it that way) Hope it never gets a flat
you nailed the look jr...........i like it big time.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #63
boatpuller

Quote:
Mike, my first order from them was my flip kit and c-notch. The flip kit came with the incorrect U-bolts (they were larger than my axle), and I was shorted two nuts for the bolt in c-notch. I called them and they said this stuff ships direct from the mfr, and since their 48 hour return policy passed, I was SOL.

I kind of believed them, that is was not entirely their fault...but I still felt they could have tried harder to keep a customer in me. Now I will make it my mission to inform everyone who has drop kit questions NOT to go thru STD!
hang in there jeff.you'll get the stance.it gets frustrating when you gotta do everything 3 or 4 times.but hey,you'll be a spring install guru when your done.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:32 PM   #64
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
you nailed the look jr...........i like it big time.
That makes two of us! Niiiice!
Old 05-22-2007, 09:16 PM   #65
bigblock73
yeller

OK, got the "3" inch coils springs back out and installed my old BT 1" coils minus 1/2 coil. Here are the best before shots I could get...it was raining out and getting dark, so the pics suck, but you get the idea. This is supposed to be a 6" drop.
Attached Images

Last edited by bigblock73; 05-22-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:20 PM   #66
bigblock73
yeller

Here are the after shots, again, I know they suck but mother nature was not cooperating. The drivers side sits about 1/2" higher than the passenger side...but the caster is off on this side (missing UCA shims), and I have not had a chance to push the truck back and forth any to see if it settles any more. I will push it outside tomorrow and get better pictures. I think it sits about perfect, but I may lose another 1/4" coil...might wait until the front end is completely installed and all fluids are in the engine before I do any more. BTW, took me 35 minutes from start to finish to install these coils back in the truck...bet I could do it in 30 if I have to do it again!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by bigblock73; 05-22-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:41 AM   #67
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Jeff:

I emailed STD three times through their website with questions about the drop stuff I wanted to buy from them. They never responded. That right there told me I they don't believe in customer service, and that I didn't want to deal with them.

Good luck...

Slonaker
Old 05-23-2007, 02:28 AM   #68
dubdeuce80

Quote:
Hey jeff,
If you can slide a fullsize jack under it it ain't low enough... This shot is before I added fluids and everything else for weight. This is 3" drop spindles and 3" drop springs.

BUT~ I do not have standard offset wheels either ( I think) 5" backspacing with 1.5" spacers (good ones not junkers) and 235x60x15 tires. It looks really good because it get's the wheel/tire package back out of the fenderwell.

Doesn't hit the inner fenders or the fender lip. The control arms are lower than the rim lip (which is lillegal but I didn't plan it that way) Hope it never gets a flat
do you happen to have any pics from the side? i thought i had a 6" drop up front, but mine looked a little lower...
dubdeuce80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:35 PM   #69
jr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdeuce80 View Post
do you happen to have any pics from the side? i thought i had a 6" drop up front, but mine looked a little lower...
LOWER?? I didn't know you could go any lower than this without being a "Total Turtle Killer"? Let's see what I got here for a piucture for ya...Not the most flattering picture but it shows the height in the front. The second shows how low the control arms are.

And I know its low when I scrape off the high spots on my (pretty darned flat) gravel driveway The rim lips are actually higher than the control arms. I'll try to get a better head on shot tonight with it sittin in the shop on the slab.

Last edited by jr2; 05-23-2007 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:59 PM   #70
dubdeuce80

hm...well i don't really have any good pics that don't have a ton of shadow under it. it might be the same, just my rear was lower so my eyes are playing tricks on me. heres a pic of my lowest static, like i said, a lot of shadow

dubdeuce80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #71
bigblock73
yeller

Rear flip kit drops can be confusing...they are advertised at 5 inches...but if you have HD rear springs...it will be more. So a 5" drop on a LD truck, can be a 6" drop for a HD truck

Last edited by bigblock73; 05-23-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:11 PM   #72
jr2

[QUOTE=dubdeuce80;2187607]hm...well i don't really have any good pics that don't have a ton of shadow under it. it might be the same, just my rear was lower so my eyes are playing tricks on me. heres a pic of my lowest static, like i said, a lot of shadow

If you look at the center of your wheel you will see that it is pretty much in the same area as mine. I think you just have larger diameter tires so it creates an optical illusion. That and the rear being dropped lower than the front too.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:24 PM   #73
jr2

Quote:
Rear flip kit drops can be confusing...they are advertised at 5 inches...but if you have HD rear springs...it will be more. So a 5" drop on a LD truck, can be a 6" drop for a HD truck
You kow Jeff I am not actually sure what springs I do have in the back but I am pretty sure they are standard. The truck was a stocker C-10 no frills 3sp/column/6cyl truck. I have 3 leafs with what looks to be a factory overload under the stack. My rear is a flip kit with 2" blocks.

Last edited by jr2; 05-23-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:30 PM   #74
bigblock73
yeller

You suspension is the standard light duty setup (3+1), mine is like 6+1. Mine is flipped, no blocks, but 2" drop shackles. By the numbers your rear drop is 7, mine should be 8...but they sit about the same in the back. Just throwing my thoughts out there, as I am clearly no expert...STD is.

In your latest pic, it looks like your shock is not on all the way.

Last edited by bigblock73; 05-23-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:36 PM   #75
benoit454
Chris

dubduece80,

what kinda drop you run front and rear? I love it!!!!!

I too wondered like alot of you guys if you could get like 2.5 plus drop spindles and springs, and combine them for like 5+inches of drop.

Then out back, flip kit with blocks like above, shackles, hangers, or lowering leafs, and combine thoose.

That stepside front end from the front sure looks low. I don't think I could go that low, I'd always hit the control arms. I love the look it has, but from the side it does seem higher then the front pic. Like I said, love it, but doubt I could run one that low.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote