The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #51
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: I've been contacted by "Counting cars"...what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54belair View Post
The only thing Ive seen with more BS than the car reality shows--is a feed lot.
Most of it is sooo fake its not even entertaining. They definitely target the "non car guys."
Well, that's a real kick in the pants to a lot of board members who watch those shows.....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #52
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 C10 MJW View Post
... and he is way too cocky lol
Are we watching the same show? I have always thought that he was very humble and polite. Seems like he would be a pretty down to Earth guy to hang with. The episodes I have seen, he has been very respectful and doesn't bash the rides he is trying to buy. Maybe it's just me.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #53
Square_78

I think its a cool show. Its fun to watch. You cant take these shows too seriously. There is a LOT of editing and stuff you dont see. Im a car guy, and i like this show. Its entertaining and nothing more.

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #54
dukcaln

i would do it, that dude seems pretty stright forward and the show isnt cheesey...
Old 10-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #55
Bow Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukcaln View Post
i would do it, that dude seems pretty stright forward and the show isnt cheesey...
+1
Posted via Mobile Device
Bow Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #56
No3Fan4Ever
Running on empty

I say "go for it" ,,,,,,,,,, Now if some one from 'Operation Repo' calls, run like hell!

We have two rules here at the Rock.
Rule #1: No writing on the walls.
Rule#2: Obey all rules

70 GMC Sierra Grande "Custom Camper" Longhorn 402 Big Block TH400 PS PB factory AC Posi;
94 Bronco XLT 302, auto;worn out daily driver

No3Fan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #57
Square_78

lol

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #58
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
I am flying out to Vegas later this week since my wife got a free room for a conference and i emailed counts customs about coming by. Kevin returned my email saying I was morethan welcome. I am not inthe buying mode, but I do have a restored 71 GMC (avatar) for sale. I plan to show them photos and if they want to give me my asking price it's all his! (they have to figure out how to get it from Austin Tx to Vegas!)

Posted via Mobile Device
I had a good time in Vegas. The tour of Hoover Dam was the highlight. I made it to Rick's Restorations, Count's Kustoms and Gold and Silver Pawn as well. All three of those were about what I expected. Basically an instrument to convey T-shirts, etc.

Rick's did have some stuff they restored on display and the building is set up so that you can see into the various repair areas, but photos weren't allowed due to the fact that they were working on things that would be on future episodes. I spoke with Tyler and Brently and his dog Nana. The girls up front were nice and I bought at shirt with Brently's red 65 (?) chevy pickup on it. They offered to get him to sign it but he left before I could get him to sign it, so Rick signed it. I missed getting to see Kelly, too
;( I saw a visible gas pump, I think it was black and orange. it had been converted to serve beer. One of the girls said it would be on a future epsisode.

Count's had a lot of Danny's cars on display and another t shirt shop. The only person from he cast I saw was Scott the office manager. Other people got their picture taken with him, but I wasn't interested. I did see the purple 48 (?) cab over car hauler and flat black 57 (?) 3100pickup Danny is seen driving on several episodes. I also saw the black and white 57 Chevy 150 that they rebuilt for the Old Man on Pawn stars, but it had the doors and front clip off, engine and trans out (?) THey had a 32 Ford roadster, black with flames (I still have mine from when I was a kid) with a display that said it was the car that the Hot wheels car was made from. I am not a "bike guy", but to me the highlight of their shop was the "chopper" collection.

Gold and Silver Pawn was pretty much elbow to elbow. They had a 50's Hudson in back along with the Indian army bike Count's restored for them. I didn't see any of the cast.

It was raining off and on while I was there, or it probably been more crowded in all three. I gave two ladies from Wisconsin who were on foot a ride to a bus stop from Rick's. Funny thing is, I was last in Vegas 15 years ago and it rained then too!

All in all, they were all nice people and very accomodating.

IMO, I say if someone is interested in being on the show, go for it. I think that there is way too much thought being put into this. Don't sign any paperwork til you look it over well. They can't TAKE your truck from you. I have seen several episodes were people said no. The worst thng that could happen would be they would make a decent off that you you would have to consider.

Last edited by WIDESIDE72; 10-16-2012 at 02:17 PM.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #59
Budman56

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
grow a big beard. Shave it after your appearance and require they not use your real name.

I can't even keep track of how many "we buy a car and restore it in a week" shows there are now. And the premises get weaker and weaker... Saw some ridiculous one on velocity where they were restoring cars in a junk yard and magically found all the rare mopar console parts they needed in the trunk of an impala. Still had year one stickers on them.

Actually, the whole "we have do x by an arbitrary deadline and chaos ensues" thing is creeping into everything (even nova on pbs). I'm really looking forward to the cultural flip to when it becomes "we took our time and did a great job on x, see how amazing it is?" and no one wants to show process, even though everyone claims to want to see it. Last time i bothered to watch "american restoration", which started off ok, people just dropped things off at the beginning and picked them up at the end, and the time between was bs family drama.

The car shows that predated the reality fad (like powerblock and dream car garage) devolved into nonstop advetising segments... How much royal purple do i have to buy?

But there's always been a niche for cheap to produce shows. It was game shows in the 70s, cops shows in the 80s, home video shows in the 90s, and bogus shop shows today. Only now there are 10 times as many channels, so they crank out 10 times as many shows at 1/10th the value.

Could you imagine if "new yankee workshop" was still made today (heck, maybe it is). That guy would have to build a china cabinet for the auction on monday without wood and without showing you any of how he did it.
i know that this thread is a year old but, you hit the nail on the head. All the reality shows are like this and it makes me not want to watch tv, now i spend more time in the garage on my own project.

......................_____
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
Budman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #60
Gokart Mozart

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Could you imagine if "New Yankee Workshop" was still made today (heck, maybe it is). That guy would have to build a China Cabinet for the auction on Monday without wood and without showing you any of how he did it.
That ended in 2009. Try The Woodwright's Shop. 31 years of Olde fashion woodworking. http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/
Gokart Mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #61
Tillik

I would do it in a heartbeat. It would be kinda cool.
Tillik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #62
White70C20

I would too!

This past spring, we went to Eastern Iowa. While we were out there, we went to Antique Archeology (home of the American Pickers) in Le Claire, Iowa. It's a neat shop, but neither Mike or Frank or Danni were around. Kinda bummed.
Posted via Mobile Device

1970 Blue C20 - 250, 4 speed
1985 Ford Thunderbird
2005 Pontiac G6
White70C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #63
Lattimer

I like Counting Cars. If you listen tot hem, they will actually state that the work takes months, not days. I like that its not all about a bunch of drama all the time. I'd do it just to be on the show.

I also like Fast and Loud, but thats mostly just to laugh at the jokers on there.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #64
69vetteside

now theres no reason for me to go to vegas.
i thought i would go and see all the cool cars just cruising the streets and pull one over to buy it to take back to OZ.
truly dissapointed
69vetteside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #65
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

If you guys follow this thread, you'll find that we already have a member who was on the show. I did a little digging to get to the bottom of it, & what was portrayed in the show wasn't exactly true. Read through & you'll see what I mean:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+cars&page=2

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote