The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
bird7263
Urban Chop Shop

Re: Poor mans drop

Again.. Not saying that because of the 30 years it makes it right.. But when you go to shop that is been in business for over 30 years and has been building custom rod and customs that long.. I have a hard time believing that he would send a car out on the road that would be unsafe.. or be wrong for that matter..

I know of dozens of other guys both here in the northwest and on this website that run 3" blocks and have never had an issue.. Just because a company does not make a 3" block does not mean its not ok to run.. food for thought..

Again just my opinion.

1965 Chevy 1/2T Longbox, soon to be a slammed shop truck

Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591266

Semper Fi Marines
bird7263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
Shane
Account Suspended

Opinion has nothing to do with it. It's now useless to further this discussion because it is very apparent that you do not understand scrub-line & interference issues a block of this size has on a trailing arm set up.

I only hope & pray you do not have a flat on the rear of that truck with the 3" blocks when me, my family or someone I know is on the same road as you. I also hope you are not injured when, not if, this occurs.

Good luck.

Last edited by Shane; 03-04-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:28 AM   #3
bird7263
Urban Chop Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Opinion has nothing to do with it. It's now useless to further this discussion because it is very apparent that you do not understand scrub-line & interference issues a block of this size has on a trailing arm set up.

I only hope & pray you do not have a flat on the rear of that truck with the 3" blocks when me, my family or someone I know is on the same road as you. I also hope you are not injured when, not if, this occurs.

Good luck.
I am not trying to argue.. I am only saying that I personally have never seen a problem.. I do understand what would happen if you get a flat. And I do understand scrub-line & interference issues. You are correct on that. I am only offering suggestions that have worked for others and my self. However I have seen a few airbagged and vehicles’ on air fail sparks flying while dragging frame down the freeway.

I apologize to Allen if it seems like I started an argument. This is your thread not mine.

That is one thing I love about this site everyone is very passionate about there trucks and there opinions.. That is what makes our country great. Thanks to you guys that work here and take time out of your days to make this forum happen.

1965 Chevy 1/2T Longbox, soon to be a slammed shop truck

Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591266

Semper Fi Marines
bird7263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
allen123
It'll buff out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird7263 View Post

I apologize to Allen if it seems like I started an argument. This is your thread not mine.

That is one thing I love about this site everyone is very passionate about there trucks and there opinions.. That is what makes our country great. Thanks to you guys that work here and take time out of your days to make this forum happen.
No your fine you have helped out alot

My Build
Cody Allen
allen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
Shane
Account Suspended

yeah it's cheap, but why take the chance of a broken spring when you can pop the lower ball joint, cut the spring and reinstall and KNOW the spring hasn't lost it's temper?

for that matter, cutting it is just as cheap
Old 03-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
nvr_di

What other springs will fit the rear of our trucks? Im lookin for around 5'' in the back. I'll probably end up buying drop springs but I just like knowing my options.
nvr_di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
Shane
Account Suspended

4 inch springs and a 1 inch block will get ya there.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:44 AM   #8
67slammer

i have 3 set of belltech spring for a chevy celeberty that look like the rear springs in our trucks, they are wound real tight top and bottom. i will try to get some pics today. mike
67slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
nvr_di

anyone happen to have a list of what will fit? You never know what one will come across in the yards.
nvr_di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #10
coast2coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr_di View Post
anyone happen to have a list of what will fit? You never know what one will come across in the yards.
Agreed, a list would be nice. It sounds like a jeep TJ, a chevelle, or a g-body (regal, malibu, monte carlo) rear spring should work. And give you about 2" drop.
Anyone know of an original equipment spring that would provide more drop?
coast2coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #11
bowtiedriver2

<----- In need of the poor mans drop. I would really like to find out what is the least expensive way. Can't justify drop spindles and converting to discs right now.

anyone know where to get U-bolts made around northern IL? I am thinking of cutting one coil in the front and going to CJ springs with 2" blocks in the rear.

Intentions...383 sbc (in assembly stage), trans is still not a definate (3, 5, or 6 speed?), 3/5 drop, power disc brake conversion...then some body work.
bowtiedriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:10 AM   #12
chopper103in

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtiedriver2 View Post
<----- In need of the poor mans drop. I would really like to find out what is the least expensive way. Can't justify drop spindles and converting to discs right now.

anyone know where to get U-bolts made around northern IL? I am thinking of cutting one coil in the front and going to CJ springs with 2" blocks in the rear.

dont know exactly where your at but elgin spring in elgin might be able to help you out
they are on larkin ave north of us20 about 6 blocks i think
307 repaced soon with 350
3sp on tree soon replaced with 350 tubo

06 monte carlo
94 chrysler town & country---198K
84 jag xj6
76 sportster---57 panhead
chopper103in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #13
Hard Luck
I've got grease on my mind.

Here is a pic of the heated coils I pulled out of my truck from the last guy. Every spring was collapsed and it ended up riding on 3 of the four bump stops and ripping out the front shocks.

I have cut the coils many times. Worst part, if you cut too much you don't have a suspansion anymore, you have a brick.

Second part to consider is that used springs have diffrent sag. Just because your truck sits level now, does not mean it will after the cut even if you remove the same amount from each spring. Put the springs back from the side you pulled them out of and a good thing about our trucks is that you don't have to remove a whole coil at a time. Which means, if one side is higher you can just pull it again and trim a little to level the truck out.

Lastly, stick to the two coil rule. If you need more than that, you want to get it elsewhere. If you are like most and want a lot of drop, start with 1 to 1-1/2 coils. Do not build up too much heat during the cut or the tension will change which means the ride will change. Hacksaw, cutoff tool, or plasma. Stay away from the torch.

Good luck and enjoy!
Attached Images

Hard Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #14
jrods70

Welcome to the board! You may not have realized it, but you have to be a subscribing member to post for sale messages. Check out the provided link for details on subscriptions.

Last edited by Shane; 03-17-2009 at 06:25 PM.
jrods70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #15
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

Ok i know there is alot of controversy on doing this the old school or cheap way, but this is what some of us get to do. So with that said, if i cut my front springs (in small increments) and do the same for the rear springs, do i still need the rear blocks?? I am trying to lower the front about 1.5 and rear about 4.5. it is really raked at this time and i dont like the look.
VanceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #16
Skirkpat

I would say no to both, but just a many would say yes to the front....The backs are not able to be cut, 2" lowering blocks are as big as you can go "Safely" ..... Neither should be heated.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #17
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

ok thanks and i do understand your position, if you use blocks then you dont have to cut the rear springs or replace them with shorter springs?? i guess i dont understand.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #18
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceH View Post
ok thanks and i do understand your position, if you use blocks then you dont have to cut the rear springs or replace them with shorter springs?? i guess i dont understand.
you can't cut rear springs, they're pigtailed on both ends. Get used Chevelle or Jeep springs, or new lowering springs from a vendor.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #19
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

Perfect!! i did not know they were pig tailed on both ends, ok so lets say i buy some drop springs for the rear, do i still need blocks??
Old 04-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #20
Skirkpat

"Perfect!! i did not know they were pig tailed on both ends, ok so lets say i buy some drop springs for the rear, do i still need blocks??"

If you need up to 2 more inches of drop? figure out where you want it and it will be easier to know how to get there?

Last edited by Skirkpat; 04-15-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #21
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

I am wanting to drop my front 2 inchs and my rear somewhere between 4-5. I am looking for rear springs and have found a "Stepped A arm"? looks promising.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #22
terribleone

I took my springs to a suspension shop and they de-arched them for $25.
Got 2.5" lower. Easy cheap and safe.
terribleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #23
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribleone View Post
I took my springs to a suspension shop and they de-arched them for $25.
Got 2.5" lower. Easy cheap and safe.
You are talking leafs now. Most of this thread refers to coils. Good info though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post

3" blocks are too tall for a trailing arm-type setup.
Shane is right; for 15" wheels. When you go bigger you can run a taller block accordingly. Rule of thumb is +0.5" in block for every +1" in wheel diameter. With that said, I run a 3" block with 22" wheels. I wouldn't want to run much taller blocks than that regardless of scrub line tolerance.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #24
project69c10

Cut them or have some body do it for you.i know when i started to build project 69c10,a good friend of mine owned a junk yard,and sold me a set of ccoils for 10 bucks and cut them down to size,thank god for good friends.wow your truck looks like mine did ,mine is a 69 long bed same color same rims what a flash back
project69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #25
ratridechevy454

Ok if you lower with chevelle springs and put 2" blocks in to get aprox a 4" drop how about the rearend track locate bar? Can you retain the stock one or need a adjustable one?
ratridechevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote