The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2019, 08:36 PM   #51
In The Ten Ring

Re: Loose Lug Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Did you see my post about torque sticks? I use them and have for years, but since losing a wheel (not related to my own work) I have always hand-checked them with a click-style torque wrench.

They've always been right. That is, after all, what they're for - to limit snap torque. But you need the stick, or it's wrong!

Lug nuts + impact gun == bad mojo
Lug nuts + impact gun + torque stick == seems perfect
*You know, I did not see your post! I am just now seeing this and decided to reply to a post for the first time in weeks.

I went to a new shop for tire inspection, the owner being the son of a man my father had many dealings with. He used the "torque stick." I also allowed me into the shop during the inspection, which was very thorough. At first I protested the use of an air tool but he calmly explained and he was right, getting the lug nuts off was pretty easy.

ALSO he explained why I has having all the loose lug nut problems. His explanation: Accord's wheels are aluminum, which were loosing their clear coat badly and were corroding. The hubs and drums being steel, we get "dissimilar metal corrosion" when two different metals, especially aluminum and steel come into contact. There is rust and aluminum oxide at the meeting which breaks away after initial tightening, making the nuts loose as the two surfaces are no longer touching (rust fell away).

He suggested I clean both surfaces with a wire wheel whenever I remove a wheel. I tried this: BOOM. Problem solved. My next drive by there I pulled in and told him "you were right about the wheels AND "torque stick."

I try to be a good guy, admitting my mistakes when I realize those.

I have now found a set of Enkei rims for my Honda, OEM, which I intend to have powder coated in that two-tone effect I asked advice on here many months ago. My original rims are much too far gone, according to several powder coaters.

No more use of a cheater bar needed during wheel removal, no more loose lug nuts. I will still carry it, as I may need it to change some disabled motorist's stuck lug nuts.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:11 PM   #52
kyhillbilly

I was driving my 1970 K10 and pulling a trailer with another full-size pickup on it and the driver's side rear wheel passed me! I pinched a hickey in the seat! A 2 lane country road and luckily no one was in the other lane!
kyhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:59 PM   #53
dmjlambert

I'm glad you're OK. Or maybe you're not, I'm not sure what that pinched a hickey expression means. But I can imagine you considered being passed by your own rear wheel to be an emergency situation. OK everybody, it's time to go out to the truck and check the torque on the lug nuts.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote