The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #51
tswore
built not bought

Re: Classic Industries dash pad

Chuck, those look great! I imagine that the dash feels nicer with the vinyl wrap, right? I know when I do a custom install or panel at work the vinyl wrapped pieces feel sweet. You got me thinkin that is the way to go when I change my interior color. Do you glue just on the underside to make it easier to line up the stitch? When its done does the vinyl move at all? I use some glue at work that is heat activated. I spray both sides, wait for it to dry to where its not tacky, put the pieces together, and heat as I line it up just right. Once it hits 130 degrees, its STUCK. With some of the crazy pieces I make for custom stereo installs, there is no way I could do it with conventional contact cement.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #52
rixjohnson

how much do you think an upholstery shop would charge to put the door panel covers on ?they look great also I could use gm door panels instead of the repoduction
Posted via Mobile Device
rixjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #53
slammed427

Chuck, those look great but they all seem to be for the 81+ generations. Have you done any for the 73-80?

I'm interested in one for my 74, no vin plate cut out w/ac. Also prolly a set of the door panel covers, w/ manual everything.

Instagram: mmmdropp
slammed427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #54
Vernski

I used the classic Ind dash pad it fit just as well as the old one as far as the clips go you have to clean out the slots the clips go in then set the clip in the slot and turn 45 degrees there are two slots to clean out then they will fit properly. I used a xacto blade to cut with and be careful not to go to deep. Its an easy job with two people to handle it setting it in place so the clips line up easier...Venski
Attached Images

Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:34 AM   #55
Stitch
Account Suspended

Tswore - To me they do feel better covered in vinyl. I glue them on the backside because if there is any dips in the dash, the cover will float over them and they will be less noticeable if not gone totally. The glue you have will work wonderful. And as long as you stretch the vinyl taut, it won't be loose and move.

Rixjohnson - you would have to call the upholstery shop of your choice and ask them. We would probably do them for around $50-75 a piece. They are not that hard to install really.

Slammed427 - I have made covers for the 73-80 dash. I just don't have any pictures of them installed. I can make them with or without the vin hole and with or without the a/c indention.
Posted via Mobile Device
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #56
John Gilbert

Where ever they come from, my only complaint is the gage cluster doesn't sit flush in the left and right top corners because it isn't dug out as deep as on an original GM part. That said, when I re-capped the dash on my '79 I went with a Brothers' cap. Has anyone else noticed the top corners on the re-pops aren't as nice?
John Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #57
Blue Chevy 1987

hey stitch. as soon as i get my tax refund ima get at least a dash cover from ya but maybe the door panels too. we will see. im supposed to be saving the money for down payment on a house. buut i can spend some too lol
Blue Chevy 1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #58
Stitch
Account Suspended

Lol. Whenever you're ready you know where to find me. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #59
lbrowne

Hi, new to the site - just wanted to mention Chuck that I really like the covers for the door panels and the dash. I'll be taking a hard look at this option when the sierra gets her place in the garage for more work after my current projects. Right now she's put to work to much to have any down time lol.

Cheers,

lbrowne

Last edited by lbrowne; 02-15-2011 at 10:12 AM.
lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #60
Stitch
Account Suspended

Look forward to doing business with you lbrowne
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Stitch; 03-19-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #61
craigsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernski View Post
I used the classic Ind dash pad it fit just as well as the old one as far as the clips go you have to clean out the slots the clips go in then set the clip in the slot and turn 45 degrees there are two slots to clean out then they will fit properly. I used a xacto blade to cut with and be careful not to go to deep. Its an easy job with two people to handle it setting it in place so the clips line up easier...Venski
Vernski,

Did you get the 190 padded dash or the 240 oem style padded dash? I just bought the abs plastic dash cover and it got cracked during shipping so it will go back to classic. However, I am thinking about spending more and just get the whole dash pad.
craigsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #62
87 chevy silverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernski View Post
were did you get the wood grain from?
87 chevy silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #63
Vernski

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 chevy silverado View Post
were did you get the wood grain from?
http://www.autoanything.com/dash-kits/75A4134A0A0.aspx

87 Chevy here is the link enjoy...Vernski
Old 02-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #64
87 chevy silverado
Account Suspended

thanks........this is just the sticker right?

Last edited by 87 chevy silverado; 02-16-2011 at 03:31 PM.
87 chevy silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:48 AM   #65
Vernski

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 chevy silverado View Post
thanks........this is just the sticker right?
Hi 87 Chevy yes they have an adheasive backing they come on a sheet of clear plastic. you peel a little bit off at a time making sure it's straight as it goes on. this stuff really sticks after the area is cleaned with alcohol. It's kind of like putting down formica with contact cement, make sure it's where it's suppose to go before you make contact cause it's not coming off if ya goof up. If your not sure of yourself have someone that's good with decal's do it. You have to be real calm and take your time. Hope that helps....Vernski
Old 02-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #66
craigsta

Vernski,

Your blue dash looks great. Did you order the padded dash in the factory blue color or did it come in black and you dyed it blue?
craigsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #67
Vernski

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsta View Post
Vernski,

Your blue dash looks great. Did you order the padded dash in the factory blue color or did it come in black and you dyed it blue?
Craigsta you can order them in all the factory colors from Classic Ind. Here is the link www.classicindustries.com/ ....Vernski
Old 02-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #68
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Sign me up for one of these!

http://www.classicindustries.com/tru.../14031899.html
y5mgisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:13 AM   #69
chevymadness

I dont understand why so many people want a vinyl dash lol i just dont get.It havnt you guys ever heard of paint thats how the originals really are.Its just painted sure vinyl looks great but its to easy a fix and looks thrown on to get ride of its scars in someoens garage and looks cheap specially if its stitched out and use it on everything.Its also cheaper and can be done for way less then 100 bucks by just painting it yourself its faster and better!!

It's all about original guys original let me say again original.
chevymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:56 PM   #70
Reziel_1983

I bought a classic industries dash pad and I have had so many troubles with it.. I wouldn't recommend it to ANYBODY. There have been so many humps in the dash pad sticking up while trying to get the clips in. The pad wouldn't correctly go under the weatherstrip in front of the windshield. We had to cut off a LOT of crap that had been sprayed on the bottom part of the pad to get the humps in the pad to go away... and they still aren't gone.

I probably won't be doing business with Classic Industries for a LONG time.

I don't think I'm doing it wrong... if anyone thinks I am maybe they could give me some more information on how to do this. It's my first time to ever take a dash pad off.
Reziel_1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #71
tucsonjwt

chevymadness - can you post pics of your metal dash? I am curious about how your got a metal dash.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #72
Vernski

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
chevymadness - can you post pics of your metal dash? I am curious about how your got a metal dash.
X2 I would be interested also, I sure didn't like the looks of mine without the pad it's real ugly under there...Vernski
Old 03-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #73
chevymadness

Quote:
nope dont need no metal dash my dash is original and doesnt have no crappy vinal.Im going to sand it down and paint it it will look like factory when im done

Old 03-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #74
tucsonjwt

I'm confused. These trucks all came with vinyl padded dashes (73-87). When you remove the vinyl dash you see the metal framework with various holes in it.
Are you talking about removing the vinyl and padding from the dash pad, and sanding down the framework of the pad and painting it?
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #75
chevymadness

Quote:
I'm confused. These trucks all came with vinyl padded dashes (73-87). When you remove the vinyl dash you see the metal framework with various holes in it.
Are you talking about removing the vinyl and padding from the dash pad, and sanding down the framework of the pad and painting it?
yes im talking about removing the actual vinyl padding and painting the actual dash pad.