The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2006, 08:41 PM   #51
68haywagon
I'm watching you!

Re: Neighbors....

My neighbor makes more noise then I do! Whenever I am loud people blame him When he was restoring his mustang he had striaght pipes coming out right in front of the rear tires. He left for work at 7am....rattled my windows and it was just in time for me to wake up for school. For that 4 months I didn't need an alarm Now his truck has glass packs coming off the 390 FBB...he loves letting people know that it runs!! Mostly my other neighbors are cool about the noise though.

Mike
1968 Chevrolet C-10 longbed fleetside - sold
68haywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:59 PM   #52
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

How about a Lacocaracha horn? That would be sweet!
SOON2BLAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:08 PM   #53
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Try to find out who it was and do on to others as others have done to you seems like the note is just a friendly reminder that others live near you also..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:11 PM   #54
70c10swb
no brain no headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68haywagon
My neighbor makes more noise then I do! Whenever I am loud people blame him When he was restoring his mustang he had striaght pipes coming out right in front of the rear tires. He left for work at 7am....rattled my windows and it was just in time for me to wake up for school. For that 4 months I didn't need an alarm Now his truck has glass packs coming off the 390 FBB...he loves letting people know that it runs!! Mostly my other neighbors are cool about the noise though.

Mike
This gives me an idea, im going to start a GHHOA (Gear Head Home Owner Associan [sp])
Old 02-13-2006, 09:47 PM   #55
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

This whole thing bugs me bad.I'm all for being respectful to neighbors,but a note in the mailbox?!I wouldn't change anything if I were you.I wouldn't make it louder and I wouldn't make it quieter,just keep on keepin on till they get the nerve to talk face to face.
I'm sure they are decent people that don't want to risk trouble,but if I got that note I'd be alot more pissed off than if they talked to me in person.The note would make me think that they expect people to bow to their wishes without question or any effort on their part.
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:11 PM   #56
bigblock73
yeller

If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't let the note piss me off, rather I would take it into consideration. They could have been jerks and just simply called the cops.

A few years ago I would have been in the "aw screw 'em" crowd, but I have gotten older, wiser, and become a more responsible person. Being a homeowner, I now realize I like a quiet(er) neighborhood and like to have neighbors who will treat me with respect, as I try to do the same for them. I work hard, spend a lot of time and money on my house, and want to be able to enjoy it without having to listed to unnecessary noises coming from loud cars/trucks, dogs, 4-wheelers, partys, etc.. I could care less if there is a bunch of noise duing the day, but our local noice ordinances go from 9AM to 9PM...anything obnoxiously loud before or after those hours is technically a volation, and whoever is making the racket can technically get in trouble.

Give these people a break, you don't know their circumstances...go over and talk to them and try to work something out. Most of the time, these types of things are just misunderstandings.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:37 PM   #57
canadian trucker
A day should have 30 hours.

i have to agree with everybody be consideret as long as you can work something out. but if they just dont give up well... do they have a front lawn

lol
canadian trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:31 AM   #58
davidh

Hmm I remember when were in college at the trailer park the redneck fords were the alarm clocks. I don't mind loud exhaust starting and driving off its the up and down, up and down the white trash, pushing down his pregnant wife in the front yard, 81 F-150 I hate. Glass packs can be annoying, crack pop. I've always found the turbo mufflers soothing, so much I kept falling asleep once in my roomates corvette drivng 6o miles after working all night. He was in front of me counting all the times I nodded off and veered. A nice gentle hmmmmmmmmm. feel sleepy already good night.
davidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:09 AM   #59
Chevyboy1962
C10 now is a GMC

I agree with the others, find out who left the note, and be nice, if they're a jerk, be the same back.

Leaving a child hood friends house a few friday mornings back, he lives 2 blocks from where I work. I went over there to b.s. with him, but he was sleeping.
Adter leaving I had an old lady chase me down, and threaten me. She claimed I was "speeding", well when you have speed bumps (the really huge ones), you can't go over them real fast with a 4-6 dropped truck, with exhaust hanging low. She "claimed" I was doing 40+ over the bumps. With the scallops on my truck, she does look fast sitting still. Lets just say the locals finest took care of her for me.

Otherwise where i've lived for the last 20 years, i've had really no problems, except for 2, 1 was my next door nieghbor who said my friends were too loud, and it wsn't even 8pm on my 21st birthday party. She was mad because I didn't invite her dead beat drug addict son. But when they would be (literally) be working in there back yard running a rototillar at 3-4 am, or mad any other noise in their bakyard, we never once complained.

The other was the old elderly couple behind us, they called the cops on me for starting up the lawn mower, she "claimed" I was racing around the backyard on a dirt bike. But we never once ever complained about any of their 6 am every morning get-togethers in there backyard waking us up.

I'm surprised when I first started up the freshly rebuilt '72 350 SBC with open headers last July none of the nieghbors complained when I had the engine running @ 2,000 rpms for 25 minutes. But I did get alot of people driving by, and a bunch of cheers.
David

*1963 C10 lwb fleetside, small window 230/4 speed...Blvd Cruiser

*1931 Ford 5 window coupe (soon to be Hot Rod)... Father & Son project
Chevyboy1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:03 AM   #60
Ol'blue72

Yea, I worked 4 pm to 3 am 50 miles from home for years. When my brother, whose house i was living in while he was in Germany, came home for a vacation he said that the neighbors had said that when i set on the front porch at 5 or 6 in the morning with a cold one and a radio unwinding the noise bothered them. I told them directly that i would cease as soon as the dirt bike,4 wheelers and such did the same while i slept days,since most of them worked in the woods so were up at 5 or 6 anyway. I lived there another year, no more problems no more comments! I now live on 3 secluded acres in the woods and can make as much naked noise as i want!!!!!
Ol'blue72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:21 AM   #61
_Dick_
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER

Damm this has been great reading ,I wish i had an answer to add ,kinda feel left out . But one thing 67Chev Redneck wrote did kinda upset me ,his neighbors upstairs "having fun " you can be sure i would be putting a note in their U.S.Mail Box ."Stop having all that fun " but i would sign it with my name and telephone number just incase his wife has a sister.
_Dick_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:40 AM   #62
special-K
Special Order

I`d just roll out easy,it`s all you can do.The truck`s legal,it`s a free country,we have to put up with our neighbors,blah blah blah...
I`d introduce myself and talk about it.If they`re jerks about it,what can you do but not feel so bad.If they are new neighbors,they`ll get used to it,really.I live in the country.When I try to sleep in a town,I have a hard time.People that live there don`t.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:41 AM   #63
67sub

Have the note laminated and hang it in your back window - like the old Baby On Board signs. Whoever put it in your mailbox will let you know. It worked for me anyway. If you are legal don't worry about it, if you aren't I'd suggest getting that way because the next time it will be the police telling you a neighbor is complaining. But at least the police could tell you who is complaining if they haven't made themselves known by that point. I had a pissy neighbor complain about my 67 sub being too loud, I laughed because it was a bone stock 475,000 mile 292 I6 with stock exhaust. You can bet they loved the NOT STOCK 350 that went in (and had to be "tuned" every night for a week with open headers). Yes, I was an ass but it felt good.

Last edited by 67sub; 02-14-2006 at 09:51 AM.
67sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:49 AM   #64
ClemsonChevy
8 vehicles only 4 that run

I can't reisist! \/

72 Chevy C10 LWB fleetside
ClemsonChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:55 AM   #65
1969 C/K CST
A.K.A- Crummy

I try to get along with my neighbors but I will draw the line at some point. Things persist, I'd probably do a pro street burnout in front of there house first thing in the morning to show the difference between loud and quiet. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:15 AM   #66
71RestoRod

Goes around comes around. I would just try and be considerate. As soon as you get pissy and do burnouts and such... that's when you find out that your neighbor's 80 year old dad just passed on with a yard full of old Chevy trucks that they don't know what to do with...

When I fired my Blazer up the first few times, my neighbor said "wutcha buildin' there, a race car???" I said, "Terribly sorry... is it too loud?" to which he replied "Hell no!! Sounds great!". I guess good neighbors are worth their weight in gold.

Last edited by 71RestoRod; 02-14-2006 at 10:19 AM.
71RestoRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:39 AM   #67
Joe67
67 is sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by farside847
found this in my mailbox....

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:52 AM   #68
CHEVYE
my gas saver

Neighbor.......... what the hell is a neighbor???
Attached Images

ebay feedback
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:54 AM   #69
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I guess since we're on the "neighbor's" kick I went to thanksgiving at a family member's home a couple years ago in one of them nice neighborhoods and I drove my POS (but mechanically sound and very quiet) 86 toyota truck. They got a note in their mailbox from an "anonymous concerned citizen" that they didn't want vehicles that looked like mine parked in the street... did you know that if you pop the clutch hard enough you can do a 300' burnout in an '86 toyota?
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:16 PM   #70
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I had a jerk neighbor, always complaining about my cars and stereo, and my friends, anything.

When I had my house for sale he would blast his stereo while people were looking at my house.

I went to his door to tell him to knock it off, and he began to rant again about this being payback for me being so noisy.

I punched him in the face right through his screen door.

He turned his stereo off , and I sold my house.

He did leave me a bill for a new screen door. I might just pay it one of these days.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:14 PM   #71
Rdrdave
Broke and still trying

I hate notes! They left one on my dad's (He's 82 years old) 85 honda civic. He was visiting my sister and parked across the street. The "neighbor" left a not saying they didn't like him parking his old car in front of their house because if they had guest they wanted the parking. So I took my 2.25 exhaust with flows, patina'd 68 lwb and parked it. Now how do you like that lawn ornament! When he came to complain he made a big deal about it, I let him know what the law was and for him to go F**** himself. I was a guest and had the right to park anywhere except his driveway. He stares at me when I go visit but I speak to his wife. Oooh does that piss him off. She's an attorney and knows that I am not some punk a** kid. I take pride in my cars/trucks and she says he's that way since he's been retired. Hell get a job!
Rdrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:32 PM   #72
davidh

Now, I remember my mother's neighbor asking me if I had got rid of my "loud" truck? I said no. Just working on it in the garage. I guess I was coming home around 4am when I came back from college breaks. But I wasn't over-reving it or anything. My last neighbor had a 96 dodge pu with flowmasters and it was alarm clock or my last snooze if wasn't out of bed by this I'd better be. People have to start their cars to get to work or get home. I accept that. My own little brother was *****ing last december about me working on my truck at 9:45pm. He's kind of manic depressant though. I told him if he called the police over something trivial like that they would laugh at him. He might be able to change a flat tire at the most. I remember when he called me and told me the gas pedal broke on his 79 cutlass and left it on the road side. I laughed histerically. I said you couldn't figure out how to put a paper clip on the carb to get it home? But he made A's in calculous 2. Not a lick of common sense. Family. You just got to love them.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:40 PM   #73
davidh

Oh, my gf's grandmother is the worst. Recently I was moving(2wks ago) and she was driving by all the side streets watching me move my old project cars and trucks. I parked one(out the 10) at my gf's house, freshly painted 81 chevy PU. She left a note saying I needed to find a place to park it. She also griped about the tires under a tarp behind the back porch(she had to go and pull the tarp off to see). She's so noosey. My gf said don't worry about it. I rent this house. Im out of town now. If I was there my daily driver would be there anyway?:! I told my gf I"m getting her Gmother some binoculars and a spy kit for her birthday so she can park farther away while she's doing surveillance on me. I bet she's going nuts over the fact I changed the lock on the garage door and parked a truck trailer up to it so she can't snoop around. Too much time on her hands I'd say.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:38 PM   #74
OleBlue69

A girl I used to date lived in what I call an "oldie" neighborhood. Nothing but old geezers with nothing better to do than find something to sit around and complain about. Anyway, when I would go to her house, I would put it in second gear as I would top the hill to get to her house. With it in lower gear and the rpms up higher than normal plus the flowmasters, they automatically assumed that I was flying up the hill at unheard of speeds "making lots of racket." They called the cops on me several times. So I quit driving my 69 to her house and only drove the daily driver which also has one flowmaster on it. That was also too loud for them and called the cops on me for that truck too.

My solution: I installed some of those JCWhitney horns that are loud as sh!t. Now whenever I am out late at night and need to relieve some stress, I cruise by and play what I call the horn game, which means driving by real slow with the horn pressed non-stop and then high tail it out of there.
OleBlue69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:52 PM   #75
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck
Then what's the problem with going over and talking to the person with the "noisy motor" IN PERSON? Why leave a note ON A NAPKIN in a MAILBOX. Did you know it's against FEDERAL LAW to put ANYTHING in a mailbox that wasn't deliverd by the USPS?
This is an attempt to be nice and let him know that he is being disturbing w/o confrontational. I don't see why you're making a fuss about it or why you seem to be so defensive here. The neighbour coulda done any number of things including calling the cops, flattening his tires, parking in front of his driveway so he couldn't leave, but instead they chose to leave a note in the mailbox. You CAN'T get much nicer than that. You don't get the discomfort of talking directly from either end - the neighbor gets their point across, the owner of the truck is notified, no harm, no folly, no lawsuits, no cops, no harassment.

Talk to some of the guys on this forum with nutbag neighbours - there have been many posts about this in the last year. He obviously has kind and considerate neighbors for not making a ruckus to notify him and actually trying to contact him before a lawyer, the city or an officer of the law.

By bringing "federal law" into the matter (assuming that's a legit piece of info), you're really only clouding the matter at hand, really. I don't understand why you included that tidbit, it doesn't really support your case at all.

I'll make two points here:

It's almost not safe to confront people anymore without getting into a fist fight or shot.

It's possibly against the law to have loud/noisy vehicles depending on sound ordinances in your area.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote