The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2007, 06:17 PM   #51
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Paysa/Redneck/Jerry Rigged WTF were they thinking MOD?

I did some trading and got an S-10 for the oldest son (good trade, huh?).

Anyway, we're driving it home (I am) and all of a sudden, we're off of the street into a parking lot. Seems that the right tie rod end has dropped out of the link and it's on the pavement. Now, how do I get it home so I can fix it?? Oh, here's a shop towel. I put the rod end back into the arm, tied it on with the shop towel and drove ever so cautiously to the house.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:30 PM   #52
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

I guess i am one lucky dude....lol i have baught both my trucks form the original owners, the P.O on my 72 was 60 years old when i baught it form him...he orderd the truck new and never rigged anything,it was all stock when i got it. I have taken him and his wife for several rides after i redid it the first time...and if he is still kicking when i get her done this time,,he has got the first ride.. The wife baught my 67 for me from the original owner , he lived in Riley Indiana. i didnt know she was buying it for me...the only riggin he ever did to it was put a old glass pepsi bottle for an over flow from the radiator. the wifes 49 i baught from the original family(i work with the P.O daughter, and i just sold a 50 buick and was looking for something. and one day while going over flag sheets she mentioned it to me and, i baught it sight unseen, it had sat in a heated garage since 89 when her dad passed...My other projects...lol the I.H is just a body and my 33 sedan..well its a body and a frame... i havent found any riggin on it yet...
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:52 PM   #53
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Two good ones come to mind. An old boss of mine bought a 36 Ford Coupe, that had some "Hillbilly" repairs. The front seats were too short so they used sections of 4x4 as risers. It has sheetmetal screws holding the seats to the 4x4 and more sheetmetal screws through the floor holding that in place.

Apparently the PO had an abundance of 4x4's around because he used one for a transmission crossmember too.

Recently I went to look at a 68 I found on Craigslist. Someone had cut the coresupport at each end, and near the hood latch brace so they could pull the motor. No biggie since they bugger welded it back together with coat hangers and a stick welder.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:44 AM   #54
68K20 x Drill

Re: look at this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
The PO of my last truck (the Dope Smokin old man... many of you remember his crazy antics) had wanted a custom (by custom, i mean fugly) headliner in there, so he made the fugly headliner, and drove the screws through the top of the cab with his drill.... yes, THROUGH the top of the cab.
I just talked with a guy who had Toyota do that to his new car installing an overhead TV screen.

Me, I went to back up the company F@rd work truck, and the tire hit the fender. When I looked underneath , the front to back rod was missing its bushing. i jammed the wheel forward against a curb, and had another guy help me tie some red n black rope very tight in the gap where the bushing had lived. It worked fine all day. I probably could have left it like that, but I put a new part in the next day.

Coming up the Grapevine out of LA there was a lot of paving and smoke. I was criusing happily in my friends TPI swapped '66 El Camino, towing home his new Model T and some spares. I was marveling at the intensity of smoke just before the tranny started to slip, and I coasted into the last middle of nowhere gas station going up the grade. 10:30PM, not many tools, and no parts for miles. If it weren't for the construction smoke, I would have noticed long before that the crank pulley had cut a hole in the trans cooler line. I felt like I was done, and sat at Denny for awhile. I kept thinking there was an entire car on the trailer, I had to be able to do something. after a good search through the pile, there isn't much tube on a T, the brakes are all pushrods and leather. Oil pickup tube on the spare engine, out comes the hacksaw! I found a hose with 1 1/2" of extra on the car somewhereto use as a coupler. No spare hose clamps anywhere. Baling wire twisted tight did the trick. Next I bought all the ATF at the gas station for $6 a quart or so, and it was just enough. The bit of model T Ford probably still rides with that car.

84 Chevrolet Suburban K20 6.2 Banks turbo TH400/NP208 Now with G80

68 GMC C20 Parts? Truck

And a few cars
68K20 x Drill is offline   Reply With Quote