The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #51
70rs/ss

Re: street/strip blazer build

I think it was more about use a 4X to cut up than a nice original 70 2wd. I believe that is a fair statement. I own a 2wd (72) and I plan to make it mine, but no notch, roll cage or anything else that couldn't be unbolted. A 4X Blazer can be had pretty inexpensively, then all the same mods made to it without losing a 2wd in the process. The frontend on a 4X actually is 1" taller, which makes for 1" of drop when converted to a 2wd, as well as the rear accepting the aftermarket swing arm set up, so really using a 2wd Blazer for a foundation of a "LOW" 2wd or a dragster isn't necessary, but in the end it is your's and therefore your's to cut up. I see it from both sides, I'd rather have the nice 2wd 70 as a stocker or slight resto-mod and a 4X made into a frame dragger or dragster. I think most of the freak out comes from those folks that can't even find a 2wd, let alone being able to afford to buy or cut up for that matter, and I understand those feelings as well. I want to put a 496 in mine with a TKO 500, but that isn't going to hurt the value, as all of that stuff is a bolt in. Good luck with it, and consider the member's advice about selling the 2wd for $3-4k and putting that into a 4X, then you'd have the $$$ to be working on it! Either way, I like it!

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 05-24-2008 at 08:24 PM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:42 AM   #52
smbrouss70

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8 View Post
Me, I'm (This was secretly aimed at me, right Steve?)
Of course not, Craig!

I've been gung-ho about you using GQ's body for a 2wd since I first met you. I just want to ride in it when you finish it.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build

Last edited by smbrouss70; 05-26-2008 at 02:42 AM.
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:53 AM   #53
AKoldstyle

I like the prostreet look so much I took a 72 cst, with a/c and p/s 4x4 and made it 2 wheel drive and molested the metal smooth and wider untl i got the look i wanted. Plus how many do you see out there. LOL pro suv is going to catch on i swear. These body styles rule and a blazer hides the cage well. I meen come on doesnt a blazer giving reegan wilson a run 4 his money sound good. ok that might be a stretch. lets let our fellow truck lovers decide which way they want 2 go and support them or just be quiet.
AKoldstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #54
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu 496 View Post
I do plan on keeping the stock rear suspension. There is a guy here in MN that runs mid 9's in a 67 c10 with stock truck arms. I dont know if I will put a 9" in or beef up the 12bolt.
The truck 12 bolt isn't a good idea for the power levels you are going to need to reach your projected ET.

The weak link on these rears are the tiny 1.438" pinion diameter. Compared to the passenger car 12 bolt with it's 1.625" diameter.

Doesn't sound like much, but with moderate power it's easy to snap the pinion on the truck rear,,,,i've broken a couple Just a heads up.

Plan on some serious HP to reach a 9 second ET. My chevelle at a race weight of 4,108 lbs. and 638hp at the flywheel N/A has gone 11.40's at 118 mph on a 275 drag radial.
As heavy as it is, it would require close to 700 hp to hit high 10's with no other changes. And I've got aerodynamics on my side compared to a blazer that is shaped like a brick.
They are like pushing a barn door through the wind. To hit 9's with a blazer is going to require serious HP, more than likely done with a power adder if you want to stay streetable. Or some serious weight reduction. More than likely a combination of both.

Sounds like a cool build, I admire anyone that takes a big and heavy car/truck and makes it go fast. Don't let people get to you about cutting up a blazer. Honestly I never thought of them as all that collectable, although I realize there is a following for these things. But high values used in the same sentence as blazer seems a bit strange to me. In my opinion you got a fair deal on a plain jane 2wd blazer with a 6 banger. Do with it what makes you happy, that's what counts.

I've done my fair share of chalk mark restorations and still have a couple of cars in the stable like that. But I can also appreciate some of the modified stuff out there. That's what makes this hobby turn. Goodluck with the build.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote