The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 05:05 PM   #51
fastom
That's right, it's Copper!!

Re: Lowered Trucks and the Police

ttt

Last edited by fastom; 09-04-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:21 PM   #52
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69halfton View Post
you guys think you got it bad, at least your only getting tickets....

im not too sure the status on it right now, but i know they are having a political vote on it.

If a cop pulls you over, and notices that your car (or truck) is modified for speed, handeling etc, other then stock (that includes exaust systems) they can impound your car and crush it, at the officers discresion.

This is in Ontario Canada.

all i know is one thing, they make that a law, and ill be moving elsewhere in one big hurry.
that will never ever happen here ever> PERIOD i would like to see someone take my truck say this or that and crush it.. fat chance .........and i ll just give my .02 real quick. i am a white male 29 6/2 285 shaved head long goatee and both arms sleeved and one full leg , and a pretty big rap sheet for fighting......i use to get pulled over alot. not for a plate issue, but because bottom line is my ride was nicer than the cops and as usally i was half thier age, i went to jail twice for being a smarta$$ to a cop... what you need to do is find all the local laws about any modifications that you have done to your truck, copy them, lots of copys,and keep them close and the next time you get pulled over for whatever reason as you grab your regastration or insurance card, grab those copys also.... as the cop is doing whatever in his car, find the law that he said you have broken,and when he brings you back a ticket or warning. produce (THE LAW). to him that you havent broken any laws... i live in a town of about 2000 and , after a few times on me proving im right, then and there that i wasnt in the wrong they let me be........
Old 09-04-2007, 07:25 PM   #53
jorgensensc

My .02. I have been pulled over 3 times in My neighborhood by my neighborhood constables for haveing a "suspicious vehicle" My truck is 4 different colors and honestly sticks out like a sore thumb in my neighborhood (alot of lexus, bmw, mercedes, etc). I pull over, turn off the truck, and put my hands on the steering wheel, turning on the dome light inside the cab at night. This generally gives the officer a little warm and fuzzy about approaching me. They run my plates, talk to me to find out my intentions, and let me go on about my way. They have a very hard job that not many understand. They spend most of thier taking reports after criminal activity has occurred and trying to deter criminal activity by interaction with the public. Profiling is honestly the only real tool they have. Example: If i gave you 3 cups, 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue, and out of 4 tries the blue cup had a 20.00 in it 3 out of 4 times. You would probably look in the blue cup again the 5th time. It sucks, but it is a way of life. Don't get rid of your truck, but maybe instead of driving a bagged out truck, maybe build an original style, or slightly modified, It might draw less attention and will give you a little less hassle. I definately would not confront the officer, or you will end up in jail, and calling his boss won't get you anything but continually pulled over. And BTW, I'm a 30 y/o white guy, clean cut ( I am a Houston Firefighter.) So I don't think it's you completely, but maybe the truck combined with you that raises suspicion. JMHO.
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
Old 09-04-2007, 07:39 PM   #54
Primered_69

Actually solego is a Chopper Copper - which I believe means he was being sarcastic and is a cop
Old 09-04-2007, 07:46 PM   #55
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastom View Post
Solego,

I found your post on Jim Carter to be well thought out and very professional. I'm not able to say that about your last two posts on this topic.

I thought this was a rant about "stereotyping" and "profiling".

Solego, you just put every cop into a group that "Sucks" or "Blows". Sounds like stereotyping doesn't it?
Relax dude, you might want to look at what he does for a living, then you will see the sarcasm in his replies I've been in his shoes, and poked the same fun at myself. It a form of what we call "black humor."

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
Old 09-05-2007, 12:00 AM   #56
fastom
That's right, it's Copper!!

OK, I feel like a dumba**.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:14 AM   #57
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

I mess around in my camaro, its got 275/60/r15s in the back, and polished weld draglites, legal exhaust, and stock sountsystem and about everything else. any cop pulls me over im gonna say what exhaust? what sound system? if they try to say anything is wrong with my camaro, my dads an ex viet nam vet, he was drafted, he drag raced the AHRA and ran 4 cars and held 3 world records, he knows the law because we almost got in trouble by the state for owning a small handfull of cars, even though we were legal, the county just hates us (dont know why, corrupt Aholes) so now they cant touch us, my dad is always on the ball because if he slips up on his zoning the country will instantly evict us and probally crush our cars just like they did to our buddy. They will do anything for money and to piss someone off, but yet none of their buddys properties are legal. It also helps i have a married in uncle who is a detective on the police force, and knows about everyone on it.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Old 09-05-2007, 03:45 AM   #58
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

I represent the 50's age group but as you can see by the pictures not your average old guy. I live in a city of 100.000 people so it's not huge so I do stand out when driving my lowered trucks. The only gang here worthy to speak of are the Hell's Angels. This does not do me any favours when it comes to not trying to be a cop magnet when you consider my appearence. The H/A's in Nanaimo are one of the most prosperous chapters in Western Canada so I can only imagine that puts them on the radar.

I've had long hair pretty much my whole life so I know what It's like and how your treated when your young and when your older. I treat people how I like to be treated .... with respect! I find this goes a long way in life. Of course this is just MHO.

esll.
Attached Images

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)
Old 09-05-2007, 04:13 AM   #59
Peter82
Everything is Custom

Fu@k thows guys.. my brother was in a lowride club here in ohio and they would get pulled over for all kinds of stuff. You should get a lawyer and take this **** to court. Teach these double sided cops to fo screw them selfs... did i mention my bro is now a cop and do ride alongs with him... we pull people over for little tickatable things just to see if they have other bigger things to get them on but if the people on the street arent doing anything worng we dont mess with them

so... dont play with your air ride while driving, keep it at a resonable height, keep good insurance, and just keep happy when you get pulled over... the yes sir/ no sir crap. a cop knows if he is going to write u a ticket as soon as u start speeking. be polite and all will be fine...

but screw thows guys.. they are profiling you and profiling is wrong. ha ha
Old 09-05-2007, 04:46 AM   #60
combustion

im surpriced "bobthecop" has not replied to this....
i would like to hear his opinion. he always brings up another point to look at
lol
If it`s 3.73 ratio you will spint the wheel 100 times to the driveshaft`s 373 times.Or,if you`re lazy,you could just spin the wheel once and the driveshaft will spin 3.73 times.Or, 3 and 3/4 turns.And if you`re real lazy,I can sell you a tab for whatever ratio you want.
Or,you could read all the suggestions and try those.It`s been well explained,I think,already.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:37 AM   #61
Solego
Dr. Frankentruck's Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock35ipsc View Post
Relax dude, you might want to look at what he does for a living, then you will see the sarcasm in his replies I've been in his shoes, and poked the same fun at myself. It a form of what we call "black humor."
I thought my avatar would have given it. Maybe these will help.
The tractor is the only thing I'm allowed to fly.
Attached Images

Project SLOMO
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430494
Old 09-05-2007, 06:42 AM   #62
HomerJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter82 View Post
and just keep happy when you get pulled over... the yes sir/ no sir crap.
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have NEVER called an officer "sir". I have always been respectful and talked to them like I work with them or went to school with them or otherwise have "known them all my life". They always relax when I treat them that way - I guess there's no reason to think I'm trying to hide anything and that I don't seem nervous. In over 22 years of driving, I have been pulled over probably 20 times or so. I have only received one ticket and that was by a cop in a "town" (Hall Park, for any fellow Okies that might know about it) in which the sole source of revenue was traffic citations. Come to think of it, that little town accounts for 3 of my traffic stops. One of them was for having one of those deer-head hitch ball covers (partially blocks the view of the license plate) - what an idiot!!! I have always wondered if a trailer would be considered the same..... When the cop asked me "Sir, do you know why I pulled you over tonight?", I told him that I had no idea, as I was not speeding, not swerving, all of my lights worked and my exhaust was not loud. His reply was "uh, the deer head". I must have looked like a deer head, myself - you know, the one staring into the headlights... I was a little confused because I was just returing from a deer hunt and there were antlers in the back of my truck!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bits View Post
Yeah, Learned the hard way not to wave at a cop too.
Again, maybe I'm lucky or it's due to the fact that I live in Oklahoma (I always hear that the people are nice here when "out-of-towners" come around). I wave at cops passing by from time to time. More often, when I am driving my 67 Chevelle, the cops wave at me!!! I did have a cop pull me over to check out my car - but his reason was legitmate - I had no tail lights. My rusty (as of right now) 67 LWB doesn't get much attention from the cops in most cases.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:41 AM   #63
Gray Ghost

I got pulled over regularly back in the 70's...mostly for stuff I shouldn't have been doing in my car. I found out right away that NOT looking like trouble spoke words to the officer when he got to the window.

Being of ANY nationality is not a crime, nor is a tattoo or a lowered truck, but if you look like the people that regularly cause trouble...and you drive a vehicle that looks like those regularly driven by those who cause trouble, you are going to get stopped....period. Worked against me once or twice back int eh 70's and I guess it always will.

As far as profiling goes, I am not one to say much about it other than if you look suspicious to the cops, I'm behind them stopping anyone if it saves lives or stops/solves crimes.

I am about to build a 2/4 drop stepside. While it won't be a ground scraper, it might raise some eyes around town. I'll report back if I get stopped an hassled when I get it built and running.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:47 AM   #64
williamt
68 just like me

The next time they pull you over take out a tape recorder and turn it on and inform the officer that the following conversation is being recorded and ask all of the questions you want to ask in the nices tone of voice you can. But first make sure you are not in violation of any laws Ga. where I live has single party consent to recording.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:57 AM   #65
67 cst swb

It is an age and appearance thing... I had long hair back in High School. I got pulled over all the time. Once for unsecured license plate (bailing wired on) and once for appearing drunk (trying to put my horn button back in my 67 P/U steering wheel, I only have one arm so you can imagine how straight I was driving, but I was sober)
But, being a young "Longhair" I was pulled over at least twice a month. Now that I'm almost 40 & now have very short hair. I drive the same and never get pulled over.
I feel for you. Can't imagine what exactly your going thru. But, How a person looks does affect how they are treated. It's not right, but it happens.
Don't sell the truck, Next time your pulled over NICELY ask the cop what you need to change on the truck to not get pulled over anymore, tell him "NICELY" your feeling harrassed and singled out, if he replies about your personal appearance, "ask him if you can quote him on that in court?" (just kidding don't say that, he might take your there)
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White

Last edited by 67 cst swb; 09-05-2007 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:06 AM   #66
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE View Post
I represent the 50's age group but as you can see by the pictures not your average old guy.
Well young man you got me by 5 years. I wonder do I ned to change my avatar to senior. Looks like a nice truck you got there young man.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:12 AM   #67
67 cst swb

EAST SIDE LOW LIFE....
Dude, based on that second picture alone,... I'd pull you over if I were a cop... Thas a guilty look if I ever saw one...
My mental caption for that photo is:
"What? I wasn't doing anything..." then I pictured a beer on the curb in front of the tire while pulled over on main street.
Just kidding,... Nice truck by the way...
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White

Last edited by 67 cst swb; 09-05-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:57 PM   #68
chevy72blu

Where are you in AZ? Im still flirting with the idea of bringing mine down to ASU- I dont think I would catch **** about ride height, but exhaust noise? EHM....

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
Old 09-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #69
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 cst swb View Post
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE....
Dude, based on that second picture alone,... I'd pull you over if I were a cop... Thas a guilty look if I ever saw one...
My mental caption for that photo is:
"What? I wasn't doing anything..." then I pictured a beer on the curb in front of the tire while pulled over on main street.
Just kidding,... Nice truck by the way...

First of all no offense taken by your comment.

My wife Linda and I went on a little cruse this morning as "Corn" wanted to see some pictures of our truck that were a bit more artistic then my drive way. So we decided to go up to West Wood Lake one of about 5 lakes that that our little city has and take a few pictures. Linda is 5ft. 2in tall so that gives you an idea of how low the truck sits. I attached a picture of Linda and myself. We are a happily married couple with two children in there middle twenties. We have both worked hard and are now retired and enjoying the fruits of our labour.

I quit drinking and smoking several years ago so I guess I'm what you refer to as being straight. Thats ok as I did my fare share when I was not on the straight and narrow. The cops know who are the bad apples their not stupid. If you get pulled over because your lights don't work or your speeding or driving in a wreckless manor thats to bad take it on the chin and get smart. When I was younger I brought allot of trouble my way as we all have done. Some people don't grow up and they still find trouble at their door.

So whats my point in all of this .... the truth lies in the middle always has and always will. I've met some real bad cops and then again I've met some nice ones that really cared. I've met some really bad people in my time who wear business suits and I've met some really good people that wear levis. You can not judge a book by it's cover you have to read a few pages to get the gest of it.

esll.

I'm happy your not a cop! Just kidding.
Attached Images

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 09-05-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #70
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
Well young man you got me by 5 years. I wonder do I ned to change my avatar to senior. Looks like a nice truck you got there young man.

I'm 55 year old soon to be 56. Your avitar is just fine old man!

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 09-05-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:22 PM   #71
Solego
Dr. Frankentruck's Monster

Record your conversation, take it to court, talk to the chief, contact the NAACP...ACLU...etc.

So much mistrust. I always find that when one tells a story of how they were unfairly targeted or treated, they seem to leave out parts of the story that may make them look unsavory. Of course, no one ever speeds, runs stop signs, runs red lights, fails to signal, purchases drugs from known drug areas, burglarizes houses, burglarizes cars, batters another person, stalks women, or murders anyone.

So much mistrust. Yet, the same people who do not trust we the police, expect us to to come aleaping at their every beckoning. I believe I will start my own thread to display the arrogance of some of the law abiding citizens in my neck of the woods.

Good Day.

Project SLOMO
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430494
Old 09-05-2007, 06:23 PM   #72
bodydropped69

Wow , there has been lots of replies since I last checked. I have checked the statutes for AZ, thanks for the members who posted them here. And I also have fixed most of the things that I need to. I have yet to drive the truck again yet, but will probably drive it this weekend. I will try to respond to some of your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy View Post
Is it the same cop or are they taking turns. I would research local laws or consult the DMV for offenses you are getting harrassed about. Maybe keeping copies of the laws they are hassling you about in the glove box is the key. Politeness ALL the time helps, they will get tired of harrassing you. I guess they are waiting for the day you smell of booze or pot. Definately NOT a good idea of taking the truck to the local pub. Hey, IF you gotta be legit and drive it just to make them harrass you, documentation, dates/times, officer names may be worth taking to an attorney.
I was very respectful everytime I was pulled over. It has been different cops everytime. It just seems like everytime I get pulled over it is for something different, If it was illegal this time than why did the last cop not say something about it ?

[QUOTE=Primered_69;2340674]
Also what are the tatoos in question on the arms of? Are they black prison style tats? Or are they color? I work in the booking section of a major county jail. Most prison gang tats are not done in color. Therefore, if you do have black tats be prepared to explain what they mean. Also avoid numbers and certain drug/cohol symbols.

Remember when the cop pulls you over the what set/ gang do you claim? Have you ever been to prison is a fishing expedition? You be suprised how many people tell things when they ask these questions. You may have had either a gang officer or a new boot that was just doing his thing.

QUOTE]

My tattoos are all in the process of color so everything is outlined in black and starting to get filled in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy72blu View Post
Where are you in AZ? Im still flirting with the idea of bringing mine down to ASU- I dont think I would catch **** about ride height, but exhaust noise? EHM....
I am in gilbert AZ.

I got to get back to work but will definitely check back later.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:39 PM   #73
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

ESLL i hope im half as cool as you are when im your age oh btw that is one bad a$$ pool table, my dad use to have a brunswick<spell it was a 5x9 with leather pockets and gold inlays .was nice he baught it at for 100 bucks from bank one .......i love me some pool my favorite game
Old 09-05-2007, 08:00 PM   #74
Scott68-93-97

Ive been pulled over a lot in my 97 its on bags, Ive gotten 3 seatbelt tickets in the truck and all three times I was wearing it 2 times I contested the ticket and lost showing from the officers point of view you would not be able to see if I had a belt on, one of the times the officer in court wasn't the officer that pulled me over and I asked him to describe the truck and he said it was a 4x4 and I still lost, but the other 2 times I got the ticket the cops even liked the truck and asked me to opperate the switches for them after getting the ticket and tried to act buddy buddy, they just grab attention, thats the bottom line, good luck. We all need it when it comes to driving a custom truck around "the man"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...44#post2286144

1993 XtdCab Longbed 4x4 6.5Turbo/NV4500 "Daily Driver"

1985 Toyota XtdCab 4x4 22re/W-56/Dual T-cases, Doug Thorley Header, Homebrew front and rear spring packs, Tons of Mods to suspension and drivetrain, 35" boggers, coming soon ARB's and 5.29's, Possible 4.3/700r4 swap
Old 09-05-2007, 08:02 PM   #75
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solego View Post
Record your conversation, take it to court, talk to the chief, contact the NAACP...ACLU...etc.

So much mistrust. I always find that when one tells a story of how they were unfairly targeted or treated, they seem to leave out parts of the story that may make them look unsavory. Of course, no one ever speeds, runs stop signs, runs red lights, fails to signal, purchases drugs from known drug areas, burglarizes houses, burglarizes cars, batters another person, stalks women, or murders anyone.

So much mistrust. Yet, the same people who do not trust we the police, expect us to to come aleaping at their every beckoning. I believe I will start my own thread to display the arrogance of some of the law abiding citizens in my neck of the woods.

Good Day.
Amen brother!
Closed Thread